HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 Around the League Discussion

Old
12-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
This organizations has a history of making poor decisions in this aspect: Bertuzzi, Chara etc. Under Snow, I haven't seen anyone improve with the exception of MacDonald, Tavares (kinda inevitable), Nielsen, maybe Martin.

Either we're drafting poorly. Or developing poorly.
I'm worried about this.

I feel very strongly that we have enjoyed above-average drafts in each of Snow's drafting years aside from 2010, which nonetheless has given us 3 very valid prospects.

However, we've seen our favorite team do SOOO many unorthodox things with our kids that it's hard to believe things will turn out right.

JT is the biggest given, but really he's the only Snow-drafted player who is having any major impact - and I'm writing that about a kid who hasn't scored in 10 games.

Naturally, Martin and Hamonic have been great finds and look like they're gonna have long, successful careers.

I also like how things had been done with Nielsen, MacDonald and Comeau, who were all given enough time down on the farm - none were Snow-drafted.

On the other hand, Bailey has given much reason for concern. No-one else has been blowing anyone out of the water yet. None of the drafted goalies have taken steps forward this year - heck, one has even been shipped back to Europe. de Haan looks like a real project.

And now we've gotta be wondering what the H E double hockey sticks is going on with Niederreiter.

To date, I'm really worried about the 'development' aspect of this organization. Really worried.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 12-01-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 05:28 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
On the other, Bailey has given much reason for concern. No-one else has been blowing anyone out of the water yet. None of the drafted goalies have taken steps forward this year - heck, one has even been shipped back to Europe. de Haan looks like a real project.
as I wasnt around at the time, im not sure...but bailey was projected as a late first rounder, right? but then we went ahead and wasted a 8th overall on him? well, perhaps he just isnt that good!?

Last edited by luki here: 12-01-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
as I wasnt around at the time, im not sure...but bailey was projected as a late first rounder, right? but then we went ahead and wasted a 8th overall on him? well, perhaps he just isnt that good!?
Going into that draft, most services had him placed between 12th and 17th.

We took him 9th overall. Vancouver took Hodgson 10th. Myers ended up going 13th.

He was coming off a 96 point season. I still don't now why this team didn't let him have one more year of OHL hockey and what likely would have been a key role in the WJC? There seriously was no rush to have him on that team. It was doomed to fail - they could have just had Colliton in the 4th line role or signed another AHL-bubble type - if not a real NHLer.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 08:57 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Going into that draft, most services had him placed between 12th and 17th.

We took him 9th overall. Vancouver took Hodgson 10th. Myers ended up going 13th.

He was coming off a 96 point season. I still don't now why this team didn't let him have one more year of OHL hockey and what likely would have been a key role in the WJC? There seriously was no rush to have him on that team. It was doomed to fail - they could have just had Colliton in the 4th line role or signed another AHL-bubble type - if not a real NHLer.
The fans and boards all wanted him to get a chance....and the masses would have been livid if Bailey didn't get to stay.

NOW, thankfully, maybe 30% of the fanbase is willing to be patient with prospects.

Which means we need a few dozen more failures to get a majority (by 2019?). By then, "give him a chance" will be almost universally understood as, "LEAVE HIM THE F$*! ALONE!" (to use the Queen's English)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 09:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I'm worried about this.

I feel very strongly that we have enjoyed above-average drafts in each of Snow's drafting years aside from 2010, which nonetheless has given us 3 very valid prospects.

However, we've seen our favorite team do SOOO many unorthodox things with our kids that it's hard to believe things will turn out right.

JT is the biggest given, but really he's the only Snow-drafted player who is having any major impact - and I'm writing that about a kid who hasn't scored in 10 games.

Naturally, Martin and Hamonic have been great finds and look like they're gonna have long, successful careers.

I also like how things had been done with Nielsen, MacDonald and Comeau, who were all given enough time down on the farm - none were Snow-drafted.

On the other hand, Bailey has given much reason for concern. No-one else has been blowing anyone out of the water yet. None of the drafted goalies have taken steps forward this year - heck, one has even been shipped back to Europe. de Haan looks like a real project.

And now we've gotta be wondering what the H E double hockey sticks is going on with Niederreiter.

To date, I'm really worried about the 'development' aspect of this organization. Really worried.
Just look what is done with them, what coaching they get and what advice or instruction they get from the Isles. I wonder how much Snow tinkers. When Gorton had his little system, how many prospects were instructed to adapt the system into their games?

Some are being handled quite alright. Kabanov seems to be oing well and we let Mikko go to Europe to grow up. I can't wait for Petrov to come over because he's been shielded, but will we let him adjust in the AHL or plan a season ticket push and do a Nino with him?

And honestly, we have a new coach with someone else's assistants and a GM named assistant coach Doug Weight.....so what has Cappy set up for his own benefit? What has he been allowed to do?

It's frustrating, and the ONLY reason I would want to see Cappy replaced - so a new coach, IF HE'S A QUALITY NHL COACH WITH A RESUME, could shape his own staff as he sees fit.

But I highly doubt Wang will let so much autonomy go to one individual who should be so bold as to try and do what 29 other head coaches do.

So....we have a Committee still. But this time, it's a bit more honest. It goes from God to Jerry to Kent to the cleaners.

Old
12-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Blake Comeau sure had himself a hell of a game. Scored his 1st goal and notched an assist.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:52 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Blake Comeau sure had himself a hell of a game. Scored his 1st goal and notched an assist.
It was only a matter of time. The Isles players who are starting to get hot (OK, warm) now are almost producing. Comeau will start scoring. Tavares will start scoring. Bailey? He'll make better passes. Franz will be better positionally and passing. Hamonic will hopefully start playing normal.

The Isles were just a **** vacuum sucking all over the ice.

So a guy whose scoring and play was ok to good though sporadic, will produce. Maybe better, maybe not as well depending on the Flames' support.

I hope we have the goals from Ullstrom and Nino to balance the void. I think Martin and Ullstrom could get twenty between them, and maybe Nino will pot 10-15.

What's done is done.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Riddick

The islanders really ought to watch that pittsburgh/boston game. They could learn a thing or ten about how to play psychical. And how you don't just sit back when your goalie gets run.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Bert Marshall days

Crrosby not playing vs. NYI on Saturday

.....Or vs. Philly tonight

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:23 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Crrosby not playing vs. NYI on Saturday

.....Or vs. Philly tonight
monthly visitor came early - better than not coming at all.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
So it appears the concussion bug has bit the Flyers captain Chris Pronger per Bobby Mac:

Quote:
Pronger out indefinitely with concussion or concussion-like symptoms. Going to see the Pittsburgh concussion doctors.
Quote:
Belief is Pronger suffered more than an eye injury when struck by Grabovski's stick. He came back to play but stopped because of a "virus."
Quote:
Fairly obvious now that the "virus" was in fact post-concussion but Pronger will now get expert medical advice on that in Pittsburgh
Kind of surprised with all the hype around concussions these days they didn't figure out that's what he was suffering from sooner..

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:25 PM
djavan

be careful when u criticize snow next time

the genius in montreal, gauthier, acquired tomas kaberle...

that's a bad move

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:19 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
TB is like the Isles' superior cousin... they're gonna be relying heavily on their offensive firepower and goaltending because the defense is pretty suspect. You're giving regular D shifts to guys that lottery NYI teams couldn't wait to get rid of, and now it sounds like Ohlund could be out for awhile so those two will see even more ice. Another injury or two and Roloson might start filling out his retirement paperwork.
Since Hedman is a bust they have to do something to bring in another franchise pick.

Seriously though, you can boil it down like you did to the issues on defense (they have no defense and haven't for several seasons), and their biggest non-producing Yashinesque contract recipient. Those who don't learn from "The Wang" are doomed to repeat him.

Quote:
Also, anyone else feel Pierre McGuire is the most obnoxious color guy in the league? The guy's always shouting over his broadcast partner, and he just had a buffoon-gasm because he realized Washington was getting a penalty for too many men
I used to hate the guy but he has grown on me more or less because of his appreciation of the kids in college, juniors, etc. I think he has helped inject some solid emotion into the event making it worth viewing to more than just die hards like us. You should make this topic a separate thread btw. Pierre is a little polarizing which could make for some colorful commentary.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Who else is not shocked at all by Crosby having another concussion? When it took him a year to come back, I knew it was only a matter of time before it happened again. Once you have one concussion, you are pretty much ****ed because they WILL keep happening. Real shame. Although as an Isles fan I hate the guy, I know what he means to hockey and his career is going to end way sooner than it should.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Who else is not shocked at all by Crosby having another concussion? When it took him a year to come back, I knew it was only a matter of time before it happened again. Once you have one concussion, you are pretty much ****ed because they WILL keep happening. Real shame. Although as an Isles fan I hate the guy, I know what he means to hockey and his career is going to end way sooner than it should.
He is essentially fragile now. Any hit could make him the subject of another concussion. Wonder how long he is going to be out now.

12-13-2011, 04:25 AM
OlTimeHockey

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...gs-murrayfired
Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP)—Coach Terry Murray doesn’t deserve the blame for the Los Angeles Kings’ terrible start to a season of high expectations, according to general manager Dean Lombardi.

Yet Lombardi decided Murray had to pay for it anyway.

Los Angeles fired Murray on Monday and replaced him with assistant coach John Stevens, who will be the underachieving club’s interim head coach when the Kings open a four-game road trip Tuesday in Boston.

Murray was behind the long-struggling Kings’ bench for their best moments in the past decade, leading Los Angeles to consecutive playoff appearances after an eight-year absence while compiling the best winning percentage (.560) of any coach in franchise history.
Quote:
Murray went 139-106-30 with the Kings after taking over the club in 2008. Los Angeles earned 46 victories—matching the franchise record for wins—in each of the past two seasons while racking up 199 total points, the most in any two-year stretch for the club.
We could be his 500th victory if we hired him. A defense first coach who got his players to compete, I'd gladly replace Cappy with him, and I like Cappy.

Old
12-13-2011, 08:31 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...gs-murrayfired

We could be his 500th victory if we hired him. A defense first coach who got his players to compete, I'd gladly replace Cappy with him, and I like Cappy.
Tampa might beat us to him. They are a mess again.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Tampa might beat us to him. They are a mess again.
Except Tampa's problems are not coaching. It is defense and goaltending.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 3700
After this season I would love to take either Murray or Carlyle, should they still be available. Or Therrion or Maurice. I just want someone that could, you know, bring some structure.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Except Tampa's problems are not coaching. It is defense and goaltending.
Yeah, I said near the beginning of the season that their putrid NYI-reject defense would kill them and what do you know, over a third of the way through the season they're sitting well outside the playoff picture.

Goaltending-wise, they're suffering from what I like to call "Philly syndrome" - ever since Khabby left after the lockout, they have not shored up the position with a reliable #1 in spite of countless other UFA signings. I don't think relying on a 42 y/o Roloson and Matty Garon is a recipe for success.

12-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Jkoyas

WTF! Tampa Bay's Steve Downie fined $2,500

Downie is fined for comming off the bench huh - Did the NHL ever explain why Goddard was not suspended or fined for comming off the bench during last years beat down of the Penguins ? WTF??!!!!

Jkoyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Jkoyas

Here is the link:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=606203

Jkoyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

i believe godard was suspended for 10 games?

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Riddick

godard was suspended for ten games.......whats the issue here?

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:18 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoyas View Post
Downie is fined for comming off the bench huh - Did the NHL ever explain why Goddard was not suspended or fined for comming off the bench during last years beat down of the Penguins ? WTF??!!!!

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote