HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will we be taken seriously?

Old
12-12-2011, 09:00 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I hope we never get taken seriously. Playing low-key winning hockey has been winning for us, why change it now?

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
HockeyBurd*

Seriously.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Im as optomistic as you get, but it is never as good as your high times, and never as bad as your lows.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:37 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
Im as optomistic as you get, but it is never as good as your high times, and never as bad as your lows.
This team doesn't seem to have an in between. It's either losing 2/3 in disappointing fashion, or winning a ton of games in a row convincingly.

No grey area!

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
This team doesn't seem to have an in between. It's either losing 2/3 in disappointing fashion, or winning a ton of games in a row convincingly.

No grey area!
It has been that way so far. Im sure it will even out and well win one lose one and so on.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:49 PM
bscharf

simple answer.. when we win a playoff series

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I don't think anyone is NOT taking the Rangers seriously, you guys have been lights out since Avery came back. You're even playing without your best defenseman the whole year.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Weren't we #1 in points in the whole league through December in the 05-06 season? I don't really remember.

January, not December. Then we collapsed in February and March. But at the end of January 1996, we were seen as prime Cup candidates.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Who cares if Fedotenko was a camp invite? He's only the 2nd line LW because Dubinsky has his head up his ass. Tampa won the cup with Feds on Richards' line, too - is it ideal, no, but it's far from terrible. He can put up 10+ goals and 30+ points and is excellent along the boards.

They just need a solid top-6 player ala Tuomo Rutuu. They don't necessarily need a 35+ goal player.

To win the Cup, the Rangers would need to add a 30-35 goal scorer. Adding a 20-25 goal scorer won't make that much of a difference. Considering that this player would have to replace someone, we are talking about 1 additional goal per 7 games or so. That's 1 additional goal per full 7-game series.

Since most goals do not change results, we are talking about at most 1 game-changing goal per TWO, maybe THREE rounds.

If you add a 30-35 goal scorer, that's one game-changing goal every round. That's much more significant. It reduces a 7 game series to 6 games, allowing the team to rest and heal a little before the next round. And it potentially reverses elimination.

A 35 goal scorer is also much more likely to take over the series with a great performance. A 20-goal scorer has to be real lucky to score a bunch of goals in a 7-game series.

P.S. When I talk about a 20 goal scorer, I don't mean a 20-60 player. I mean a 20-25 player. Obviously if someone is a great playmaker, you can't just look at his goals.

Last edited by Beacon: 12-13-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old
12-13-2011, 01:20 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ramsay View Post
I really don't know why people are seeking respect from other fans about this team. I'd rather just go about our business and open some eyes at the end of the season.... They've already shown that they can beat good teams (Pens, Flyers, Caps, Sharks, Panthers) I dont know why people need some kind of recognition from other people.

I actually cringe when I see people post ranger topics on the main forum.... We are tied with playing the least amount of games and we are sitting great point wise. If people don't want to recognize what this team is doing then they are gonna be caught by suprise at the end of the season

Couldnt agree more with this post.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:30 AM
skymachine

Does it really matter at all? Why do we need to see other team's fans taking the Rangers "seriously"?

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Pizza

Quote:
I really don't know why people are seeking respect from other fans about this team. I'd rather just go about our business and open some eyes at the end of the season.... They've already shown that they can beat good teams (Pens, Flyers, Caps, Sharks, Panthers) I dont know why people need some kind of recognition from other people.

I actually cringe when I see people post ranger topics on the main forum.... We are tied with playing the least amount of games and we are sitting great point wise. If people don't want to recognize what this team is doing then they are gonna be caught by suprise at the end of the season
A BIG +1.

It's so damn pathetic watching fans of other teams trolling for recognition or respect for their team over on the main board. It's too much to ask but I wish we could avoid that.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:08 AM
Blueshirt Special

If we get to the point where it looks like we could win in the 2nd round of the playoffs, the NY press will notice.

If we win the 2nd round, and go to the Conf Finals, we will get some buzz in the NY area, and the NHL will notice.

Getting to the Stanley Cup Finals is what will be a tipping point, and the mass of dormant NY Rangers around the country and even Canada will emerge.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:24 AM
DutchShamrock

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382616
The New York Rangers have taken over the top spot in the TSN.ca NHL Power Rankings, the second time this season that the Blueshirts have reached the top of the list.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:47 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
To win the Cup, the Rangers would need to add a 30-35 goal scorer. Adding a 20-25 goal scorer won't make that much of a difference. Considering that this player would have to replace someone, we are talking about 1 additional goal per 7 games or so. That's 1 additional goal per full 7-game series.
Seriously? How can you possibly try to quantify something like this? 1 additional goal per 7 games isn't enough, but 2 per 7 is? Lol.

There are many more things that win hockey games besides goals. I'll take the defensively responsible 1 goal scorer over the defensively inept 2 goal scorer any day.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:51 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

As great as they are playing right now, January and February are LOOMING. Every year, this team struggles from late January through late February and end up having to scramble just to make the playoffs. All the sudden Lundqvist can't stop a beach ball, and everyone who was scoring the first half suddenly can't bury a puck into an open net during scrambles in front. It's like freaking clock work.

I am loving this season so far, but I am scared to death of January and February. If they someone manage to not fall apart during that stretch like they normally do every season, and finish in the top 4 of the conference and FINALLY draw home ice in a playoff round, then they will start to be taken seriously. They win a few rounds, then they'll be seen as legit threats. They are on the cusp of it right now as it is, this team is very good, and even though I'm scared of mid season, I'm cautiously optimistic that this year might FINALLY be different!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Stepanformayor*

Honestly..Who cares what others think. The team is playing as well as anyone in the league right now, but i also think if this team REALLY wants to make a run at the cup this year we still need another bonafide 30-35 goal scorer and a Defenseman with some sandpaper in his shorts. Still think we have one of the softer D groups in the league. Sorry!

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:35 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:

+2. Im with Rammer on this one.

Screw what the other fans think. Its like listening to the peanut gallery.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:39 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382616
The New York Rangers have taken over the top spot in the TSN.ca NHL Power Rankings, the second time this season that the Blueshirts have reached the top of the list.
You beat me by an hour. lol

Looks like we are finally being taken seriously. It's a cold day in hell when a Canadian sports media site puts us at the top of their list...and they've done it twice now already this season.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:40 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
Honestly..Who cares what others think. The team is playing as well as anyone in the league right now, but i also think if this team REALLY wants to make a run at the cup this year we still need another bonafide 30-35 goal scorer and a Defenseman with some sandpaper in his shorts. Still think we have one of the softer D groups in the league. Sorry!
I've agreed with this all season. Winning a game vs. anyone is one thing...winning a best of 7 is entirely different.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:06 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:

No grey area!
I would take that ALL year.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

I don't think anyone knows what to think of this team (if they're thinking honestly). We're young and largely unproven. We've had a great run after coming out of the gates a bit weak.

We look to have chemistry now, look to be hitting stride, but if they lost like 5 or 6 in a row would it shock anyone really?

I love this team, I think they have the making of something special but there's a lot going well right now that could go sour just as quickly.

I'm going to enjoy the ride!

Once we get close to trade deadline... maybe Staal comes back... then I might worry about why we get no respect.

I will say this, if he does come back, AND we stay healthy for the most part, you will hear folks talking. You won't be able to count how many times you'll hear "The NYR have had one of the best defenses WITHOUT Staal, they have one of the best goalies in the league in Lundqvist... they could easily make some real noise in the play-offs based on that alone... add in Brad Richards and Gaborik back to form... they're a dangerous team."

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:39 AM
dethomas07

who cares...rather fly under the radar..plus wins don't matter unless there in april/may so lets sneak up on people then!

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Hensch

TSN has been taking us seriously for the second time this year.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Seriously? How can you possibly try to quantify something like this? 1 additional goal per 7 games isn't enough, but 2 per 7 is? Lol.

There are many more things that win hockey games besides goals. I'll take the defensively responsible 1 goal scorer over the defensively inept 2 goal scorer any day.

The obvious assumption was that these were two otherwise similar players. What I meant, and it should have been pretty obvious, is that we are not a middling second liner away from the Cup.

An additional 4 goals, without improving other areas, from the start to the Finals won't get us the Cup, but 8 additional goals could possibly make a difference.