HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it too early to say we need a new coach?

Old
12-13-2011, 10:09 AM
ShaPow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Have you looked at the roster he had in 1999? He had Hasek and, uh, a bunch of other guys. Seriously, though, they had 1 player (Satan) who cracked 60 points that year. They lost in 6 games in 3OT (on a bogus call) to a team with Hull, Modano, Nieuwendyk, Belfour, etc. They did ok, considering.

In 2006, I'm confident they would have won the Cup if they hadn't lost almost their entire D and not had any organizational depth.

Between the ownership issues, and roster issues, I think Ruff has done great.

You can still legitimately criticize him based on recent decisions, but don't tell me he should be fired because he hasn't won a Cup.
I don't need to look at the '99 roster. I experienced it.

Ruff had the Selke Trophy winner in '99 as well. Varada-Peca-Ward was the best shutdown line in hockey. Ruff could have done much worse than a Zhitnik-Smehlik top pairing. James Patrick was still a fine defenseman at the time. Jay McKee was no slouch. Jason Woolley made our powerplay work. Then you had the greatest goaltender of all time in your net.

Have you ever noticed how bothered Rob Ray gets when people talk about that team as if it was all Hasek and literally nothing else? That team had multiple pieces. Not just one incredible piece.

If we're not setting the bar at a championship, then what's the point? Enough with the moral victories. Produce a Cup in 13+ years or move on.

ShaPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:18 AM
ADoubleD

vCash: 500
I think Lindy's a good coach, but at some point changes need to be made especially when he's been here so long with no Cup to show for it. If they fired Lindy I would fully expect him to find a new job fairly quickly though.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote