HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, College, International, Other) *Part 4*

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2011, 08:03 AM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
This concussion epidemic has surpassed the point of ridiculous.

Are people inherently weaker now? Equipment for ****? Or is it the same as it has always been and they're just being overly cautious with these players now?

On the equipment, its practically the same technology in helmets that has been used since the 70's. Just garbage yellow stained foam on flimsy plastic.

Perhaps the NHL and every league below it should stop worrying about companies feelings, and instate a mandate on the Cascade M11 and VISORS and mouth guards.

They allowed Reebok to monopolize the jersey industry with their STUPID shaped Edge crap.

But they're worried about how many helmets CCM and Easton will sell? When their helmets are obviously not up to par for high level athletes.

Cascade M11 tested higher then any other available helmet in preventing concussions.

ALL players should be wearing them. Visors. And mouth guards. NO EXCEPTIONS.
I'm all for standardizing equipment. Most of these players grow up wearing full cages or at the very least visors. This is 100% the case in North America, not sure about Europe.

As for qhy its seems concussions are more of a problem now then in the 70's, I think its because of modern technology being able to diagnose some thing like a concussion, where as a player back in the 70's who had a mild concussion may have just thought he had a migrane problem.

I also don't think its the players today being weaker, I think its that they are much bigger, stronger, and in better shape then their 70's counterparts.

The workout regiments starting at a young age are mind boggling. I remeber the off ice training I went through when I player juniors. Players didn't do that way back when. At least not to the extent they do now.

Old
12-13-2011, 08:06 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I'm all for standardizing equipment. Most of these players grow up wearing full cages or at the very least visors. This is 100% the case in North America, not sure about Europe.

As for qhy its seems concussions are more of a problem now then in the 70's, I think its because of modern technology being able to diagnose some thing like a concussion, where as a player back in the 70's who had a mild concussion may have just thought he had a migrane problem.

I also don't think its the players today being weaker, I think its that they are much bigger, stronger, and in better shape then their 70's counterparts.

The workout regiments starting at a young age are mind boggling. I remeber the off ice training I went through when I player juniors. Players didn't do that way back when. At least not to the extent they do now.
I agree. Even in HS we had some intense dry land (off ice) workouts every week.

Old
12-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Levitate

I think teams are being more careful with players now than they used to be. In the past, a guy gets a concussion, he was only out for as long as it took to not feel bad when he played. Headaches after that were just something they played through and probably figured "they'll get better, and I feel fine on the ice"

Now teams are worried about their star players (and big investments) having their careers cut short, so they're trying to do everything they can to make sure the players can come back healthy and not suffer another injury. In Pittsburgh's case, they at least don't feel a ton of pressure to force Crosby back into the lineup, since they seem to be doing great without him.

Old
12-13-2011, 08:42 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Good to hear about Thomas, I was following the Team Canada WJC thread on the main board and the reports given by news outlets covering the scrimage was that Thomas was playing very well.

When do they announce the final roster? Doesn't the WJC start in like 15 days?

Old
12-13-2011, 08:56 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
This concussion epidemic has surpassed the point of ridiculous.

Are people inherently weaker now? Equipment for ****? Or is it the same as it has always been and they're just being overly cautious with these players now?

On the equipment, its practically the same technology in helmets that has been used since the 70's. Just garbage yellow stained foam on flimsy plastic.

Perhaps the NHL and every league below it should stop worrying about companies feelings, and instate a mandate on the Cascade M11 and VISORS and mouth guards.

They allowed Reebok to monopolize the jersey industry with their STUPID shaped Edge crap.

But they're worried about how many helmets CCM and Easton will sell? When their helmets are obviously not up to par for high level athletes.

Cascade M11 tested higher then any other available helmet in preventing concussions.

ALL players should be wearing them. Visors. And mouth guards. NO EXCEPTIONS.
agree on helmets and mouth guards, disagree on visors.

Visors do not prevent concussions and the amount of facial injuries sustained by players without visors, well for me it's still at the level where it should remain the players choice as to what he wants to do in that regards.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:08 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers have to sign Fasth this June to retain his rights. The transfer agreement between the NHL and the Swedes has a 2 year deadline to sign draft picks. The Rangers could loan Fasth to his Swedish team after he signs with the Rangers. Ottawa signed Jakob Silverberg in May and then loaned him to Brynas. The Swedish team would get a transfer fee for Fasth.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ff-report.html
Pretty sure, like you say, that a signing and subsequent loan to the SEL is what is in mind. Hedberg said somewhere as much that the Rangers would let them both develop slowly in the SEL (meaning they would sign them both - I presume).

Regarding the 50 player contract limit next year.
Prust, Mitchell, Avery, Fedotenko, Christensen, Woywitka, Eminger (7) are UFAs on the Rangers
del Zotto, Strålman & Wolski (3) are RFAs
Bell, Deveaux and Newbury (3) are minor league UFAs
Zuccarello-Aasen, Baldwin (ECHL), Valentenko, Chappell (CHL), Bouchard, Thuresson, Bickel, Klassen(ECHL) (8) are all due to be RFAs at the end of the year.
That means we have 21 expiring contracts - 10 UFAs and 11 RFAs up for new contracts new contracts - excluding goalies...
All of these players will definitely not be resigned - so there will be space to sign Lindberg & Fasth (most likely loaning them to their SEL teams) and of course then also signing Kreider. Plus eventual top picks next year. There is some dead weight under contract too that I suppose could be dumped too ( Grant + Wilson).
Do the Swedes contracts count against the 50 player limit if they are loaned to aEuropean team on their ELC btw? This might make it a little tight holding on to 2 contracts outside the NHL/AHL...

Old
12-13-2011, 09:26 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

As far as I can tell, I think CT27 made it past the first round of cuts!

Old
12-13-2011, 09:31 AM
MSG the place to be*

Thomas survived first cuts. Still think its doubtful he makes the final squad. Too many of the wing spots are already accounted for. Only real shot is if Howden and Huberdeau are unavailable.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I know he's not our prospect, but did anyone else see the story about Corey Trivino?

Corey Trivino kicked off BU hockey team

Quote:
His removal from the team is reportedly due to an arrest Sunday night for breaking and entering and assault with an attempt to ****.

Last edited by jas: 12-13-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old
12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I know he's not our prospect, but did anyone else so the story about Corey Trivino?

Corey Trivino kicked off BU hockey team
This won't end his career. He'll get another chance somewhere.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
This won't end his career. He'll get another chance somewhere.
That sickens me. He attempted to friggin' **** someone. In my book, you don't get second chances after something like that.

You're right though, some desparate program will give this piece of slime a clean slate.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I think CT scored again in the Canada scrimmages, not sure though, wasn't able to find a boxscore anywhere. Someone said he had a nice snipe though.

It's hilarious seeing his name slowly start popping up on people's lineup's again.
He didn't.

He scored in a shootout which they hold after the game for no reason (his team lost 2-0)

Old
12-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Is JT Miller in the American WJ camp?

Old
12-13-2011, 10:23 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Is JT Miller in the American WJ camp?
yes. a near lock to make the team as a 3rd line C or top 6 winger.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:26 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Signing Lindberg and Fasth and then loaning them back to their Swedish teams loses one year off the three year ELC. The Swedish team gets the transfer fee plus the player for another season. The SPCs would count against the SPC limit.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:06 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The attempted **** was getting drunk and trying to kiss a girl. I'm not going to call the guy a terrible human being for that. Really stupid? Absolutely. Horrible piece of ****? I don't know yet. I'd have to see more of the story.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:19 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post

Hell, in the Old NHL, players didnt even do much in training camp, and most of the vets considered the first month of the season as "warm-ups" and used that time to work off the beer gut. They were at half speed for the first 20 games. Now, if you dont show up for pre-camp informal skates, you are looked at as a lazy prima donna.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The attempted **** was getting drunk and trying to kiss a girl. I'm not going to call the guy a terrible human being for that. Really stupid? Absolutely. Horrible piece of ****? I don't know yet. I'd have to see more of the story.
Actually sounds like it was forcing his way into her room, kissing and groping her against her will before finally leaving

Attempted **** seems like a bit of a trumped up charge if he did leave when she told him to get the **** out, but the rest of it can definitely be classified as sexual assault

Old
12-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Pizza

"Watching the Detectives".

Old
12-13-2011, 11:42 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
"Watching the Detectives".
Do you watch that show on TV? Great show....

Old
12-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Do you watch that show on TV? Great show....
I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

No, reading the posts made me think of the old Elvis Costello song.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:23 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Brett Connolly hit on Quinton Howden overshadows Red-White game; defended by coach Hay but some players not happy *******/vGnjIq
web • 12/13/11 10:47
Retweeted by neatebuzzthenet

Sounds like things are really gelling for Canada

Old
12-13-2011, 12:46 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Anyone know when we find out who made the WJC rosters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

No, reading the posts made me think of the old Elvis Costello song.
Oh, didn't even realize it was a song... I wonder if that was the inspiration for the show... It's on the Crime & Investigation channel and it features NYPD Detectives recounting some of their most interesting cases:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1272033/

Old
12-13-2011, 12:50 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinFan62 View Post
He didn't.

He scored in a shootout which they hold after the game for no reason (his team lost 2-0)
According to Aaron Vicker's twitter Thomas buried a feed from Freddie Hamilton.

And Brett Connolly is such a piece of ****. I wanted the Rangers to draft him in '10, but his attitude is pathetic.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:52 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

The B&E charge makes this a little more than just really stupid. That crosses the line beyond just a misunderstanding and really stupid in my view.

Closed Thread