HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Corey Trivino Arrested

Old
12-13-2011, 06:49 AM
crashthenet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Six and Two View Post
Wasn't Travino also suspended from the team a couple of years ago for a few games? Something about making a racist rap video? Or am I imagining that?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp19682

You are correct. See above for details.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:54 AM
BennyBST

This is very disappointing, there's nothing wrong with having a couple drinks, but I guess he never thought of the consequences beforehand. I don't feel bad for him, I'm more disappointed than anything as it looked like he was the touted prospect we selected in the 2nd round.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Just to clarify: in no way am I condoning sexual assault at all. However one of my close friends was wrapped up in an incident where a girl blatantly lied and exaggerated her story to the authorities because she felt "used". While the case was eventually thrown out, my friend developed a reputation that hurt him with professors, his family, and generally everyone around him because nobody believed his innocence.

There are two sides to every story, and people tend to get caught up in letting their imaginations create a vile, despicable sex crime. The reported fact that Trivino left the room after she told him to get out at least shows a willingness to stop.
Totally get what your saying. It just seems like a stupid situation with Trivino and the girl and she bugged after. Basically him being a stupid drunk college guy. I'm not condoning this by any measure but it just reads for worse than what I think happened. But I'll wait for the full report to form any sort of real opinion.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:25 AM
JKP

public adulation + sense of entitlement + highly competitive personality + alcohol = disaster

A lot of these kids (obviously) have pretty healthy egos. We celebrate our athletic stars and hoist them up on pedestals, often creating an impression in them that the normal rules don't apply. Most of them have highly aggressive and competitive personalities. Mix booze and a university party atmosphere in all that and it's surprising there aren't more of these unfortunate incidents.

I'll reserve judgement until the system works its course, but clearly a big mistake to even put yourself in that situation and with the previous history of alcohol issues it leads you to assume the worst. Not very smart or mature. Guess he'll grow up a little faster now.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
A lot of these kids (obviously) have pretty healthy egos. We celebrate our athletic stars and hoist them up on pedestals, often creating an impression in them that the normal rules don't apply. Most of them have highly aggressive and competitive personalities. Mix booze and a university party atmosphere in all that and it's surprising there aren't more of these unfortunate incidents.
On the contrary, it's notable how few of these cases involve so-called entitled athletes. Sexual assault / attempted sexual assault is a problem on campuses throughout the country. It's not at all a particular problem with student-athletes. It's just that when it does happen, people pay attention.

From my experience as as a lecturer (as a grad student) at a high-profile Division I School, I found that student-athletes have to structure their time far more than non-athletes. My experience is that they just have less time to get in trouble.

Regardless of the details of the case (one should not assume guilt), we do know that there's more than enough to question the character of this prospect that he's unlikely to be signed by the Isles. I think this puts the doubts people have about Kabanov's character in perspective.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:32 AM
xECK29x

Potential and promise -> toilet

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:35 AM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
I'm gonna reserve judgment until some more facts come out, but this certainly doesn't look promising

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Aside from the obvious, I'm now concerned that even if this allegation does end up being BS, the kid might never be the same. Having been kicked off the team, that's some significant damage done already.

12-13-2011, 08:37 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
On the contrary, it's notable how few of these cases involve so-called entitled athletes. Sexual assault / attempted sexual assault is a problem on campuses throughout the country. It's not at all a particular problem with student-athletes. It's just that when it does happen, people pay attention.

From my experience as as a lecturer (as a grad student) at a high-profile Division I School, I found that student-athletes have to structure their time far more than non-athletes. My experience is that they just have less time to get in trouble.

Regardless of the details of the case (one should not assume guilt), we do know that there's more than enough to question the character of this prospect that he's unlikely to be signed by the Isles. I think this puts the doubts people have about Kabanov's character in perspective.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Glad to hear. Wasn't what I witnessed at university, but that was a couple decades ago.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:44 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
So will he be signed in time for Bridgeport's next game, or right after the holidays?? )

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Moosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...d,_removed.php

I don't know the details, but to me this sounds like a kid getting drunk, trying to get with a girl at college (they had to have known each other if Trivino knew where she lived), and then leaving when she didn't want him. Now, if he physically hit her or tried to hold her down and strip her this is a different issue entirely, but all the article says is "kissed her without her consent".

I'll reserve my opinion on this until more facts come out. If all he did was drunkely stumble into some girl's dorm room, kissed her and is now being charged with ****, well that's not really fair to this kid. I just need more details before this kid is thrown to the wolves, because I got drunk at college and was rejected by women, but was never charged with attempted **** for drunkenly trying to kiss someone.

I agree. This sounds like a pissed off witch out for vengeance.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Hipietro

What a jackass, promising future goes down the drain in one night out.

Looks like Garth is gonna need to trade for another 2nd round pick to replace him...

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:18 AM
leaponover

Not trying to defend anybody but I work in criminal justice and just want to make everyone aware of two things:

First, whenever someone is arrested they slap as many charges as possible on the person to strengthen the chance of "any" conviction, which in most circumstances ends up being the the least minor charge through plea bargaining. The police report that is revealed is usually the one that strengthens the arrest and is "always" the complainants side of the story.

Secondly, and most important, everyone is innocent until proven guilty and many people forget that and are quick to convict in their own minds without hearing the true facts.

With that said, sounds like the kid definitely effed up but will probably end up with some sort of probation on a misdemeanor charge and without other facts to purport that this is normal behavior, then it could just be an immature stupid act of poor judgement in an intoxicated state. He'll get his punishment and try to move on but I am going to reserve judgement on his character until further investigation.

Oh, and I also would like to add that whomever brought up the Mark Sanchez article... interestingly he was involved in that incident with the female reporter where she felt uncomfortable in the locker room one day. That's a pattern...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:19 AM
beLIever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
I agree. This sounds like a pissed off witch out for vengeance.
Wait a minute. We're supposed to reserve judgement about his culpability here but it's okay to call someone who may or may not have been a victim of a crime a "pissed off witch"? How about we just reserve judgement ENTIRELY.

The one thing I will say is that the fact that he was booted off the team -- instead of suspended from the team pending the University and criminal investigation, which is usually what happens in these incidents -- that does not bode well for him.

beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Let's keep this as cordial and professional as possible. Thanks!

12-13-2011, 09:29 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanof31 View Post
Wait a minute. We're supposed to reserve judgement about his culpability here but it's okay to call someone who may or may not have been a victim of a crime a "pissed off witch"? How about we just reserve judgement ENTIRELY.

The one thing I will say is that the fact that he was booted off the team -- instead of suspended from the team pending the University and criminal investigation, which is usually what happens in these incidents -- that does not bode well for him.
With the current climate of sexual assault in colleges (ie. Syracuse and Penn State), I think any sports program is going to distance themselves from any HINT of impropriety with out time for question. I myself am reserving judgement on this one till more facts come to light.

But hey, If its true it wouldnt be the 1st Islanders prospect charged with attempted ****. Remember Bobby Hughs?

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:32 AM
beLIever

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
With the current climate of sexual assault in colleges (ie. Syracuse and Penn State), I think any sports program is going to distance themselves from any HINT of impropriety with out time for question. I myself am reserving judgement on this one till more facts come to light.

But hey, If its true it wouldnt be the 1st Islanders prospect charged with attempted ****. Remember Bobby Hughs?
I meant more bode well for his future as a pro athlete. They booted their leading scorer on an allegation, he's had trouble with alcohol in the past...he just seems like a troubled kind of guy which is probably the last thing the Islanders want in their locker room.

beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:42 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
stupid, stupid kid.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
the sweetener

i think his previous suspension had something to do w/ violating the teams alcohol policy on st patricks day and that video just happen to find its way on the interwebz around the same time.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
What a jackass, promising future goes down the drain in one night out.

Looks like Garth is gonna need to trade for another 2nd round pick to replace him...
Or restructure his character test.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Hipster Doofus

Loving the apologist comments. You don't need to defend every Islander and people who can't respect boundaries of others suck.

Cut ties with him. Publicly or privately, cut ties. Isles can't be playing devil's advocate for someone who has these kind of issues. Breaking and entering and then unwanted sexual contact is ******* behavior. Not all the facts are present but unless its a dramatic turnaround there really is no reason to stand by him.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Totally get what your saying. It just seems like a stupid situation with Trivino and the girl and she bugged after. Basically him being a stupid drunk college guy. I'm not condoning this by any measure but it just reads for worse than what I think happened. But I'll wait for the full report to form any sort of real opinion.
I'd like to know what "stupid drunk college kid" is breaking and entering into homes and pushing himself on the occupants sexually? If the charges are true, then its as bad as it sounds. Even if he didn't do enough to get the **** charge, its still a complete disrespect of boundaries.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:41 AM
IslesNorway

The kid just wrecked his career and potentially his life. The stupidity of some people is just baffling at times as one would think he would finally make it after a few tough years!

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:42 AM
nyisles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Cut ties with him. Publicly or privately, cut ties. Isles can't be playing devil's advocate for someone who has these kind of issues. Breaking and entering and then unwanted sexual contact is ******* behavior. Not all the facts are present but unless its a dramatic turnaround there really is no reason to stand by him.
I agree they need to cut ties if this is true, but whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty" in this country? Or have we already forgotten about the Duke University lacrosse team?

These situations can take weeks or months to shake out, not a matter of hours. Wait for the facts before assembling the lynch mob, that's all there is to it.

nyisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
I agree they need to cut ties if this is true, but whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty" in this country? Or have we already forgotten about the Duke University lacrosse team?

These situations can take weeks or months to shake out, not a matter of hours. Wait for the facts before assembling the lynch mob, that's all there is to it.
Isles aren't the law, they can act as they please. Unless the outcome changes they gotta move on.

Not going to lynch the kid, but these are pretty serious charges. I'm not gonna write it off as a drunken antics if true.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:56 AM
nyisles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Isles aren't the law, they can act as they please. Unless the outcome changes they gotta move on.

Not going to lynch the kid, but these are pretty serious charges. I'm not gonna write it off as a drunken antics if true.
I bolded the most important portion. That's the problem, we received news of this allegation a few hours ago so we have no idea if it's true, and it may be awhile before we do know. Calling for the organization to officially cut ties right now is just a little premature.

nyisles is offline   Reply With Quote