HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards making Rangers sparkle

Old
12-13-2011, 07:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Larry Brooks wrote a column about the impact of Brad Richards.

John Tortorella was a huge factor in Richards becoming a Ranger. He had two better financial offers on the table but decided to play on Broadway. Torts was able to separate Richards and Marian Gaborik without any fuss after it was assumed they would be on the same line.

Quote:
Richards could have come to the Rangers last year at the trade deadline. But, according to an individual with knowledge of the situation, he declined to waive his no-move clause when he learned of the bounty (three Grade A assets) the Stars were demanding in return, not wanting the Blueshirts to be diluted upon his arrival.

And so Broadway would wait for Richards, who has recorded 25 points (11-14) with the promise of better things ahead.

“I have to admit that even though I wanted to come here, it was a hell of a transition, especially since I’m not the kind of person who is the best at adapting to change,” Richards told The Post. “Mentally, it took its toll on me, and I wasn’t as sharp as I wanted to be or needed to be, but thankfully I got great support from my teammates and we were winning.

“I’m starting to feel it come now. I feel comfortable being here and living here. The best is ahead of me.”
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1gPmeOypD

Richards wouldn't waive his NTC in June to allow the Stars to get even a draft pick for his negotiating rights.

Andrew Gross wrote about Richards today too

Quote:
"To me, as far as his feeling part of it, I think it started right away," Tortorella said of Richards’ assimilation. "He’s a bit of a mental case, just his whole routine as far as playing. He is really focused. Our room is tight. I heard right when he was signed, he made calls to his new teammates right away. It looked like he just joined right in."
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pr...tml?c=y&page=2

Richards came to NY after signing. Attended Jimmy Dolan's 4th of July bash. Richards moved to NY in August and quickly started skating with the other Rangers players. He didn't wait until the eve of training camp to settle into NY.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:13 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I've watched many Dallas Stars (and other, for that matter) games over the years and Richards' work ethic and attention to defense has always been an impressive part of his game that might get overlooked. Great signing for the NYR.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

I finally get "Richie Rich"

Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:35 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

We can thank Richards for not only making our Rangers better, but for blocking Sather from shipping off pieces to get him, knowing he would potentially sign here in July.

Awesome.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:37 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

And we can thank Tortorella for being the reason he's here in the first place.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:38 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Wow, have to imagine how Dallas fans feel about him blocking a deadline trade here so we weren't weaker when he came here. Of course, I find it awesome. Richards has been everything I've hoped for. Really a terrific signing- guy is a great hockey player.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Richie is amazing. The only thing missing from his game so far is the shootout success he had in Dallas.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:56 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Luckily we haven't had to worry about shootouts much at all this season.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Orr Nightmare

I didn't love the details of the deal when it was first reported...but he has been far better than I wanted to give him credit for.

He has improved our Power play, has taken the pressure off of Gabby and he works his ass off.

I am truely impressed by his skill and work ethic. I am willing to eat crow and be glad to do it in the process.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
True dat. But he's still 0 for 4, which is a pretty uncommon thing for him.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:06 AM
howztheglass

Great signing Richards has helped this team in so many ways.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Levitate

Still not sure how he's a minus player. He's better in the defensive zone than Gaborik and it's not like he's hanging out at the blueline all day or something, but somehow he manages to get the minuses. Oh well, I don't think he's actually hurting the team defensively, it's just odd that he manages to collect the negatives and has done so in his career

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:00 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Lol..yeah seriously, cause we have been AWFUL in them!

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 12-13-2011 at 09:18 AM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:17 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

These are two of my favorite Richie moments so far:

The guy really knows what the **** he's doing with the puck. I haven't seen somebody who can make passes and freeze the other players like that on our team in a long time.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Good teams shouldn't have to worry about the shootout.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
We can thank Richards for not only making our Rangers better, but for blocking Sather from shipping off pieces to get him, knowing he would potentially sign here in July.

Awesome.
What a crazy concept. Who was the poster who suggested this was the reason he blocked the trade last season? Oh yea, that was me.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I'm sure Olivia Munn has helped with his "assimilation". God, she's incredible.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Giacomin

Just by watching him play every night you can see that he is a totally unselfish player. He is quickly becoming a fan favorite!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:14 AM
NYROrtsFan

In my opinion he's everything you want in a player... Really lucked out getting him.

The guy is clearly good in the locker room, works extremely hard, good defensively, and brings great vision with his passes which is something the Rangers have lacked for quite some time.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Getting a Richie WC jersey. Sorry McD and Girardi, but when I can't choose between you, I gotta take someone else

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Will probably go down as the best free agent signing in Ranger's history.

Thats both a nod to Richards being a really good player, as well as the terrible signings over the last several years.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Will probably go down as the best free agent signing in Ranger's history.

Thats both a nod to Richards being a really good player, as well as the terrible signings over the last several years.
I'm very happy with the signing, but saying this 30 games into a 9 year contract is silly at best.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
I'm very happy with the signing, but saying this 30 games into a 9 year contract is silly at best.
Well, I've been watching and following the Rangers for over 20 years, and I cant even remember being legitimately excited about a free agent signing. I was excited about Richards, hes producing, and perhaps best of all in terms of this conversation, hes showing a lot of people why his game will translate well deep into his longterm contract.

Call it silly if you'd like, I know theres a long way to go; but at least try to list some Ranger free agent signings that turned out well and could rival this one.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Still not sure how he's a minus player. He's better in the defensive zone than Gaborik and it's not like he's hanging out at the blueline all day or something, but somehow he manages to get the minuses. Oh well, I don't think he's actually hurting the team defensively, it's just odd that he manages to collect the negatives and has done so in his career
He's been on the ice for 13 power play goals. He hasn't been on the ice for a single PK goal, mainly because he doesn't play on the PK. His special teams +13 comes out of his total number of plus shifts. The difference between his plus shifts and his minus shifts, overall, is less than 13 (32 to 21). That's why he's a minus and it doesn't seem like he should be. He's on the ice for a disproportionate number of goals on the powerplay compared to other players.

In fact, amongst forwards, he is the worst on the team in terms of being on the ice for even strength GA at 21. Only Girardi has been on the ice for more ES GA on the whole team at 22, but he plays 5 minutes more per game. McDonagh is also at 21.

And I don't get where this idea of Richards being good defensively comes from: he's not. But it doesn't really matter.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:08 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Well, I've been watching and following the Rangers for over 20 years, and I cant even remember being legitimately excited about a free agent signing. I was excited about Richards, hes producing, and perhaps best of all in terms of this conversation, hes showing a lot of people why his game will translate well deep into his longterm contract.

Call it silly if you'd like, I know theres a long way to go; but at least try to list some Ranger free agent signings that turned out well and could rival this one.
Although it was a trade, LaFontaine had a hell of a start for us when we got him, unfortunately he was done within a few months of his NYR tenure. Probably the only time we were rolling along nicely during the 7 year drought.

And please don't take that as a close comparison to Richards in regards to the concussion thing, LaFontaine's issues were 10x worse. I'm still of the opinion Richards issues last season, his 1st & only documented, were based on the leagues new mandatory minimum requirements & procedures.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote