HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All things Crosby (injuries, career, etc)

View Poll Results: Concussions
Boooo 2,000 99.80%
Yay 4 0.20%
Voters: 2004. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2011, 11:28 PM
SEALBound

vCash: 500
March...at the earliest...but I'm preparing for Sid to look to crack the line up in Oct 12.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:41 PM
needzmoarcleary
I'm Back

Wings fan coming in peace. The commments about sid having another concussion really aren't valid. He did base line testing and it said he was not concussed but after you get a concussion your chances of becoming concussed again are increased. Just because he passed that test doesn't mean he's good to go. The symptoms can linger. I played AAA and travel hockey most of my life. Obviously I wasn't even close to the level that sid is (no ****) but with that being said i suffered many concussions over a brief period of my life. I'm 24 and had 6 documented by doctors in a period of 5 years (can't recal how many were ligit or just getting back into the game too soon). With that being said I can say first hand that after the last one I had which had me in the hospital for 2 weeks of amnesia and not knowing anything it is very scary. My parents tell me every so often that they are amazed at the love i still have for hockey even though i had to give up playing college due to the fact that if you push the limit it can get really bad. I honestly didn't think that his original hit seemed to bad but that is the thing with concussions you can take a full on hit to the head and be fine but some whip lash or a crazy fall could do the same thing. I really feel bad for the guy as much as the media puts him in the spotlight i know deep down inside its probably eating him alive. He is a great play and will be i think he really needs to take more time off. I can say from my perspective i couldn't do a full on workout for at least a year without headaches and blurred vision occuring. 4 years later I can finally push my body to the limit like I could before. I'm not saying he will take that long but I've had more (documented) concussions than sid or at least as he has been in the nhl. God bless the guy and hope he gets back into top form. Time is really a bugger with head injuries.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

I don't understand why people want to candy coat this. He played a few games and is re-experiencing symptoms. We can't even figure out which hit or event set him off because he never got hit terribly hard. This sucks and does not bode well.

I'm not on the ledge but it is exactly what we didn't want to hear.

I'm very sad today.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
By the way - the whole "trust Sid's doctor" thing is a bit strange. That is the same guy who said he's a ferrari and that he would come back stronger. Oooooops!
I think this is the part that's the most frustrating/annoying part for me.

Maybe I was being naive or gullible, or maybe I was reading more into the statements than were there, but what I took from that press conference with the two doctors, Sid, and Shero, was that the doctors were saying that they're being cautious with Sid and will only let him return when he's 100%. And on top of that, when he IS at 100% and able to return, he won't be vulnerable to concussions so easily as if they rush him back.

As it turns out, if this indeed another concussion, they were dead wrong. The hit that he supposedly took to sustain this concussion was the type of hit that shouldn't have caused any issues, if what the doctors had said was true.

Or was I the only one who assumed all that about what the doctors said at the press conference a couple of months back?

Old
12-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Kruncher11
a whole lotta grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Or was I the only one who assumed all that about what the doctors said at the press conference a couple of months back?
I believe it was Dr. Collins who said with the advancements in concussion treatment/rehab today that Sid would be less likely to get a concussion than someone who has never gotten one before. Now, thats not an exact quote but thats how I remember it.

He must feel like an idiot right about now

At this point I'm gonna stop believing any meaningless update they release & just assume that Sid will be back next season. I'm tired of playing the waiting for an update and trying to guess the timeframe for his return ...game.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:17 AM
TheDudeAbides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
Is it even possible to have 2 concussions at the same time? I'm pretty sure it's not, you either have a concussion, or you don't.
Yeah you can have multiple concussions. I remember seeing a post on here a while back about a guy that had 2 in rapid succession just like sid and he was never able to walk or talk right again. Luckily, Sid had really good medical care and he didnt try to push the issue

Old
12-13-2011, 01:25 AM
mpp9

Lotta people on here are gonna look dumb when hes back in a few weeks. He's not anywhere near as bad as he was last January or even August. I'm ready for the heartbreak of Sid never being the same but we shouldn't assume it at this point.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:33 AM
TheDudeAbides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
You familiar with Patrice Bergeron?

Apparently most here aren't.
No matter how much anyone tries to compare those 2, they are not the same player. Concussions are different for everyone, we have heard it a million times throughout this process. Bergeron was extremely fortunate to be able to come back and play at a high level, and we don't even know the damage that his concussions have done to his brain or what the long term effects may be Sid may not be so lucky. While Bergeron suffered multiple concussions over the course of a few years, that's far different from suffering 2 in the same week. That can actually permanently leave you disabled. Sid was blessed that he can still function day to day let alone consider playing in the NHL. This setback may or may not be a sign that this is something that won't go away for a very long period of time, and if that's the case it's a good idea to contemplate retirement. Again, if I'm wrong (I hope I am) then he should take his time and go over the process again and come back but if it's going to become a situation where every single time he has contact to the head he's going to become symptomatic, you gotta let go because it's selfish to his family and those close to him and the team to keep putting himself in a situation that he can't handle.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:58 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
No matter how much anyone tries to compare those 2, they are not the same player. Concussions are different for everyone, we have heard it a million times throughout this process. Bergeron was extremely fortunate to be able to come back and play at a high level, and we don't even know the damage that his concussions have done to his brain or what the long term effects may be Sid may not be so lucky. While Bergeron suffered multiple concussions over the course of a few years, that's far different from suffering 2 in the same week. That can actually permanently leave you disabled. Sid was blessed that he can still function day to day let alone consider playing in the NHL. This setback may or may not be a sign that this is something that won't go away for a very long period of time, and if that's the case it's a good idea to contemplate retirement. Again, if I'm wrong (I hope I am) then he should take his time and go over the process again and come back but if it's going to become a situation where every single time he has contact to the head he's going to become symptomatic, you gotta let go because it's selfish to his family and those close to him and the team to keep putting himself in a situation that he can't handle.
Wait... wait wait wait. You lost me at the beginning when you claimed that Crosby and Bergeron are not the same player.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:30 AM
Pancakes

I'm pretty sure if Sid received another concussion after the Steckel one, he might have died. Like if you get two concussions in a row in a short time period, that can be lethal.

My take is Steckel concussed him (a severe grade concussion) and the Hedman hit simply caused symptoms to flare up, but that he didn't necessarily sustain another concussion from the Hedman collision.

That's just my completely 100% out of my ass take though as I'm no doctor.

I also doubt he suffered a concussion again recently. I just don't see any hits which could have caused the type of trauma you would think would be required for one. Imo this is just a case of symptoms flaring up from exertion, which is unfortunately something Sid will always have to deal with as concussion symptoms obviously can resurface at any time.

But again, 100% out of my ass take I know nothing about concussions beyond what little I've read online and I could be wrong blah blah blah

Old
12-13-2011, 03:50 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I think this is the part that's the most frustrating/annoying part for me.

Maybe I was being naive or gullible, or maybe I was reading more into the statements than were there, but what I took from that press conference with the two doctors, Sid, and Shero, was that the doctors were saying that they're being cautious with Sid and will only let him return when he's 100%. And on top of that, when he IS at 100% and able to return, he won't be vulnerable to concussions so easily as if they rush him back.
the problem is no one can be completely sure about when he is 100% healed.
He can be symptoms free, look 100% on all the tests, but his brain might still be more sensitive towards hits than it was before the concussions.

Maybe, to have a more positive perspective, it helps thinking about what happens with other serious injuries.. if you ever seriously injured a part of your body, you know it won't take much to be reminded you had such injury.. a little blow there will bother you more than somewhere else..
the key part is understanding whether that blow brought any new damage or just 'woke up' your 'body memory' of the injury.
We can hope this is the latter here, albeit with concussions even that isn't a good thing.

What i'm livid at it's not the press-conference:
I will never get over the fact Sid was let play after his concussion in the Winter Classic.
I don't care if he didn't experience concussion symptoms the day after and if the tests showed nothing (not sure they even performed tests afterwards).. the video of the Steckel hit and its immediate aftermath should have been clear evidence that caution was required. Instead they let him play the almost meaningless next game despite a stiff neck. That was idiotic, and even if they'll never admit it, i think they know that's where they screwed everything.

It would be like if the Flyers let Giroux play the next game despite a stiff neck after getting kneed to the head (I guess the Crosby case helped Giroux).

The other thing i'm livid at is the league ineptitude over the years.. completely failed to address the epidemic problem of concussions despite all the evidences were there.
Protections have become weapons instead of going in the opposite directions.

Years ago i thought it would take a serious concussion to Crosby to wake them up. I guess i was wrong.. Sid came back after 11 months, nothing changed meanwhile, and a hard-shelled elbow sidelines him again.
MORONS.

Old
12-13-2011, 05:14 AM
canadianguy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I'm pretty sure if Sid received another concussion after the Steckel one, he might have died. Like if you get two concussions in a row in a short time period, that can be lethal.

My take is Steckel concussed him (a severe grade concussion) and the Hedman hit simply caused symptoms to flare up, but that he didn't necessarily sustain another concussion from the Hedman collision.

That's just my completely 100% out of my ass take though as I'm no doctor.

I also doubt he suffered a concussion again recently. I just don't see any hits which could have caused the type of trauma you would think would be required for one. Imo this is just a case of symptoms flaring up from exertion, which is unfortunately something Sid will always have to deal with as concussion symptoms obviously can resurface at any time.

But again, 100% out of my ass take I know nothing about concussions beyond what little I've read online and I could be wrong blah blah blah
This. I sincerely doubt he's suffered a concussion other than the one he took at TWC. That's not to say that TWC concussion wasn't severe...it clearly was. The symptoms from that hit have been manifesting themselves off and on since that day. They will be something that Sid will have to deal with until his brain is fully healed. I really think it's as simple as that.

As for fan's being angry about those symptoms re-manifesting almost a year after that hit...well...what can we do? Let people say he should retire for good or for a few years, or that the Pen's should trade him; but that still doesn't change anything.

I'm under the impression that he maybe should've taken a little more time off. Maybe sometime during the stretch-drive of 2012 would've been better. Who knows? Sidney is as competitive as they come, and so I assume he was raring to go. But even if he did wait that long, he still might have found himself in the same predicament he's in now during his first few weeks back.

The brain is a funny thing...it has been and continues to be the least understood part of human anatomy/physiology. Ten years from now, I'm sure that science will understand it a heck of a lot better than it does now.

I do think that we should be patient and not jump to conclusions.(and yes, I know that I'm jumping to conclusions myself) But alas...to each their own. JMHO

Old
12-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
Still isn't the player he was pre concussion.

Tons of players have come back from concussions. It isn't that big of a deal, it happens a lot more than people think.

The thing is, Sid's concussion is extremely severe, a la Savard's. But he is patient and didnt rush back into it. Sid is going to need a year or two before he's back to normal barring any minor, let alone major, set back
And yet there he was last year, scoring at as good a pace as he ever has in the playoffs with elite defense, leading his team to a Cup. All after a year-long absence from one concussion and a subsequent 15 games lost to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
No comparable is perfect, but Bergeron is the closest possible example we have to Sid. And he is now fine without shutting it down for years at a time.

Step back from the ledge. Others have gone through circumstances very similar to what Crosby has and pulled through with flying colours.

Old
12-13-2011, 07:13 AM
1 09Cup*

It's my duty as a Pens fan to hate everything Flyers, but Keith Primeau gets a temporay pass from hatredville for this:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

Old
12-13-2011, 07:18 AM
conroy675

It sucks seeing Sid out and dealing with more symptoms. But i'd rather him be overly cautious and take as much time as he wants. A persons health is way more important than their career. Hopefully for Sid's sake he comes back this time and its the last time we have to worry about him going down for a "concussion" again.

Old
12-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Puckie09

I'm not close to the ledge yet. I'm trying to stay as positive as possible so here is my little blurb about this whole incident.

1) There is a chance that Sid did have a slight setback from the hits. This could be related to his previous concussion or a new one who knows

2) Maybe it is just a headache. Ever been elbowed in the head. Maybe he is just thinking its concussion related when all it is is a headache. Also, The elbow to the face caused his cheek to swell up which would have put pressure on his sinuses which for Sid could have caused headaches. Maybe when all the swelling is gone, the headaches disappear and he is back on the ice.

3) Could just be too much too quick. They didn't really ease him back. +/-15min in the first game and then close to 20 min every game after. He hit a wall and his body was not used to that level of play after such a long layoff. Maybe this is causing the headaches. Over exertion. I know there was a couple times when i took a break from working out(a couple months) and then started up again I would get a slight headache when I pushed myself. Could be the same thing here

I think the Pens, Crosby and the Medical team are playing it smart and just being over cautious with this. That is my take on it.

Old
12-13-2011, 08:49 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Lotta people on here are gonna look dumb when hes back in a few weeks. He's not anywhere near as bad as he was last January or even August. I'm ready for the heartbreak of Sid never being the same but we shouldn't assume it at this point.
I honestly don't care if I look dumb. If he's back that soon then great, but past history with this team tells me otherwise. I just can't get positive about this situation at all at this point.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaproosta08 View Post
I was a Penguins fan before Crosby and will be a Penguins fan after Crosby.

His career is certainly not over at this point, but it is concerning.
I was a Pens fan before Lemieux, so I'm not jumping off by any means. This franchise has been blessed & cursed simultaneously. Blessed to have talents like Briere, Lemieux & Crosby. Cursed because all of them have had their careers shortened. In Briere's case, he was tragically killed after a car accident, but it seems that we have talented players come through here, but all of them have something bad happen. Jagr could be placed in here as well, but since he's a ******, I won't. It just seems as soon as we get a generational talent & the franchise turns a corner towards unprecedented stability, the rug gets pulled out. I feel bad for Sid, this has to be killing him.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Dupree13

I posted this on another board so I figure I'll try it here.

As you all know, next season (2012-13) is the final year of Sid's contract, after which he becomes an unrestricted free agent. There is certainly no need to address the situation at the present date, and obviously they will wait and see how the situation plays out for the rest of this year with Sid's health. But after the season, a very difficult situation may arise.

What if Sid never gets himself right this year? What if he doesn't play again at all this year, or what if he plays again this year and has yet another set-back? Several more stops and starts? Or what if he does manage to stay out there, but doesn't look like the same player?

Under those conditions, you can't possibly give him a long-term extension for big money. Or can you? And given all that Sid has meant to this organization, and his closeness with Mario, would the Pens even be able to make what would be an extremely difficult business decision if it came to it? Or should they not even consider it, and just give him the benefit of the doubt anyway?

In theory you could wait another year and assess things then, but Sid may not want to go into the year without a new deal.

Even if Sid comes back and seems fine, you'll never know if he's just a hit away from being back on the shelf. It would be one thing if he was a mid-tier player. Then if things go wrong, it won't be so devastating. But the kind of money Sid would get, could be a serious problem for the cap going forward.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:06 AM
nTsplnk*

I can't believe people on here still question the severity of Sidney Crosby's concussion last year and his subsequent symptoms.

The fact of the matter is it may take Sid two to three years to return to form.

As long as Sid is out this team will suffer. He needs to go on IR if he isn't even practicing.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Syrinx
Heh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
There's one who already looks dumb for questioning people's valid, well-founded concerns.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
I can't believe people on here still question the severity of Sidney Crosby's concussion last year and his subsequent symptoms.

The fact of the matter is it may take Sid two to three years to return to form.

As long as Sid is out this team will suffer. He needs to go on IR if he isn't even practicing.
Settle down.

I've had 2 concussions and can tell you from personal experience that it takes time for your brain to heal, but I am not going into a panic state like you and others. I said long before his comeback that there would be times he experienced symptoms and would probably sit out a number of games this season - low and behold.

Simply put this isn't anything I didn't expect.

I have a feeling Crosby could play though this latest setback if he chose to (and probably would have 5-10 years ago), but he is being smart and telling his doctors of any symptoms he has. He is being extremely intelligent about this.

Once you have been concussed, you learn not to blow off a headache or dizziness like you would have in the past - trust me. It isn't unusual to take a blow in a game and have a headache, feel dizzy, etc and not be concussed. It doesn't always have to be a blow to the head to cause these symptoms either.

I feel pretty confident that Crosby has had headaches and dizziness after a game throughout his career, but ignored it. It happens to just about anyone who plays the game at a competitive level. But he is more aware of these things now and being extremely cautious.

That is exactly what you want him to do. Unfortunately he has the media and fans going into drama queen mode, so it puts more pressure on him to hide things, which thankfully he isn't doing.

If anyone thought he would come back and not have any setbacks, you had your head in the clouds. It is a process and it is a roller coaster - try to keep the drama to a minimum.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:02 AM
joey23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Settle down.

I've had 2 concussions and can tell you from personal experience that it takes time for your brain to heal, but I am not going into a panic state like you and others. I said long before his comeback that there would be times he experienced symptoms and would probably sit out a number of games this season - low and behold.

Simply put this isn't anything I didn't expect.

I have a feeling Crosby could play though this latest setback if he chose to (and probably would have 5-10 years ago), but he is being smart and telling his doctors of any symptoms he has. He is being extremely intelligent about this.

Once you have been concussed, you learn not to blow off a headache or dizziness like you would have in the past - trust me. It isn't unusual to take a blow in a game and have a headache, feel dizzy, etc and not be concussed. It doesn't always have to be a blow to the head to cause these symptoms either.

I feel pretty confident that Crosby has had headaches and dizziness after a game throughout his career, but ignored it. It happens to just about anyone who plays the game at a competitive level. But he is more aware of these things now and being extremely cautious.

That is exactly what you want him to do. Unfortunately he has the media and fans going into drama queen mode, so it puts more pressure on him to hide things, which thankfully he isn't doing.

If anyone thought he would come back and not have any setbacks, you had your head in the clouds. It is a process and it is a roller coaster - try to keep the drama to a minimum.

Watching his interview yesterday, he did not look like a guy that had been given the worst news ever...

Old
12-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Jaded-Fan

A couple of relevant points:

a) Didn't he take the concussion test and passed it? Hopefully that means something

b) I could give a damn about the regular season. It matters as to one home playoff game at worst (and who really thinks Crosby out of the lineup will send up to the bottom of the playoff team standings anyways?). It could effect who we play, but first and second seed teams lose series every year, it really seldom makes much difference who you play. You may even match up better against a 3 or 2 seed than a 6 seed anyways.

Be cautious, make sure with Sid, have him for the playoffs, win.

You all are talking about Sid like I talk about the Pirates. You really want zero hope, and emotional abuse and battery, become a Pirate fan. I see nothing to indicate this is anything but a relatively short term issue.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey23 View Post
Watching his interview yesterday, he did not look like a guy that had been given the worst news ever...
He isn't going to go through the rest of his career without getting headaches again. No player will.

But in the early stages of his comeback he has to be extremely cautious about things of this nature.

People will panic and talk about him being Lindros and his career being over blah blah - can't stop people from overreacting.

Closed Thread