HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards making Rangers sparkle

Old
12-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Blueshirt Special

vCash: 500
I think the fact that he helped us avoid giving up assets speaks volumes for his intentions. I have tremendous respect for this, and I think it sent a message to everyone on the team that he is for real and most defintley NOT a mercenary.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I think the fact that he helped us avoid giving up assets speaks volumes for his intentions. I have tremendous respect for this, and I think it sent a message to everyone on the team that he is for real and most defintley NOT a mercenary.
Good for us.

A bit of a dick move to the Stars, but not really. He had a No-trade clause and every right to use it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Good for us.

A bit of a dick move to the Stars, but not really. He had a No-trade clause and every right to use it.
Not really at all. Why should he show loyalty to the team that had no intention of keeping him around?

Feel bad for the fans though.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Pizza

The guy has been a solid, solid addition....and I had some serious doubts owing to our past history with high priced FA's.

Those of you who scolded me were right. He's different.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
And I don't get where this idea of Richards being good defensively comes from: he's not. But it doesn't really matter.
I don't think he's really good, but I don't think he's bad either. Like, I don't see Gaborik really doing anything better on defense that Richards does, which is why I end up confused that there is a difference between their +/-'s

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

i like him even more now

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Carmelo Anthony should have taken notes from Brad Richards

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:08 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't think he's really good, but I don't think he's bad either. Like, I don't see Gaborik really doing anything better on defense that Richards does, which is why I end up confused that there is a difference between their +/-'s
Because +/- is not all that representative of somebody's defensive skill in many cases.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:15 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The guy has been a solid, solid addition....and I had some serious doubts owing to our past history with high priced FA's.

Those of you who scolded me were right. He's different.
While I agree that Richards is different than the other free agents who have failed here, it's still only 27 games into a 9 year contract. I don't expect him to have a drop off like Drury did, but we can't completely rule it out either. Anything can happen.

But for now, he's playing great. If he can maintain near this level for the next 5 years, I don't care what he does in the final 3 years.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Garv23

"Sparkle"? Sorry, but the team I love does NOT "sparkle".

Richards has been great. It feels good to have an elite center finally. The guy works hard every shift too.

Garv23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Rangers1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post

Richards has been great. It feels good to have an elite center finally. The guy works hard every shift too.

Hank's mask does.

Rangers1135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
*cough*CBA*cough*

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:35 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Well, I've been watching and following the Rangers for over 20 years, and I cant even remember being legitimately excited about a free agent signing. I was excited about Richards, hes producing, and perhaps best of all in terms of this conversation, hes showing a lot of people why his game will translate well deep into his longterm contract.

Call it silly if you'd like, I know theres a long way to go; but at least try to list some Ranger free agent signings that turned out well and could rival this one.
Just off top of my head, Ulf Nilsson, Anders Hedberg, Mark Pavelich(UFA), I realize they were 30 yrs ago but what the heck

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:40 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Totally different situations.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
Just off top of my head, Ulf Nilsson, Anders Hedberg, Mark Pavelich(UFA), I realize they were 30 yrs ago but what the heck
Touche, granted I was born in 1982 and didnt see any of these guys play.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Gaborik scores a greater proportion of his points at even strength. Aside from my final comment, that's what I was driving at.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post

He's always been a work horse. I think that's why he fits so well with this team. And why NY is falling in love with him. And to think his best is ahead of him. He could have a very good year.

So far I think he has been ok not great. I keep thinking back when he was on Tampa and how dangerous he was then. He scared me alot more than Vinnie or Marty. We just might see that Richards come the second half, once he gets settled and comfortable here. I'm telling you,.. he can be really frightening for opposing teams.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
He's always been a work horse. I think that's why he fits so well with this team. And why NY is falling in love with him. And to think his best is ahead of him. He could have a very good year.

So far I think he has been ok not great. I keep thinking back when he was on Tampa and how dangerous he was then. He scared me alot more than Vinnie or Marty. We just might see that Richards come the second half, once he gets settled and comfortable here. I'm telling you,.. he can be really frightening for opposing teams.
Yup. He just seems to know exactly when to make certain moves. See: the fake slap-shot, change-the-angle roof shot the other night. He reads the defense so well and instead of just randomly trying a certain deke (cough Gaborik ) he takes what's given and turns it into a scoring chance. Such an efficient player in the offensive zone. He rarely turns the puck over because he made a wrong decision. Sometimes his pass or shot will be off the mark or he'll overskate a puck, but he does everything with a thoughtful purpose and he is DECISIVE with the puck. No hesitation in his game. As good as his contributions on the scoresheet are, I think he's equally important to the development of Stepan. Stepan reads the play so well also and learning how to take what's given and become a more efficient offensive-zone player from Brad Richards is invaluable.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:09 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

The first time where I really thought it was going to be a highly possible scenario was toward the end of the 09-10 season. Imagining the possibilities of Richards being a Ranger was almost too good to be true with that talentless group. I remember thinking he would be the team's best center since pre-Vancouver Messier or end-of-career Gretzky, a depressing fact but also a tremendous change offensively.

He has lived up to that, and it's still almost too good to be true.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Leetch66

Even when Richards is home here on PEI in the Summer he keeps a fairly low profile and up till a couple of years ago he used to host a fairly large celebrity golf for charity event but he decided to do something different last Summer and donated a huge chunk of money on his own to a local hospital or something like that from what I can remember reading about .

Our Province only has 130,000 people on it and we are very proud of our boys in the NHL like Adam McQuaid and Brad Richards . It is great to see the warm reception that Ranger fans have shown him even though he started off a bit slowly . I don't think anybody on PEI will be angry if he brings that Olivia doll home for the Summer .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:03 PM
park rangers
Optimist

sthparkle

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:51 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

He's done great so far and he definitely makes us better but I wouldn't consider him our savior. Playoffs and regular season are very different atmospheres and it will be interesting to see how he performs. Not that I'm doubting him, but I'm saving my praise until I see the guy play a few months from now, although getting there is one of the hardest parts and I'm sure he'll provide a major contribution for us getting to the 83rd game.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote