Minnesota Wild At Winnipeg Jets - 13/12/11

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2011, 12:35 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Hello northern neighbors. The Wild have a last minute lineup change:

Cullen is sick, and will miss the game. Almond will move up to take his place, and Latendresse makes his return from his concussion tonight. Here's what I believe the new lines are:

Latendresse-Koivu-Heatley
Bouchard-Almond-Wellman
Johnson-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Gillies-Powe-Staubitz

Coach Yeo might shuffle them up differently though.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

It's all about the perception IMO. You can't waive/trade a player you just sign. It might make free agents think twice about signing with you in the future.

Realistically, this rule gets broken all the time (ex. Vancouver traded a newly signed Sturm for Booth, San Jose traded a newly re-signed Setoguchi for Burns, etc), but those teams are contenders and have been competitive for a long time. We're still trying to carve out an identity for ourselves in the league.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Hello northern neighbors. The Wild have a last minute lineup change:

Cullen is sick, and will miss the game. Almond will move up to take his place, and Latendresse makes his return from his concussion tonight. Here's what I believe the new lines are:

Latendresse-Koivu-Heatley
Bouchard-Almond-Wellman
Johnson-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Gillies-Powe-Staubitz

Coach Yeo might shuffle them up differently though.
We'd love to give you a Jets lineup,but apparently our players can't:

A) Get healthy
B) Make it through practice without getting hurt
C) Know enough about their health that they might be able to play and therefore not cost us a promising young player to the waiver wire.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

WOOHOO Latendresse is back!!

Old
12-13-2011, 12:44 PM
KBADCJET

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Good luck guys and gals!
Thanks!

Oh ... had a look at your GDT and found it to be quite humorous. Can't wait till we play your team in your fine city Minneapolis!

Cheers!

Old
12-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Well, we won't agree about the Kulda vs Jones part, so I'll leave it at that.
My problem with this is, people keep up the Jones hate, but show me the evidence to back it up. There isn't any. The dislike for the guy is based on stuff heard from others and previous play well before he was coached by Huddy. We give Bogosian a chance... we notice Oduya's improvement. Hell, plenty of people are giving Byfuglien a pass even though his improvement has been MUCH slower.

Still no love for Jones though. It baffles me.

12-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I thought it would be games played this year that would affect going back through waivers, what is the significance of Sunday, December 11?
It's 10 games or 30 days on the pro roster and you become eligible for waivers again. Kulda was called up on November 12.

tbcwpg, if I am the Jets sitting there on Sat/Sun knowing that Jones is back in and that Hainsey is just days away, here is what I do. If I KNOW I do not want to keep Kulda up, but I cannot be sure Hainsey will be ready for Tuesday, we not just send Kulda down to protect the asset, call up Festerling as the #7 for Tuesday and be the just in case guy? Surely Festerling could handle one game? Then you could send Festerling down once Hainsey is back since he is nowhere near the limits (or even stick him on waivers, he is a veteran #8-9 D nobody cares), but this way YOU PROTECT ALL YOUR ASSETS. This is really REALLY SIMPLE ASSET MANAGEMENT. I am a nobody on the message boards and I figured this out, why can the Jets not?

The reason I am so pissed off right now is not that they sent down Kulda instead of waiving Jones/Flood, it is that Jets management is being absolutely **** show with regards to protecting their assets. This is just basic waivers rules, how do the people running the team not understand them :

Old
12-13-2011, 12:48 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBADCJET View Post
Thanks!

Oh ... had a look at your GDT and found it to be quite humorous. Can't wait till we play your team in your fine city Minneapolis!

Cheers!
Thought the Wild played in Bloomington.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
First of all, how is 335 gp close to a 1000?

I hardly call Jones "a great PKer". He is above average, but his lack of speed does leave him exposed from time to time. He is a guy you have to watch to make sure he does not play against the other teams top players since he does not have the foot speed. He can log 12-14 decent minutes against the 2-4 lines since he is a character guy that works hard and blocks shots, but there is no upside. I think that right now, with Kulda's better skating, passing, and positioning they are pretty much a wash, but Kulda is 22/23 with plenty of upside.

I do not think the Jones "for sure gets claimed" and "Kulda 90% clears" at all. If I am a rebuilding team like Ana, Cbs, Nyi I am liking my chops at adding a young piece like Kulda for free, but I do not see the market for Jones, esspecially at his salary. On any half-way decent team he is a #7, and makes about 4-5K more than he should, which for a cap tight team can be a big difference for a completely unimportant role like a #7 D.
Apologies, I'm not sure why I thought he had played 800 games, you are correct.

As for the PK thing etc. I know you are a Kings fan so your opinion of Jones is somewhat jaded to me. I am basing my opinion on him on his time as a Jet, as we all should be.

Again, I didn't want to lose Kulda. I still think he will clear.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:50 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Winnipeg Jets post-practice audio

An interesting practice today. Burmistrov wasn’t on the ice and won’t be playing tonight. Both Nik Antropov and Eric Fehr were on the ice but won’t be playing tonight. The Jets picked up Antti Miettinen off waivers. They also placed Arturs Kulda on waivers.

Ron Hainsey – Returning to the ice. Talks about the injury. Whether he expects to play more minutes.

Bryan Little - Talks facing off against the Wild. Need for shots against Wild netminders. Fast game. Whether it is a statement game. Building a rivalry with Wild.

Dustin Byfuglien – Talks about the injury in 1st period of game against Detroit. Playing at home and taking advantage of it. Discusses the Wild. Measuring tape. Minnesota guys playing against home state team. Bragging rights during summer. Throwing pucks on net. How the Andrew Ladd birthday prank fell apart.

Chris Thorburn – Talks about the expectation for the Wild game. Still snakebitten but expects to come out of it. GST chant discussion.

Nik Antropov - Had a setback in Detroit, aiming for Thursday. Frustration with being out of lineup.

Eric Fehr – Not cleared for tonight. Won’t go into detail about injury.

Coach Noel - Discusses availability of Miettinen. Talks about his skills, what he will bring to the mix. Burmistrov being day to day. Roster decisions. What he will do without 12 forwards. Possibility of bringing someone from St. John's. Wild hockey. What Ron Hainsey brings to the lineup. Parallels between Jets and Wild.

GM Kevin Cheveldayoff - Talks about the Jets picking up Antti Miettinen off waivers and placing Arturs Kulda on waivers.

To listen to the audio, click here.

Am going to have the Wild audio up soon as well as Coach Noel & GM Cheveldayoff (talking about the Jets waiver wire pickup)

Last edited by ICdave: 12-13-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old
12-13-2011, 12:56 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
It's 10 games or 30 days on the pro roster and you become eligible for waivers again. Kulda was called up on November 12.

tbcwpg, if I am the Jets sitting there on Sat/Sun knowing that Jones is back in and that Hainsey is just days away, here is what I do. If I KNOW I do not want to keep Kulda up, but I cannot be sure Hainsey will be ready for Tuesday, we not just send Kulda down to protect the asset, call up Festerling as the #7 for Tuesday and be the just in case guy? Surely Festerling could handle one game? Then you could send Festerling down once Hainsey is back since he is nowhere near the limits (or even stick him on waivers, he is a veteran #8-9 D nobody cares), but this way YOU PROTECT ALL YOUR ASSETS. This is really REALLY SIMPLE ASSET MANAGEMENT. I am a nobody on the message boards and I figured this out, why can the Jets not?

The reason I am so pissed off right now is not that they sent down Kulda instead of waiving Jones/Flood, it is that Jets management is being absolutely **** show with regards to protecting their assets. This is just basic waivers rules, how do the people running the team not understand them :
Wasn't aware that Festerling is back playing, otherwise that might've been a smart move. The only other thing I can think of is that because of the nature of Hainsey's injury, they really had no idea when he'd be able to go.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

glass couldnt handle the ****ing all star

wtf is he doing shooting there?

Old
12-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Prot

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgMikos View Post

An interesting practice today. Burmistrov wasn’t on the ice and won’t be playing tonight. Both Nik Antropov and Eric Fehr were on the ice but won’t be playing tonight. The Jets picked up Antti Miettinen off waivers. They also placed Arturs Kulda on waivers.

Ron Hainsey – Returning to the ice. Talks about the injury. Whether he expects to play more minutes.

Bryan Little - Talks facing off against the Wild. Need for shots against Wild netminders. Fast game. Whether it is a statement game. Building a rivalry with Wild.

Dustin Byfuglien – Talks about the injury in 1st period of game against Detroit. Playing at home and taking advantage of it. Discusses the Wild. Measuring tape. Minnesota guys playing against home state team. Bragging rights during summer. Throwing pucks on net. How the Andrew Ladd birthday prank fell apart.

Chris Thorburn – Talks about the expectation for the Wild game. Still snakebitten but expects to come out of it. GST chant discussion.

Nik Antropov - Had a setback in Detroit, aiming for Thursday. Frustration with being out of lineup.

Eric Fehr – Not cleared for tonight. Won’t go into detail about injury.

To listen to the audio, click here.

Am going to have the Wild audio up soon as well as Coach Noel & GM Cheveldayoff (talking about the Jets waiver wire pickup)
Is Burmi hurt? I don't know why but I could see Noel perhaps trading him. I see tremendous value and future in him, but sometimes Noel has sat him for situations I just don't understand.

I hope he's just got a hickey or something.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Apologies, I'm not sure why I thought he had played 800 games, you are correct.

As for the PK thing etc. I know you are a Kings fan so your opinion of Jones is somewhat jaded to me. I am basing my opinion on him on his time as a Jet, as we all should be.

Again, I didn't want to lose Kulda. I still think he will clear.
My experiences as a King fan (him being the worst defenseman the Kings have had in a looong time) has mostly influenced me to watch him really really close, and his lack of footspeed and positioning gets him caught quite often. Not to mention he is not really physical. But I did admit he could play 12-14 minutes in sheltered minutes, which considering where I had him at the start of the year (somewhere between Australian Pro Hockey League and the Dakota League Division 2), I think I have soften quite alot.

My main point is above, this IS NOT Kulda vs Jones or Kulda vs Flood or anything. It is about asset management. If you know Hainsey/Meech are that close(even if they had no confirmation of Tuesday they HAD to know next week) to returning and you send Kulda down on the weekend when he did not have to clear waivers. It is JUST PLAIN stupid to do otherwise. It is horrible business to offer to lose asset for free when you could just as easily protect it, even if you feel the asset has minimal value.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:

Maybe the Jets org. doesn't share the same view of Kulda as people on this board (as in, they don't care if they lose him).

I don't know, or agree, but you have to think they are very careful with every move they are making. They have to have a reason to do what they did, no?

Old
12-13-2011, 01:02 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBADCJET View Post
Thanks!

Cheers!
As long as it is not the city of Minnesota like those Ottawa fatcats.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
12-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Huffer

Quote:

Thanks, didn't know about the 30 day thing.

Your analysis is exactly what has been going through my mind. Even down to Festerling. This is just some straight up garbage asset management here.

And before someone comes in and says, relax it's only Arturs Kulda, it's not just the fact that we could potentially lose a 23 year old defenseman who has shown good indications of being a bottom pairing D man in the NHL.

It's the fact that we could lose him, and it would have been 100% totally preventable. Garbage.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetHabs View Post
The Wild aren't boring.
They definitely come off as boring (due to past coaching).

Old
12-13-2011, 01:12 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I'm guessing Mittens won't be in the lineup tonight?

Old
12-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post

glass couldnt handle the ****ing all star

wtf is he doing shooting there?
Maybe Tanner was on the ice at the same time and Dany was like..

"Hey Tanner, tonight THIS IS YOU!" *GADOOSH*

Last edited by Lynk: 12-13-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old
12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Minnesota Wild post-practice audio

Minnesota Wild post-practice audio

Mikko Koivu - How the Wild have had success. What Mike Yeo has brought to the table. Close-knit team? What Dany Heatley brings to the squad. What Antti Miettinen will bring to the Jets. What the guys know about the Jets team. Talks about MTS Centre.

Dany Heatley - What has led the Wild to being so successful. What the Wild are like. Developed chemistry quickly. What he expects tonight.

To listen to the Wild audio, click here.

Last edited by ICdave: 12-13-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old
12-13-2011, 01:26 PM
wpgJetsfan

I don't see the Jets winning this one tonight. Minny is the best team in the league right now. They play wicked D and they have two goalies with just over a 2 GAA.

However I would like them to be a spoiler and break the 7 game winning streak.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Banged up in practice?? We're talking about practice? Crap!! Can't wait to see the lineup now.

Is Antro and Buff out as well? Yikes.

Burms, Antro and Buff out. Wonderful.

Back down to 0.500 we go.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
My experiences as a King fan (him being the worst defenseman the Kings have had in a looong time) has mostly influenced me to watch him really really close, and his lack of footspeed and positioning gets him caught quite often. Not to mention he is not really physical. But I did admit he could play 12-14 minutes in sheltered minutes, which considering where I had him at the start of the year (somewhere between Australian Pro Hockey League and the Dakota League Division 2), I think I have soften quite alot.

My main point is above, this IS NOT Kulda vs Jones or Kulda vs Flood or anything. It is about asset management. If you know Hainsey/Meech are that close(even if they had no confirmation of Tuesday they HAD to know next week) to returning and you send Kulda down on the weekend when he did not have to clear waivers. It is JUST PLAIN stupid to do otherwise. It is horrible business to offer to lose asset for free when you could just as easily protect it, even if you feel the asset has minimal value.
I gotta say Holden, after listening to Cheveldayoff I am more on your side before. It's almost like the whole Kulda on waivers was an afterthought as opposed to a well thought out plan.

It flabbergasts me that someone at the very top level of sports management wouldn't think through every single player move. It just seemed to me like it was "oh, Hainsey is ready, who are we gonna waive?".

If this is the case I certainly hope the gaffe is pointed out and a lesson learned. You can't just lose assets for nothing if you have any desire to keep them in the org.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
As long as it is not the city of Minnesota like those Ottawa fatcats.
the city of Minnesota?

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Closed Thread