HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team Identity

Old
12-13-2011, 03:58 AM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

vCash: 500
Team Identity

With TM gone, I'm curious as to what everyone here thinks about the identity of this club (philosophy, slogan/phrase, style, player, etc). What do you think the team's identity has been so far this season? What do you think the identity of this team should be moving forward?

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:05 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
With TM gone, I'm curious as to what everyone here thinks about the identity of this club (philosophy, slogan/phrase, style, player, etc). What do you think the team's identity has been so far this season? What do you think the identity of this team should be moving forward?
Stifled offense. Goals=Fun.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:20 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

The identity is that there's no accountability. The players probably shut off Terry Murray after consecutive first round playoff losses and DL wasn't willing to see that. So not only did the players lose faith in their coach but now they've lost faith in their GM to make the right decisions for the team. The players look like they are just going through the motions on the ice and as much as Dustin Brown is a nice guy, he has no business captaining this team.

Now we have an interim coach who arguably has the same reputation as the last coach. We have the leadership group of the team being called out by the GM in the press. We have a frustrated group of young players who are tired of playing in a rigid system. All in all there is a lot of anger up and down the organization. NOT GOOD.

This is a ****ing mess and Lombardi needs to accept the blame, or the team owner/president need to do something before DL runs this team further into the ground.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:32 AM
KingsFan7824

Not to pick on the guy who forced the spotlight on himself, but Doughty is the microcosm of this entire team. His play is the identity. The talent is there, but they're just not bringing it. Lazy play, poor execution, just doing whatever.

Frankly I don't trust the players on this team anymore. Maybe a new coach will spark something, maybe a younger coach will spark something, but I don't know. They're going to have to prove it. No more assumptions with these guys.

Want a slogan? Prove it.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Not to pick on the guy who forced the spotlight on himself, but Doughty is the microcosm of this entire team. His play is the identity. The talent is there, but they're just not bringing it. Lazy play, poor execution, just doing whatever.

Trade him for a sniper? Giroux? Skinner? LoL, Doughty for Skinner & Gleason? Would you do it?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:07 AM
bral
Go Kings!

So disappointed with this team right now, I couldn't care less about what dumb slogan or phonney philosophy they come up with. I hope DL hires Sutter just to punish these bums. And our wingers are still dogpoo. I will make a friendly wager of screennames with anyone that we don't make the playoffs with Penner,Gagne,Williams and Brown as our top six.

bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:22 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Trade him for a sniper? Giroux? Skinner? LoL, Doughty for Skinner & Gleason? Would you do it?
No. Not yet. Too soon to give up on Doughty. I'm just somewhat amazed at how he's played for the last year and a half.

We all know what Doughty can do. For whatever reasons, last year it was blatant interference penalties at the blue line, or going for the big hit, even when it wasn't there. This season it's been completely unnecessary cross checks in the defensive zone, along with just a general malaise. I could chalk it up to the contract stuff, but he played the same way last year. Perhaps he was so frustrated by the coach, and he just didn't know how to handle it, so he does whatever on the ice.

Like I said, no more assumptions. Now that Murray is gone, it's on the players. Whoever the next coach is, beggars can't be choosers. No more assuming Doughty(or anyone else) is great. It's time to prove it. If Doughty keeps taking these mindless penalties though, and then whining to the refs for the obvious penalty call, then next summer might be time to trade him. The little kid act is wearing a bit thin.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Kingurentai

Big physical game tonight. Win or lose, I want to see some emotion out there.

I'd like to see some non-usuals drop em. Voynov, JJ, etc.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:01 PM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Stifled offense. Goals=Fun.
I like it. "Fun" might be the way to go in the short term. I'm not sure how well that would work down the stretch or in the playoffs...assuming we can still pull it off. Here's a sobering stat, we have to win about 2 out of every 3 games left to guarantee a spot. With the way we're playing that might be tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
The identity is that there's no accountability.

I think accountability could be good identity moving forward, but maybe in a more positive light. Each player looking at what they can do for their linemates and the team. This might be what the next coach needs to bring to the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post

Want a slogan? Prove it.
It doesn't help that he was holding out for all that money and then comes out this year and plays like this. I wish there was a better guy to pin the identity to, like Kopitar, but even he's had issues. I wish Brown was the guy, but he just hasn't shown to be that player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bral View Post
So disappointed with this team right now, I couldn't care less about what dumb slogan or phonney philosophy they come up with. I hope DL hires Sutter just to punish these bums. And our wingers are still dogpoo. I will make a friendly wager of screennames with anyone that we don't make the playoffs with Penner,Gagne,Williams and Brown as our top six.
When I asked I didn't mean anything phony or a slogan necessarily. An identity can be something each player can latch onto throughout the year. It simplifies things and makes it all relative. I think the team is missing that right now.

I would love if the team latched onto the idea of 'overcoming adversity', especially with everything that's happening right now. They need to take a good look in the mirror and play through all this change and come out for the better.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Rod Buskas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
I wish there was a better guy to pin the identity to, like Kopitar, but even he's had issues.
elaborate, please ?

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
bobafettish*

shot mentality?

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
shot mentality?
Terry Murray's shot mentality gave me a shot mentality of my own...

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:47 PM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
elaborate, please ?
Bad wording on my part. By issues I don't mean he's had playing or effort issues, but in taking that next step to becoming the heart and soul of a team. If he could somehow get that, he would instantly become the identity of this team, and I would be all for that.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Duc620

I want a smart team. I want an intense team. I want a team with swagger.

I want a team that gets pi**ed when it loses and then makes the next team on the schedule pay for it.

I want a team that smiles while beating the hell out of all the other teams.

I want a team that drives other teams and coaches absolutely batsh**t crazy.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:18 PM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
I want a smart team. I want an intense team. I want a team with swagger.

I want a team that gets pi**ed when it loses and then makes the next team on the schedule pay for it.

I want a team that smiles while beating the hell out of all the other teams.

I want a team that drives other teams and coaches absolutely batsh**t crazy.
I would love a team like this. The first teams I thought of when I read this was Boston and Philly. Not sure we'll get to this point in the near future, unless DS awakens the beast in this team. It fits the mold for Richards, Brown, Clifford, Westgarth, Johnson, Mitchell, Greene and to some degree Doughty when each of them are on their game.

Old
12-13-2011, 05:32 PM
acrethrills

This is still the best time to be a Kings fan in the last decade or so. Sure, the series win over Detroit and the battles with the Avs were great (circa 2001), but we actually have a legitimate top-tier goalie now. I don't understand all the negativity. Winning or losing games 2-1 is nerve-wracking, for sure, but this team has been in almost every game this season. I feel like our worst hockey is behind us, and looking at the teams ahead of us in the standings, there is no reason why we can't win the last ever Pacific Division title.

acrethrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:01 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Bad wording on my part. By issues I don't mean he's had playing or effort issues, but in taking that next step to becoming the heart and soul of a team. If he could somehow get that, he would instantly become the identity of this team, and I would be all for that.
They have their heart and soul player in Mike Richards and that will only become stronger/more apparent as the year rolls on. Kopitar is the most elite player and skilled on the team, but he doesn't have MR's IQ or heart.
Nor doe sMR have the natural talent Kopi has, his career was built around high IQ sweat and swagger. His style of play is why so many players hate playing against him, because he never quits and what he brings.

That's what makes them a good 1 -2 pair ad when used effectively, as we saw early i n the year when the PP was cooking, they are killers out there.

Heart is not something you 'learn' to do, you either are born with it or you aren't. Kopitar can benefit from Richards by working harder and better, but he can't get heart.

Richards is the only forward with killer instinct who plays starving all the time and has the IQ to make it work well. That 's one reason the team is 0-4 without him, he is the engine that makes them go.

Last edited by deeshamrock: 12-13-2011 at 06:07 PM.
deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Nex06

Unfortunately there were couple of games this season when even the big heart Mike Richards seemed to have quit and Kopitar was the only one who was still flying around. I don't buy "heart" related arguments with any player. These players all care enough, or else they would have never become NHL regulars.

They have already shown what I want to see from this team - even this season. It just didn't last for long. Each one of the players has shown "heart" this season. So it's there.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:58 PM
DaAnimal

honestly people keep talking about our offense. Well to be frank we have individuals that can pot in the goals and we have decent finishers. I'm not really concerned about our offense. I just want to make sure that EVERYONE is having fun out there. Be the best you can and make every game count. Treat every game like a playoff game and take accountability if you screw up.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote