HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2011, 10:05 AM
TheDave1022

vCash: 500
Quote:
Larry Brooks
Sauer has not been around team, will not make trip to St.L, Phx.
http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/stat...20717050503168

Old
12-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave1022 View Post
Ugh.

Stralman scares the crap out of me.

COME BACK SOON SAUER!

Old
12-13-2011, 10:17 AM
NYROrtsFan

Take your time...

When he gets back we've learned these concussion things are mainly luck anyway. Comes down to whether the player can absorb the hits. Pens did everything right with Crosby and the extra time didn't do him much good.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

stralman looked solid to me the past two nights. guy can skate and make some plays.

but yah we def need sauer back asap

Old
12-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Levitate

Yeah I only noticed Stralman make a few iffy mistakes, but then again the Panthers weren't pressuring him hard for most of the game

Should be adequate, probably just giving Sauer plenty of time to rest and recover before putting him back on the ice

Old
12-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Crosby is probably boned. The only hard hit I saw him receive was in the Isles game from Hamonic, and it wasn't anything that would cause a concussion in a normal player. If those kinds of impacts are going to cause Crosby PCS, he's not going to be in this league for much longer, especially given how much time he took to recover from his prior concussions. I despise him as a player, but it's sad to see that happen to a generational talent before they've even hit their prime.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Im starting to get really worried.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

I think Stralman has looked awful. It hasn't hurt us yet, but he has been positionally dreadful. On 2v2s, he cuts to the puck carrier, even if he's supposed to have the open man, he doesn't battle for pucks, his stick work is pretty bad, and he flat-out loses his defensive assignments way too often.

Maybe he just needs time to adjust to NHL speed again, but nothing I have seen from him gives me confidence thus far. He could have very easily been directly responsible for a good 4 or 5 goals against if we weren't so lucky.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Im starting to get really worried.
Agreed 100%

Old
12-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I think Stralman has looked awful. It hasn't hurt us yet, but he has been positionally dreadful. On 2v2s, he cuts to the puck carrier, even if he's supposed to have the open man, he doesn't battle for pucks, his stick work is pretty bad, and he flat-out loses his defensive assignments way too often.

Maybe he just needs time to adjust to NHL speed again, but nothing I have seen from him gives me confidence thus far. He could have very easily been directly responsible for a good 4 or 5 goals against if we weren't so lucky.
I haven't seen this at all. All I've seen is a guy trying to feel is way back into a rhythm. You can see he wants to rush the puck and head-man it whenever possible. He tries to create offense but so far he's looked like a slightly better Gilroy. I think he's still got room to improve as he gets more comfortable with the new team, system, city, etc. Give the guy a chance. He's definitely got potential, so its worth a look. Certainly better than Woywitka, IMO.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Schwagtastic

Quote:
Crosby is probably boned. The only hard hit I saw him receive was in the Isles game from Hamonic, and it wasn't anything that would cause a concussion in a normal player. If those kinds of impacts are going to cause Crosby PCS, he's not going to be in this league for much longer, especially given how much time he took to recover from his prior concussions. I despise him as a player, but it's sad to see that happen to a generational talent before they've even hit their prime.
I thought he accidentally got hit in the face by Krejci and that was causing it. There was a thread on the main board a few days ago about it.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:52 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sent: Dec 13, 2011 11:07a

Torts not ruling Mike Rupp, cleared 4 contact, out of playing in either STL or PHX this week; Michael Sauer, though, not making trip

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/thenyrangers/stat...22193843970048

These things take time. Its been a week since the concussion. Maybe Sauer went to see the doctor in Texas he saw in 2006.

Crosby went looking for trouble and he found it. That's on him. He was playing lights out and then decides to start challenging guys. They'll break you in half in this league.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Dec 13, 2011 11:07a

Torts not ruling Mike Rupp, cleared 4 contact, out of playing in either STL or PHX this week; Michael Sauer, though, not making trip

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/thenyrangers/stat...22193843970048

These things take time. Its been a week since the concussion. Maybe Sauer went to see the doctor in Texas he saw in 2006.

Crosby went looking for trouble and he found it. That's on him. He was playing lights out and then decides to start challenging guys. They'll break you in half in this league.
Come on, now it wasn't like Crosby got run by somebody wanting revenge. If Sidney had gone skating around like he was afraid of contact it would have exacerbated the problem.

As far as Sauer goes, it seems MDZ chose the right time to have a big season. But we better hope this doesn't evolve into a season-ending thing.

12-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I haven't seen this at all. All I've seen is a guy trying to feel is way back into a rhythm. You can see he wants to rush the puck and head-man it whenever possible. He tries to create offense but so far he's looked like a slightly better Gilroy. I think he's still got room to improve as he gets more comfortable with the new team, system, city, etc. Give the guy a chance. He's definitely got potential, so its worth a look. Certainly better than Woywitka, IMO.
I never complained about his offense, it's his defense that worries me. He has been bad positionally in the defensive zone, especially on opposing rushes. I'm willing to write off his first few games as rust, but he needs the eliminate the lapses quickly, or else it's going to start costing us. We have been insanely lucky thus far that we haven't been hurt by his blunders.

And he is definitely not better than Woywitka, at least not defensively.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I think Stralman has looked fine. His first two games weren't good, but cut the guy some slack, he'd been sitting on the bench forever before those 2 starts. While he's not physically commanding like Sauer, he's been shooting a lot, pinching in on the play well and is pretty quick on his feet.

We can't really judge him without seeing him get some regular games in a row and I think with each game he has improved.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:51 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 822
This whole concussion thing is starting to be taken overboard. 10 months out for some headaches wtf? If they care so much about preserving their health when they are 60 then they shouldn't be playing hockey to begin with.

Can't be a Maserati driving professional athlete making millions of dollars and expect your health to be fully there for the rest of your life....slight trade off from having to do the 9-5 for minimum wage until 67 years of age.

Really getting tired of a few sob stories causing this much panic. There are thousands upon thousands of professional athletes from hard hitting physical sports alive today who are just fine.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Are you for real? Do you even know what the average life expectancy for an NFL player is? 59 years old. These men are far from fine when they leave the sport. I have absolutely no problem with these guys taking as long as they need to ensure that they are healthy.

Having PCS is not normal. To expect someone to risk further damaging their BRAIN so you can be entertained is pure lunacy.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:20 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
This whole concussion thing is starting to be taken overboard. 10 months out for some headaches wtf? If they care so much about preserving their health when they are 60 then they shouldn't be playing hockey to begin with.

Can't be a Maserati driving professional athlete making millions of dollars and expect your health to be fully there for the rest of your life....slight trade off from having to do the 9-5 for minimum wage until 67 years of age.

Really getting tired of a few sob stories causing this much panic. There are thousands upon thousands of professional athletes from hard hitting physical sports alive today who are just fine.
You really need to educate yourself on the subject before you start spewing this crap. Headaches are but one possible symptom of a concussion. When you have a concussion, it means you damaged your brain. And when you post stuff like this, it makes me wonder how many concussions you've had.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Levitate

Athletes are probably ok with knowing their knees and crap could be messed up as they get older, or general body aches and pains being a problem, but when you realize you could get dementia and all kinds of horrible cognitive ailments because of repeated concussions before you're even that old, that's probably where people start drawing the line

Marc Savard is only 34 and will never live a normal life because of repeated brain trauma. Players and teams are trying to lesson the risk of someone being Savard'd by making sure they're as healthy as possible before coming back.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:49 PM
vladmyir111

Quote:
Are you for real? Do you even know what the average life expectancy for an NFL player is? 59 years old. These men are far from fine when they leave the sport. I have absolutely no problem with these guys taking as long as they need to ensure that they are healthy.

Having PCS is not normal. To expect someone to risk further damaging their BRAIN so you can be entertained is pure lunacy.
An average life of 59 years as a millionaire or 78 as a run of the mill postman or mcdonalds worker or receptionist...it's a choice they have, most of us have no choice in the matter.

Safety is great, but 10 months for headaches is ridiculous. And nowhere near every concussion is bad like Savards. Most are just headaches. And you can't say otherwise or else people in the NFL wouldn't come back the week after a concussion 9 times out of 10.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:54 PM
vladmyir111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Athletes are probably ok with knowing their knees and crap could be messed up as they get older, or general body aches and pains being a problem, but when you realize you could get dementia and all kinds of horrible cognitive ailments because of repeated concussions before you're even that old, that's probably where people start drawing the line

Marc Savard is only 34 and will never live a normal life because of repeated brain trauma. Players and teams are trying to lesson the risk of someone being Savard'd by making sure they're as healthy as possible before coming back.
lol, most people who work for a living will have this happen to them. People like Savard are extreme examples and if a player or their doctors feel like a concussion was severe they have all the right to stop playing. I'm more talking about a league wide push to have people sitting around for months on end because of some random headaches they may get after working out hard.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:02 PM
ogie

Quote:
lol, most people who work for a living will have this happen to them. People like Savard are extreme examples and if a player or their doctors feel like a concussion was severe they have all the right to stop playing. I'm more talking about a league wide push to have people sitting around for months on end because of some random headaches they may get after working out hard.
I can name a bunch of guys that retried due to concussions, and most of them might still be playing if they would've sat out. Instead they pushed themselves and made things even worse. Richter, Lafontaine, Lindros, Deadmarsh, Primeau, Barnaby, Stevens... and probably a ton more prior to all this science around now-a-days.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Take the player's individual health out of it and think of this as a fan.

Why do you want a player playing for your team who isn't going to be capable of playing well? "Random headaches after working out hard"... they aren't random, they are consistent and they aren't mild headaches, either. And if they're consistent and severe, that means these players are going to be getting these headaches during the game and they're not going to be able to function properly on the ice. Do you really want Sauer making a game-ending mistake in a game because he's not capable of thinking the game properly in a crucial moment? I don't.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:07 PM
vladmyir111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
I can name a bunch of guys that retried due to concussions, and most of them might still be playing if they would've sat out. Instead they pushed themselves and made things even worse. Richter, Lafontaine, Lindros, Deadmarsh, Primeau, Barnaby, Stevens... and probably a ton more prior to all this science around now-a-days.
Would you trade 2 years of those players' prime so they can play a few more years in their mid to late 30s? I bet most of them wouldn't.

And some people are obviously more prone to concussions than others. Lindros was a headcase regardless of how long he would have sat out. I mean look at Crosby, dude sat a year and some bumps gave him "symptoms" again. Crosby is either going to fully recover or be damaged goods like Lindros regardless of how long he sits.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:10 PM
ogie

Quote:
Would you trade 2 years of those players' prime so they can play a few more years in their mid to late 30s? I bet most of them wouldn't.

And some people are obviously more prone to concussions than others. Lindros was a headcase regardless of how long he would have sat out. I mean look at Crosby, dude sat a year and some bumps gave him "symptoms" again. Crosby is either going to fully recover or be damaged goods like Lindros regardless of how long he sits.
Ah screw 'em ...they are athletes run em til the drop dead right?

Closed Thread