HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2011, 03:11 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Take the player's individual health out of it and think of this as a fan.

Why do you want a player playing for your team who isn't going to be capable of playing well? "Random headaches after working out hard"... they aren't random, they are consistent and they aren't mild headaches, either. And if they're consistent and severe, that means these players are going to be getting these headaches during the game and they're not going to be able to function properly on the ice. Do you really want Sauer making a game-ending mistake in a game because he's not capable of thinking the game properly in a crucial moment? I don't.
Sigh, never mind it's politically incorrect now to talk about less safety so I will stop.

Of course some concussions are severe and require lots of down time, but I was just pointing out that they are going overboard with this crap, I'm sure someone can decide if they are well enough to play or not (in most cases) without having the league go around pushing shutdowns of months at a time.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:15 PM
gluvhand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
Sigh, never mind it's politically incorrect now to talk about less safety so I will stop.

Of course some concussions are severe and require lots of down time, but I was just pointing out that they are going overboard with this crap, I'm sure someone can decide if they are well enough to play or not (in most cases) without having the league go around pushing shutdowns of months at a time.
When players make these "decisions" on their own the result usually isn't good. Try taking a good shot to the head and see how easy it is to do the simplest of things. Then try playing hockey. Let us know how it works out for you He-Man.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Levitate

Quote:

The league isn't pushing any shutdowns at the moment, it's the players and teams doing it.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Are you for real? Do you even know what the average life expectancy for an NFL player is? 59 years old. These men are far from fine when they leave the sport. I have absolutely no problem with these guys taking as long as they need to ensure that they are healthy.

Having PCS is not normal. To expect someone to risk further damaging their BRAIN so you can be entertained is pure lunacy.
Is that true?

What's the story behind those numbers? Sounds very low...

Old
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The league isn't pushing any shutdowns at the moment, it's the players and teams doing it.
Is this the case or once a concussion has been reported by doctors are there league mandated procedures that need to be followed?

Old
12-13-2011, 03:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Ugh. Please get better soon, Mike, we need you.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:

You didn't answer my main point, which is why do you want a player not capable of playing his full game on the ice?

Old
12-13-2011, 04:35 PM
vladmyir111

Quote:
You didn't answer my main point, which is why do you want a player not capable of playing his full game on the ice?
I don't, but I guarantee you the majority of them are 100% ready to play a few days after a concussion, they just don't feel good after the games for a few weeks. There's a reason there are different grades of concussions...it's because not all of them are debilitating, hell most aren't.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:39 PM
vladmyir111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Is that true?

Because those numbers are "life expectancy" taken from a very small sample and basically the educated opinion of some experts, not the actual average life span of all NFL players who have ever played.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
I don't, but I guarantee you the majority of them are 100% ready to play a few days after a concussion, they just don't feel good after the games for a few weeks. There's a reason there are different grades of concussions...it's because not all of them are debilitating, hell most aren't.
They're 100% after a few days? Yeah, okay. No point in arguing this anymore because it's pretty obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about regarding this subject.

Old
12-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Is that true?

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...bor_war_o.html

Quote:
Most reputable studies now indicate the average life span of an NFL player is 53 to 59, depending on which position he plays. Thatís roughly two decades shorter than the life expectancy of the average American male.
Now, those numbers have to do with alot more than just having CTE from repeated head trauma, but it is probably the biggest single factor because it leads to depression, dementia, addiction, and other self-destructive behaviors.

Old
12-14-2011, 01:11 PM
nyrleetch

Katie Strang
@KatieStrangESPN
Following

#NYR Rangers defenseman Michael Sauer (concussion) has been placed on injured reserve. Believe it's retroactive to Dec 5

Old
12-14-2011, 01:18 PM
useref15

****!

Old
12-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

I wouldn't flip out over Sauer going on IR. I think they need the room for Erixon's cap hit.

Old
12-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I wouldn't flip out over Sauer going on IR. I think they need the room for Erixon's cap hit.
However, I would flip out considering Sauer's injury history and the absolutely thunderous hit he took last week.

Old
12-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
However, I would flip out considering Sauer's injury history and the absolutely thunderous hit he took last week.
I completely agree.

All I'm saying is that, in order to fit Erixon's $1.75M cap hit, someone had to go on IR or be waived, since we had a little less that $900k in cap space if I'm not mistaken. Sauer makes sense since he is the injured one. Also, the move is retroactive to December 5th, which frees up even more cap space.

Sauer hasn't had a concussion since juniors, and all of his injury problems have been joint-related. I have no idea how bad of a concussion he has, but we shouldn't jump to conclusions based on this move.

Old
12-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

He's out for a few months. This was pretty obvious the second they announced he has a concussion.

Old
12-14-2011, 02:46 PM
YoungD4

How long are you on IR for? Is it like football

Old
12-14-2011, 02:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

IR is a seven day IR. Sauer counts against the cap on IR. It frees up a roster spot.

Old
12-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

You know, as long as we are getting these injuries now, and everyone is back and healthy come playoffs.

I'm pretty sure we'll make the playoffs with some guys out. I just feel like it is more important that we are at full power then than now.

Get well, Sauer.

12-14-2011, 03:28 PM
vladmyir111

Quote:
They're 100% after a few days? Yeah, okay. No point in arguing this anymore because it's pretty obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about regarding this subject.
And reading some sports articles on the internets does not make someone an MD.

No need for the high horse, there are millions of people who have concussions every year and are completely fine in a few days. A lot of them don't even know they got one because they don't have a team of doctors attending them daily.

Old
12-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Sauer place on IR

Old
12-16-2011, 12:35 PM
brfeldman

Does anyone know anything

Old
12-16-2011, 01:27 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Because those numbers are "life expectancy" taken from a very small sample and basically the educated opinion of some experts, not the actual average life span of all NFL players who have ever played.
Actually there is quite a bit of evidence supporting this fact. Ron Mix, an NFL Hall of Famer and a lawyer has done a great deal of work on the reduced life span of NFL players. Ron has also raised a tremendous amount of money to help retired players and their families.

If you don't think football takes a toll, go to any function with former NFL players and just look around at the number of middle age men will all sorts of evident physical ailments. This was first pointed out to me by Chuck Bednarik, a true NFL great who counted himself as one of the lucky ones because he had survived his career well.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:19 PM
alkurtz

I have been a hockey fan for 50 years and I must admit to being deeply upset, concerned, and worried about the epidemic of concussions in the league.

I think about the old days of the Original Six when players didn't wear helmets and goalies didn't wear masks and shake my head as to how it was possible.

Did players just come back a few days after "having their bell rung?" They must have but I refuse to believe that if any were as badly hurt as Staal, Crosby, Savard, etc. etc. they could have returned. And yet I just don't recall that many head injuries.

The reason for all these injuries is obvious: bigger, stronger, faster skaters. In the old days it was like compact cars colliding at 65 mph. Today it is like two super-sized SUVs colliding at 80 mph. It seems that while some concussions are the result of fights or dirty/marginal hits, more are the result of legal hits, accidental collisions or checks against the boards.

Something needs to be done. Our game has a dangerous and destructive problem that must be addressed. I certainly don't have any solutions that have not been thought of before. All my suggestions are financially not practical, destructive to the wonderful speed and flow of the game post-lock out, or would change the game drastically.

1. Increase the size of the rinks. Today's players have simply outgrown the ice surface that was designed for smaller men. We all know this will never happen for monetary reasons but JD last night mentioned a small increase in width like they have in Finland. Something that must be considered.....

2. Slow down the game by allowing clutching and grabbing. Ugh, do we really want to go back to the ugly days of the trap and the Devils? I don't.

3. Going to a permanent 4 against 4 game to increase the amount of space on a regulation rink. I hate this idea as it changes the game drastically. But hockey has done this before: once it was 5 against 5 (plus the goalies) with the extra man designated as a "rover." Maybe it is time to at least think about (and try in the AHL), four against four.

Also: something needs to be done about the helmets (I know a lot of research is being done about this). Maybe more protection should be added to the sides of the helmets near the ears. I wonder if any studies have been done showing the direction of the hit or check that caused concussions? Are most from the front, back, or side? Joe Michelleti half jokingly said last night that maybe they should wear football style helmets. Something to think about (aside: one of the best things about the Original Six was that without helmets you could see the guys faces. It made the connection with the players much more intimate: heck, you could even tell when they got haircuts).

And one more thing? Can we just lay off the guys who have been hurt? This is a serious business here. Players are certainly not dogging it. I'm sure some would return quicker but are prevented from doing so by doctors. That is as it should be....players can be their own worst enemy.

Again, overall....this is a major, major issue that is a threat to this great sport. I know we are all tired of hearing the "c" word. I know most of you hate Sydney Crosby (I get to see the other side because my son-in-law is a Pens fan), but the thought that we could lose this generational talent before he even enters his prime is deeply disturbing.

We have 1/3 of our D-corp out. Other teams are hurting. The whole sport is in trouble. I know the league and the players association are deeply involved in research, study, and discussion. I hope they come up with something quickly.

Closed Thread