HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Price worth 7 million?

View Poll Results: Is Carey Price worth 7 million a year at a 5 year deal?
Yes 66 30.41%
No 151 69.59%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-12-2011, 04:51 PM
StellerEller
Saku :D

vCash: 351
The real question is: will he take a discount at all? Do you think montreal has treated him well enough to think hed take one on his contract? For example, if hes worth 7mil, does he take 5.5?

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Gary320

vCash: 500
If he wants to stay here, I think he will take a long term. But I mean if he wants to test the UFA market.. he's clearly going to go short term for a UFA year.

That said, I think he signs a 5 year deal but under 5 million.. Maybe 25 for 5 years. I dont see how he gets 7.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Totally agree... and he only has to take a look over at Gomez' stall to realize there are a lot of troubles that comes with being a 7 million dollar man... and not performing to it.

He'd be worth the 7 million because he is Montreal's franchise face, and could be for a really long time.
He'd be better suited to getting a long term, valued around 5-6 per. He's gotta realize he'll make even more staying on as Montreal's goalie... in endorsements.
His next 5-6 years, he'll make a kiling there
Unless Price's play elevated him to a level of stardom Crosby or Ovechkin enjoys, he isn't getting $7M in endorsements.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I said yes.

I don't think he's worth 7M but I would give it to him because he's worth that much to this team.

It would suck because the whole league would be laughing at us for overpaying. I don't think he would ask for that much though; he seems to care about the team.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:47 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
How many wingers in the league will give you one goal every two games in the playoffs? Cammy and Gionta have scored 28 of our last 63 goals in the playoffs in 26 games (since getting them actually). They've had 49 points out of our 63 goals, out of 189 possible points. They have scored 5 goals together (goal or assist), so that means they've both participated and are directly responsible of 44 of our last 63 goals in the playoffs. More than 2/3 of our goals have Gionta or Cammalleri's or both their names in the boxscore in the playoffs.

The regular season is NOT the only comparative. And when it comes to the playoffs, Price loses big time in the comparative department. He has won 1 playoff series.

Not to mention he plays on a defensive team, with a coach who has a reputation for defence-first.

Also, you're whole argument is backwards. When Cammy was signed, he had an 80 points season and 39 goals. How many players in the league get that? No matter if a player underperforms after signing a contract, you cannot just simply ignore the initial reason why he got the contract. You cannot also just ignore the difference of signing with the team that drafted you (Price) and signing on an open market like Cammy and Gionta. If it was the case, Plekanec would've asked for Gomer's 7 mil, don't you think? Actually, his (Cammy, or Gio or Gomer, take your pick) underperformance in regular season after signing said contract should be a deterent to signing a goalie like Price to such a cap hit considering all the goalies who have underperformed after signing huge cap hits....
bro , C

Last edited by onemorecup*: 12-12-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typing error
onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:50 PM
zaluty

Would you trade Price for Rinne? That is the 7 million dollar question.

zaluty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:54 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
How many wingers in the league will give you one goal every two games in the playoffs? Cammy and Gionta have scored 28 of our last 63 goals in the playoffs in 26 games (since getting them actually). They've had 49 points out of our 63 goals, out of 189 possible points. They have scored 5 goals together (goal or assist), so that means they've both participated and are directly responsible of 44 of our last 63 goals in the playoffs. More than 2/3 of our goals have Gionta or Cammalleri's or both their names in the boxscore in the playoffs.

The regular season is NOT the only comparative. And when it comes to the playoffs, Price loses big time in the comparative department. He has won 1 playoff series.

Not to mention he plays on a defensive team, with a coach who has a reputation for defence-first.

Also, you're whole argument is backwards. When Cammy was signed, he had an 80 points season and 39 goals. How many players in the league get that? No matter if a player underperforms after signing a contract, you cannot just simply ignore the initial reason why he got the contract. You cannot also just ignore the difference of signing with the team that drafted you (Price) and signing on an open market like Cammy and Gionta. If it was the case, Plekanec would've asked for Gomer's 7 mil, don't you think? Actually, his (Cammy, or Gio or Gomer, take your pick) underperformance in regular season after signing said contract should be a deterent to signing a goalie like Price to such a cap hit considering all the goalies who have underperformed after signing huge cap hits....
bro , Cammy was grossly overpaid at 6 million ,,,,its not the 80 points he got

its wtf has he done since minus some playoff games ..

you know who the 80 point players are in the is league and he isn`t one of them

its having the insight to project what these guys will be in the future

its like the Flyers dumping thier 2 best assets this year and with injuries galore
winning and what is Carter doing ?

he is paid front line money ...and has played like a knob in the regular season

go for it let Price walk , and we draft top 5 bet on it

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:56 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Is the debate put to rest then? Will Lafleurs Guy finally pipe down? Is Carey Price ever going to win anything? Will WhiskeySeven ever be incorrect about the Habs again*?

Find out next time on HFBoards!

*Ok fine, I was wrong about Lapierre staying and having a great year last season. I thought after his great playoffs that JM would have more faith in him. I was wrong. But I've been constantly right about everything else - especially Halak oooh man those were fun times on HFboards.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:08 PM
AraGOHABSGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Unless Price's play elevated him to a level of stardom Crosby or Ovechkin enjoys, he isn't getting $7M in endorsements.
I am sorry but Price IS AT Crosby or Ovechkin stardom. I mean really? Ovechkin can get 9mil$, but Price can't?

That's just plain stupid, Price is like 80% of teh reason we made playoffs last year.

This year, he is, so far, 75% of the reason why we are still in it. 10% being a mix of Desharnais, Cole, pacioretty, Gorges and Yemelin. the 15% remaining is the fact that EST teams are really weak!

AraGOHABSGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Not sure about 7, but I have no problem giving Price a 10 year deal and have a cap hit of 5.5 or something around that

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
That's been the narrative for a while. It was even true for a while, most notably in 2009-2010, where the Habs were arguably the worst club in the NHL at 5-on-5.

I don't think it has been true for over a year, now. But because it's been the ongoing story, well, the story keeps going on. Certainly, I'm having trouble remembering a game Price stole outright this season (whereas the Habs have had several games stolen by opposing goalies). This doesn't mean Price has been bad -- he hasn't -- but the team does not depend on goaltending nearly as much as it used to.
Dude no matter how you slice it we've been bottom third in offense since that season. Again it doesn't matter if it's luck or not... bottom line is that we haven't scored.

That puts a hell of a lot of pressure on your goalie to stop the puck. Price has been excellent for us and I'm sorry but without him we'd be in big trouble. Heck, even with him we're sitting around 11th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
How old was Lundqvist when he signed his deal? See what I'm getting at? Carey is too young to command such money. Maybe the next contract.
I actually think locking him up for 5 years at 35 is a good idea. You don't want to mess with him becoming a UFA and risk losing him. Besides the cap seems to be continually rising so why not lock him up during his best years. I think he'd be good value for that money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Is the debate put to rest then? Will Lafleurs Guy finally pipe down? Is Carey Price ever going to win anything? Will WhiskeySeven ever be incorrect about the Habs again*?

Find out next time on HFBoards!

*Ok fine, I was wrong about Lapierre staying and having a great year last season. I thought after his great playoffs that JM would have more faith in him. I was wrong. But I've been constantly right about everything else - especially Halak oooh man those were fun times on HFboards.
Well, you were right about one thing, I thought a lot more people would agree with me. Clearly I was mistaken on that one.

As for Price being worth the cash, I'm sticking to my guns on this. I'm amazed at some of the comments here though. Some people have no idea how good a goalie we have or how valuable he is to us.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraGOHABSGO View Post
I am sorry but Price IS AT Crosby or Ovechkin stardom. I mean really? Ovechkin can get 9mil$, but Price can't?

That's just plain stupid, Price is like 80% of teh reason we made playoffs last year.

This year, he is, so far, 75% of the reason why we are still in it. 10% being a mix of Desharnais, Cole, pacioretty, Gorges and Yemelin. the 15% remaining is the fact that EST teams are really weak!
lolwat. Price isn't anywhere close to Crosby. He's an excellent goaltender, but there are a few of these around the league. There's no one even close to Sid.

Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraGOHABSGO View Post

lolwut? Price is not a top 5 in the league goalie and you compare him to Crosby who is by far the best player?

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:30 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Well, you were right about one thing, I thought a lot more people would agree with me. Clearly I was mistaken on that one.

As for Price being worth the cash, I'm sticking to my guns on this. I'm amazed at some of the comments here though. Some people have no idea how good a goalie we have or how valuable he is to us.
Of course you're going to be sticking to your guns. You made the thread, put in your own cherry picked facts and argued your point and was still widely disagreed with - why wouldn't you?

It has nothing to do with Price, it has to do with how the sport is played. If you can't understand that, or refuse to, you'll never understand some of the moves managers and coaches make. Which kinda explains your "tank at all costs" motivation but at least that has some merit.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Slick Eller

I'd be PISSED if we give 7 millions to Price. It would such a big error. He is good, but not 7 millions good, not when there is plenty of good goalie in the game todays.

Lundqvist is getting 6,7 millions with 3 or 4 Vezina nominations.

If Price and his agent aren't greedy ******, 5,5-6 millions for 5/6/7 max years is reasonable.

Slick Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Moen View Post
lolwut? Price is not a top 5 in the league goalie and you compare him to Crosby who is by far the best player?
Yes, if there's any Hab that could be Hart-worthy it is Price. If Crosby and Ovechkin are the primary poster boys of the league, and Kane a notch below them, then Price has, at best, a similar level of stardom to Kane...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Moen View Post
Going forward Carey Price is definitely a top 5 goalie in the NHL

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I honestly don't think he's done enough to warrant that kind of money.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Of course you're going to be sticking to your guns. You made the thread, put in your own cherry picked facts and argued your point and was still widely disagreed with - why wouldn't you?

It has nothing to do with Price, it has to do with how the sport is played. If you can't understand that, or refuse to, you'll never understand some of the moves managers and coaches make. Which kinda explains your "tank at all costs" motivation but at least that has some merit.
I don't see how posting Price's numbers vs. the top goalies in the game at equivalent stages in their development is cherrypicking. Those are the facts that he will bring to the table when he negotiates.

If he signs for 5 a year as many on here are suggesting he will, I will click my heels and be thrilled about it.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think he is worth it to the Habs...but I don't think he will get that type of $$$ as a RFA. Either 2 years at 11 mil or 5 or 6 years at around 6.25-6.5/year. Depending on how long his camp want to go.
He only has one RFA year left though. We shouldn't be messing around with a one year deal here. We need to be thinking long term with Price and think of this as a UFA contract.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
He only has one RFA year left though. We shouldn't be messing around with a one year deal here. We need to be thinking long term with Price and think of this as a UFA contract.
I doubt they do a 1 year deal. As I said earlier, I expect either a 2 year deal(at around 5-5.5 mil) or 5-6 years at more money(6+). It will depend if Price's camp stick to 7 mil or are willing to do a 5-6 year deal at 6-6.25/year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Dafe

It's up to Price really, gotta pay the man what he wants. If he says 7 or he walks, the team doesn't really have a choice.

Dafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:21 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
We're paying Gomez 7 million dollars.

Yes.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:51 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

I would vote "no" because he's actually worth more than 7, but I guess I'll say yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendresse View Post
lolwat. Price isn't anywhere close to Crosby. He's an excellent goaltender, but there are a few of these around the league. There's no one even close to Sid.
They're both gamebreakers.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:17 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
His UFA years are worth something approaching 7 million, not his next 2 RFA years. If we sign him long term we can hopefully deflate the overall value with the next 2 years being a bit cheaper.

Most players sign under market deals when they have a couple RFA years left, get a little more now, give up a bit down the road. He's not a pending UFA like Rinne.

I hope for something between 5-8 years for between 5.5-6 million.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote