HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Domination - By the Numbers

Old
12-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Canucks Domination - By the Numbers

Brad Zeimer of the Vancouver Sun looks at the Canucks dominating performances over the past 10 games -with 9 wins marred only by the 6-5 pond hockey loss to the Predators. And that should have been a win.
They are the hottest team in hockey not named the Minnesota Wild.

Actually, over the last 10 games no one in the National Hockey League has been better than the Vancouver Canucks.
Even more amazing - Tony Gallagher has become a cheerleader.

The Canucks are doing it in all zones and in all situations - 5 on 5, 4 on 4, special teams, comebacks, shootouts, taking leads and closing it out, special teams, team defence, etc. As Alain Vigneault recently said when asked he cannot think of an area where the Canucks are not playing well.

And with a relatively soft road schedule (next up the Columbus Blue Jackets and Carolina Hurricanes and then the Maple Leafs) that ends on December 19 when the Canucks return home to play the Wild, it could likely continue.

The key is not to look ahead but as the cliche goes "take it one game at a time". Chris Higgins said the team knows the danger of looking ahead:
"It's a danger, for sure," he said. "But I think everyone in this locker-room realizes how valuable points are and how much pride teams play with. You don't take anything for granted, you don't take a team for granted no matter where they are in the standings."
The Wild and Canucks battling it out as the two hottest teams in the NHL... who wudda thunk it??? And then the Canucks get the Red Wings coming to Rogers Arena on the 21st. Those two will be measuring stick games. Two home wins would be a real message to the rest of the NHL that the Canucks of last season are back. With a vengeance.

Some recent numbers of note:
  • Over the last 10 games, the Canucks have outscored the opposition 41-15.
  • Take out the Preds loss and in the 9 wins that is winning by an by an aggregate score of 36-9.
  • The top-ranked power play is scoring at a 26.4% clip - nearly 5 full percentage points ahead of any other team.
  • In the last nine wins, the Canucks have not allowed a power-play goal in 36 opposition attempts - the Preds torched the PK in the one loss for three goals.
  • The Canucks have now scored four or more goals in each of their last six games. The last time that happened??? January 2002.
  • And team defence and goaltending? Only twice in the last 10 games has Vancouver's opponent scored more than two goals.

Kevin Bieksa on the latest run:
"But we are playing good hockey right now. . .the power play is hot and Lou (Roberto Luongo) is finding his stride. Guys are chipping in all over the place and we're a tough team to beat when we are doing that."

"It's collective effort," Bieska said. "We have a lot of guys chipping in right now, we have a lot of defenemen contributing, Kes's (Ryan Kesler) line is going.

"We're a deep team and that's where we beat teams is with our depth."
Henrik Sedin agrees:
"We have got everyone contributing and that's what makes this fun," he said. "It was the same last year. We keep our shifts short, that's when you see guys like Jannik (Hansen) and those guys scoring on different lines.

"If it's about the top guys playing a minute 10 (seconds) every shift then maybe you are only going to see us score and that's where we are going to lose games. We are keeping things short, we have everyone feeling good about themselves, that's a lot of fun."
Sami Salo on what has changed from the beginning of the season:
"Obviously we are cutting down our scoring chances," said defenceman Sami Salo. "At the beginning of the season we turned the puck over quite often either at our blue line or their blue line. We are making the smart decisions with the puck on a consistent basis and I think that has been the biggest difference.

"And our special teams have been pretty good and that is always key to creating some wins."
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...345/story.html

As Tony Gallagher writes (in his Mister Sunshine disguise ) this is great time to be a Canucks fan. Enjoy it while it lasts. Having watched the Canucks since they entered the NHL, I have to agree with The Gollum.

BTW who stole my favourite sour, bitter, acerbic and cynical hockey columnist and replaced him with this cheerleader? Next thing you know Ron MacLean will become an Alex Burrows fan.
There is a natural cynicism born of watching the Vancouver Canucks for their legion of fans over the 42 years the franchise has been going and there is a tendency not to recognize what's here before our eyes.
But the real Vancouver fan should recognize that the time to enjoy a team this good is now. This is pretty much as good as it gets unless you somehow get to an Oilers-Islanders-Habs like dynasty somehow. Remember there have been too many years when it's been terrible and those years will one day return. Now is the time to enjoy, celebrate and relish this team. Believe me, over the years there have been some bad ones.
This team has superstars, great balance of offence and defence, great leadership, management and ownership, the latter two working or at least appearing to work in harmony when that's not always been the case. The Aquilini family and Mike Gillis seem to enjoy each others support and company. It's not like the days when ownership was from out of town as in the days of Tom Scallen and later with John McCaw. These aren't the days when Pat Quinn wasn't hired by the McCaw people so you were never sure if they were on the same page. Nor is this a time when Brian Burke was at odds with the McCaw group over a contract extension. This act seems to be together and it shows.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ga...#ixzz1gGXDo01i

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Kagee*

Woot, woot!

Waaaay better than Oct/Nov!!!! what a horrendous fall we should all forget, I blame Luongo. lol jk.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Yep, funny how a few good games can change everyone's outlook towards the team.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
It all depends on your outlook.

This sort of high level play just cannot continue... or

This is just a sign of things to come.

“Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty.
I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be.”
~ George Carlin (RIP)

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:45 PM
VanEric

Alex Ovechkin would never understand what Henrik Sedin said.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:51 PM
GTHP95

Quote:
This city has been spoiled with excellent hockey for the last 2 years so I don't blame us for holding our team to a high standard. Now that the Canucks are playing at a level where everyone expects them to be . There isn't much left to do but praise them. Go figure.

GTHP95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:39 PM
NuxFan09

It really is amazing when you sit back and look at the numbers and realize just how good this team is. Not only the numbers, but just watching them play on the ice. They really are like the Detroit Red Wings when the Wings were at their best; great offense, great defense, great goaltending, great special teams. There weren't a whole lot of ways you could beat the Wings, especially the few years after the lockout, and there aren't many ways you beat the current Canucks.

It makes me feel stupid, too, when I think about how much I rag on them. It means, short of lifting the Cup, the team has raised the bar so high that our expectations as fans have become borderline unreasonable. Hopefully I can force myself to get into a mindset where I can enjoy the games the Canucks play in which they're at their peak and not worry so much when they're having a less than stellar game. At the end of the day, I can't see the Canucks not getting a home ice position for the playoffs and that's really all that matters at this point when it comes to the regular season. I guess we could hope that Edler someday wins a Norris or Luongo or Schneider win a Norris, but beyond that the team has won everything in the regular season.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:41 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
It really is amazing when you sit back and look at the numbers and realize just how good this team is. Not only the numbers, but just watching them play on the ice. They really are like the Detroit Red Wings when the Wings were at their best; great offense, great defense, great goaltending, great special teams. There weren't a whole lot of ways you could beat the Wings, especially the few years after the lockout, and there aren't many ways you beat the current Canucks.

It makes me feel stupid, too, when I think about how much I rag on them. It means, short of lifting the Cup, the team has raised the bar so high that our expectations as fans have become borderline unreasonable. Hopefully I can force myself to get into a mindset where I can enjoy the games the Canucks play in which they're at their peak and not worry so much when they're having a less than stellar game. At the end of the day, I can't see the Canucks not getting a home ice position for the playoffs and that's really all that matters at this point when it comes to the regular season. I guess we could hope that Edler someday wins a Norris or Luongo or Schneider win a Norris, but beyond that the team has won everything in the regular season.
EDIT: Luongo or Schneider win a Vezina.

Old
12-11-2011, 06:43 PM
arsmaster

But we suck at fighting.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHP95 View Post
This city has been spoiled with excellent hockey for the last 2 years so I don't blame us for holding our team to a high standard. Now that the Canucks are playing at a level where everyone expects them to be . There isn't much left to do but praise them. Go figure.
Admittedly, I've never liked the media much. You're probably right, but still I don't like their use of hyberbole just to make a story that sells.

Old
12-11-2011, 07:00 PM
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy

It's a great time to be a hockey fan right now, even for the bandwagoners.
The lopsided scores shows how good the team is playing, and the "Trade Luongo" faction grows a little quieter.

However, I think they can still play better, because there are times during the recent streak when the team sleep through the first two periods, save for the goalies who kept the games close, and only show up in the third.

If they show up for 60 minutes every single game, who knows how good the team would be.
Of course, if my only complaint is that they are not playing their best every game, you can see how good the team is.
It is truly a great feeling to support a winning team.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Wish the search function was working so I could quote my post from October saying I wouldn't be worried until December.

Why you doubt me HF?

12-11-2011, 07:09 PM
bbud

will someone email that to Ron Mclean and Mike Milbury for us

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
But we suck at fighting.
That emoticon looks like you are picking your nose.

Weise our fierce big time protector says otherwise, time to pick my nose.

Old
12-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Wish the search function was working so I could quote my post from October saying I wouldn't be worried until December.

Why you doubt me HF?

Can't say we weren't beating the same drum. October/November is old hat for me now. I can't believe people still freak out when we come off as slowly as we did.

Although, I believe we are still yet to hit our stride.

Old
12-11-2011, 07:27 PM
bbud

Quote:

Can't say we weren't beating the same drum. October/November is old hat for me now. I can't believe people still freak out when we come off as slowly as we did.

healthy in full stride in June would be nice

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Quote:

People have short memories.

Same thing with Bieksa. Like last year, he started this season rough again but did anyone learn?

Nooooooooooooooooo.

Now he's rounding into form again and the pitchforks and torches have mostly disappeared.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Kagee*

Quote:

Why you doubt me HF?
Google actually works better than the HF search function lol.

I was hoping we'd be .500 till Kesler came back, he came back, and we still were suckage, so that was worrisome, but Luongo was horrendous longer than usual, maybe to due to old age?(picknoseemoticon)

Nice time for the team to start coming together!, of course the Sedins still rock, man we'd be close to if not last place if we didn't have them on this team.

Time for a Danny jersey.

Old
12-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
People have short memories.

Same thing with Bieksa. Like last year, he started this season rough again but did anyone learn?

Nooooooooooooooooo.

Now he's rounding into form again and the pitchforks and torches have mostly disappeared.
Yeah, true enough.

Although, for the record I had a huge list of complaints towards Bieksa same time last year. Something clicked for him after that Tampa Bay game I think and since then, even at his worst I've found him pretty passable.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:11 PM
DL44

vCash: 139
Canucks by the numbers...

Wait until you see what the numbers look like after tonight's game, #30 on the season..

Here's from the earlier 10 gm sets...

10 gms: 4-5-1, 9 pts. 3rd in the div, 10th in the W, 20th overall.
20 gms: 10-9-1, 21pts. 3rd in the div, 11th in the W, 21st overall.

Goals/gm
10 gms: 2.40, 19th
20 gms: 2.90, 9th ()

GA/gm
10 gms: 2.80, 22nd )
20 gms: 2.80, 18th

PP%
10 gms: 19.2, 10th
20 gms: 26.7 1st

PPG
10 gms: 9, 4th
20 gms: 24, 1st

PK%
10 gms: 86.0, 12th
20 gms: 85.4, 10th

PPGA
10 gms: 6, 13th
20 gms: 12, 10th

5-on-5 Ratio
10 gms: 0.75 27th
20 gms: 0.80, 24th

Plus/Minus
10 gms: -7, 29th
20 gms: -10, 25th

Faceoffs
10 gms: 52.2, 6th
20 gms: 52.3, 4th

SoG
10 gms: 33.3, 6th
20 gms: 32.8, 6th

SoGA
10 gms: 26.8, 5th
20 gms: 28.6, 10th

Hits
10 gms: 227, 6th
20 gms: 430, 16th

Blocked Shots
10 gms: 106, 26th
20 gms: 208, 30th

Giveaways
10 gms: 71, 18th
20 gms: 130, 6th,

Takeaways
10 gms: 76, 6th
20 gms: 128, 22th

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:12 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
We're playing well now, but keep in mind the level of competition we're playing.

12-13-2011, 04:09 PM
ugghhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
We're playing well now, but keep in mind the level of competition we're playing.
Yeah, this was always going to be an easy stretch of 13 games. Atleast 9 wins would be expected, I think.

The biggest thing I am finding in the comments is that the team seems to have a more positive attitude this year, where the game is fun, rather than last year where everything was a process.

Booth fitting in so well (both on and off the ice) is also great to see -- I think the locker room is really strong in general.

ugghhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:21 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugghhh View Post
Yeah, this was always going to be an easy stretch of 13 games. Atleast 9 wins would be expected, I think.

The biggest thing I am finding in the comments is that the team seems to have a more positive attitude this year, where the game is fun, rather than last year where everything was a process.

Booth fitting in so well (both on and off the ice) is also great to see -- I think the locker room is really strong in general.
Agreed with this. I was talking with my friend one day and he pointed out that one of the biggest flaws - if not THE biggest - of the Canucks is that they don't seem to be having any fun. He went on to say they look way too damn serious and that might be the cause of their meltdowns, both in the regular season and especially the playoffs, because when things aren't going their way in a particular game the frustration that the "process" isn't going as it should be sets in.

Focus is good, but you have to be able to have fun and enjoy what you're doing. Then maybe the team won't completely implode when they find themselves in tough situations (ie. when they can't score on the goalie, when they're being jostled around by a "tougher" team etc.).

Old
12-13-2011, 04:54 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Even more amazing - Tony Gallagher has become a cheerleader.
I can just see Gallagher trying to be convincing in his new role.. standing in a bathroom somewhere bearing his teeth and wincing at the mirror to form an expression that he thinks resembles a human smile..

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote