HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Hockey in Britain

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2011, 10:27 AM
  #351
Dustin Peener
Popular demand
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 56,006
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
I mean kids like Sam Jones and Scott Robinson. Were they top players over in England before coming over to OHA or are they just there because they could?
I have no idea who they are

Dustin Peener is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 10:56 AM
  #352
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
I mean kids like Sam Jones and Scott Robinson. Were they top players over in England before coming over to OHA or are they just there because they could?
How old are these kids?
One of the criteria of playing Canadian Jr is where they played Bantam (U-15). Is this a way of getting around the import rules?
Mind you landed immigrant status may also be needed.


Last edited by Alpine: 12-13-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Alpine is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:35 AM
  #353
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=93356

http://www.hockeyclubhouse.com/ohabantam2/stats.phps

3 Minute Minor is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 12:18 PM
  #354
Dustin Peener
Popular demand
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 56,006
vCash: 50
Looks like they're from up north so I won't know them, and I only really know the older players anyway

Dustin Peener is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 02:32 PM
  #355
Dustin Peener
Popular demand
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 56,006
vCash: 50
A lovely example tonight of why talent isn't being developed; EIHL teams signing teenage goalies to do nothing but sit on the bench.

Coventry playing Fife (bottom of the league) tonight, Coventry's import goalie Peter Hirsch is unable to play due to his wife going into labour. The backup Brandon Stones (18) doesn't get to play, instead Tom Murdy is called up from the EPIHL to play and Stones stays on the bench. Sure its good for Murdy to get some games at a higher level and he's only 20 himself, but he gets to play 54 EPIHL games too, while Stones gets nothing. It's such a waste tbh.

Dustin Peener is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 02:49 PM
  #356
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
A lovely example tonight of why talent isn't being developed; EIHL teams signing teenage goalies to do nothing but sit on the bench.

Coventry playing Fife (bottom of the league) tonight, Coventry's import goalie Peter Hirsch is unable to play due to his wife going into labour. The backup Brandon Stones (18) doesn't get to play, instead Tom Murdy is called up from the EPIHL to play and Stones stays on the bench. Sure its good for Murdy to get some games at a higher level and he's only 20 himself, but he gets to play 54 EPIHL games too, while Stones gets nothing. It's such a waste tbh.
That just comes down to horrible management

3 Minute Minor is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 02:56 PM
  #357
Dustin Peener
Popular demand
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 56,006
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
That just comes down to horrible management
They will always be selfish and do what's in their best interest, in this case loaning a proven goalie rather than giving a kid a chance against the worst team in the league

Dustin Peener is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 03:40 PM
  #358
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
How old are these kids?
One of the criteria of playing Canadian Jr is where they played Bantam (U-15). Is this a way of getting around the import rules?
Mind you landed immigrant status may also be needed.
No.. British kids arent good enough to get into the CHL. One of their best recent prospects, Robert Farmer got into camp for the Ottawa 67s and played 1 game but was cut for a Czech defenseman instead. I think he was good enough but the competition for an import slot is way too high and British kids mature later than others because of the limited ice time they get.

Players are going to NA because it improves their hockey, its not necessarily because they're outstandingly good but they also need money to do it. The better quality academic/athletic training with the extra ice time improves their games. There was a defenseman who did go to Okanagan who is pretty good but I forget his name - quite a few have gone there. Most of our top players spent a year or two in NA.

I think they should be looking towards establishing links with Sweden and Germany though but its not in the national psyche to do so.

Gwyddbwyll is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 03:52 PM
  #359
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
No.. British kids arent good enough to get into the CHL. One of their best recent prospects, Robert Farmer got into camp for the Ottawa 67s and played 1 game but was cut for a Czech defenseman instead. I think he was good enough but the competition for an import slot is way too high and British kids mature later than others because of the limited ice time they get.

Players are going to NA because it improves their hockey, its not necessarily because they're outstandingly good but they also need money to do it. The better quality academic/athletic training with the extra ice time improves their games. There was a defenseman who did go to Okanagan who is pretty good but I forget his name - quite a few have gone there. Most of our top players spent a year or two in NA.

I think they should be looking towards establishing links with Sweden and Germany though but its not in the national psyche to do so.
Joseph Lewis is the top player on the U20 team right now and he captains a team in Germany. I agree, staying in other parts of europe is probably a better option then coming to NA, until the system in GB gets cleaned up anyway.

3 Minute Minor is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 03:54 PM
  #360
Dustin Peener
Popular demand
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 56,006
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
No.. British kids arent good enough to get into the CHL. One of their best recent prospects, Robert Farmer got into camp for the Ottawa 67s and played 1 game but was cut for a Czech defenseman instead. I think he was good enough but the competition for an import slot is way too high and British kids mature later than others because of the limited ice time they get.

Players are going to NA because it improves their hockey, its not necessarily because they're outstandingly good but they also need money to do it. The better quality academic/athletic training with the extra ice time improves their games. There was a defenseman who did go to Okanagan who is pretty good but I forget his name - quite a few have gone there. Most of our top players spent a year or two in NA.

I think they should be looking towards establishing links with Sweden and Germany though but its not in the national psyche to do so.
Yes I think more players should follow in Joey Lewis' footsteps and go over to Germany. We do have a link with a team in the German U20 league (not the DNL) because the head coach has an account on TheHockeyForum and he regularly posts on there and tries to get British imports every season

Dustin Peener is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 04:00 PM
  #361
Dustin Peener
Popular demand
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 56,006
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
Joseph Lewis is the top player on the U20 team right now and he captains a team in Germany. I agree, staying in other parts of europe is probably a better option then coming to NA, until the system in GB gets cleaned up anyway.
The only problem is language. We have an ignorant culture in Britain where we think everyone else speaks our language because when we go on holiday all the locals speak English, therefore we shouldn't have to learn any languages. French/Spanish/Italian/German gets taught in school but isn't taken seriously. At my school we did French and I chose to continue with it until I was 16 and got a decent grade, but I'm still useless at it. Though Sweden is a decent option since they all get taught English at school and speak it very well through my experiences

Dustin Peener is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 04:06 PM
  #362
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,981
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
^^
My only input on the subject is.............
Sometimes in our push to develop the elite athlete in almost any sport is that we forget that we are talking about kids.
We squeeze the system like a pimple into ever decreasing numbers to give the elites the the top competition at the cost that kids don't have any fun.
In most G-20 countries sports participation by kids is decreasing or stagnating.
When was the last time you just saw kids playing at your local park, rink, pond, court or field playing a game organized by themselves, policed by themselves just for the sake of having fun?
These are the games where kids learn by themselves and develop skills.
Yes coaching and structure is important but are you losing the part where sports should be fun?
End of rant on youth sports.
Unfortunately, in sports you have to play earlier and train harder earlier to be able compete at the elite level one day.

I'd still disagree to an extent, football recreationally is still ridiculously popular. Tennis i know has seen large increases in participation, as has cycling and triathlon. Can't speak for the rest of the world, but i think sport is relatively health here (although youth development in football is a mess).

But for hockey, what else can we do? It's impossible to play recreationally in this country. It has to be organised (which ironically it isn't!).

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 04:10 PM
  #363
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,981
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
I'm not saying everything is on the coaching but no way you can tell me the coaching can't be improved

Here are a few interesting stats I found:
Great Britain
Total Players: 4,901
Junior Players: 3,153
Indoor Rinks: 46

Belarus
Total Players: 4,374
Junior Players: 3,430
Indoor Rinks: 28

Norway
Total Players:6,177
Junior Players: 3,709
Indoor Rinks: 41

Player to rink ratio can't be the only explanation lol

Sounds like EIHA needs to be convinced that they should change their system or sink some more money into the problems they currently have.
Well yes, but Belarus for instance has a hockey culture. It's possible some of the better athletes get into the sport, and as we speak, large sums of capital are being pumped in by the government. If we are to see another elite nation (or nation on par with what Slovakia were 5-6 years ago) in the next 10-15 years, if it isn't Switzerland, it will be Belarus.

Norway also has probably a bigger culture for the sport, although of course it has a bad reputation within Norway for some reason. But we must not forget the links with Sweden, which has helped the country develop enormously recently. Without Sweden (and the same goes for Denmark), they'd be alot worse off.

Infrastructure is imperative as is money, but you need the culture to be there too. Norway and Belarus both have links the sport far more than we do. We use rinks for skating, no one goes to the rink to play ice hockey. The rink per persons in those nations is also better than we have.


Last edited by J17 Vs Proclamation: 12-13-2011 at 04:19 PM.
J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 04:18 PM
  #364
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,981
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
I think they should be looking towards establishing links with Sweden and Germany though but its not in the national psyche to do so.
It makes much more sense for young players to go to NA than Sweden/Germany. Unlike Norway or Denmark who have cultural ties, similar languages, club ties and similar infrastructure, Britain is obviously much much closer to North American culturally. You could say Britain is about as "normally" European as Russia is ; as in it, culturally, we are not that close.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
  #365
Dustin Peener
Popular demand
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 56,006
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
It has to be organised (which ironically it isn't!).
I think you're being a little harsh, yes the organisation isn't great and they could do a much better job, but everyone involved is a volunteer. The amount of time and effort they put into it is greatly under-appreciated.

Dustin Peener is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 04:32 PM
  #366
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
I don't think it would cost too much money to toss a number of these around:


Have somebody at the facility with the proper first aid qualifications, supply sticks, balls, goalie gear. Maintain the facility and the equipment and you can easily grow the sport right there. This is a pretty easy way to generate interest in the sport. I know California has NHL teams but if they can develop hockey players, no reason why it can't be done in GB . From what I've gathered though, it sounds like the problem is that nobody is there to generate interest. There is nobody dedicating serious time to growing the game of hockey in the country and sadly that includes the EIHA... I think there are a lot of people that believe hockey could be a popular sport in GB but nobody wants to put in the work.

3 Minute Minor is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 04:44 PM
  #367
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,981
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
I don't think it would cost too much money to toss a number of these around:


Have somebody at the facility with the proper first aid qualifications, supply sticks, balls, goalie gear. Maintain the facility and the equipment and you can easily grow the sport right there. This is a pretty easy way to generate interest in the sport. I know California has NHL teams but if they can develop hockey players, no reason why it can't be done in GB . From what I've gathered though, it sounds like the problem is that nobody is there to generate interest. There is nobody dedicating serious time to growing the game of hockey in the country and sadly that includes the EIHA... I think there are a lot of people that believe hockey could be a popular sport in GB but nobody wants to put in the work.
Comparing California and Great Britain is like comparing Sienna Miller and Joe Brand. One, i'd be arrested for attempting to break into her "house", whilst the other ... well she'll still be mordibly obese whining about a lack of a husband. California has 3 NHL teams, had Gretzky play there for awhile, 6x the amount of registered players as all of GB and has constant access to the NHL.

I don't think building those courts would really help. The fundamental issue is that the sport isn't popular. It's a distance behind American football and Basketball (both of which are seeing solid growth and improvement in). Firstly we need more NHL coverage. As you said, we need to grow the game. How we do that, i don't really know. The sports market is very heavily filled. For sure the infrastructe for those who are already is poor and needs major changes, but how to actually get more people involved in it is the really tough part.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 04:45 PM
  #368
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,981
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I think you're being a little harsh, yes the organisation isn't great and they could do a much better job, but everyone involved is a volunteer. The amount of time and effort they put into it is greatly under-appreciated.
I was more belittling the umbrella organisations and those in charge rather than the people who volunteer. It's the system that is at fault, not the majority of those who reside under it.

I will stipulate that have never played ice hockey, and have no direct link to the sport such as yourself. I grew up in an area with no link to it, my University also had no link to it and considering how terrible i was at Rugby, thankgod! In the next few years i may start to try and get involved at a recreational level if that is possible. So in no way is my view a direct one, although it is pretty easy to make an overall assessment of the hockey culture. Im basically a complete fluke ; no one i know has any idea about ice hockey.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 04:46 PM
  #369
Dustin Peener
Popular demand
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 56,006
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
I don't think it would cost too much money to toss a number of these around:


Have somebody at the facility with the proper first aid qualifications, supply sticks, balls, goalie gear. Maintain the facility and the equipment and you can easily grow the sport right there. This is a pretty easy way to generate interest in the sport. I know California has NHL teams but if they can develop hockey players, no reason why it can't be done in GB . From what I've gathered though, it sounds like the problem is that nobody is there to generate interest. There is nobody dedicating serious time to growing the game of hockey in the country and sadly that includes the EIHA... I think there are a lot of people that believe hockey could be a popular sport in GB but nobody wants to put in the work.
Unfortunately the local authorities would rather waste resources digging up the roads and take their time doing it, than building stuff like this. They love fixing what isn't broken, especially roads.

Me and my buddies used to actually play street hockey before we all got jobs. There's a school right next to my house so we used to play on the playground which was all flat concrete. GB is actually pretty good at inline hockey, our national team will be playing in the top division this year. Obviously inline hockey is more accessible since you just need an indoor sports hall to play it, and there's plenty of those around

Dustin Peener is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 04:59 PM
  #370
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Comparing California and Great Britain is like comparing Sienna Miller and Joe Brand. One, i'd be arrested for attempting to break into her "house", whilst the other ... well she'll still be mordibly obese whining about a lack of a husband. California has 3 NHL teams, had Gretzky play there for awhile, 6x the amount of registered players as all of GB and has constant access to the NHL.

I don't think building those courts would really help. The fundamental issue is that the sport isn't popular. It's a distance behind American football and Basketball (both of which are seeing solid growth and improvement in). Firstly we need more NHL coverage. As you said, we need to grow the game. How we do that, i don't really know. The sports market is very heavily filled. For sure the infrastructe for those who are already is poor and needs major changes, but how to actually get more people involved in it is the really tough part.
The comparison wasn't meant like that at all. Where do you think Californian hockey players spent time? Most Californians learned how to play the game on roller blades in a rink like that. It's a way to introduce the sport and generate interest. I don't know how that couldn't help lol It's kind of asking a lot from government to build a bunch of hockey rinks without demand but these facilities (picture) are relatively cheap in comparison and I think it could be realistic. It's the most basic introduction to playing the sport.

NHL Coverage probably won't do much when the games are on from 12-4AM in GB unless I'm off with my timezones.

3 Minute Minor is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 04:59 PM
  #371
Dustin Peener
Popular demand
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 56,006
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I was more belittling the umbrella organisations and those in charge rather than the people who volunteer. It's the system that is at fault, not the majority of those who reside under it.

I will stipulate that have never played ice hockey, and have no direct link to the sport such as yourself. I grew up in an area with no link to it, my University also had no link to it and considering how terrible i was at Rugby, thankgod! In the next few years i may start to try and get involved at a recreational level if that is possible. So in no way is my view a direct one, although it is pretty easy to make an overall assessment of the hockey culture. Im basically a complete fluke ; no one i know has any idea about ice hockey.
I think it's unfair for you to make those comments since you don't have any connections to it, even I don't know half of the stuff that goes on behind the closed doors at the EIHA. But I do know even the people in charge are volunteers and they may be useless but they give up their own time to do it, there aren't any better people for the job since nobody else wants to put the effort in

Your location says you're from Reading, get your ass down to Bracknell and support them! Teams need all the fans they can get to grow the sport.

Dustin Peener is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 05:08 PM
  #372
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,981
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I think it's unfair for you to make those comments since you don't have any connections to it, even I don't know half of the stuff that goes on behind the closed doors at the EIHA. But I do know even the people in charge are volunteers and they may be useless but they give up their own time to do it, there aren't any better people for the job since nobody else wants to put the effort in

Your location says you're from Reading, get your ass down to Bracknell and support them! Teams need all the fans they can get to grow the sport.
Perhaps you mis understood. Obviously many people do their best and put alot of time and effort into doing great things. But those who actually run things clearly aren't doing a great job. There has to be accountability there. It's all well and good saying the people who manage UK ice hockey don't get paid much, but that doesn't change results and the current stagnation incomparison to many other international competitors.

Ahaha, i think in a few years i may start going to some games. However, the processes of learning to drive, finding a job and moving out take more importance. Until then i have NHL gamecenter! Plus, who wants to go to Bracknell

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 05:17 PM
  #373
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,981
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
The comparison wasn't meant like that at all. Where do you think Californian hockey players spent time? Most Californians learned how to play the game on roller blades in a rink like that. It's a way to introduce the sport and generate interest. I don't know how that couldn't help lol It's kind of asking a lot from government to build a bunch of hockey rinks without demand but these facilities (picture) are relatively cheap in comparison and I think it could be realistic. It's the most basic introduction to playing the sport.

NHL Coverage probably won't do much when the games are on from 12-4AM in GB unless I'm off with my timezones.
I enjoy being sarcastic, i knew you wern't being serious.

It will certainly help to an extent, but you need to then make the transition to ice hockey. Field hockey is midly popular here (not that i know anybody who likes it, it's an awful sport) too. I guess it is a start, although i wouldn't hold your breath waiting for those rinks you posted to be built. Investment for sports is highly competitive. Interestingly, i read an article on the BBC recently about how recent investment in short-track skating has led to much greater success in the sport. Apparently we now have a few medal hopefuls for the Olympics/worlds in that discipline. Unfortunately that doesn't help ice hockey and ice hockey takes a much greater sum of capital to develop.

I think having the NHL on air does help. Not massively, but it does attract some fans. I got into the sport when i was about 14/15 and the odd game i could catch or use the old VCR to record was brilliant for me. Obviously now technology has moved forward a little and i have my own finances, but it still wouldn't hurt.

The most interesting comparison is the NFL. It's not massive, but there is a definitely a group of diehards being formed over here. It's on TV regularly here, the superbowl is on British prime time terrestial TV, and their is one regular season a game year. What the future holds for the NFL over here im not sure, but it's interesting to see how the sport has managed to gain a solid foundation. Hockey certainly will have more registered participation, but in total popularity amongst young people, i imagine it's far behind the NFL.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 05:21 PM
  #374
Dustin Peener
Popular demand
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 56,006
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Perhaps you mis understood. Obviously many people do their best and put alot of time and effort into doing great things. But those who actually run things clearly aren't doing a great job. There has to be accountability there. It's all well and good saying the people who manage UK ice hockey don't get paid much, but that doesn't change results and the current stagnation incomparison to many other international competitors.

Ahaha, i think in a few years i may start going to some games. However, the processes of learning to drive, finding a job and moving out take more importance. Until then i have NHL gamecenter! Plus, who wants to go to Bracknell
I do agree that a change of leadership is needed. I think the changes I've proposed in this thread for the junior system would work wonders.

If you don't want to go to Bracknell, there's always Slough seriously though the standard of the EPIHL has improved a lot in recent years

Dustin Peener is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 05:23 PM
  #375
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I enjoy being sarcastic, i knew you wern't being serious.

It will certainly help to an extent, but you need to then make the transition to ice hockey. Field hockey is midly popular here (not that i know anybody who likes it, it's an awful sport) too. I guess it is a start, although i wouldn't hold your breath waiting for those rinks you posted to be built. Investment for sports is highly competitive. Interestingly, i read an article on the BBC recently about how recent investment in short-track skating has led to much greater success in the sport. Apparently we now have a few medal hopefuls for the Olympics/worlds in that discipline. Unfortunately that doesn't help ice hockey and ice hockey takes a much greater sum of capital to develop.

I think having the NHL on air does help. Not massively, but it does attract some fans. I got into the sport when i was about 14/15 and the odd game i could catch or use the old VCR to record was brilliant for me. Obviously now technology has moved forward a little and i have my own finances, but it still wouldn't hurt.

The most interesting comparison is the NFL. It's not massive, but there is a definitely a group of diehards being formed over here. It's on TV regularly here, the superbowl is on British prime time terrestial TV, and their is one regular season a game year. What the future holds for the NFL over here im not sure, but it's interesting to see how the sport has managed to gain a solid foundation. Hockey certainly will have more registered participation, but in total popularity amongst young people, i imagine it's far behind the NFL.
The bulk of NFL games are on at 6PM and 9PM there, every Sunday. The bulk of NHL games are on at 12-4AM throughout the week like I said earlier so I don't think televising NHL games there will have near the same effect as televising NFL games.

3 Minute Minor is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.