HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Management thread 2.0 ( All GM/Coaching discussion here)

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2011, 02:44 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Sadly, this management makes the team so soft and emotionless. I used to be sad when I was to going to miss any games. Now, if I miss 2 or 3 in a row, I'm like meh. I don't think they deserve to be cheered for and until changes are made, I won't be caring all that much.

Call me anything want from weather fan to actually not a real fan, but I know I am a fan, and I really hate seeing the Habs like that, and a team with that much history should not be acting like they are.
You are a real fan

A real fan expresses his frustrations

A fake fan wouldn't

Old
12-13-2011, 03:42 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

What the HECK is WRONG with our Front Office

I admit I am not in the Montreal area, but you get enough tidbits of information from sources that over the years that you being to see a pattern emerging, and that begs to ask, what the heck is wrong with our front office, and this transends the Gainey era into the Gauthier era.

Here are a couple of examples:

1. When we wanted to trade Marcel Hossa, there was talk that many of the teams were not even AWARE that he was on the trading block. There was considerable interest from Marion's team and they would have offered a lot more than Garth Freakin Murray from the Rangers!!

2. When we wanted to Trade Halak (one of the most valued assets we could use in many years)... was there anyone we talked to besides St. Louis, it doesn't sound like it.

3. More that one player has said that Gauthier never even bothered to CALL their agent to talk about what they were looking for... Halak's agent, Wiz's agent to name but two.

4. Today, the Gazette article talked about how Spatches was called into Martin's office with PG on the phone and told he was traded but he couldn't tell him to what team yet....he had to wait 30 minutes. I can understand this partly since you had completed a trade and you don't want him getting injured in practice, but couldn't it be handled better!

I don't like the way the front office communicate at all.... when we have an asset to trade WHY are we not letting all teams know about it so we can compare offers?

When we don't want to offer a player a contract, would it be too much for the GM or thier assistant to pick up the DARN phone, thank the player for their services after telling the agent thanks, but the player is not in our plans.

We used to be the class of the league in so many areas, now... well it's easy to see why we are criticised!

I am sure there are more examples.... why are we so poor at communication and building good relationships?

Old
12-13-2011, 03:57 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

This is complete BS, Bob McKenzie wrote that there were 4 teams in on the Halak, San Jose, Tampa, St Louis, and Flyer, MTL wanted to traded him out west. So this BS that no one knew he was being shopped.

In regards to Halak's agent and PG not talking contract. PG was asked about that, and he said that he didn't need to ask Halak's agent what his value was because he knew it. And it turns out PG was right on the dot. We got Eller (former 1st round pick), and Schultz (former 3rd round pick), we could have received a 1st round pic an a 3rd round pick had Halak signed the 4 year deal at 3.75M July 1st as a RFA

In regards to Wiz, PG never played to resign him so what would be the point of talking contract with his agent?

In regards to the Spacek deal, I think it was very professional the way he handled it, lets say the deal didn't go through, how bad would it be to have Spacek know that he was traded to Carolina and not have the deal go through. How would that make PG look if the deal didn't go through and the Canes JM would have had to answer questions about how is the guy that was suppose to be traded?

Funny how you don't mention that how both Price's agent and Pleck agent talked about how great and professionally PG was during the contract talks.

Or have Gorges said, while he was upset that the Canadiens didn't give him a long contract this summer, that he was happy that PG mentioned to him that it doesn't change his importance to the team.

Last edited by habs03: 12-13-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old
12-13-2011, 03:58 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
I admit I am not in the Montreal area, but you get enough tidbits of information from sources that over the years that you being to see a pattern emerging, and that begs to ask, what the heck is wrong with our front office, and this transends the Gainey era into the Gauthier era.

Here are a couple of examples:

1. When we wanted to trade Marcel Hossa, there was talk that many of the teams were not even AWARE that he was on the trading block. There was considerable interest from Marion's team and they would have offered a lot more than Garth Freakin Murray from the Rangers!!

2. When we wanted to Trade Halak (one of the most valued assets we could use in many years)... was there anyone we talked to besides St. Louis, it doesn't sound like it.

3. More that one player has said that Gauthier never even bothered to CALL their agent to talk about what they were looking for... Halak's agent, Wiz's agent to name but two.

4. Today, the Gazette article talked about how Spatches was called into Martin's office with PG on the phone and told he was traded but he couldn't tell him to what team yet....he had to wait 30 minutes. I can understand this partly since you had completed a trade and you don't want him getting injured in practice, but couldn't it be handled better!

I don't like the way the front office communicate at all.... when we have an asset to trade WHY are we not letting all teams know about it so we can compare offers?

When we don't want to offer a player a contract, would it be too much for the GM or thier assistant to pick up the DARN phone, thank the player for their services after telling the agent thanks, but the player is not in our plans.

We used to be the class of the league in so many areas, now... well it's easy to see why we are criticised!

I am sure there are more examples.... why are we so poor at communication and building good relationships?
for 1. who is Marion's team?
2. Dont know about this, I'm sure that Halak wasn't offered to an Eastern team. There wasn't alot of goalie issue in western conference..
3. Players agent is to sign contracts... thats it. There is enough NTC NMC clause. Unless you are Ray Bourque, no need to ask the player where he wants to go.
4. I think there is protocol to respect and the NHL need to confirm the trade before taking effect.

Disrespect is where you promise something you dont respect
As giving the choice to the player where to be traded... no thank you

For BGL, Gainey told him, we dont need you anymore, you are free to do what you want. He havent kept him in the lineup.
For Samsonov, he asked to be traded, he respected his demand.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:05 PM
neofury*

Isn't there already a dedicated thread for management bashing?

Old
12-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Would you want the Kings to take up JM, if he was fired?

Old
12-13-2011, 04:07 PM
WestIslander

Quote:

- Marian's team at the time was Atlanta and why do you care? Marcel Hossa is a career minor league player and we did not lose anything special.

- I still think that we should of traded Halak to Philadelphia for Giroux or Van Riemsdyk.

- That's because they had a plan and it did not consist of those players so why make an offer when you know you are going in another direction, they got Eller and Schultz for Halak and a draft pick for Wisniewski.

- This is just crazy! If this is the case then Pierre Gauthier and the rest of the Management team in charge of trades should be fired on the spot.
Besides that all that, one trade that I am GLAD never happened was:

To Tampa Bay: Tomas Plekanec + Carey Price + PK Subban
To Montreal: Vincent Lecavalier

If this happened, I think Tampa would of won the cup last season!!!

Old
12-13-2011, 04:10 PM
TheWhiteIdea

They suck.

Nothing more to add

Old
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Isn't there already a dedicated thread for management bashing?
should me a forum section for this

HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Boston Bruins
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Buffalo Sabres
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Montreal Canadiens
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Montreal Canadiens > Management Bashing
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Ottawa Senators
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
neofury*

How many people are going to stop posting next time the team goes on a streak plays well and it's as a direct result of PG's moves? How many people are going to name change this time? It's funny how when we're winning all these folks who all they do is ***** and whine about the team disappear even for good sometimes... or until the next time an injury happens that they can say "I told you so" about.

It's damn ridiculous. People like to rag on management endlessly, I don't agree with all their moves but you can't always expect perfection. 29 other teams are trying to win games, trades etc too. You win some you lose some. The fact that people act entitled to another dynasty or cup is an embarrassment, you aren't. You're entitled to watch games for entertainment value and if you so choose not to that is your choice 100%. Watching this team has been a privilege for me since day one. I may not agree with everything that is done but at the end of the day this is my team and it's all about the ride. Whining the whole way won't make it any better, all I can do is have faith really. If this management doesn't win the next one might. At the end of the day it's a sport I really love, I watch all the games religiously... but some people around here really need to get a life. Yeah, that's coming from me the guy with ~20k posts, deal with it. If you won't spend all your time crying about this team you'd probably enjoy life a bit more.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:12 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
i as starting to read the first post and my brain started to hurt

Old
12-13-2011, 04:12 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
should me a forum section for this

HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Boston Bruins
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Buffalo Sabres
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Montreal Canadiens
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Montreal Canadiens > Management Bashing
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Ottawa Senators
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Toronto Maple Leafs

seems like it's needed

Old
12-13-2011, 04:13 PM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

IIRC, Bobby Clarke said that we had two average goaltenders and that they weren't worth that much. There was a rumour that they declined to trade Giroux but that JVR was offered to us. Not sure if all that was true, though...

Old
12-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

Why would the Habs even think of making that trade? Subban and Price have been pretty much untoucheable for the past 3 years.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzFanatik71 View Post
IIRC, Bobby Clarke said that we had two average goaltenders and that they weren't worth that much. There was a rumour that they declined to trade Giroux but that JVR was offered to us. Not sure if all that was true, though...
I think what came out was that they thought Halak was an average goalie that got hot(not that far off on that one) and the best offer they had was JVR for Price...glad we didn't do it, even though JVR is a good young player.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Andy

1st when Halak asked for a trade mid season Gainey said that he didn't do it because as he put it "huet was only worth a 2nd"

Second, kevin allen spoke to Dudley of Atlanta. Dudley told him that the habs wanted Cormier and a 2nd for Halak, Dudley said he refused and never contacted the habs again to make another offer.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Et le But

If you hate the Halak trade still don't worry, we will have a second chance when we sign Halak as Price's backup when Budaj's contract expires. I mean it's got to beat backing up Elliot, right?

Quote:
How many people are going to stop posting next time the team goes on a streak plays well and it's as a direct result of PG's moves? How many people are going to name change this time? It's funny how when we're winning all these folks who all they do is ***** and whine about the team disappear even for good sometimes... or until the next time an injury happens that they can say "I told you so" about.

It's damn ridiculous. People like to rag on management endlessly, I don't agree with all their moves but you can't always expect perfection. 29 other teams are trying to win games, trades etc too. You win some you lose some. The fact that people act entitled to another dynasty or cup is an embarrassment, you aren't. You're entitled to watch games for entertainment value and if you so choose not to that is your choice 100%. Watching this team has been a privilege for me since day one. I may not agree with everything that is done but at the end of the day this is my team and it's all about the ride. Whining the whole way won't make it any better, all I can do is have faith really. If this management doesn't win the next one might. At the end of the day it's a sport I really love, I watch all the games religiously... but some people around here really need to get a life. Yeah, that's coming from me the guy with ~20k posts, deal with it. If you won't spend all your time crying about this team you'd probably enjoy life a bit more.
+Infinity

Old
12-13-2011, 04:36 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
habsjunkie2, McKenzie and Dreger on television(july 1st , 2011) said explicitly that the habs were among the teams to make an offer.
I like this line of thinking.

Results dont matter. What matters is that people are talking about you trying.

Hell, that is going to make some 14 year old boys really excited. They can tell their friends that since they tweeted Katy Perry that they are close to going out with her. They "tried".

Gotta love the defenders of the indefensible.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

Fair enough. You get to rant about being annoyed with other people ranting.

How close are we to winning it all? The Holy Grail? The Stanley Cup?

We've seen (some of us) 18 years of futility. I dont see any change in that futility over the next three years.....(do you?).

How much longer should we sit quietly by with complete patience? If you give us a firm date (year) that we will win the Cup with Martin and Gauthier, we will stop ranting.

Thanks.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Fair enough. You get to rant about being annoyed with other people ranting.

How close are we to winning it all? The Holy Grail? The Stanley Cup?

We've seen (some of us) 18 years of futility. I dont see any change in that futility over the next three years.....(do you?).

How much longer should we sit quietly by with complete patience? If you give us a firm date (year) that we will win the Cup with Martin and Gauthier, we will stop ranting.

Thanks.
We will win the cup at the end of the 2011-2012 season. There you go. You can stop ranting now.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:55 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
We will win the cup at the end of the 2011-2012 season. There you go. You can stop ranting now.

You sound like Martin.

Old
12-13-2011, 05:04 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why would the Habs even think of making that trade? Subban and Price have been pretty much untoucheable for the past 3 years.
We've been over this many times. That is the trade that was scuttled by Bettman at the 2009 draft because Tampa's owners were fighting. Plekanec and Price were confirmed, Subban is more rumour than anything.

Keep in mind that Gainey, and everyone in Montreal, was desperate for Lecavalier. I mean, the whole allure of a francophone superstar and a centre to boot. So desparate that Gainey then went for Gomez as Plan B.

Old
12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Would you want the Kings to take up JM, if he was fired?
I would not wish that on anybody

My real knock on him is his bro-mance with the "veterans". In LA he wont have a choice to trust the young players because they are the clear cut leaders of the team. You cant bench kopitar because he took a bad penalty in the third.

I think he is lucky that price gives this team a chance to win every game.

Old
12-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
We've been over this many times. That is the trade that was scuttled by Bettman at the 2009 draft because Tampa's owners were fighting. Plekanec and Price were confirmed, Subban is more rumour than anything.

Keep in mind that Gainey, and everyone in Montreal, was desperate for Lecavalier. I mean, the whole allure of a francophone superstar and a centre to boot. So desparate that Gainey then went for Gomez as Plan B.
Never head of that one and frankly I can't see it. Lecavalier wasn't worth nearly that much, not at 7.7 mil. any thought of Lecavalier becoming a superstar is badly misguided anyways. He is a "good" player, not even a "star" nevermind a "superstar".

The names I heard were Gorges Plekanec and a 1st.

Old
12-13-2011, 05:15 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

You sound like Martin.
And you sound like a 13 year old. It really is getting old hearing you whine over and over again about management. Go start a protest at the Bell Center or something, you aren't changing anyone's minds over here.

Closed Thread