HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Concussions - what needs to change?

Old
12-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Shady McCoy
#NoHonorForConnor

vCash: 500
The Virus....it's spreading!

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Shady McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Broad st phantom

I'd want better helmets and that is all. But I don't even know if that is physically possible.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:35 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
This would be hilarious if it wasn't so depressing.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:42 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
(H)ead1N1....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:14 PM
phillyfanatic

I am curious.....how seriously do people take hockey? I am honestly upset, as if I just found out a friend was seriously hurt and I am having a hard time concentrating. I seriously feel sad/mad/furious/frustrated.

The people on these boards I imagine are die-hards. Are you feeling the same? Or am I freakin' stupid for taking this "game" so ******* seriously. I mean, I am depressed here.

It is only a game, It is only a game, It is only a game........I wish I thought like that.....

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Don't believe the hype of those. A guy on my team never had a concussion in his life, switched to the M11 to be extra safe, and sustained a concussion in his first game with the new bucket. There's only so much a helmet can do, and I find it hard to believe that there's something so special in those helmets that would prevent a significant amount of concussions compared to others.
The M11 was specifically designed (according to Messier who I interviewed about this) to cut down on the risk of future concussions after the brain has already been concussed.

http://themessierproject.com/the-technology.html

Honestly, the design really does absorb the impact. Absorbing the impact is something the foam does not do. It's the transfer of energy that jostles the brain, so if you eliminate as much of that energy before it reaches the skull then you've done some good.

I've never had a concussion but in football I wore a concussion helmet. We had the option of picking our helmets, and I thought it was the most comfortable. The inflatable along with the designed padding took a LOT of the stress from impact.

I also played lacrosse and hockey. I can tell you that the foam is absolute ********. I think back and thank god that I never got a concussion.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:26 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Guys: Keep it civil & discuss the topic at hand.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:29 PM
ZenBaja

The best idea I've hear is softer pads. remove the hard outershells and cover the pads with soft layers of foam. This will lessen the impact tremendously.

The game is too fast and players are too big. Short of making the ice slower, what can you do? Softer pads is a great idea - doesn't slow the game down and doesn't require banning giants from playing.

ZenBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:31 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

PF- Trust me...as much as it seems like I'm making light of this and it's not necessarily directed at G..more about the absurdity of this concussion situation league-wide in general..I am feeling pretty crappy but I'm just trying to deal with it differently.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:32 PM
RoDu

Turn ice hockey into road hockey

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:38 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Guys: Keep it civil & discuss the topic at hand.
Sorry - to be fair.....it is a sensitive subject today

Old
12-13-2011, 02:49 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Sorry - to be fair.....it is a sensitive subject today
No worries, and I know it is sensitive but still keep it relaxed.

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:51 PM
JonnyGaloshes

Quote:
I am curious.....how seriously do people take hockey? I am honestly upset, as if I just found out a friend was seriously hurt and I am having a hard time concentrating. I seriously feel sad/mad/furious/frustrated.

The people on these boards I imagine are die-hards. Are you feeling the same? Or am I freakin' stupid for taking this "game" so ******* seriously. I mean, I am depressed here.

It is only a game, It is only a game, It is only a game........I wish I thought like that.....
I'm right there with you.

I mean, I love the Flyers, and always have since I was like 5 or 6, but for the last few seasons I've also looked forward to games just to see what new magic trick Giroux would pull off.

Hopefully his concussion is mild and he'll be back relatively soon. It just won't be the same without him.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:52 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
PF- Trust me...as much as it seems like I'm making light of this and it's not necessarily directed at G..more about the absurdity of this concussion situation league-wide in general..I am feeling pretty crappy but I'm just trying to deal with it differently.
Understood. My bad. I just keep thinking about the worst case scenerio.....No Pronger, No Giroux, No Richards, No Carter......long term.....

Old
12-13-2011, 02:55 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
I'm right there with you.

I mean, I love the Flyers, and always have since I was like 5 or 6, but for the last few seasons I've also looked forward to games just to see what new magic trick Giroux would pull off.

Hopefully his concussion is mild and he'll be back relatively soon. It just won't be the same without him.
This season, Giroux leading the points race.....this is as much fun as I've had watching Flyer hockey. Having the best player in the game (this year) on the Flyers was majic. Will I even watch the game tonight? I don't know if I can.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:08 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Understood. My bad. I just keep thinking about the worst case scenerio.....No Pronger, No Giroux, No Richards, No Carter......long term.....
Yeah the gravity of that kind of loss if Pronger and G are long term situations is pretty freakin substantial. Schenn and Couturier should help with some of the blow and in the offseason Holmgren will have to be savy again...but it would still be hard to swallow. I mean Giroux is a talent that is not easily replaced and for once we had a homegrown one at that level. We lost Lindros to this BS and Forsberg went on to a Hall of Fame career to add insult to injury. I mean with Pitt at least they won cups despite what they are going through with Crosby. We are still trying to work to that ultimate goal and now one of the key components faces an unknown future.

Crap... now you have me depressed thinking about it deeper. It will be hard to watch the games. I seriously hope he recovers...also I'm not sure I want him to be injected like Gagne and try other freaky stuff. Shut him down for as long as needed and maybe by playoff time if we can hold it together to make it....we'll see G-man back and on the attack. Gotta believe...

Old
12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Conan O'Brien already found the solution:

12-13-2011, 04:12 PM
WeekendAtBernies

One thing that needs to change is we need to eliminate the number of times our 3rd line wingers try to jump over our star players at full speed.

I feel like this would go a long way towards minimizing the problems with concussions.

In all seriousness though, that was a terrible move by Wayne Simmonds. I don't "blame" him for the incident, but he certainly could've made it a lot less lethal or potentially avoided it all together by either slowing down / stopping, turning so that impact would've been w/ a less important part of Giroux's body, or by diving over Giroux but not trying to stay on his feet... by doing this, he could've elevated his knees so they weren't @ head level w/ Giroux.

In all fairness to Simmonds though, he wasn't thinking about the ramifications... he was just trying to make sure Giroux didn't take him out of the play. He was thinking about getting back on defense to prevent an odd man rush. And that's kind of how you have to think when you're playing an NHL game.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:25 PM
kicksave27

Kinda makes up my mind for myself when it comes to getting back in to playing hockey after having PCS. I've been symptom free for 2 years now and really wanting to get back in goal. But with all this going on, I'm going to stay retired. My sweet helmet is going on the mantle.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:33 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
This season, Giroux leading the points race.....this is as much fun as I've had watching Flyer hockey. Having the best player in the game (this year) on the Flyers was majic. Will I even watch the game tonight? I don't know if I can.
Bold Prediction:

Giroux will still be leading the points race when he returns from this concussion.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Bold Prediction:

Giroux will still be leading the points race when he returns from this concussion.
that is a dumb prediction.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Slowbro

the most interesting part of this thread is all of the hardasses acting like nothing can be done to limit head injuries except pussify the sport.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2405
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...135542048.html

Quote:
With the Winter Classic around the corner, NBC Philadelphia’s John Clark sat down with Flyers legend Eric Lindros about his upcoming return to the ice with the Orange and Black.

Lindros, now 38, spoke about his eight-plus seasons in Philly, Flyers fans and the blows to the head that cut Lindros’ brilliant career short.

With current NHL point leader Claude Giroux joining captain Chris Pronger and budding star Brayden Schenn as being out of action for the Orange and Black due to concussions, Lindros’ words about how repeated head blows can affect players seem even more pertinent.

“Certainly I’ve had a bunch of them but I wouldn’t base things on numbers, I’d base them on severity.”

Lindros took some vicious shots to the head while playing with the Flyers including a brutal hit from the Devils Scott Stevens in Game 7 of the 2000 Eastern Conference Finals that in effect ended Lindros' run in Philly. He had returned just one game earlier after a blow to the head during an earlier game knocked him out of action for more than two months.

“That’s the crazy thing about the mind, the brain, is that what happens to one person isn’t necessarily… that you’re going to get the same reaction by another one down the road. Everyone is different; everyone is affected differently by these problems.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Replace the glass with tight rubber meshing.

You can still throw pucks off of it and it wouldn't do **** if you were thrown into it.

Only downside would be visibility for the crowd and if a puck ever went through it, it may harm someone in the crowd. However if it's ultra durable and fine (as well as white) it shouldn't a problem.

I'm probably super ****ing wrong, but whatever.

Last edited by OriginJM: 12-13-2011 at 05:12 PM.
OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:09 PM
SgtJoseph

In my opinion, the whole concussion trend is directly related to the players having too much protective equipment.....With all of this body armor, shoulder pads, huge hard plastic elbow pads,helmets etc, the players are now playing with complete wreckless abandon because of the " false" security this equipment affords them....The unintended consequences is a long list of concussions, due to the human brain now being exposed as the weak link in this new age hockey game we see....A larger helmet, more padding etc is NOT going to fix this problem, because this problem "mostly" is all about the fast sudden decelleration, or "whiplash" effect caused by a sudden decelleration or change of momentum and direction of a players head due to contact at high speed.......The human brain is heavy, has a lot of mass, and it is suspended in ones skull by fluid, and is only attached to the spinal chord at the small brain stem at the back base.......

REMEDY ? Get rid of the hi tec body armor, get rid of the large hard plastic elbow pads, get rid of the carbon fiber howitzers, etc....And get back to minimum equipment, wood sticks, and drop the 3rd man in nonsense, that is integral to maintaining a sense of discipline and respect towards another player.......There was a time when a player had to "answer the bell" for some of these hits you see today....A player less protected by all the equipment is less likely to throw his body around as you see today....MORE IS NOT BETTER !

The unintended consequences of the do gooders trying to protect players is actually hurting the players more......That's how most knee jerk reactions end up.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote