HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[Hammond] LA Kings Have Hired Darryl Sutter As New Head Coach

Old
12-13-2011, 04:06 PM
nki
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
What we cannot understand is the name that is floating around as Murrayís replacement. Letís get this straight. The Kings fired Murray ostensibly because they arenít nearly creative enough given their personnel and canít score goals and their answer to that problem is to possibly hire Darryl Sutter?

If so many others can see this, why can't DL????Or does he like the idea of digging his own grave???
This is where people get it wrong, DL did NOT fire Murray because of creativity or scoring, he fired him because the players didn't listen anymore. DL does NOT think system is the issue, and hiring Sutter is just a giant middle finger to the players saying it was their fault and to not expect anything different.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:07 PM
deeshamrock

The Calgary sun is saying the deal is already done...

Calgary Sun columnist Eric Francis says Darryl Sutter has been asked to coach the Los Angeles Kings

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/12/13...r-coaching-job

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:10 PM
KingsKnight
We're goin streaking

Quote:

Calgary Sun columnist Eric Francis says Darryl Sutter has been asked to coach the Los Angeles Kings

Not sure if I trust this reporter....
Quote:
The Kings fired bench boss Andy Murray on Monday after three years of service with the club.
EDIT: They rewrote the article and got the name right

Last edited by KingsKnight: 12-13-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: source article was corrected
KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Sandisfan

Bitter Beer Face

That was the old term we used for Daryl at one of the Sharks Forums I used to read. If you remember the old BEER commercial you might recall the resemblance.

Sandisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:17 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
This is where people get it wrong, DL did NOT fire Murray because of creativity or scoring, he fired him because the players didn't listen anymore. DL does NOT think system is the issue, and hiring Sutter is just a giant middle finger to the players saying it was their fault and to not expect anything different.
And I can see your point and agree, given that it was reported how angry DL was when he addressed the team and what he said.
The thing is, if they weren't listening or performing due to the system, what does he expect to change long term?
If he's pissed off, he needs to step back and not act on emotion. Or maybe Sutter has convinced him he has a better plan???
I just don't see Sutter working out well...

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
RonSwanson*

He doesn't know what he getting himself into.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Rumpelstiltskin
Serial Ruminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDankness View Post
Really this is win/win. Either Sutter turns the team around and they actually win a playoff series for once, or he doesn't and we get a new GM and coach.

Exactly the way I'm looking at this situation, given the current path that this Kings team is on at the moment. Lombardi has clearly (IMHO) demonstrated with this hire that he is absolutely going to stick to his current philosophy as long as he's the GM, so he'll either sink or swim depending upon how that philospohy plays out over the next few months...

Rumpelstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
He doesn't know what he getting himself into.

That looks like an image that could've been taken moments after he realized what he received for trading Dion Phaneuf.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Interesting article from the Hockey News on why the Kings shouldn't hire Sutter. One thing that stood out....

Perhaps before the Kings give Sutter his first NHL coaching job in five years, they should consider he has coached three teams during his NHL tenure for a total of nine full seasons and two partial ones. In those nine full seasons with the Chicago Blackhawks, Sharks and Calgary Flames, his teams finished in the top half of the league in NHL scoring exactly once, when his Sharks finished fourth in the league in goals scored in 2001-02. In the other eight seasons, his team finished an average of 20th in offensive production. (That includes one season when the league was comprised of just 24 teams, two when it was 26th, one when it was 27 and one when it was 28.)

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...yckrQ.facebook

Author points out the obvious-

What we cannot understand is the name that is floating around as Murrayís replacement. Letís get this straight. The Kings fired Murray ostensibly because they arenít nearly creative enough given their personnel and canít score goals and their answer to that problem is to possibly hire Darryl Sutter?

If so many others can see this, why can't DL????Or does he like the idea of digging his own grave???

he also says "and Los Angeles is one of those markets in the NHL where the team not only has to be successful, it has to be entertaining" proving once again that the national hockey media know little about Los Angeles or the Kings. I'm surprised he didn't pull out the "LA needs a superstar" warhorse

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:11 PM
TonySCV
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Just going by the numbers, DS seems even stronger defensively than TM, but I wager his offensive game isn't going to produce much more. On the surface this looks a lot like more of the same, just a bit more angry and loud, as we had with TM, but I'll give the veteran bench boss his due and afford him a chance to prove he can do the job.
For this to be a really interesting comparison, it would be great to see the goals and assists of each player on the roster of Sutter-coached teams before, during and after his tenure, regardless of where they wound up playing.

Did Sutter have any teams that were anything close to the talent level of this Kings team (on paper)?

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:12 PM
RonSwanson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
That looks like an image that could've been taken moments after he realized what he received for trading Dion Phaneuf.
I have a feeling that the image may become a forum meme here before long.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Johnny Utah

"But recycling coaches is a tried and true method of managing a team. If the Kings were truly looking to turn the page and recreate their identity, wouldn’t they be better served asking the Toronto Maple Leafs if they could speak to Dallas Eakins or the Pittsburgh Penguins permission to interview Jon Hynes, two up-and-coming American League coaches who would bring a refreshing attitude and a new set of eyes to the Kings situation?"

What is Lombardi's problem, even the author knows 2 solid guys who would be good replacement.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Janko Unchained
*Slightly overpaid

vCash: 115
Quote:

Coming from a Flames fan, Eric Francis is a total idiot. He isn't a reliable or good source for these kind of things. That said, it does sound like Darryl will be your teams new coach. He really is a good coach, and if he's anything like he was from '02-'06, he'll get your team to play hard every night. Good luck.

PS. Don't let him take Lombardi's job.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
"But recycling coaches is a tried and true method of managing a team. If the Kings were truly looking to turn the page and recreate their identity, wouldnít they be better served asking the Toronto Maple Leafs if they could speak to Dallas Eakins or the Pittsburgh Penguins permission to interview Jon Hynes, two up-and-coming American League coaches who would bring a refreshing attitude and a new set of eyes to the Kings situation?"

What is Lombardi's problem, even the author knows 2 solid guys who would be good replacement.
It's easy to just sit there there and say what needs to be done. It's time move on and hope for the best with Sutter.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:19 PM
cubsfan999

Quote:
I am hearing that the deal is done in principle

cubsfan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
We wanted Murray fired and we got it. Lets see how it goes before we bury everyone and everything.

Oh no you don't.... we're going to bury everything and then complain when it doesn't move. That's a dead parrot.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:41 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Someone mentioned here earlier, maybe about a week ago, that Doughty was slowly becoming Dion Phaneuf 2.0. Man, the hiring of Darryl Sutter would definitely seal Doughty's fate lol. Let's talk about the package we'd receiver for Drew

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Someone mentioned here earlier, maybe about a week ago, that Doughty was slowly becoming Dion Phaneuf 2.0. Man, the hiring of Darryl Sutter would definitely seal Doughty's fate lol. Let's talk about the package we'd receiver for Drew
Why?

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
The rumor at the time was that Phaneuf had become a distraction and caused some internal rift. I don't know the whole story or what went on behind the scenes, and who knows how many of the reports out there are accurate (similar to what we've heard about Richards in Philly). But either way, I don't think Doughty is that type, least I hope he isn't.

Two seasons ago it looked like Drew was having fun playing the game he loved. He hasn't looked the same the past two seasons. Maybe that bit of success got to his head, who knows, but someone needs to grab a hold of him and whip him into shape before he develops an over inflated ego.

The big sum of cash that he's earning could be troubling, but it could also serve as a motivating factor for him to step up and earn his money. Otherwise, the team would have to look at all options, and if trading Doughty is for the betterment of the team, then it is something to consider.

But ask yourself this, what could the Kings do to get better if they do move Doughty? You're looking at creating a huge hole on the roster and that is a rare and exceptional talent you risk losing. He just turned 22, so I'd take a step back and be a bit patient before making a rash decision.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I wanted young, hungry and fiery, I got 2 out of 3. This team needed a drill instructor behind the bench, they got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Those are my exact sentiments. A fresh new face and voice is preferred, but if he can ignite a fire in the locker room and injects a pulse on this team, then I think he is a smart hire. This is clearly Lombardi's last ditch effort. If Sutter doesn't work, he's gone.
Agree we both of these statements and the fact that this guy, like murray and DL hisself are 100% percent known quality hockey people and if I am DL knowing this is most likely the last decision on coaches I make you can understand it and I believe that he is what the team needs in way of discilpline and creditability, a new fresh coach might be the answer in the future but in a month we will be out of this years playoffs and moving sutter in should only take some tweaking to get some results and it seems like I remember when ever we played calgary it was a ***** of a game and they were very hard to play against

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
"But recycling coaches is a tried and true method of managing a team. If the Kings were truly looking to turn the page and recreate their identity, wouldnít they be better served asking the Toronto Maple Leafs if they could speak to Dallas Eakins or the Pittsburgh Penguins permission to interview Jon Hynes, two up-and-coming American League coaches who would bring a refreshing attitude and a new set of eyes to the Kings situation?"

Yeah, I'd like to see you hiring an unproven AHL coach when you absolutely MUST produce a very good result in this season. It's not just his Kings job
in jeopardy. If he fails this season, I don't see other teams standing in line for his GM services. Everyone will just look at his GM history, see amazing similarities between SJ and LAK and conclude that Lombardi will never make it. If Lombardi fails, he is back to scouting.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Jason Lewis
HFB Partner

Quote:
*wave*

yea I called that one in the offseason.

He has a lot of signs that Phaneuf had after he signed his 1st pro contract.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Jason Lewis
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
We wanted Murray fired and we got it. Lets see how it goes before we bury everyone and everything.
amen

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Why?
Apparently many people believe that when DS tells DD that he has been playing like crap, Doughty is going to take it very badly and hipcheck Sutter. This is all based on zero problems that Doughty has had with coaches so far in his career.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Reinhart

From an outsider's view looking in, and one that is pretty familiar with Darryl Sutter... I think it is a great move.

Darryl's biggest flaw is that he is absolutely HORRID with the media. They ate him alive in Calgary (and he doesn't hide the fact that he hates media). The continually ridiculed him.

His body of work really speaks for itself - he turned the Calgary Flames around. Sure, there was that 72 hour 'craziness' of trades, but that was from a GM perspective (and he had been exceptionally solid until that point).

Darryl as a coach - he will make all the players accountable. Just look at what he did with the Flames in the early 2000's. Years of bad coaching, poor player development, poor drafting... there was nothing to cheer about on the Flames except Jarome Iginla and Robyn Regehr. They didn't play as a unit. They didn't play a decent 'system'. Most importantly, they didn't play HARD.

Sutter came in, and changed the culture of the Flames. He FORCED everyone to buy in. You didn't buy in, you didn't play. Heck - he benched Jarome during some games. I remember Conroy laughing about it as they were talking about Darryl. Something along the lines of "Don't you two princesses worry about going back out there and chipping a nail. You guys are done for the night."

Seems like to me, LA is a very good team, and probably needs a 'tough as nails' coach. The players tuned out TM, sure.. but there are 2 reasons they can't tune out Darryl:

1) Just try. Really. He WILL force them to remain responsible.
2) LA just did a coaching change. Players know the next step is trades. You don't replace a coach twice in the same year.

As for Darryl stifling offence - I wouldn't worry about it. Darryl has a huge eye for talent. He puts players in positions to succeed. He pushes players. He makes players accountable to one another. He WILL make LA a team that is difficult to play against, and that will generate some additional offence. He doesn't play the trap. He demands work ethic. If you are lazy, you simply don't play. It is that simple with Darryl.

I am really happy to hear Darryl is in LA. Always thought he was a phenomenal coach. Expect him to have 'run-ins' with the media during the rough patches - he simply is just so poorly spoken. People will call him stuff like "Stupid farmer", "idiot", etc., but he is actually quite intelligent.

I really can't think of a better fit for LA right now. Sure, he is 'recycled' and 'old-school', but he is one of those coaches that should never have stopped coaching to begin with.

I am sure the first couple of weeks will still be 'rough' for LA, but in a month, I bet you are going to see a much, much better LA Kings skating hard every shift.

Reinhart is online now   Reply With Quote