HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Management thread 2.0 ( All GM/Coaching discussion here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2011, 05:35 PM
  #101
Oshawa General
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Would you want the Kings to take up JM, if he was fired?
Do you really think JM will ever land another coaching job in the NHL?? The guy is done, he should have never got this job, he's probably in the bottom five coaches in the league, look around at the new breed coach, young, innovative, communicators, motivators, educated, qualities Martin does not have.
I heard this morning, that the Canadiens have been using the same drills for every practice this year, that's just unbelievable, Martin is an amateur coach. His NHL days are done, like I've said before, he has one hell of an agent.

Oshawa General is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 05:36 PM
  #102
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
And you sound like a 13 year old. It really is getting old hearing you whine over and over again about management. Go start a protest at the Bell Center or something, you aren't changing anyone's minds over here.
Not to worry. Most of the JM/PG fanboys were on the Fire Martin bandwagon this season already. Until we won a couple of games and they jumped off of it.

Since management is so good, do you think we will win the Cup this year?

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
  #103
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
should me a forum section for this

HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Boston Bruins
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Buffalo Sabres
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Montreal Canadiens
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Montreal Canadiens > Management Bashing
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Ottawa Senators
HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Northeast Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
May as well add a Management Bashing section for every NHL team... other teams deserve it too.

Would you want JM as a scout rather than to have JM coach the Kings?

Mathradio is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 06:07 PM
  #104
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Never head of that one and frankly I can't see it. Lecavalier wasn't worth nearly that much, not at 7.7 mil. any thought of Lecavalier becoming a superstar is badly misguided anyways. He is a "good" player, not even a "star" nevermind a "superstar".

The names I heard were Gorges Plekanec and a 1st.
You are mixing up two seperate occasions. It really doesn't matter if you cannot see it, what matters is if Gainey could see it. At the time Lecavalier was only a year removed from a 40 goal 92 pt season and a 52 goal 108pt year prior to that. So perhaps that excuses what he was thinking, who knows? It was a funny year to be a Habs fan.

Gorges and Plekanec were the first go-around when the rumours first broke in January 2009. At the end of season wrap up Gainey said he was furious at Tampa for leaking those names because he thought that it affected their play.

At the entry draft in June, Gainey agreed to a deal with Lawton but one of Tampa's two-partner ownership would not approve and Bettman stepped in. He got desperate because he did not want to bring back the same two centres and so then traded for Gomez several days later prior to UFA.

This is from the Hockey News story that Tampa was going to be sold to Jeffrey Vinik. "Sources say there was a deal in place last June to trade Lecavalier to the Montreal Canadiens for goalie Carey Price, center Tomas Plekanec and a prospect, but the deal was blocked by Bettman after Barrie refused to approve the deal. That caused a rift between Barrie and Koules that continued to fester and, combined with the financial problems both owners were having, put the Lightning in a state of flux."
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ier-trade.html

There is another article by The Hockey News where they speculate that the prospect was Subban, but that was not definite. What was definite was Price and Plekanec+. Easily would have been one of the worst trades in Canadiens history, given the performance of all names since then.


Last edited by smon: 12-13-2011 at 06:14 PM.
smon is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 06:22 PM
  #105
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,045
vCash: 500
We could go 50+ years without winning a cup and fighting for 8th spot each year and there would be some who'd defend management. Some people are demanding while others are content with mediocrity.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 06:37 PM
  #106
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
We could go 50+ years without winning a cup and fighting for 8th spot each year and there would be some who'd defend management. Some people are demanding while others are content with mediocrity.
A lot of it is herd mentality on internet message boards.

If Bob says that our management is good, then people who respect Bob and who want to be a friend of Bob and respected by Bob and be in Bob's clique, those people will side with Bob.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 06:40 PM
  #107
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
You are mixing up two seperate occasions. It really doesn't matter if you cannot see it, what matters is if Gainey could see it. At the time Lecavalier was only a year removed from a 40 goal 92 pt season and a 52 goal 108pt year prior to that. So perhaps that excuses what he was thinking, who knows? It was a funny year to be a Habs fan.

Gorges and Plekanec were the first go-around when the rumours first broke in January 2009. At the end of season wrap up Gainey said he was furious at Tampa for leaking those names because he thought that it affected their play.

At the entry draft in June, Gainey agreed to a deal with Lawton but one of Tampa's two-partner ownership would not approve and Bettman stepped in. He got desperate because he did not want to bring back the same two centres and so then traded for Gomez several days later prior to UFA.

This is from the Hockey News story that Tampa was going to be sold to Jeffrey Vinik. "Sources say there was a deal in place last June to trade Lecavalier to the Montreal Canadiens for goalie Carey Price, center Tomas Plekanec and a prospect, but the deal was blocked by Bettman after Barrie refused to approve the deal. That caused a rift between Barrie and Koules that continued to fester and, combined with the financial problems both owners were having, put the Lightning in a state of flux."
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ier-trade.html

There is another article by The Hockey News where they speculate that the prospect was Subban, but that was not definite. What was definite was Price and Plekanec+. Easily would have been one of the worst trades in Canadiens history, given the performance of all names since then.
The only reason Vinny ever put effort in was because Tortorella's leg disappeared up his bum. Not interested.

You'll be hardpressed to find anyone to do a better job disguising our shortcomings than JM.

Gauthier has made his first real mistake getting Kaberle though.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 07:18 PM
  #108
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
The only reason Vinny ever put effort in was because Tortorella's leg disappeared up his bum. Not interested.
Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly interested in Lecavalier or saying they should trade XYZ for him. Just explaining the 2009 hoopla, that's all. I think HFBoards probably died the first time the rumour came out. There were literally hundreds of pages written about him.

smon is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 07:27 PM
  #109
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
You are mixing up two seperate occasions. It really doesn't matter if you cannot see it, what matters is if Gainey could see it. At the time Lecavalier was only a year removed from a 40 goal 92 pt season and a 52 goal 108pt year prior to that. So perhaps that excuses what he was thinking, who knows? It was a funny year to be a Habs fan.

Gorges and Plekanec were the first go-around when the rumours first broke in January 2009. At the end of season wrap up Gainey said he was furious at Tampa for leaking those names because he thought that it affected their play.

At the entry draft in June, Gainey agreed to a deal with Lawton but one of Tampa's two-partner ownership would not approve and Bettman stepped in. He got desperate because he did not want to bring back the same two centres and so then traded for Gomez several days later prior to UFA.

This is from the Hockey News story that Tampa was going to be sold to Jeffrey Vinik. "Sources say there was a deal in place last June to trade Lecavalier to the Montreal Canadiens for goalie Carey Price, center Tomas Plekanec and a prospect, but the deal was blocked by Bettman after Barrie refused to approve the deal. That caused a rift between Barrie and Koules that continued to fester and, combined with the financial problems both owners were having, put the Lightning in a state of flux."
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ier-trade.html

There is another article by The Hockey News where they speculate that the prospect was Subban, but that was not definite. What was definite was Price and Plekanec+. Easily would have been one of the worst trades in Canadiens history, given the performance of all names since then.
I can see it with Halak, can't see Gainey trading Price given the faith he had in him.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 07:29 PM
  #110
Ollie Williams
Registered User
 
Ollie Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,913
vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
We could go 50+ years without winning a cup and fighting for 8th spot each year and there would be some who'd defend management. Some people are demanding while others are content with mediocrity.
How can the same management stay there for 50+ years? If you refer to not winning a cup under any management for that long, you have current examples (or close to) of such teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
A lot of it is herd mentality on internet message boards.

If Bob says that our management is good, then people who respect Bob and who want to be a friend of Bob and respected by Bob and be in Bob's clique, those people will side with Bob.
You don't have a choice, and anyone who claims they know is simply lying. I can attempt to formulate a conclusion if management is good or bad, however, the fact of the matter is there are too many variables that we (the public) is not told about when said management is dealing with their problems behind closed doors. We, therefore, have to speculate logically about these variables or go on and on all day about how stupid our GM is, how terrible our coach is and formulate conspiracies about how content management is with mediocrity because the Bell Center is filled to capacity and they don't care about performances because they are making their money.

Ollie Williams is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 08:02 PM
  #111
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I can see it with Halak, can't see Gainey trading Price given the faith he had in him.
No doubt he had plenty of faith in Price. But I'd trust the Hockey News, it's not exactly Eklund. Goes to show that no one is untouchable if the need is desperate enough.

smon is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 08:13 PM
  #112
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
A lot of it is herd mentality on internet message boards.

If Bob says that our management is good, then people who respect Bob and who want to be a friend of Bob and respected by Bob and be in Bob's clique, those people will side with Bob.
A lot of it is herd mentality on internet message boards.

If Bob says that our management is good, then people who wants respect from bashers and who want to be a friend with said bashers... and respected by those bashers and be in bashers clique (cause they know everything, you know), those people will side with bashers and blame BG for everything...




woah! that was soooooo easy!

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 08:14 PM
  #113
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
We could go 50+ years without winning a cup and fighting for 8th spot each year and there would be some who'd defend management. Some people are demanding while others are content with mediocrity.
who are you to "demand" anything...

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 09:41 PM
  #114
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
A lot of it is herd mentality on internet message boards.

If Bob says that our management is good, then people who wants respect from bashers and who want to be a friend with said bashers... and respected by those bashers and be in bashers clique (cause they know everything, you know), those people will side with bashers and blame BG for everything...




woah! that was soooooo easy!
I missed you man. Where have you been? Havent seen you posting as much as you used to. Hope all is well. If you take another break from HF, I will wish you an early Merry Christmas!!!!

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 09:57 PM
  #115
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
A lot of it is herd mentality on internet message boards.

If Bob says that our management is good, then people who wants respect from bashers and who want to be a friend with said bashers... and respected by those bashers and be in bashers clique (cause they know everything, you know), those people will side with bashers and blame BG for everything...




woah! that was soooooo easy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
who are you to "demand" anything...
Hey RainMan, care to create a thought or are you just going to repeat and highlight.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
  #116
Hemlor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
Do you really think JM will ever land another coaching job in the NHL?? The guy is done, he should have never got this job, he's probably in the bottom five coaches in the league, look around at the new breed coach, young, innovative, communicators, motivators, educated, qualities Martin does not have.
I heard this morning, that the Canadiens have been using the same drills for every practice this year, that's just unbelievable, Martin is an amateur coach. His NHL days are done, like I've said before, he has one hell of an agent.
Wow, expert analysis. How in the heck did JM ever win over 600 games, obviously it's one big fluke.

I think you should look into what some of the Ottawa Senators have to say about him, and his coaching tactics, especially Jason Spezza.

Your above statements were baseless, and frankly ridiculous.

Hemlor is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
  #117
walsy37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
Wow, expert analysis. How in the heck did JM ever win over 600 games, obviously it's one big fluke.

I think you should look into what some of the Ottawa Senators have to say about him, and his coaching tactics, especially Jason Spezza.

Your above statements were baseless, and frankly ridiculous.
Do you happen to have a breakdown of his record, pre and post lockout? His style of play worked much better in the days of clutch, grab and mug. Also, since the lockout, his teams have consistently been in the top 1/3 of the league in penalties taken

walsy37 is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 10:35 PM
  #118
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Not to worry. Most of the JM/PG fanboys were on the Fire Martin bandwagon this season already. Until we won a couple of games and they jumped off of it.

Since management is so good, do you think we will win the Cup this year?
So what's your point?

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 10:40 PM
  #119
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,030
vCash: 500
If you guys wanna discuss a topic, discuss it. Don't discuss posters and make 'fanboy this' and 'fanboy that' type posts.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 10:41 PM
  #120
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
We could go 50+ years without winning a cup and fighting for 8th spot each year and there would be some who'd defend management. Some people are demanding while others are content with mediocrity.
You can look 50 years into the future? Then you should devote your attention to the stock market rather than the sports pages. You could be the richest man in the world.

Now, returning to the planet Earth, what is a reasonable timetable for the Habs to win a championship? Sometimes it takes a team a very long time. The Bruins and the Blackhawks come to mind.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 10:42 PM
  #121
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,381
vCash: 500
delete.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 10:43 PM
  #122
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
The only reason Vinny ever put effort in was because Tortorella's leg disappeared up his bum. Not interested.

You'll be hardpressed to find anyone to do a better job disguising our shortcomings than JM.

Gauthier has made his first real mistake getting Kaberle though.
How many passersby have paused to listen to your sermon on the soapbox?

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:02 PM
  #123
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
No doubt he had plenty of faith in Price. But I'd trust the Hockey News, it's not exactly Eklund. Goes to show that no one is untouchable if the need is desperate enough.
Although the story comes from an infallible authority, The Hockey News, the only iota of plausibility is that acquiring Lecavalier might help tranquilize the Bertrand Raymond and Réjean Tremblay beasties. However, I don't think Gainey's ability to assess hockey talent (despite the Gomez trade) is THAT atrocious. Not after his trading Balej for Kovalev and Craig Rivet for Gorges and Pacioretty.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:18 PM
  #124
EllertoKostitsynGoal
Registered User
 
EllertoKostitsynGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mtl
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Although the story comes from an infallible authority, The Hockey News, the only iota of plausibility is that acquiring Lecavalier might help tranquilize the Bertrand Raymond and Réjean Tremblay beasties. However, I don't think Gainey's ability to assess hockey talent (despite the Gomez trade) is THAT atrocious. Not after his trading Balej for Kovalev and Craig Rivet for Gorges and Pacioretty.
In the Kovalev deal he offered a choice of Balej, Hossa or Plekanec so he got kind of lucky on that one. And I have to admit Gorges was a nice find but we didn't receive Patches in that deal, we got a first. Pacioretty is Timmin's guy.

Edit: I'll give him credit for always beliving in Price tough.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:32 PM
  #125
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
We will win the cup at the end of the 2011-2012 season. There you go. You can stop ranting now.
Not with Martin there they won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
We could go 50+ years without winning a cup and fighting for 8th spot each year and there would be some who'd defend management. Some people are demanding while others are content with mediocrity.
Ouch! But so true.

Habsterix* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.