Notices

OT: Sidney Crosby Out Due To PCS; No Timetable For Return

Old
12-13-2011, 03:01 PM
stick9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBruin View Post
Agreed 100% I have nothing against Crosby and hope he comes back because I love seeing the B's play against the best...but what they (Penguins and the league in general) did was worse than apathy. In the last 2+ seasons teams have taken 100%, non-debatable RUNS at our best players. RUNS. Let that mull. Teams took the position that it was a good idea to take out our top 3 centers (looking at you Lavvy). The Flyers were the worst offenders in this charge, but a few teams have done it. They intentionally attempted to HARM Bergeron (at least twice) and Krejci (every time they played him.) The Pens went after Savard for the same reason. It is now a STRATEGY to harm offensive players.

It is not even the karma, or the "Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword", aspects that are interesting. It was the fact that nobody gave a flying f@#$ when it was other players, but now everyone thinks something needs to be done because it is Crosby.

Completely ridiculous.
BINGO!

To emphasize this point. The leagues leading scorer is out indefinitely with a concussion, but all the talk is about Sid and how it's bad for the league.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:03 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBruin View Post
Agreed 100% I have nothing against Crosby and hope he comes back because I love seeing the B's play against the best...but what they (Penguins and the league in general) did was worse than apathy. In the last 2+ seasons teams have taken 100%, non-debatable RUNS at our best players. RUNS. Let that mull. Teams took the position that it was a good idea to take out our top 3 centers (looking at you Lavvy). The Flyers were the worst offenders in this charge, but a few teams have done it. They intentionally attempted to HARM Bergeron (at least twice) and Krejci (every time they played him.) The Pens went after Savard for the same reason. It is now a STRATEGY to harm offensive players.

It is not even the karma, or the "Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword", aspects that are interesting. It was the fact that nobody gave a flying f@#$ when it was other players, but now everyone thinks something needs to be done because it is Crosby.

Completely ridiculous.
In a sense I agree with you. I have no problem if you have an issue with the outpouring of support for Crosby or condemnation of the hits against him in relation to the Cooke hit on Savard for example. I hate Matt Cooke, and I don't really care for the Penguins as a team.

However, as a hockey fan, I love Sidney Crosby because I love watching him play the game. From a pure hockey fan standpoint, I'm not pissed today at anybody who hit him, nor am I drumming up support for stiffer penalties in the wake of his concussions. I'm just simply disappointed that when I sit down to watch hockey tonight, I can't flip over to the Pens game during Bruins commercials to watch the world's best player. It's that simple.

Seeing the hits that have sidelined him, I don't think stiffer penalties would have mattered, and I think he feels the same way. I just think the league has decided to use his injury as an opportunity to tackle the issue, and I get that. The downside is that some fans will find that self-serving and/or unfair, and I get that too.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:14 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
BINGO!

To emphasize this point. The leagues leading scorer is out indefinitely with a concussion, but all the talk is about Sid and how it's bad for the league.
Stick

a) who would have been the league's leading scorer if Sid wasn't injured?

b) I'm reading/watching a lot about Giroux the last 12 hours...it is fresh news after all.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:16 PM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
In a sense I agree with you. I have no problem if you have an issue with the outpouring of support for Crosby or condemnation of the hits against him in relation to the Cooke hit on Savard for example. I hate Matt Cooke, and I don't really care for the Penguins as a team.

However, as a hockey fan, I love Sidney Crosby because I love watching him play the game. From a pure hockey fan standpoint, I'm not pissed today at anybody who hit him, nor am I drumming up support for stiffer penalties in the wake of his concussions. I'm just simply disappointed that when I sit down to watch hockey tonight, I can't flip over to the Pens game during Bruins commercials to watch the world's best player. It's that simple.

Seeing the hits that have sidelined him, I don't think stiffer penalties would have mattered, and I think he feels the same way. I just think the league has decided to use his injury as an opportunity to tackle the issue, and I get that. The downside is that some fans will find that self-serving and/or unfair, and I get that too.
I am with you, I think we agree. My feeling about all of this is that the league should be punishing teams/players for the plays that harm the game and the players in it. For instance, the fact that diving is not called is really damaging the game. The last few years have seen this turn into a legitimate strategy to win games. Think about it, if you dive at key points in the game (late in a game, when you are down a goal etc.) you have a very good chance of getting a power play. You have less than a 1% chance of getting a diving call. Why wouldn't you do this?

The same philosophy applies to sending players out on a mission to take out the opponents skill players. There is no real downside. David Krejci owned the Flyers and they knew it. Shift after shift of runs on DK resulted in his removal from a series...and the series victory for Philly. GOOD STRATEGY! It worked perfectly. How many head runs did Cooke have to take before he was removed from the sport entirely? Why should a player with a track record be given so many chances? Why should teams with track records be given so many chances?

I feel a little better with Shanny in his role, but the league was waaaay too late. Yes, I am a Bruins fan, and our team has arguably been harmed by the lack of accountability more than any other. We lost our top player permanently, our 2a and 2b centers for long stretches (and Bergy may never be the same again.) I may be more sensitive about this, but I think the arguments are valid. I always said, how would the Pens fans feel if their top 2 players were out, and they found out- the team played GREAT! lol. Maybe now that the golden child was harmed, the league will see $$$ signs and take action.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Stick

a) who would have been the league's leading scorer if Sid wasn't injured?

b) I'm reading/watching a lot about Giroux the last 12 hours...it is fresh news after all.
a) Who knows. I don't think we can just assume he'd be the leagues leading scorer.

b) And Sid's news is three or four days old. This is problem. The kid has become bigger than the game and bigger than the league and that pisses a lot of people off and rightfully so.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:36 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
BINGO!

Well to be fair, this is a thread about Crosby.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
a) Who knows. I don't think we can just assume he'd be the leagues leading scorer.

b) And Sid's news is three or four days old. This is problem. The kid has become bigger than the game and bigger than the league and that pisses a lot of people off and rightfully so.
He was last year before his injury and he was on an incredible run including that pts streak(25 games) had it been one of our own it would also have been all over the news. Can't really blame the guy for what the NHL does. Also for the ones saying he didn't care he was always in contact with Bergeron to see how he was doing during Bergy's injury

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Neely08

Quote:

I think it's safe to assume he'd of put both Kessel and Giroux in his tail lights were he healthy. Before he was initially hurt, there wasn't anyone even close to this guy. Not even AO.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:58 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoSturm16 View Post

Crosby is definally blaming Krejci so his teammate wont get the blame for knocking out the best player in hockey

and if that Krejci hit was the cause Crosby is too fragile to play hockey anymore
Disagree with the first part of your post - Crosby's head snapped pretty quick on that Krejci bump and I believe that he's truly pissed at Krejci (with absolutely no reason at all).

Agree on the second, though. If that incidental contact did him in, he's better off retiring.

Last edited by FutureConsiderations: 12-13-2011 at 06:24 PM.
FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:49 PM
bruinsfan1970
Global Moderator
B's R always Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Disagree with the first part of your post - Crosby's head snapped pretty quick on that Krejci bump and I believe that he's truly pissed at Krejci (with absolutely no reason at all).

Agree on the second, though. If that incidental contact did him in, he's better off retiring.

I agree and I said that this reminds me of both Lindros's(Eric & Brett) it's a shame but hits are part of the game and the Krejci hit was minor.

12-14-2011, 03:34 PM
C77

Remember when the Penguins fans told us that the reason Crosby and Malkin never got hit in the head like Savard is because their hockey sense was too good to allow it to happen?

Well....I wonder what they have to say about that now.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:39 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
Remember when the Penguins fans told us that the reason Crosby and Malkin never got hit in the head like Savard is because their hockey sense was too good to allow it to happen?

was thinking about this the other day...

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:41 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post

While I feel badly for the game of hockey, every ****ing Penguins fan that was an ******* about Savard's injury/defended Cooke/mocked the whole situation can go **** themselves.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:47 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
While I feel badly for the game of hockey, every ****ing Penguins fan that was an ******* about Savard's injury/defended Cooke/mocked the whole situation can go **** themselves.
Yep I feel the same way.

I miss seeing Savard on the powerplay. Even in 09-10 when he only played half the season and had the knee issues he was still by far the most offensively gifted Bruin.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote