HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Media spark idea

Old
12-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
This...and if you have a choice go Sirius. I prefer HNIC Radio and their other programming to NHL Radio. Some of the stuff from Canadian radio in the mornings on XM is pretty cool though.
I've been considering getting Sirius or XM. Do they have stations that talk 24/7 hockey? Or have programs dedicated solely to hockey?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:59 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Why would you want people like Carton and Francessa, who admittedly don't care about the sport, to talk about it? So that when they do you can complain about how little they know about it?

Why do people around here care so much about the lack of media coverage for hockey? It's like everyone is trying to get a seat at the cool kids table in high school. With 5000 cable channels and infinite internet space, there are more than enough ways for us to get our hockey fix.

Get over it folks.
I don't see the correlation between being cool and enjoying hockey-talk. Like I said earlier, this board is a similair outlet/alternative to media coverage. So it seems hypocritical to enjoy a discussion on hockey via Internet vs radio.

Maybe you don't listen to a lot of sports radio. Some people do and would enjoy it more if hockey was a more discussed topic.

If hockey wasn't televised, would it mean I want to be in the "cool club" by asking for the opportunity to watch it?

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:07 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANbrAVERY View Post
I don't see the correlation between being cool and enjoying hockey-talk. Like I said earlier, this board is a similair outlet/alternative to media coverage. So it seems hypocritical to enjoy a discussion on hockey via Internet vs radio.

Maybe you don't listen to a lot of sports radio. Some people do and would enjoy it more if hockey was a more discussed topic.

If hockey wasn't televised, would it mean I want to be in the "cool club" by asking for the opportunity to watch it?
But you didn't address the point. The people you listen to don't follow hockey. So what's the point of "bombarding them" with calls? Even if they finally talk about it you'd be hearing ill-informed opinions.

If you want to listen to it in the car get Sirius.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Touche my friend...and I'll just add to the 2 finely written posts above mine. I kind of enjoy not having the bandwagon fan around hockey, in Boston they call them the pink hats, spouting nonsense and ignorant blather.
It is nice that in most cases when you come across a hockey fan you know you're talking to a real hockey fan. Now obviously there are exceptions to that but it's way more true about hockey than any of the other three major sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Boomer and carton is a terrible example. 1 boomer is a rangers sth, and carton is just an idiot who refuses for even Mark Messier to talk rangers hockey without forcing him off the line. This is because of cartons hatred for torts, but its not gonna happen. We wont gain any back pages ever, esp if the knicks are in the playoffs. And you no what, I DONT FREEKIN CARE. YOU KNOW WHY? I DONT WANT ANY BANDWAGON FAKE RANGER FANS JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON OF EVERY POSTER HERE AND WHOEVER ELSE. Im a die hard yankee fan and since the invention of social media, i despise going on twitter and facebook around playoff time when all these people come out of the woodwork, I dont want that for the rangers. Its never going to happen, so I just get over it, you wanna read rangers media stuff?...follow gross, brooks and zipay on twitter, read blueshirts united and nhl.com (things we on here probably already know).
See I think this is a misinterpretation of Boomer and Carton. Boomer is a genuine guy and it's part of the reason he's liked so much by so many people. He's always genuine. He's a die hard Rangers fan and like every one of us no matter what he's doing he's always thinking about Rangers hockey, which is why he'll bring them up or cheer them on all the time on his show. Carton has gotten this far in radio because of this shtick. Whether or not people like it isn't relevant. Anyone who thinks that Carton is the individual making the decisions about what they're talking about on the show is out of their mind. To genuinely believe that because Carton brushes off Boomer every time he brings up hockey and they play that stupid "nobody cares about hockey Boomer" recording over and over again equates to it being Carton's fault there's no hockey talk is crazy. If the radio program thought that that was what the majority (key word here) of their audience wanted to hear, they would mandate to Carton that it be talked about. The fact of the matter is that it's not, and it likely never will be. Carton also plays the role of the typical American sports fan who likes all sports except hockey, which is fairly common and something else that I'm sure a lot of people who listen to that show agree with and laugh about. People take this stuff too personally. The only way you're going to change something like this is when you change the majority. Until then, it's not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I've been considering getting Sirius or XM. Do they have stations that talk 24/7 hockey? Or have programs dedicated solely to hockey?
Sirius/XM merged so they're one company now. I've had it for a few years and to be totally honest with you I hardly ever listen to the NHL Home Ice channel. The Canadian guys who are on the morning bore the hell out of me. Espo bores the hell out of me. I have another show I prefer listening to at noon so I don't get to listen much to NHL Live, which I still think is pretty boring. I just have always felt that the personalities on that channel are dull, corny, and most of the interviews put me to sleep. I'm a huge hockey fan but that station really has never done it for me.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:36 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
But you didn't address the point. The people you listen to don't follow hockey. So what's the point of "bombarding them" with calls? Even if they finally talk about it you'd be hearing ill-informed opinions.

Boomer is a die hard ranger fan. A season ticket holder actually. So he does follow hockey. Does that address the point?

You make a good point about Sirius though.

Old
12-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Why would you want people like Carton and Francessa, who admittedly don't care about the sport, to talk about it? So that when they do you can complain about how little they know about it?

Why do people around here care so much about the lack of media coverage for hockey? It's like everyone is trying to get a seat at the cool kids table in high school. With 5000 cable channels and infinite internet space, there are more than enough ways for us to get our hockey fix.

Get over it folks.
It's one thing to not cover it, fine. Then don't advertise your damn show on Hockey games like you do cover it. They do cover it in a negative and demeaning way and i'm sick and tired of it.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

Boomer does follow hockey and i'm sure could cover it pretty well in a few segments a week, but Carton just won't allow it to be talked about. He's very disrespectful about it as well which just rubs me the wrong way. You can talk about hot dog eating but not hockey? WTF.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Silence Of The Plams
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Boomer does follow hockey and i'm sure could cover it pretty well in a few segments a week, but Carton just won't allow it to be talked about. He's very disrespectful about it as well which just rubs me the wrong way. You can talk about hot dog eating but not hockey? WTF.
Agree. I hate Carton. Loved when he was booed on Garden vision. Another thing, I live in New Jersey, and besides a very minute amount of my friends, most of them think hockey is a girl sport, and that "Football is the most hardest sport that can be played in the year because people are bigger and ice skating is for ****ies," yes, someone made that argument to me. Because being 300 pounds and being able to jump onto a man so he falls down is so much more manly. I hate when Americans bash hockey when they've never even seen it. I hate bandwagoners even more, when they try to act like they know everything about hockey if they see a minute of a game. UGH. Keep hockey a family containing those who care, only those.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:06 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Agree. I hate Carton. Loved when he was booed on Garden vision. Another thing, I live in New Jersey, and besides a very minute amount of my friends, most of them think hockey is a girl sport, and that "Football is the most hardest sport that can be played in the year because people are bigger and ice skating is for ****ies," yes, someone made that argument to me. Because being 300 pounds and being able to jump onto a man so he falls down is so much more manly. I hate when Americans bash hockey when they've never even seen it. I hate bandwagoners even more, when they try to act like they know everything about hockey if they see a minute of a game. UGH. Keep hockey a family containing those who care, only those.
When did he get boo'd? I would love to see it. Can someone YouTube it?

Old
12-13-2011, 07:27 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Read my post above. If you think Carton is making programming decisions about what is discussed you're out of your mind. Carton is no different than the majority of sports fans who knock hockey. Boomer is no different than the niche die hard hockey fan. If the radio station thought that their ratings would improve by covering hockey they would do it. The fact of the matter is that they wouldn't. Boomer and Carton are advertised on MSG and at MSG because they're on MSG. No where does that connection in any way mean that their show has to, or should cover hockey. No where. If MSG had an issue with it they wouldn't be broadcasting the show. Do you know why they do though? Because it gets them better ratings than what they would normally have on. Hell, it probably gets them better ratings than the Rangers do.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:54 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

They just said on MSG that Messier is going to be in the studio on Boomer & carton

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
They just said on MSG that Messier is going to be in the studio on Boomer & carton
Yea and last time he was on Carton legit rushed him off as soon as boomer asked him a rangers question. I understand its part of his act and the "nobody cares about hockey boomer" joke but its annoying. Im sick of the terrible jets and giants talk tuesday-thursday, and now that the knicks are back def no rangers. But thats the realty of it and we except it, I watch hockey night live and the versus shows at night, and ofcourse nhl network...thats your only hockey coverage. And for any1 to say hockey is a girl sport is freaking retarded, because hockey is the toughest sport around. Football fans can make their case but hockey is double the speed with just as many hits if not more, ON SKATES. The strength, athletic ability, lets not forget the hands/hand eye coordination and athletic ability, dont even get me started. This topic is very sensitive to me as a aspiring sports journalist, I just want to cover hockey, to bring some prominence to something I love that goes so disgustingly under-appreciated. Sorry for a rant...thats why I feel like this place is a haven for all of us. Its where we get our hockey talk, our connection, our mutual love and adoration for this team.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:31 PM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The brain dead football meat heads will just call in and drool dumb excrement about how five minutes of hockey is too much for them to handle. Except it wont sound that literate. It'll sound more like "daaarrrr foooseball woooools hwoky sukths" "gwooo Swanchez". "J...eeeerrr uhhh T. S Jwetz!!!"
Spit some soda on that one.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:21 AM
savebyrichter35

The lack of media coverage used to piss me off but I'm glad now. I simply can't listen to sports radio anymore because it's only moron's that call in to the shows and frankly just about every radio host is a moron as well. I'm a diehard Jets fan, season ticket holder etc., and I absolutely despise Jets fans. I'll listen to the Jets post game on the way home from the meadowlands, and the first caller always spews some nonsense and I have to immediately turn it off. I specifically remember on the way home from the game against the Chargers which the Jets came back to win, the first caller started actually yelling, saying "what happens if John Conner and Dustin Keller get hurt? We're gonna have Matt Mulligan as our starting tight end?! Matt Mulligan!!!! Are you kidding me?!" The Jets won an emotional game, and the guy calls in complaining and actually yelling about the backup tight end. I don't wanna feel the hatred for my fellow Ranger fans that I do for my fellow Jets fans, and the lack of media coverage allows that to happen. For the most part, this board has extremely knowledgeable hockey fans and if it got the media attention that other sports get, it would inevitably attract the morons to the airwaves. No thank you.

savebyrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:21 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Even despite the coverage the Rangers probably have one of the most loyal/die hard fanbase in New York. Even Francessa has said multiple times that the Rangers have the best fan base in NY. With more media coverage that would mean a lot more bandwagoners. The beauty of hockey is that most fans aren't casual fans like many are with the NBA.. i've never met a "casual" NHL fan.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
The lack of media coverage used to piss me off but I'm glad now. I simply can't listen to sports radio anymore because it's only moron's that call in to the shows and frankly just about every radio host is a moron as well. I'm a diehard Jets fan, season ticket holder etc., and I absolutely despise Jets fans. I'll listen to the Jets post game on the way home from the meadowlands, and the first caller always spews some nonsense and I have to immediately turn it off. I specifically remember on the way home from the game against the Chargers which the Jets came back to win, the first caller started actually yelling, saying "what happens if John Conner and Dustin Keller get hurt? We're gonna have Matt Mulligan as our starting tight end?! Matt Mulligan!!!! Are you kidding me?!" The Jets won an emotional game, and the guy calls in complaining and actually yelling about the backup tight end. I don't wanna feel the hatred for my fellow Ranger fans that I do for my fellow Jets fans, and the lack of media coverage allows that to happen. For the most part, this board has extremely knowledgeable hockey fans and if it got the media attention that other sports get, it would inevitably attract the morons to the airwaves. No thank you.

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS...literally as a jets/rangers fan, I couldnt have said this any better.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

I feel that hockey is a cult sport....we live, eat and breathe this team. I think the rangers do have the most loyal fan base in this city. Hence why dolan knows he can jack up prices, the team could still suck and we would still pay (suckers arent we). Hey but its the truth.