HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

It was at home, what do you think happened?

Old
12-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Nobody knows which scapegoat to blame. Very reminiscent of the Grags/Leino near-goal in that other home loss (too many to remember which game).
Yeah, that really narrows it down there

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:18 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
oooooo I'm sure something productive will come from that
Lights off and Astronomy class in the locker room planetarium.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Vanek was disinterested the whole game, haven't seen him this bad since 07-08, wonder if he is finally getting fed up with Ruff.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I missed all but the last 5 min. of regulation and OT ....

How did Gragnani look as a forward? Better, worse, the same as when he plays "defense"?

How did Weber look?

Did Chewy look good between Vanek and Pominviile?

Lastly, how was Leino tonight?

Thanks for the insight!
All my opinion. Others may not share:

1- Grags was a non factor. Didn't do anything worth mentioning, good or bad.

2- Weber looked decent. His physical game was there. Nothing spectacular but certainly better than what Grags has offered.

3- Chewy scored a really nice goal but we need more out of a #1 center than he can offer. That's not his fault.

4- Leino, like Grags, was a non factor for most of the evening. In fact, his normal strong on the puck play wasn't there at all. He did have a semi-decent chance at the end of the first on a giveaway and actually shot the puck.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:21 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I still go back to post-game, after they lost at home to the Bruins a few weeks back and they were as pleased as punch about their effort and let the whole world know it.

That told me a LOT about the mental makeup of this team.
Yup. I was pissed we lost that game.

The post game presser sure sounded like a win though. Lindy's right on track... its a joke! And it starts with him.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:23 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
I wonder if Staff may be watching a game or two from the press box when Boyes is ready to return.
Who knows how Stafford will be playing when Boyes is ready to come back (has there been a timetable? I haven't heard anything about his status). But if he keeps up his current play, it would be the easiest solution to just slide Boyes in his place. Whether it would happen remains to be seen.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Everyone's pretty much covered all the thoughts I have in my head about this game so I really don't have much more to add in.

For at least a few years now the team seems to be told to stand back and forget the forechecking and trying to keep scoring more goals, when we have a slight lead. They try to win every close game by the skin of their teeth, letting the opposition into our zone and trying to clear it out the whole 3rd period. We get away with it for a short while but eventually we start running around our own zone and bingo, the opposition eventually scores. Same thing over and over. They then make the same excuses by saying they've got to play a full 60 minutes, stop the giveaways, etc. and nothing changes. Definitely the definition of insanity like someone already said here. It's getting really old.

As much as I love Lindy, this team's not being coached correctly anymore. We have the talent and there's too much of it to be where we are now. A coaching change may be the only thing that gets this team to succeed. I agree one of the problems is inconsistency (Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, Leino, Ennis, etc.), but this team is far too talented to be playing the way they have. It's not just the players.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

I'm not at all "the sky is falling type", typically quite the opposite.

But something has got to change with this team, something is not right and it goes way beyond injuries. I don't know if it's chemistry, I don't know if it's Ruff, I don't know what it is. But status quo is not going to be enough to shake this team to wake up. It's more than just losing games, the way they're doing it just makes it painful to watch. I will watch every single game because I love watching, and I love this team, but it's been a while since I've been this unenthused watching the games.

Perfect example was Stafford's game tying goal against Philly, I was excited but there is just a constant feeling of impending doom watching this team.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whammer

Ugh, another home loss that I got to witness.

Paging Darcy Reiger, paging Darcy Reiger. Injuries or not, something needs to change. If you are waiting for everyone to get healthy to justify anything, you'll be a day late and a dollar short.

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:28 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I wonder if Staff may be watching a game or two from the press box when Boyes is ready to return.
Has there been any word on that lately?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Clearly another display of how completely stopping any forecheck as soon as you grab a lead in the 3rd period is totally the correct strategy.

Especially with how well Ottawa's D were dealing with the forecheck in the first 2 periods

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Afino
The Juice

I wonder what they did in the locker room?

Get around the fireplace and sing Kumbaya?

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Whammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I missed all but the last 5 min. of regulation and OT ....

How did Gragnani look as a forward? Better, worse, the same as when he plays "defense"?

How did Weber look?

Did Chewy look good between Vanek and Pominviile?

Lastly, how was Leino tonight?

Thanks for the insight!
Grags was Grags. Soft as usual and avoiding contact.

Weber I thought had a good game for being out so long. Played it simple and played the body very well tonight. Some solid hits.

Lame-O was a non-factor. Not one of his better games. He had an open opportunity in the first and shot the puck. If he did that every time instead of looking to pass, I could live with that. Still looks to pass first when he should be thinking shot.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:32 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

6-9-3 at FNC this year.

Yea so basically 6-12. You've gotta be kidding me.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:33 PM
joshjull

Add to the ugly

-Ruff's obssession with Grags. He dresses him as a 7th dman to play on the 4th line just to keep him on the PP. Why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Why the **** is he out there ahead of Ehrhoff on the top PP unit? you know the big UFA offenisve dman we signed thats a very good PP point man. I DON'T ****ING UNDERSTAND!!!!!!

That was cathartic

Last edited by joshjull: 12-13-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old
12-13-2011, 09:36 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I'm not at all "the sky is falling type", typically quite the opposite.

But something has got to change with this team, something is not right and it goes way beyond injuries. I don't know if it's chemistry, I don't know if it's Ruff, I don't know what it is. But status quo is not going to be enough to shake this team to wake up. It's more than just losing games, the way they're doing it just makes it painful to watch. I will watch every single game because I love watching, and I love this team, but it's been a while since I've been this unenthused watching the games.

Perfect example was Stafford's game tying goal against Philly, I was excited but there is just a constant feeling of impending doom watching this team.
Another game goes by... Another poster with just about this same post. It seems like game in and game out another fan hops on tje wagon that a bunch of us have been on for a while. (You may have posted this before i'm not sure) but either way... More and more fans are realizing that a change is needed.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:38 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Add to the ugly

-Ruff's obssession with Grags. He dresses him as a 7th dman to play on the 4th line juts to keep him on the PP. Why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Why the **** is out there ahead of Ehrhoff ? you know the big UFA offenisve dman we signed thats a very good PP point man. I DON'T ****ING UNDERSTAND!!!!!!
Ehrhoff is clearly too busy beating the hell out of guys for this power play nonsense.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Szczechura was 5/8 on faceoffs tonight. Anyone know what his season faceoff win percentage is? I've noticed he's not a bad faceoff-man at all. I'm really liking this guy.

Old
PanicItsVanek26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammer View Post
Grags was Grags. Soft as usual and avoiding contact.

Weber I thought had a good game for being out so long. Played it simple and played the body very well tonight. Some solid hits.

Lame-O was a non-factor. Not one of his better games. He had an open opportunity in the first and shot the puck. If he did that every time instead of looking to pass, I could live with that. Still looks to pass first when he should be thinking shot.
C'mon he got a hit tonight.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Add to the ugly

-Ruff's obssession with Grags. He dresses him as a 7th dman to play on the 4th line just to keep him on the PP. Why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Why the **** is out there ahead of Ehrhoff on the top PP unit? you know the big UFA offenisve dman we signed thats a very good PP point man. I DON'T ****ING UNDERSTAND!!!!!!

That was cathartic
I really hope that they're trying to show him off to trade him. I can't stand the guy one bit.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:40 PM
joshjull

Chewy is at 47% according to NHL.com

Old
12-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Whammer

Quote:
Add to the ugly

Why the **** is out there ahead of Ehrhoff on the top PP unit? you know the big UFA offenisve dman we signed thats a very good PP point man. I DON'T ****ING UNDERSTAND!!!!!!

That was cathartic
I've been a Lindy supporter for years, but these decisions are pushing me over the edge along with his message getting stale with these players. You can't fire the players they say, so I think it's time.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:47 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammer View Post
I've been a Lindy supporter for years, but these decisions are pushing me over the edge along with his message getting stale with these players. You can't fire the players they say, so I think it's time.
Aaaand another on the wagon.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Add to the ugly

That was cathartic
I hear you there. Again, the definition of insanity: making the same mistake twice, or in this case the whole season, and expecting different results. Maybe Lindy's got his performance in last year's playoffs in the back of his head still and he continues to be confident in him. I've been nothing but unimpressed with MAG on the PP the whole year. Would much rather have Leopold on that left point with Hoff on the right.

Lindy's got an obsession with playing certain players even when they play so poorly that they should be in the press box. It was the same with Butler.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:50 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Add to the ugly

Why the **** is he out there ahead of Ehrhoff on the top PP unit? you know the big UFA offenisve dman we signed thats a very good PP point man. I DON'T ****ING UNDERSTAND!!!!!!

That was cathartic
I was thinking the same thing. Lindy loves this guy and I don't get why? It's not like he's doing anything that great on PP. MAG is maybe a 5 or 6 d-guy in this league and not a good one. There is no way he's better than having Leopold out there.
Maybe Mags has some dirt on Ruff.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote