HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Flames at Predators 12/13 - Ask Me No Questions...

Old
12-13-2011, 09:39 PM
NoNecksCurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
There were a ton of shots tonight. I wouldn't doubt it if that is close to accurate.
maybe its just me.. just weird seeing shot totals like that..

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:45 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The boards seem to be glitching tonight, so if you post something and it doesn't show up just be patient. It will eventually.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
3 straight wins feels good, even if it is against three of the worst in the league.
hey now, Mark Howard said we now had two straight wins against "playoff caliber teams"

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Calgary is basically equal to us. Not fair to lump them with the Ducks and BJs. This is a good win against a team we are directly competing for a playoff spot against

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:52 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Look, players like legwand and erat have been the same players they have been all these years. They aren't going to change. We can cry all we want about wanting them to shoot more but they aren't going to do it. Why do we need a finisher? because they shoot and because they consistently produce results offensively which will take some pressure off of the defense.

The PP improved yet again tonight. While our top lines were stymied by Kipper at ES, we got an ES goal from Halischuk who is now tied with Fisher, Clowe, Cammallri, Zetterburg, Hudler with six goals. The players we need to perform have started to over the past few games ... Wilson, Fisher, Tootoo, SK, Smith, Legwand, and Hornqvist all with at least a goal in the past five games. The boys controlled the faceoff dot to include the key defensive zone draws at the end of the game.

Sorry if I can't join you on the "this team is terrible" bandwagon. I see too much capability in this current squad.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 12-13-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: cleaning
101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:56 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
3 straight wins feels good, even if it is against three of the worst in the league.
This puts Calgary at 6-3-1 in their last ten. They'd won six of their last eight coming into tonight including wins against us, Minnesota, and Edmonton.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:02 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I have to agree that Calgary isn't a bad team. They have been pretty inconsistent so far this year, but they have also been hot as of late. The Preds dominated the entire first period, and about halfway through the second took control again. The third was pretty much back and forth until the last 2 minutes or so. A pretty good effort from the Preds tonight led to a good win, and now we have a streak

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Preds311

Just saw the Preds are 6-1-2 after being tied after 2 periods. Not too shabby.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I'm not getting to see most of these games, alas (Jackets games overlapping, and, well, priorities). But I'm certainly liking the results!

(Need to find more smilies for the Red Wings, now...)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:13 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I'd argue that Smith's positioning and the pass to get him the puck was more important than the shot itself. For some reason in years past, we rarely got guys right there in the middle of the PK box. Shooting frequency has gotten much better recently compared to the beginning of the season.
Yeah, but put in the same position, many, many of our forwards would have taken that puck and passed it back to the blue line or off to the half-boards. Unless he's got a better option available RIGHT NOW or simply can't get a shot off, Smith shoots the puck at the net. That's what we need from all our forwards.

If you can possess the puck and look for a better option, do so. But if a turnover is inevitable, make that turnover come off the goalie's pads.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:25 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
That's what happens when you shoot the puck!
Have you not been paying attention to the SOG stat?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:31 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The PP improved yet again tonight. While our top lines were stymied by Kipper at ES, we got an ES goal from Halischuk who is now tied with Fisher, Clowe, Cammallri, Zetterburg, Hudler with six goals. The players we need to perform have started to over the past few games ... Wilson, Fisher, Tootoo, SK, Smith, Legwand, and Hornqvist all with at least a goal in the past five games. The boys controlled the faceoff dot to include the key defensive zone draws at the end of the game.

Sorry if I can't join you on the "this team is terrible" bandwagon. I see too much capability in this current squad.
I couldn't agree more. We dominated the entire 1st period and a lot of the 3rd. Kipper made some point blank saves in the 1st and this game easily could've been 4-1 or so. I can't be negative nancy when our "lowest payroll in the league team" is in a playoff spot right now and is on par with most of our past teams at this point in the season.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Have you not been paying attention to the SOG stat?
What are you talking about? I was celebrating that we were shooting the puck and getting results? The ****?

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:05 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
What are you talking about? I was celebrating that we were shooting the puck and getting results? The ****?
Sorry, it came off as sarcastic to me.

Old
12-14-2011, 05:52 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

This team has played well in four of the past five with the exception being the first 58 minutes or so of the Columbus game.

Shockingly, Halischuk is now tied for 74th in the league with six ES goals. None of the lines has gotten hot for a prolonged period of time in well over a month, but, the team is getting it's usual scoring by committee and is t-15th in goals per game. The PP is clicking along and remains 3rd in the league. Smith is still near the top of the rookie scoring chart and Wilson is finally becoming the player we all expected with the #7 overall pick.

There are still too many shots blasted into the goalie's crest and too often our guys aren't in position to handle the rebounds that the outside shots are creating. If Erat or Legwand are able to elevate the puck, this game takes a totally different tone early.

I'm actually happy with the effort and outcome last night. The boys took down a hot team that recently beat them. Now the tough part begins ... an 8-2-0 Wings team comes in Thursday followed by a 7-2-1 Blues club Saturday. Time to handle things within our own division.

Old
12-14-2011, 07:10 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Without having access to the game, I'll hand out the unsung hero award to Rinne in this one. Saves 35 of 36 (.972). If we can get the Rinne from that winning stretch at the start, we can string together some great wins.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
There are still too many shots blasted into the goalie's crest and too often our guys aren't in position to handle the rebounds that the outside shots are creating. If Erat or Legwand are able to elevate the puck, this game takes a totally different tone early.
This is definitely something we need to improve on. I noticed several times last night, a rebound would come out and the forward on that side was too far away from the net, and worse yet, standing still. Wilson's goal showed what happens if you're skating to the net when the shot is taken.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:11 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
This is definitely something we need to improve on. I noticed several times last night, a rebound would come out and the forward on that side was too far away from the net, and worse yet, standing still. Wilson's goal showed what happens if you're skating to the net when the shot is taken.
I don't mind a forward remaining still as long as they are in the right place. It worked fine for Phil Esposito and is how Holmstrom made a living. It's a style that can work. What I noticed with both Erat and Legwand is that neither was really in position and had to reach while pressured and simply didn't get any lift on their shot (I think Erat pulled his shot to the right a bit as well).

Old
12-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Legionnaire11

Accuracy of your shot isn't as highly considered in the NHL as you might think. It's more about quickness of your shot. Get the goalie moving and put it by him quickly before he can react, rather than pick a spot and try to basically "outguess" the goalie when he has good position on the shooter.

This is why we see so few goals that are simply shot past the netminder and many more that come from a rebound, re-direction or one-timer. Accuracy may play a bigger part on a play that the goalie is screened, but for the most part if you take time to aim, you will be too late. It's all about getting your stick on the puck and putting into the open area quickly.

So it's understandable that so many shots go straight into the crest. But it is also true, and more important, that the Preds many times do not have a guy in position to pick up those rebounds/garbage goals. Or they don't get a man in front of the net or in the slot on the PP and are forced to the perimeter. Easier said than done, and they wouldn't instantly become world beaters if they were able to do this on a consistent basis.

It has to be an emphasis I think. It's said that Bill Russell would practice on a regular basis by taking 1,000 shots. Not to improve his shooting accuracy, but to study rebounds and have a complete understanding of how the ball would come off the rim/backboard from each type of shot.

This is the type of focus that I think would create a truly dominant powerplay for an NHL team if they would relentlessly practice screens, rebounds and re-direction.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:39 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

(Need to find more smilies for the Red Wings, now...)
I'm thinking laughing satan.

And side note: Harvey?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote