HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would all those who mocked me for saying Desharnais could make it in the NHL stand up

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2011, 09:36 PM
  #1
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Would all those who mocked me for saying Desharnais could make it in the NHL stand up

That's right. Where are all you now? I've been saying that all he needed was a chance to play as a top 2 center for two years. I had so many people tell me "It doesn't mean St-Louis can play in the NHL that every small player can," or "He's only Corey Locke V2.0."

Where are you now people? What's your argument now? He's only been lucky?

He's gaining experience and should even improve his play. I'm glad he got his chance. I look forward to see how he plays with a couple more seasons under his belt.


Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:40 PM
  #2
Ollie Williams
Registered User
 
Ollie Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
That's right. Where are all you now? I've been saying that all he needed was a chance to play as a top 2 center for two years. I had so many people tell me "It doesn't mean St-Louis can play in the NHL that every small player can," or "He's only Corey Locke V2.0."

Where are you now people? What's your argument now? He's only been lucky?

He's gaining experience and should even improve his play. I'm glad he got his chance. I look forward to see how he plays with a couple more seasons under his belt.

In the Fire Management thread.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:41 PM
  #3
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,082
vCash: 500
so, I guess you'll go back under your rock when he'll get 3 or 4 games without a point...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:45 PM
  #4
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
That's right. Where are all you now? I've been saying that all he needed was a chance to play as a top 2 center for two years. I had so many people tell me "It doesn't mean St-Louis can play in the NHL that every small player can," or "He's only Corey Locke V2.0."

Where are you now people? What's your argument now? He's only been lucky?

He's gaining experience and should even improve his play. I'm glad he got his chance. I look forward to see how he plays with a couple more seasons under his belt.

I for one didn't mock you, but I am surprised at his play. Good for him and good for the team. I do maintain, however, that the team will not go too far with Plekanec and DD, 1 and 2 down the middle. Just not big enough or strong enough.
Happy for the kid's success, though

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
  #5
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 500
aren't power forwards supposed to come 1 per line?
Or do they need both with DD to over come a size/strength deficiency?

just wondering

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
  #6
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 9,841
vCash: 500
People are going to be doubting him his whole career. I love DD and I find that what he lacks in size and strength he makes up for in heart and smarts, but there are some people who love to bash the underdogs.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:48 PM
  #7
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
In the Fire Management thread.
I actually hope they replace Martin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
so, I guess you'll go back under your rock when he'll get 3 or 4 games without a point...
Why? I never said he would become a super star. I only said he can useful and can produce and can earn a spot on a team with his talent.. It's done.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:48 PM
  #8
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
aren't power forwards supposed to come 1 per line?
Or do they need both with DD to over come a size/strength deficiency?

just wondering
Not necessarily, he was doing fine even when Cammalleri was floating on his line.

I was at the Bell Center when he played his first game and I've been a believer ever since. The guy has serious hockey smarts and gives his all every game.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:50 PM
  #9
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
aren't power forwards supposed to come 1 per line?
Or do they need both with DD to over come a size/strength deficiency?

just wondering
God forbid the Habs finally find a formula that works for more then 1 game, right? That comment was really dumb considering their success. If the Habs need a power forward on the 1st line, well, go get him!

Anyways, Pacioretty hasn't played like a power forward in a very long time.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:50 PM
  #10
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,604
vCash: 500
Here. I never thought Desharnais would make it, he's proven me wrong. Glad to see him do so well.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:51 PM
  #11
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
I for one didn't mock you, but I am surprised at his play. Good for him and good for the team. I do maintain, however, that the team will not go too far with Plekanec and DD, 1 and 2 down the middle. Just not big enough or strong enough.
Happy for the kid's success, though
I agree. I like both players, but they are not a one, two punch. They are a "two, two." They are ok, but not great as top two centers..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
  #12
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,143
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Here. I never thought Desharnais would make it, he's proven me wrong. Glad to see him do so well.
Same. Always thought he'd be a tweener, but he's shown a lot so far this season.

It's a nice story too.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
  #13
Bloumeister
Certifiable
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Loony bin
Posts: 5,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Not necessarily, he was doing fine even when Cammalleri was floating on his line.
When Gomez comes back, let's put him on a line with DD.

DD - everyone produces with him
Gomez - "the black hole"

The IRRESISTIBLE FORCE vs THE IMMOVABLE OBJECT.

Let's see who wins.

PLACE YOUR BETS!


Bloumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:57 PM
  #14
EllertoKostitsynGoal
Registered User
 
EllertoKostitsynGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mtl
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
God forbid the Habs finally find a formula that works for more then 1 game, right? That comment was really dumb considering their success. If the Habs need a power forward on the 1st line, well, go get him!

Anyways, Pacioretty hasn't played like a power forward in a very long time.
I love Pacioretty but he is more a skill guy who can go in front of the net and win board battles than a pure powerfoward like Cole. Higher offensive ceiling but less physical. Would love him to learn to use his speed like Cole tough.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:58 PM
  #15
Bloumeister
Certifiable
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Loony bin
Posts: 5,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
God forbid the Habs finally find a formula that works for more then 1 game, right? That comment was really dumb considering their success. If the Habs need a power forward on the 1st line, well, go get him!

Anyways, Pacioretty hasn't played like a power forward in a very long time.
QFT

Plays like the Pacioretty from 2 years ago. A bigger Russ Courtnall.

Bloumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:59 PM
  #16
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,188
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
I for one didn't mock you, but I am surprised at his play. Good for him and good for the team. I do maintain, however, that the team will not go too far with Plekanec and DD, 1 and 2 down the middle. Just not big enough or strong enough.
Happy for the kid's success, though
if eller finds his finish somewhere, switch dd and eller

given decent linemates, dd will eat 90% of the league's third lines

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:00 PM
  #17
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
When Gomez comes back, let's put him on a line with DD.

DD - everyone produces with him
Gomez - "the black hole"

The IRRESISTIBLE FORCE vs THE IMMOVABLE OBJECT.

Let's see who wins.

PLACE YOUR BETS!



Playing him on the top 2 lines is killing the Habs... IMO there's two reasons he can't produce anymore.
1, He sucks for some unknown reason.
2, Martin not playing properly.

The only solution for him is play him on the 3rd or 4th line, send him down to Hamilton, or get a new coach. As long as they DON'T do this, it will hurt them on the score sheet.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:02 PM
  #18
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,559
vCash: 500
He's not a true centerman to me because he NEEDS guys with size on his line in order to be successful.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:04 PM
  #19
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
He's not a true centerman to me because he NEEDS guys with size on his line in order to be successful.
Henri Richard was also a bad center...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:05 PM
  #20
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
if eller finds his finish somewhere, switch dd and eller

given decent linemates, dd will eat 90% of the league's third lines
Eller doesn't have the offensive instinc that DD have.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:06 PM
  #21
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Henri Richard was also a bad center...
Is this where I name all the 5'6 centermen who never panned out?

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:10 PM
  #22
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Is this where I name all the 5'6 centermen who never panned out?
Be honest.

DD was a top-offensive weapon in the Q and was never drafted...

He dominated the ECHL when he was 20 (and was still 5'6)

He dominated in the AHL (and he was still 5"6)

He's doing quite well at NHL level (and , my GOD, he is only 5"6...)

The kid will have some success. And if not in Montreal, somewhere else.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:17 PM
  #23
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Be honest.

DD was a top-offensive weapon in the Q and was never drafted...

He dominated the ECHL when he was 20 (and was still 5'6)

He dominated in the AHL (and he was still 5"6)

He's doing quite well at NHL level (and , my GOD, he is only 5"6...)

The kid will have some success. And if not in Montreal, somewhere else.
He's playing quite well, but there are some areas in his game that he struggles at. They're hidden a bit because he has 2 big guys on his wings.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
  #24
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
He's playing quite well, but there are some areas in his game that he struggles at. They're hidden a bit because he has 2 big guys on his wings.
Indeed.

Whats the problem then? Not all players are complete, it doesn't mean they can't be any good.

Specialization. Desharnais is great in the offensive zone, he makes good decisions with the puck, knows were to find his players and really helps out without costing the team because he's complemented by two guys that are playing their best hockey with him.

Do. Not. Change this line, thanks.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:49 PM
  #25
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,052
vCash: 500
Okay. So I guess Mats Naslund was a terrible winger because he played with a 6'4 Center and a 6'3 RW, right? Those guys could "hid his weaknesses...".. that's it?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.