HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

It was at home, what do you think happened?

Old
12-13-2011, 09:52 PM
omglolnub

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammer View Post
Ugh, another home loss that I got to witness.

Paging Darcy Reiger, paging Darcy Reiger. Injuries or not, something needs to change. If you are waiting for everyone to get healthy to justify anything, you'll be a day late and a dollar short.

I suggest that Regier is part of the problem...I don't want him calling the shots on a rebuild of the team, cause while they'll have different nameplates on the back, they'll be the same type of player as they are now. And 5 years wasted on a rebuild to get back to where things are now. Doubly so with Ruff still coaching.

tl;dr Fire Ruff, Fire Regier, fire sale time.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:52 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Lindy loves this guy and I don't get why? It's not like he's doing anything that great on PP. MAG is maybe a 5 or 6 d-guy in this league and not a good one. There is no way he's better than having Leopold out there.
Maybe Mags has some dirt on Ruff.
Its pathetic whatever it is. It amazes me that Lindy never gave Paetsch more of a chance when he was here... Given the hard on he has for Grags.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Lindy loves this guy and I don't get why? It's not like he's doing anything that great on PP. MAG is maybe a 5 or 6 d-guy in this league and not a good one. There is no way he's better than having Leopold out there.
Maybe Mags has some dirt on Ruff.
One thing Gragnani doesn't do is shoot although I think he did shoot once tonight when he had the chance. He usually passes to Ehrhoff, which is totally predictable to the opponent. Teams catch on to that eventually and they hurry Hoff so he has no time to take a shot.

Leopold will shoot and he's one of our more accurate defensemen in terms of hitting the net. I'd even take Pominville on that left point.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Everyone's pretty much covered all the thoughts I have in my head about this game so I really don't have much more to add in.

For at least a few years now the team seems to be told to stand back and forget the forechecking and trying to keep scoring more goals, when we have a slight lead. They try to win every close game by the skin of their teeth, letting the opposition into our zone and trying to clear it out the whole 3rd period. We get away with it for a short while but eventually we start running around our own zone and bingo, the opposition eventually scores. Same thing over and over. They then make the same excuses by saying they've got to play a full 60 minutes, stop the giveaways, etc. and nothing changes. Definitely the definition of insanity like someone already said here. It's getting really old.

As much as I love Lindy, this team's not being coached correctly anymore. We have the talent and there's too much of it to be where we are now. A coaching change may be the only thing that gets this team to succeed. I agree one of the problems is inconsistency (Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, Leino, Ennis, etc.), but this team is far too talented to be playing the way they have. It's not just the players.
This is pretty much where I'm at as well. I've been trying to keep giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, but the pattern is obvious. The team stops skating whenever it gets a lead, and its not like they're executing a suffocating trap either. They don't forecheck, don't effectively clog the neutral zone, don't hold the blueline, and don't efficiently clear the zone.

As we saw in the 1st half of the game, they can be dangerous when they get hot. But any dominance is always fleeting.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I'm not at all "the sky is falling type", typically quite the opposite.

But something has got to change with this team, something is not right and it goes way beyond injuries. I don't know if it's chemistry, I don't know if it's Ruff, I don't know what it is. But status quo is not going to be enough to shake this team to wake up. It's more than just losing games, the way they're doing it just makes it painful to watch. I will watch every single game because I love watching, and I love this team, but it's been a while since I've been this unenthused watching the games.

Perfect example was Stafford's game tying goal against Philly, I was excited but there is just a constant feeling of impending doom watching this team.
I'm feeling the same way right now.

Though I didn't feel the impending doom against Philly and did get excited after that goal, today was a different story.

minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Whammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Aaaand another on the wagon.
On what wagon? At what point in time is enough enough? Good coaches get fired. Even ones that have one championships.

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Whammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
I suggest that Regier is part of the problem...I don't want him calling the shots on a rebuild of the team, cause while they'll have different nameplates on the back, they'll be the same type of player as they are now. And 5 years wasted on a rebuild to get back to where things are now. Doubly so with Ruff still coaching.

tl;dr Fire Ruff, Fire Regier, fire sale time.
Darcy is a HUGE part of the problem. I think he is part Asian as where he wants to save face by not admitting that he has failed by choosing the core players he has given outrageous contracts to.

I dunno.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:01 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
On what wagon? At what point in time is enough enough? Good coaches get fired. Even ones that have one championships.
No no. The its time for a new coach wagon. Im totally on that wagon, been there for a looooooooooooong time.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:03 PM
joshjull

Quote:
No no. The its time for a new coach wagon. Im totally on that wagon, been there for a looooooooooooong time.
I'm envisioning you sitting just behind Jame and sba. They are up on the drivers bench whipping the horse to get wagon up to speed.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Whammer

Quote:
My bad. After I hit "submit" I was wondering if I maybe took your post wrong. My apologies. Frustration.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:05 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
I think he is part Asian as where he wants to save face by not admitting that he has failed by choosing the core players he has given outrageous contracts to.

I dunno.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:09 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Add to the ugly

-Ruff's obssession with Grags. He dresses him as a 7th dman to play on the 4th line just to keep him on the PP. Why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Why the **** is he out there ahead of Ehrhoff on the top PP unit? you know the big UFA offenisve dman we signed thats a very good PP point man. I DON'T ****ING UNDERSTAND!!!!!!

That was cathartic
Wow. I'm impressed! AMEN.

ShaPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Here are some of the FNC lowlights this year. A big pile of So, how many points have we pissed away at home?

12/13 vs Ottawa: 2-3 (OTL) - Led 2-1 entering 3rd. Outshot 30-8 from midpoint of 2nd period.

12/10 vs NY Rangers: 1-4 (L) - Two SHG against, including the game-winner.

12/7 vs Philadelphia: 4-5 (OTL) - Led 3-0 after the first 19:58.

11/29 vs NY Islanders: 1-2 (L) - Tied 1-1 in the 3rd against a bottom-feeder. Can't get even a point and lose in regulation.

11/23 vs Boston: 3-4 (OTL) - Led 3-1 with 4 mins remaining in 2nd period. Outshot 25-14 in final two periods.

11/19 vs Phoenix: 2-4 (L) - Led 2-1 with 12 mins remaining in 2nd period. Regulation loss.

10/29 vs Florida: 2-3 (L) - Led 2-1 with 4 mins remaining in 3rd period. Can't even get a point, and lose in regulation.

10/27 vs Columbus: 4-2 (W) - Led 2-0 with 10 mins left in 2nd. Allow CBJ to tie it with 10 mins left. Outshot 43-26 against the worst eam in hockey.

10/25 vs Tampa Bay: 3-4 (L) - Led 2-0 in the first three minutes of the game. Rout is on. Errr, regulation loss.

10/14 vs Carolina: 3-4 (L) - Two SHG against. Tie it up with 2:21 left, take silly offensive zone penalty, lose in regulation.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Zip15

If I could come up with twenty reasons why we lost tonight, Gragnani wouldn't make the list. Why are half the posts in this thread about Gragnani? Is it a nervous tick? Is it just easier? The guy played ten minutes in a 4th line role with some PP minutes. Our PP suckitude isn't limited to Grags, either.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
If I could come up with twenty reasons why we lost tonight, Gragnani wouldn't make the list. Why are half the posts in this thread about Gragnani? Is it a nervous tick? Is it just easier? The guy played ten minutes in a 4th line role with some PP minutes. Our PP suckitude isn't limited to Grags, either.
For the same reason you insist on defending him for one reason or another in every thread possible.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Whammer

Quote:
Agreed that Grags was not why they lost, but as JJ pointed out why he is on the ice for some situations is mind boggling. There are deeper issues than Grags right now for this organization that need to be addressed, and that includes the coach and GM.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
For the same reason you insist on defending him for one reason or another in every thread possible.
He didn't do much worth talking about in this game, yet many are still talking about him. Why? Yeah, I'm going to point out the stupidity of that. Sorry. Don't like it? Use the ignore feature.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:24 PM
joshjull

Cut out the personal crap

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:24 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Here are some of the FNC lowlights this year. A big pile of So, how many points have we pissed away at home?

12/13 vs Ottawa: 2-3 (OTL) - Led 2-1 entering 3rd. Outshot 30-8 from midpoint of 2nd period.

12/10 vs NY Rangers: 1-4 (L) - Two SHG against, including the game-winner.

12/7 vs Philadelphia: 4-5 (OTL) - Led 3-0 after the first 19:58.

11/29 vs NY Islanders: 1-2 (L) - Tied 1-1 in the 3rd against a bottom-feeder. Can't get even a point and lose in regulation.

11/23 vs Boston: 3-4 (OTL) - Led 3-1 with 4 mins remaining in 2nd period. Outshot 25-14 in final two periods.

11/19 vs Phoenix: 2-4 (L) - Led 2-1 with 12 mins remaining in 2nd period. Regulation loss.

10/29 vs Florida: 2-3 (L) - Led 2-1 with 4 mins remaining in 3rd period. Can't even get a point, and lose in regulation.

10/27 vs Columbus: 4-2 (W) - Led 2-0 with 10 mins left in 2nd. Allow CBJ to tie it with 10 mins left. Outshot 43-26 against the worst eam in hockey.

10/25 vs Tampa Bay: 3-4 (L) - Led 2-0 in the first three minutes of the game. Rout is on. Errr, regulation loss.

10/14 vs Carolina: 3-4 (L) - Two SHG against. Tie it up with 2:21 left, take silly offensive zone penalty, lose in regulation.
Hafta admit I started to look this up about 45 minutes ago but was too frustrated to continue.

Brutal.

Thanks for the info. Though.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

tough loss, but I don't know what else the Sabres can do to improve. TO me, it looked like they played a pretty great game, if Leino looked like he cared about scoring a goal or two. As a team, the Sabres were pretty darn good. The result just sucks.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:26 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm envisioning you sitting just behind Jame and sba. They are up on the drivers bench whipping the horse to get wagon up to speed.
Hahaha. I will admit, ive probably wanted Ruff gone just as long as Jame but since wasnt an avid poster on here before now he's got me beat.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
This. I mean, I have been on the Gragnani hatewagon from the beginning (I said he should have been a scratch game 1 to balance PMD - stay at home) but today he didn't do anything of relevance. He whiffed one semi-decent change and contributed with 9 others to a completely terrible power play. There were far bigger problems tonight.

Last edited by thefifagod: 12-13-2011 at 10:55 PM.
thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Zip15

Leino 1-9 on faceoffs tonight. Gotta be better than that. Other faceoff numbers:

Gaustad: 10-5
Roy: 9-6
Szczechura: 5-3
Stafford: 2-1

Old
12-13-2011, 10:31 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
WTF is wrong with Vanek and Stafford, by the way? Their vanishing for dozens of games at a time is mind-boggling. There are two players who are either on top of the mountain or in the middle of death valley.
Vanek needs a decent pivot player.
Stafford plays with Roy, so he has no excuse

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Leino 1-9 on faceoffs tonight. Gotta be better than that. Other faceoff numbers:

Gaustad: 10-5
Roy: 9-6
Szczechura: 5-3
Stafford: 2-1
God that's terrible, good to know management thought he could be our #1/#2 center...

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote