HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

COACHES and other nonsense.

View Poll Results: Better options?
Davis Payne 0 0%
Todd Nelson 7 9.09%
Ted Nolan 3 3.90%
Wayne Gretzky 10 12.99%
Andy Murray 2 2.60%
Ed Olczyk 0 0%
Bob Hartley 0 0%
Marc Crawford 3 3.90%
other coach 8 10.39%
Renney & Co. are doing ok. 44 57.14%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
I can't believe some people picked Marc Crawford, gross.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:02 PM
nullterm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I can't believe some people picked Marc Crawford, gross.
Atleast we know he isn't afraid of sending out a player to goon it up.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Horseradish

I'd rather see a coach who's earned his stripes from Junior Hockey, up the pro ranks, and is now sitting as an AHL head coach.

That's IF I had to choose. I like Renney, to be honest. I just wish he'd follow his techniques that have made him successful- line-matching heavily, analysis-based systems, etc. He's gotten away from that both last year and over the past 15 games this year. It was a huge reason why he was successful in NYR and over the first 15 games this year.

I also like Krueger as a potential replacement. He did wondrous things with that Swiss team consistently. They rarely got away from the game that allowed them success and consistently improved under his tenure.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:34 PM
SometimesY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
I'd rather see a coach who's earned his stripes from Junior Hockey, up the pro ranks, and is now sitting as an AHL head coach.

That's IF I had to choose. I like Renney, to be honest. I just wish he'd follow his techniques that have made him successful- line-matching heavily, analysis-based systems, etc. He's gotten away from that both last year and over the past 15 games this year. It was a huge reason why he was successful in NYR and over the first 15 games this year.

I also like Krueger as a potential replacement. He did wondrous things with that Swiss team consistently. They rarely got away from the game that allowed them success and consistently improved under his tenure.
Do you mean Nelson?

Krueger had the helm briefly last year (one game) and he followed Renney's game plan (he didn't have time to change it). But what was the 'game that allowed them success'? I've heard that he did wonders with the Swiss, but what sort of coach is he? He seems very friendly with the guys on Oil Change. I guess what I'm wondering what are his strengths. Are there any Swiss team fans around that can help us out with that?

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 06:49 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
"I'll take it from here Krueg" Tom Renney after Game 20

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:02 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
I'd probably give him a B rating overall. I like him overall, with a couple of beefs that include being slow to make obvious line-up changes (Belanger on the PP, starting Bulin down the stretch last year, etc) and the way he handles TOI for certain players.

That list is truly atrocious though. For all those calling for Renney's head, take a look at the sad crop of potential replacements first.
Yea to me personality wise he is the right guy. This isn't a guy who has issues dealing with motivation, or not implementing the right type of system.

I mean talent is there, maybe add some pieces. Right now its development, and transitioning from knowing how to lose close games, to how to win close games, how to beat divisional opponents, getting right line combinations, ect

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:15 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
Yea to me personality wise he is the right guy. This isn't a guy who has issues dealing with motivation, or not implementing the right type of system.

I mean talent is there, maybe add some pieces. Right now its development, and transitioning from knowing how to lose close games, to how to win close games, how to beat divisional opponents, getting right line combinations, ect

Have you watched the last 8 or so games?

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:43 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

Have you watched the last 8 or so games?
This team doesn't have everyone clicking at the same time. Are you talking about Hemsky. Smyth looks like he has overachieved long enough. Horcoff does what he does. Eberle, RNH, Jones, Eager, Dubnyk all good to me.

To me this team still lacks talent. There exactly where they should be I didn't expect a playoff berth this year. Too many teams with too much depth this team is in that 6-10 range in draft picks which is improvement.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:53 PM
alexo

I don't think they lack talent at all. They just lack experience.

(not directed at the person above) People need to be more patient around here. Some of you guys expect us to go from 30th place to cup winners over night, just because we added two great Ryans.

Give it more time. Renney showed that he can coach quite well when he took this abysmal defense (on paper) and turned it around. This team has made astronomical special teams improvements as well. Consistency is a problem... but I think that is something that I expected. I didn't expect this team would really be this close in the playoff mix though.

Are there problems with the team? For sure. But things are headed in the right direction.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Eirhead*

Hall re-entering the lineup. I wanna see the team with Potter / Whitney / Hall all in form. We haven't had the pleasure of seeing more than 1 at a time at any point this season (Whitney still isn't )

Last edited by Eirhead*: 12-14-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Perfect_Drug

Call me crazy, but I want to see an actual NHL coach with NHL experience, with NHL youth, and had some degree of success.

Michel Therrien is someone I'd consider before anyone on that list, and even he wouldn't be a top choice of mine.

When Bryan Murray gets fired, he would be an awesome coach.

Renney won't be that coach that takes us to that next level. He's never been a coach that's been able to do that anywhere.

Perfect_Drug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Wyrm

There is a possibility that the Sharks will fire Todd McLellan after this season. In that case, it would be worth considering his candidacy as well.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Call me crazy, but I want to see an actual NHL coach with NHL experience, with NHL youth, and had some degree of success.

Michel Therrien is someone I'd consider before anyone on that list, and even he wouldn't be a top choice of mine.

When Bryan Murray gets fired, he would be an awesome coach.

Renney won't be that coach that takes us to that next level. He's never been a coach that's been able to do that anywhere.
Both guys who did ok with good rosters, but not so good otherwise. Meh. In all fairness to Renney, he took the Rangers into the post season every season but his first.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:26 AM
dobiezeke*

Three head coaches in three years - how exactly do you think bringing a fourth coach/system to the Oilers would be effective? What team has gone on to be successful in the NHL that repeatedly fires/hires coaches?

Boston/Chicago/San Jose/Vancouver/Pittsburgh...not one of these teams rotates coaches on a yearly basis. I'm not saying Renney is the be all/end all however I can't imagine the upheaval for the team and the uncertainty of coaches systems/expectations does anything for bringing a team together.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:44 PM
no doubt about it

[QUOTE=PrV;40818045]I agree with MettleOiler, Paajarvi needs direction. He's definitely bought into the defensively responsible game. If anything Renney needs to tell him to take a couple risks and be more aggressive on the the attack. Or if he's going to get sat every other game, just send him down to OKC. But what they're doing right now isn't good development imo.[/QUOT

The coach has to put the player in a position to succeed. Renney may not have put Paajarvi in that position consistently but the player has to take the time and prove that he can make the best of it. Too many games this year Magnas has got to the top of the circle and fired a 50 mph wrist shot at an NHL goalie. I am sure that more people than Renney have told him to drive to the net or blast it when he has the chance. On that he has not shown the ability to take direction.

no doubt about it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:49 PM
windjackass
Hiss Hiss Hiss

Seeing Messier behind the Oilers bench in a suit is something I'd like to see someday, but Renney and co. are doing good for now.

windjackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:56 PM
TheNumber4

One of the most refreshing things about Renney since the MacT days, is his obvious intelligence. He never says things like MacT said. Like if the Oilers had a really bad game but ended up winning MacT would just as well say they played well. Whereas Renney would say, yeh we won, but we have so many things to work on. He is really good at keeping a realistic view on the teams performance. He also doesn't throw players under the bus like MacT used to.

TheNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
No option for Kevin Lowe?

He was a pretty decent coach, and he really seems like the type of guy who could get our team fired up every night.

Fire Renney and replace him with Lowe as the Interim Head Coach, and give the job to Todd Nelson in the offseason.
That's an intriguing idea, though I'd give Renney one or two more years before doing this and only axe him if we have a competitive lineup and are near the bottom.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:12 AM
GMofOilers

I like Renney but love Babcock

Heres a quote from him this morning

Quote:
“Everybody in today’s NHL - owners, management – thinks they have a team that can make the playoffs.”

“I hate to break the news, but for some teams, it’s not true.”

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Perfect_Drug

I wouldn't mind us picking up the recently fired Jacques Martin for the development of some of our younger players. He did a great job in developing Alfredsson, Hossa, Spezza, Havlat, Chara, Redden, ..

Unfortunately he's from the "defensive straight jacket" school of coaching that Renney employs.

Last edited by Perfect_Drug: 12-17-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Perfect_Drug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Speaking of Jacques Martin, he is the Habs 2nd coach in 5 years.

They go through a fair number of coaches.

12-18-2011, 01:07 PM
awesomo
HARD!

This is my problem

Quote:
dantencer Dan Tencer
Oilers have the day off today before hosting Detroit tomorrow night at Rexall Place.
you lost a game where your D coverage was horrible. And you play one of the hottest teams in the NHL. Maybe you should be preparing for it instead of giving the boys a day off. The team just had many days off and sucked. Your PK is struggling, and your players are taking idiotic penalties. Will get ripped apart by Wings

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I don't know who the other option would be for head coach but I sure as hell am getting sick of Renney and Co. mighty fast.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Hockey Nightmare

wrong thread

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:22 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I'm ok with Renney for the rest of this season, but he shouldn't be around any longer than that. I think he's a guy that can help young, new players coming into the league, but isn't the best at getting results out of experienced players. By next season, Hall & Eberle will have two seasons under their belt and RNH will have gotten his feet wet in the league, time to bring somebody in who can start bringing results.

I'd go after Randy Carlyle. Problem is, he will likely be off the market by this off season.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote