HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Does the average kid have the best chance to go pro in hockey?

Old
12-13-2011, 07:31 AM
silkyjohnson50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
This is silly. Bigger, but stronger? In some ways, perhaps. An NFL lineman is going to bench more than your typical NHL center. But that NHL center is going to have much, much stronger fast twitch muscles. And I would be willing to bet that as a whole, NHLers can cream NFL and NBA players in squats and leg presses.

Bodies, muscles and training can be manipulated in many ways, and training is sport specific. If Lebron, Moss and the like grew up playing hockey, they would look much more like hockey players- much smaller upper bodies, much thicker and denser legs. The reason you don't think of NHLers as super strong freaks is because they work out their legs- much less sexy and obvious then big biceps, but much more useful.
Obviously the sport that you train for is going to effect your particular strengths, but the most physically gifted athletes do not play hockey. A guy like Lebron has had a man's body before he had any type of workout plan. Did you see him in the 11th grade when they used to play his games on ESPN? I'm sorry, but playing basketball doesn't give you that type of body. He was born with physical gifts.

I'd absolutely love to see some evidence that NHL players would cream them in squats. Lebron has tree trunks for legs, Moss was said to squat 425 (and he was a lengthy WR, not a thick one like a Terrell Owens), and even a small WR like Desean Jackson squats 400. NFL RB's pretty much all have enormous legs and i'm only talking about two of the skilled positions here. Not even taking into account the athletic TEs, defensive backs, and linebackers.

Take a look at this: 6'3, 250. 4.38 40yd dash, 465lb bench press, and oh yeah, a 685lb squat. I can't even put into words how ridiculous all of that is. These were from a pass catching TE. Granted, he's a freak of nature, but the point being that you won't find anyone anywhere close to that in hockey. Not even remotely close. And that guy is an athlete, not a lineman.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:40 PM
goguls

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
As an American, I think the biggest disadvantage of making it in hockey is the fact that hockey doesn't reach the majority of kids. Whether for financial reasons or for the fact that other sports are flat out of more popular, the average athlete in America never even plays hockey. Obviously this doesn't apply to other countries where hockey is bigger.

From an athletic standpoint i can understand the argument.

I'll just sum it up like this:

If all of the NHL's players grew up playing other sports rather than hockey (particularly football and basketball), the NBA and NFL wouldn't look much different than it does today.

However, if all of the players in the NBA and NFL grew up playing hockey, the NHL would look drastically different.
Pretty much my views. Although, maybe the word drastic is a bit extreme, still agree though.
Can you imagine someone like LeBron James as a powerforward in the NHL?
Imagine him driving the puck to the net...I mean what the hell do you even do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I'm not talking about endurance, I'm talking about athleticism. I've known a few professional football players, and I've been around a number of professional baseball and basketball players. The football and basketball players were all freakish athletes/human beings, not anything like you, me or even a high level amateur players in their sports. They were different down to their DNA, so to speak. I've also been around a fair number of professional hockey players. None of them have struck me as freakish athletes.

Also, I'm not saying there aren't natural traits that predispose people to be better at hockey. There clearly are. But relative to the others, which was his point, they are slightly less important. Slightly.
Also agree.
The bolded is what I think it comes down to for the NFL and NBA.

goguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
This is silly. Bigger, but stronger? In some ways, perhaps. An NFL lineman is going to bench more than your typical NHL center. But that NHL center is going to have much, much stronger fast twitch muscles. And I would be willing to bet that as a whole, NHLers can cream NFL and NBA players in squats and leg presses.

Bodies, muscles and training can be manipulated in many ways, and training is sport specific. If Lebron, Moss and the like grew up playing hockey, they would look much more like hockey players- much smaller upper bodies, much thicker and denser legs. The reason you don't think of NHLers as super strong freaks is because they work out their legs- much less sexy and obvious then big biceps, but much more useful.
You've obviously not spent any time around NFL players. I've played basketball with some NFL linemen that would run a faster 40 than any center in the NHL. And that bolded part above? Have you ever even been in a college football weight room?

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote