HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would all those who mocked me for saying Desharnais could make it in the NHL stand up

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2011, 10:50 PM
  #26
Habiton
Registered User
 
Habiton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
I never said he wouldn't make the nhl but outside of playing with our two most consistent and best wingers tend to do that. Heck even Gomez was on pace for over 60 points playing with patches. He is softer than butter. Can't for the life of him play defense. He has great offensive vision though. However he is two weak and small to be a legitimate top six forward. Look at Eller and Plekanec who make things happen without great line mates. Thats a true nhl top six forward.

If we had a non biased coach and would be our third line center and on every nhl team if he would even make it

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:53 PM
  #27
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
I never said he wouldn't make the nhl but outside of playing with our two most consistent and best wingers tend to do that. Heck even Gomez was on pace for over 60 points playing with patches. He is softer than butter. Can't for the life of him play defense. He has great offensive vision though. However he is two weak and small to be a legitimate top six forward. Look at Eller and Plekanec who make things happen without great line mates. Thats a true nhl top six forward.

If we had a non biased coach and would be our third line center and on every nhl team if he would even make it
...Certainly not this year...

Was Cole any good before playing with Desharnais (this season)?

You DON'T CHANGE THAT LINE. IT WORKS.

That is it.

DD can probably not handle more IT than he does... at least, at this point.

And... Biased coach, really? If there's a thing JM did right this season, it was to demote Gomez from the Top-6 to insert DD!!!

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:59 PM
  #28
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,233
vCash: 500
Gotta admit. Thought he'd be a good story for a bit and then get lost in the sea called "the minors" ... He's won me over after a rough start. He's a centre and he deserves his ice-time. And his faceoffs have been stronger each game. He's a smart player and that's what you need to be when you have a physical disadvantage.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:03 PM
  #29
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,010
vCash: 50
This would be more impressive with links. If you called it in 2009 it'd be pretty cool.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:06 PM
  #30
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Would all those who mocked me for saying Desharnais could make it in the NHL stand up

Does this mean the ones who agreed with you should sit down?

Actually, I agreed with so much that I'll go lie down.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:09 PM
  #31
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,204
vCash: 500
chiming in to say I'm one of his biggest supporters!

always have to defend him against my friends. they still probably won't concede that he's beating the odds.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:13 PM
  #32
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
I never said he wouldn't make the nhl but outside of playing with our two most consistent and best wingers tend to do that. Heck even Gomez was on pace for over 60 points playing with patches. He is softer than butter. Can't for the life of him play defense. He has great offensive vision though. However he is two weak and small to be a legitimate top six forward. Look at Eller and Plekanec who make things happen without great line mates. Thats a true nhl top six forward.

If we had a non biased coach and would be our third line center and on every nhl team if he would even make it
To this I would say he DOES make stuff happen. Out of nothing. Cole and Patches benefit from having such a creative center and boy does he battle. I love Pleks and I think it's good to have TWO cerebral centers who use craftiness rather than size. For the time being (damn Montoya's toe), Eller still needs AK. Pleky isn't scoring goals himself either. That's what pleks and dd have in common, they work hard and smart and feed their linemates often.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:17 PM
  #33
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,579
vCash: 500
I was on the Desharnais bandwagon long before you, my friend, so I'll continue sitting.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:18 PM
  #34
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
He's playing quite well, but there are some areas in his game that he struggles at. They're hidden a bit because he has 2 big guys on his wings.
There's so much baloney in that sentence it's fattening just reading it.

Why don't we put Gomez between those two and see how they do. On more than one occasion Patches has credited DD and so has Cole. DD has the best vision & offensive hockey sense on this team. I'd say those two skills are elite. His stickhandling is excellent. As is his passing. His head on skating is above average but his quickness is top notch.

Yeah, he's small if he wasn't he would have been a top 5 pick. Very few players in the NHL have elite skills in every category. They're usually the generational talents. Every other player has flaws. DD's flaw is his size.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:29 PM
  #35
Coach Brisebois*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Desharnais + Gomez is perfect 2a 2b Center combo, with Pleks that's a solid three years before we have to worry about Eller scoring.

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:29 PM
  #36
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
I'm really getting tired of people saying that DD is only playing well because he's with our two best wingers, as if he's only a product of his wingers.

MaxPac and Cole were not supposed to be our two best wingers. Sure DD is helped by Cole and MaxPac, but I never hear about how DD is helping them. I also think Cammalleri has played his best hockey when he's been put with Cole and DD.

Lets just give the guy some credit. He has his shortcomings physically, but he is getting alot out of himself and he is NOT just a product of his linemates.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:32 PM
  #37
Patccmoi
Registered User
 
Patccmoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
I never said he wouldn't make the nhl but outside of playing with our two most consistent and best wingers tend to do that. Heck even Gomez was on pace for over 60 points playing with patches. He is softer than butter. Can't for the life of him play defense. He has great offensive vision though. However he is two weak and small to be a legitimate top six forward. Look at Eller and Plekanec who make things happen without great line mates. Thats a true nhl top six forward.

If we had a non biased coach and would be our third line center and on every nhl team if he would even make it
Right now Eller makes things happen, but they rarely finish. It's partly his linemates, but it's partly him too. Still slightly too impatient with the puck when it comes to finishing, he often just shoot in the goalie's crest. He has good vision though and he defends the puck very well, I think that this lack of finish will actually take care of itself just with time and experience. I think Eller will become a good 2nd line center, but right now he's actually perfect as a 3rd center. He has the potential to create offense but is not relied upon for it (whereas Desharnais is and delivers, Eller did not enough when he had the chance), and his defensive play is much stronger than Desharnais's, so he can be used against top opposition with a defensive focus whereas Desharnais can go against 3rd lines with an offensive focus (they don't always play it like that, but often enough). It's a good mix, no reason to change it while it's working.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:35 PM
  #38
Habs Junkie
Registered User
 
Habs Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Plekanec >>>>> Desharnais
Eller >>>>>> Desharnais
Nokalinen>>>>> Desharnais
Even Gomez >>>>> Desharnais

No legit team would have Desharnais on any of their 4 lines as a center. Maybe a winger? I doubt that too. Say what you want but he is in way over his head.


Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 12-13-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:51 PM
  #39
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
He's not a true centerman to me because he NEEDS guys with size on his line in order to be successful.
Yes but it's not like there's a size limit on a roster. So get some big go-to players on the team to complement DD and Plex, instead of positional softies. I love DD's play. A great Hab heart beats in the guy!

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:52 PM
  #40
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Plekanec >>>>> Desharnais
Eller >>>>>> Desharnais
Nokalinen>>>>> Desharnais
Even Gomez >>>>> Desharnais

No legit team would have Desharnais on any of their 4 lines as a center. Maybe a winger? I doubt that too. Say what you want but he is in way over his head.
Trolling? Or is this your serious opinion??

I just read what someone wanted to trade DD for somewhere else.. He is a Habs fan..

DD, Cammy, Weber for Penner.

Bahahaha. Some people are really way too obsessed with size.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:14 AM
  #41
Habs Junkie
Registered User
 
Habs Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Trolling? Or is this your serious opinion??

I just read what someone wanted to trade DD for somewhere else.. He is a Habs fan..

DD, Cammy, Weber for Penner.

Bahahaha. Some people are really way too obsessed with size.
No trolling here, this is my opinion. I watched him closely at the game tonight and he is not an elite team's player. I'm not saying the Habs are elite but if they ever want to be they gotta start somewhere and your 2nd line center is pretty important ex: Vancouver, Boston,Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburg etc.
Look at their 2nd line centers and then look at Desharnais again. See the difference?
But I wouldn't expect you to understand Natey because like you've said many times before you watch the game on a 4inch screen and then look at the stats. But I actually go to the games quite often and know many season ticket holders who believe the same thing I do!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:26 AM
  #42
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
No trolling here, this is my opinion. I watched him closely at the game tonight and he is not an elite team's player. I'm not saying the Habs are elite but if they ever want to be they gotta start somewhere and your 2nd line center is pretty important ex: Vancouver, Boston,Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburg etc.
Look at their 2nd line centers and then look at Desharnais again. See the difference?
But I wouldn't expect you to understand Natey because like you've said many times before you watch the game on a 4inch screen and then look at the stats. But I actually go to the games quite often and know many season ticket holders who believe the same thing I do!
Wow, you've got some nerve. I watch the odd game on a small screen, maybe you should open your eyes and read before spitting out ********. Sound good?

I rarely miss a game, if ever.

I know lots of people who disagree with what you say. There are fans here who disagree with you too.

But since you're the almighty king lord of these forums, I will not question you. Sorry, let me how down to you.

And PS. Yes I see the difference. I see awesome kid in his first full year proving doubters wrong. You think Kesler was this good when he started in his league???

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:29 AM
  #43
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
No trolling here, this is my opinion. I watched him closely at the game tonight and he is not an elite team's player. I'm not saying the Habs are elite but if they ever want to be they gotta start somewhere and your 2nd line center is pretty important ex: Vancouver, Boston,Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburg etc.
Look at their 2nd line centers and then look at Desharnais again. See the difference?
But I wouldn't expect you to understand Natey because like you've said many times before you watch the game on a 4inch screen and then look at the stats. But I actually go to the games quite often and know many season ticket holders who believe the same thing I do!
He's not an elite player but Nokelainen, Eller and Gomez are? Please stop trolling.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:30 AM
  #44
MrExpos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
No trolling here, this is my opinion. I watched him closely at the game tonight and he is not an elite team's player. I'm not saying the Habs are elite but if they ever want to be they gotta start somewhere and your 2nd line center is pretty important ex: Vancouver, Boston,Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburg etc.
Look at their 2nd line centers and then look at Desharnais again. See the difference?
But I wouldn't expect you to understand Natey because like you've said many times before you watch the game on a 4inch screen and then look at the stats. But I actually go to the games quite often and know many season ticket holders who believe the same thing I do!
Lookout haters, this guy KNOWS THIS SH**!!1!!111

MrExpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:32 AM
  #45
tdecheno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
Come on....he's been decent. But the only reason is because we are stuck with Gomez's ridiculous cap hit. I'm sorry, but we're going nowhere with DD in a top 6 role, and he is useless in a bottom 6 role. He would be hard pressed to beat Hal Gill in a 100 yard dash....

tdecheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:38 AM
  #46
tdecheno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
If Gomez isn't hurt this thread doesn't even exist. I hate Gomez but the fact is DD would be on 3rd/4th line otherwise, with no PP time....He's just too slow for his size.

tdecheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:45 AM
  #47
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****
 
Rbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: București
Country: Romania
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk

dd Faceoff
view from my seat tonight right behind the glass

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:51 AM
  #48
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
This would be more impressive with links. If you called it in 2009 it'd be pretty cool.
1 year ago.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=852456&page=10
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=29530775
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=29526714

1 1/2 years ago.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=27548094

2 years ago.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=707426
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=22325095

Over 3 years ago.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=522338

about 4 years ago.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=486261&page=2
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=486261&page=3
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=11727724

Just for fun:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=18974611

That's all I found really, but I have had conversations with people which you can't find here..

I've been behind him since his first training camp.. It started out with a lot of heart and then the talent started to show with time..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:51 AM
  #49
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdecheno View Post
Come on....he's been decent. But the only reason is because we are stuck with Gomez's ridiculous cap hit. I'm sorry, but we're going nowhere with DD in a top 6 role, and he is useless in a bottom 6 role. He would be hard pressed to beat Hal Gill in a 100 yard dash....
Lol yet we can almost beat the stanley cup champions with a 38-point centre who is even less physical than DD a year ago?

I'm going to laugh when he scores 60 points and people still say he's too small to be useful. Wait, I'm already laughing.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:58 AM
  #50
Bloumeister
Certifiable
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: in a padded cell
Posts: 5,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
No trolling here, this is my opinion. I watched him closely at the game tonight and he is not an elite team's player. I'm not saying the Habs are elite but if they ever want to be they gotta start somewhere and your 2nd line center is pretty important ex: Vancouver, Boston,Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburg etc.
Look at their 2nd line centers and then look at Desharnais again. See the difference?
But I wouldn't expect you to understand Natey because like you've said many times before you watch the game on a 4inch screen and then look at the stats. But I actually go to the games quite often and know many season ticket holders who believe the same thing I do!
Thinly veiled brag about going to gam...

Make that BLATANT.

Glad to see that makes you an expert

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.