HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who have been the team's three best dmen to date?

Old
12-14-2011, 12:57 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Who have been the team's three best dmen to date?

Just curious - for as much as we **** on Gragnani, I think the unit as a whole, and other specific individuals, have done okay. Who have been the best three, in order in your eyes?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Just curious - for as much as we **** on Gragnani, I think the unit as a whole, and other specific individuals, have done okay. Who have been the best three, in order in your eyes?
In order?

1. Regehr
2. Sekera
3. Leopold

Other than 2-3 expected rookie mistakes, McNabb's been very steady IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:01 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
In order? Hmm. That's tough. The funny thing is, statistically (both in terms of the basic stats as well as the more advanced metrics) MAG has to be there. The Sabres are simply scoring more and conceding less when he's on the ice (coincidence or not).

For me though, I have to go Regher, Sekera, Ehrhoff. HM to Leopold, who's overall faced easier minutes than Gragnani, even.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:02 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

1. Regehr - has he had a bad game yet?
2. Sekera - playing a huge role, killing penalties and showing good instincts in our zone. Love him this year so far
3. Ehrhoff - minute machine who earned a lot of points for the fight against Ottawa, he has been fine after a slow start. Obviously would like to see more points out of him, but as a defenseman overall, he has shown his value

HM: McNabb, looks awesome to me so far, all things considered. Just need a bigger sample size

Old
12-14-2011, 01:03 AM
OpethianSabre20

1. Regehr
2. Sekera
3. Ehrhoff

Sekera and Ehrhoff are pretty much interchangable in the 2 & 3 spots, but I think these three guys have been without doubt, the team's best defensemen.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Leopold
Regehr
Sekera

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:27 AM
joshjull

I agree with the previous posts; Regehr, Ehrhoff and Sekera.

Ehrhoff has been disappointing on the PP to this point. But I put that on Ruff more than him.

We need Myers back and on his game. We are such a different team when he is going.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:30 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
We need Myers back and on his game. We are such a different team when he is going.
we are, but I don't think the unit has been bad with or without him. Our lapses on D tend to come from blown assignments at the hands of our forwards, and our obvious overwhelming downfall is the lack of offense.

Old
12-14-2011, 01:31 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Ehrhoff, Sekera, and Regehr

e: I see I'm not alone in this

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:39 AM
joshjull

Quote:
we are, but I don't think the unit has been bad with or without him. Our lapses on D tend to come from blown assignments at the hands of our forwards, and our obvious overwhelming downfall is the lack of offense.
I was thinking more along the lines of what he can do for us offensively when he is on his game.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:54 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Regehr. Had one bad game, can't think of any others.
Sekera. Had that weakass stretch of 3 bad/decent/bad games, other than that, he's been real solid.
Ehrhoff. His chippy side is becoming more visible, he should get rolling on the PP soon. Provided he plays there.

HM: Leo. I was not that impressed with him last season, despite the points I thought his defensive game was "meh".
However, he's been quietly steady in his own end this year, can't complain.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:55 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of what he can do for us offensively when he is on his game.
Without a doubt. His long stride on the rush that allows him to enter the zone with such ease is missed. Opponents have to back off a bit because he is deceptively fast breaking in.

I know it maybe sounds a bit crazy, but Myers going down has allowed us to witness the calm, appropriately-placed demeanor of McNabb.

Old
12-14-2011, 02:59 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
1. Regehr - Easily our best and most consistent. I've given my thoughts of him countless times already so you guys probably don't need to hear them again. He's a rock defensively. Couple that with physicality (has had some beautiful hits so far) and a mean streak (fought Malone, then Chara for God's sake) and he's easily a HUGE part of this team. My favorite player on the team, love him.
2. Sekera - Has played solid hockey the whole year and very consistently. Not chipping in as much offensively for an offensive defenseman but he's playing sound defense and he's playing a safe, steady game. Also joins the rush sometimes and never seems out of position going back the other way when he does so, or when he pinches.
3. Ehrhoff - I've got Sekera ahead of him only due to his slow start but he's been a lot better the past month. He's playing much better defensively and he's proving he can play a lot of minutes. Helps the transition big-time with his swift skating and puck-moving ability and as shown tonight, does have a bit of a mean streak when he gets angry. I loved that he stood up for Miller. He's not putting up as much offense lately, but I think that'll come in time. Love this guy.

Leopold has also been quite good, on both sides of the puck. It was definitely noticeable when he was out of the lineup with the injury. He easily makes the team much better back there. McNabb has also really impressed me; it's going to be real hard to send him back down. I feel he can do everything Weber does now and he's only a rookie. He's bigger than Weber and a bit more physical too. Doesn't look out of place up here at all.

Last edited by Rivet52: 12-14-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:32 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
1. Regehr - Easily our best and most consistent. I've given my thoughts of him countless times already so you guys probably don't need to hear them again. He's a rock defensively. Couple that with physicality (has had some beautiful hits so far) and a mean streak (fought Malone, then Chara for God's sake) and he's easily a HUGE part of this team. My favorite player on the team, love him.
2. Sekera - Has played solid hockey the whole year and very consistently. Not chipping in as much offensively for an offensive defenseman but he's playing sound defense and he's playing a safe, steady game. Also joins the rush sometimes and never seems out of position going back the other way when he does so, or when he pinches.
3. Ehrhoff - I've got Sekera ahead of him only due to his slow start but he's been a lot better the past month. He's playing much better defensively and he's proving he can play a lot of minutes. Helps the transition big-time with his swift skating and puck-moving ability and as shown tonight, does have a bit of a mean streak when he gets angry. I loved that he stood up for Miller. He's not putting up as much offense lately, but I think that'll come in time. Love this guy.

Leopold has also been quite good, on both sides of the puck. It was definitely noticeable when he was out of the lineup with the injury. He easily makes the team much better back there. McNabb has also really impressed me; it's going to be real hard to send him back down. I feel he can do everything Weber does now and he's only a rookie. He's bigger than Weber and a bit more physical too. Doesn't look out of place up here at all.
I hope Ehrhoff gets some respect around town for standing up for Miller tonight. Wasn't a dangerous bump at all, but you don't do that to the other team's goaltender. Ehrhoff enforced that without a second thought tonight.

I also hope he didn't hurt his hand on Greening's visor. His body language as well as heading right off to the dressing room (Greening went to the box) has me a little worried.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:58 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Leopold
Regehr

Ehrhoff

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:36 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I hope Ehrhoff gets some respect around town for standing up for Miller tonight. Wasn't a dangerous bump at all, but you don't do that to the other team's goaltender. Ehrhoff enforced that without a second thought tonight.

I also hope he didn't hurt his hand on Greening's visor. His body language as well as heading right off to the dressing room (Greening went to the box) has me a little worried.
I too was worried but I guess they said that he got cut from his visor when he and
Greening fell at the end of the fight... you can kind of see Ehrhoff's face smushed into his visor and the ice when he falls on him.

I really loved seeing that from Ehrhoff, should go a long way in that dressing room.

1) Regher
2) Sekera
3) Ehrhoff
4) Leopold

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:22 AM
Clock

Came in here to say what already appears to be a strong consensus. Regehr, Sekera, Ehrhoff, in that order.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:48 AM
HiddenInLight

Regehr, Sekera, Ehrhoff...HM to Leopold....If Stafford isn't careful I could see Ehrhoff getting his A

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Regehr
Ehrhoff
Sekera

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Sekera
Regehr
Leopold

HM: Ehrhoff

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
In order?

1. Regehr
2. Sekera
3. Leopold

Other than 2-3 expected rookie mistakes, McNabb's been very steady IMO.
Agreed all around. And Brady's giving them a lot of reasons to not send him back. The Hoff gets an HM due to the minutes he ate fairly well during the latest injury spat.

12-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Leopold is kind of like Lydman in that I can go weeks without realizing he's even out there, which is great for a defenseman. A lot of guys can learn from the way he takes away space from an attacking forward and is adept at making simple plays.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

how Leopold and Regher are not on everybodies top 2 list is beyond me. #3 is debateable but Sekera is supposed to b e a highly skilled d-man, but his offensive contributions should be 4-6 points higher if that's the case. Ehrhoff isn't lighting the world on fire either but he is getting a lot of shots on net and he's at least meeting his status quo.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Jame
Dream '16

honorable mention to McNabb who has made the gragnani decision look even stupider in limited time

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:03 AM
sk8haggard9

1. Regehr - Dude's been SOLID. Exactly the kind of player this team needed.

2. Ehrhoff - Aside from a mediocre start, Ehrhoff has been a workhorse for this team. He's putting up good numbers and his response to a Senator bumping into Miller at the end of the third last night was just icing on the cake. So excited to see him here for 9 more years. Ehrhoff at $4million is a complete steal

3. Andrej Sekera/Jordan Leopold - Reggie has been our most consistent and stable defensemen for the past two seasons. He's been playing really well in his own end and has great up ice rushes and outlet passes. Leopold has been great also, when playing. His pairing with Montador might have been our beset last season, and he is always an offensive threat, while still playing pretty solid defense.

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote