HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would all those who mocked me for saying Desharnais could make it in the NHL stand up

Old
12-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbk View Post

dd Faceoff
view from my seat tonight right behind the glass
Nice. Great seats!

You wouldn't happen to have seen this guy, by any chance? He was "watching Desharnais closely at the game tonight", so I figured he might have been sitting near you

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
1 year ago.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=852456&page=10
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=29530775
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=29526714

1 1/2 years ago.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=27548094

2 years ago.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=707426
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=22325095

Over 3 years ago.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=522338

about 4 years ago.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=486261&page=2
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=486261&page=3
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=11727724

Just for fun:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=18974611

That's all I found really, but I have had conversations with people which you can't find here..

I've been behind him since his first training camp.. It started out with a lot of heart and then the talent started to show with time..
Impressive... yet, according to some around here, you've been an irrational drooling DD fanboy all this time

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Slick Eller

He is skilled and GREAT vision....

But aside of that, whats so good about him? He doesn't have a good shot, he isn't scoring goal at all, play weaks along the board, easily tossed around in the slot, doesn't have the acceleration to create scoring chance by himself on the fly, he needs above average goal scoring winger to be noticeable on the ice. Yeah he is racking a couple of assists with highlight reel set-ups and he is able to protect the puck quite good for a guy of his size.

You can't deny that he is trying hard at getting better. But he isn't my kind of player, I also believe he isn't the kind of player you want on your top two line if you are serious about trying to win 16 games in the playoffs.

He is a average 2nd line centre, he is 25 years old and didn't had any stretch of consistency offensively in his career, albeit short.

I can see why les québécois likes him in general, he speaks french, work hards on the ice and flashy game. Unfortunately, most of the people who doesn't pay attention to small details would notice that he is struggling in the corners and along the board, both in his own zone and offensive zone. He can steal the puck away from opponent for a short time but he is rarely able to keep it long enough to do something, since he gets pushed and double teamed pretty quick and lose the puck.

Desharnais is still better than Gomez tho. So he is our 2nd line centre by default, its not his fault, he shouldn't play those minutes on a team that is supposedly on the right path to win a Championship.

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:26 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
He is skilled and GREAT vision....

But aside of that, whats so good about him? He doesn't have a good shot, he isn't scoring goal at all, play weaks along the board, easily tossed around in the slot, doesn't have the acceleration to create scoring chance by himself on the fly, he needs above average goal scoring winger to be noticeable on the ice. Yeah he is racking a couple of assists with highlight reel set-ups and he is able to protect the puck quite good for a guy of his size.

You can't deny that he is trying hard at getting better. But he isn't my kind of player, I also believe he isn't the kind of player you want on your top two line if you are serious about trying to win 16 games in the playoffs.

He is a average 2nd line centre, he is 25 years old and didn't had any stretch of consistency offensively in his career, albeit short.

I can see why les québécois likes him in general, he speaks french, work hards on the ice and flashy game. Unfortunately, most of the people who doesn't pay attention to small details would notice that he is struggling in the corners and along the board, both in his own zone and offensive zone. He can steal the puck away from opponent for a short time but he is rarely able to keep it long enough to do something, since he gets pushed and double teamed pretty quick and lose the puck.

Desharnais is still better than Gomez tho. So he is our 2nd line centre by default, its not his fault, he shouldn't play those minutes on a team that is supposedly on the right path to win a Championship.
He wins more puck battles than he loses. You just notice the ones he loses more because he gets tossed 500 feet in the air.

He's also the best player on this team in the faceoff circle at 51+%.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Cyclones Rock

I've been on his bandwagon since I watched him dominate in Cincinnati. I was almost certain that he'd be an impressive AHLer, and figured that he'd at least get a legitimate shot in the NHL. I had never seen a minor leaguer (Cincinnati has had numerous ECHL, AHL and IHL teams that I have watched) that had anything near DD's creativity. Not even close. Still, I was less certain that he'd have a long NHL career. Now I don't see any reason why he won't have a decent career in the NHL-based on how he has produced and how he has looked when I've seen him play. He's no Martin St. Louis, but with the right linemates and a highly functional power play, I can see him having 60 point potential.

It's ironic that the Cylcones had another player on that 07-08 squad who will someday be a regular in the NHL. Cedrick Desjardins-who has a one-way NHL contract and is playing for Lake Erie (Colorado)-was the other.

DD's vision was always what impressed me most about him. The pass that he made last night to Cole is what allows him to be in the NHL. I get a kick out of people complaining that he doesn't shoot enough. I had the same issue with him four years ago. Even though his shot isn't much, if he doesn't use it, then he diminishes his passing game. I would imagine this will be an ongoing issue throughout his career.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:57 AM
NotProkofievian

DD just has so much creativity that he's able to push the boundaries of what should be possible for him. The reason that he appears to still be developing at the age of 25-26 is that he's a problem solver. You put a problem in front of him and he naturally starts chipping away at it, pushing at the limits, finding out what he can and cannot do, and he always seems to find his way through this.

He's making plays now that he wasn't making at the beginning of the year, and was making plays then that he wasn't making the season before.

I'll stop expecting more out of him when he shows me there's nothing left. Until then, I really think he's only going to get better.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:48 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

+1 never thought he would amount for anything. Let alone going on a full season with respectable TOI and production. Improved his FO when needed. Guy is a pro.

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:57 AM
pavelbure44

I find it pretty funny that people can say that Desharnais is small and can't win battles along the boards, and then say Gomez is better than him. Really? Do you watch the games at all?

Sure, Desharnais sometimes gets tossed around, but at least he has the drive and vision to create some offense. All Gomez does is skate into the corner and lose the puck.

Desharnais > Gomez, and it's not even close. And every statistic you can look at, whether it's very specific microstats or just simple goals and assists will tell you that. Just looking at any game this season will tell you that.

pavelbure44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:06 AM
xa123

I'm so happy for DD, the guy is one of the most underrated players on the habs this year! I wasn't one of his biggest supporters but i'm more and more and impressed by him every game!

xa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:23 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I'm tired of arguing things like this. DD has been good. We have a guy we got for free, an underdog, undersized, undrafted and he's producing in the NHL. Yet, we find negatives. At first I thought he'd never make it but after last season in NHL i was convinced. It seems that people just want to hate on him for no reason. He's 5'6, okay? So is gerbe no? Oh wait, gerbe is 5'5, he doesn't belong in the NHL. None of these guys do, 5'7 gionta? wtf is he doing in the NHL? Now, with gionta we'll say he's proven right? So let DD prove himself. That's all. He's doing just fine. Our best center is on pace for 65 points this year, Desharnais is on pace for 47. That makes him AHL material.

Honestly, who cares if he's not an elite team's 2nd line center, we know. He's not malkin, he's not mike richards or any 1B center, hell, plekanec would be a 1B on these powerhouses, in some he'd be 3rd line C. So I guess that means we can't have DD because our roster can only consist of superstars. DD is just fine, he may not last as a 2nd line center, but he's a good player and I for one am happy for him. Get over your pointless hate and show some respect for the guy. Who cares if he's not Lars Eller, or Plekanec or Kopitar or whoever you wanna reference these weak. He's hustling out there and giving a good effort. I'd trade gionta for a bigger 2nd/3rd line guy before I trade DD and his dirt cheap contract and upside.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:35 AM
habsjunkie2*

Not convinced we'll ever win anything with him as a 2nd line center. I said it, sorry.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:35 AM
MXD

3 players exceeds expectations so far.

Pacioretty
Desharnais
Moen

Only one of them is a center.

We might not win anything with DD as a 2nd C. This said, he plays like our best C for quite a while this season.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:18 AM
neofury*

To be honest I don't recall many saying he wouldn't make the NHL but rather that he wouldn't be top 6er.

I can understand why because even now he's relying heavily on being on a line with two of our best players. That having been said, even I have to admit he's exceeded expectations in spite of that.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:26 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Henri Richard was also a bad center...
Stupidest comparison EVER on HF ! You have NO idea who H Richard was do you ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:33 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be honest I don't recall many saying he wouldn't make the NHL but rather that he wouldn't be top 6er.

I can understand why because even now he's relying heavily on being on a line with two of our best players. That having been said, even I have to admit he's exceeded expectations in spite of that.
Check the threads from 3-4 years ago. People said he had no chance to even play an NHL game.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Joe Cole

I did not mock you, but I never thought he could produce regularly. I was wrong.

I still think the Habs have the worst mix of centers. Plekanec, Gomez, Desharnais... Be truthful, if you were building a team, would you pick three undersized guys, when iur team is playing 82 games and playoffs in the Eastern Conference?

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
This comment is hard to beat...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I don't know if I ever posted it here, but I didn't think he'd be as good as he has been. I happily admit I was wrong.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Halifaxhab

I had my doubts that he would amount to anything more than a useful plug in for the 3rd line and token francophone. I would still prefer if Eller were producing the points Desharnais is now....but that will come.

In the mean time, at least JM pulled his massive (and empty) head out of his rear-end and lined him up with two large aggressive wingers with talent to open up the ice for him to make some of those plays.

I'll tell you this though, I would take Desharnais on his 850K contract and pure heart stle of play over Scott "now being out scored by Hal Gill" Gomez every second of the day

Halifaxhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:12 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I don't know if I ever posted it here, but I didn't think he'd be as good as he has been. I happily admit I was wrong.
Thing is, he's been improving nonstop. He's better now than at the season start. He was better a season start than last year.

Is he close to hit his ceiling? Being as small as he is, I'd be surprised.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:24 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Not necessarily, he was doing fine even when Cammalleri was floating on his line.

I was at the Bell Center when he played his first game and I've been a believer ever since. The guy has serious hockey smarts and gives his all every game.
This I agree 100%

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:27 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Thank you SIR !

You really don't get it...

I know and I saw Richard play... I was not compairing DD talent with Richard's awesome talent and grit.

Just size. Small centers can play in this league.

Last edited by hototogisu: 12-14-2011 at 08:41 AM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:32 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Not convinced we'll ever win anything with him as a 2nd line center. I said it, sorry.
Not convinced we gonna win anything with Pleks as a #1 center, either.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:38 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Not convinced we gonna win anything with Pleks as a #1 center, either.
Or Eller as third.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Or Eller as third.
(I'll play along)