HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Bourdon capable of being 5-6 defender?

Old
12-12-2011, 07:30 PM
flyersfan187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
With everyone healthy Bourdon should be our sixth D

Pronger/Carle
Kimmo/Coburn
Mez/Bourdon

that is a solid group there.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
With everyone healthy Bourdon should be our sixth D

Pronger/Carle
Kimmo/Coburn
Mez/Bourdon

that is a solid group there.
As of right now I like Gis over bourdon... but if bourdon keeps improving I wouldnt mind seeing him in the 6th spot.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Gert B Frobe

Bourdon is an awful lot like a young Dan McGillis (somebody mentioned this earlier) - though he doesn't run way out of position nearly as much. I'm sure he is being coached not to.

I don't understand why the Phantoms sucked so badly last year. It seems like call-ups have done well on the Flyers. Wellwood, Holmstrom, Bourdon, Kalinski, Rinaldo.

I'm assuming Bourdon played 1st pairing in Adirondack - maybe he's just more suited to a 3rd pairing role regardless of how much faster the NHL is...

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Bourdon is an awful lot like a young Dan McGillis (somebody mentioned this earlier) - though he doesn't run way out of position nearly as much. I'm sure he is being coached not to.

I don't understand why the Phantoms sucked so badly last year. It seems like call-ups have done well on the Flyers. Wellwood, Holmstrom, Bourdon, Kalinski, Rinaldo.

I'm assuming Bourdon played 1st pairing in Adirondack - maybe he's just more suited to a 3rd pairing role regardless of how much faster the NHL is...
Greg Gilbert. Once Joe Paterson came in, the team started doing remarkably better.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post

I don't understand why the Phantoms sucked so badly last year.
Remember why Lehtivuori and Maroon are no longer Flyers' prospects?

Greg Gilbert.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:13 PM
WeekendAtBernies

I think we can all agree now after the emergence of MAB that Pronger has become expendable.

Trade him for futures!

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
I'm loving it Even funnier seeing those people posting when he got sent to the ECHL "Never going to be an NHLer!" praise him now.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
I'm loving it Even funnier seeing those people posting when he got sent to the ECHL "Never going to be an NHLer!" praise him now.
Never visit BroadStreetHockey.com then. Had a big debate over Marshall vs Bourdon with them saying Marshal was "easily" the better player.

Sigh. Right now, Bourdon is easily the better player.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Never visit BroadStreetHockey.com then. Had a big debate over Marshall vs Bourdon with them saying Marshal was "easily" the better player.

Sigh. Right now, Bourdon is easily the better player.
The BSH guys are usually idiots.

I'm torn between Gus and MAB.

I'm biased towards MAB because i think he is physically able to handle NHL forwards in the corner. Also his positional play isn't bad either. Either way i hope these guys leap over Lilja and Walker.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:45 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post

I'm biased towards MAB because i think he is physically able to handle NHL forwards in the corner. Also his positional play isn't bad either. Either way i hope these guys leap over Lilja and Walker.
I think MAB has easily pushed Gus out of the job when Gus returns.

Don't get me wrong, I really really like Gus, but for a team already leading the NHL in scoring, I'll take the physical beast over the smaller PMD every single time.

Bourdon is dominating guys physically. I love the way he's throwing his weight around and really making guys like Ovie think twice about trying to drive the net on him.

Bourdon has been fantastic for us and has a mean streak about him. Definitely my choice for 6th defenseman when everyone is healthy.

Old
12-13-2011, 07:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
I think MAB has easily pushed Gus out of the job when Gus returns.

Don't get me wrong, I really really like Gus, but for a team already leading the NHL in scoring, I'll take the physical beast over the smaller PMD every single time.

Bourdon is dominating guys physically. I love the way he's throwing his weight around and really making guys like Ovie think twice about trying to drive the net on him.

Bourdon has been fantastic for us and has a mean streak about him. Definitely my choice for 6th defenseman when everyone is healthy.

Eh, obviously I disagree. Dont get me wrong, I like MAB, but I feel like Gustafsson's positioning and puck moving can be essential, especially when guys like Timonen might retire and Carle might not be back. Having a defense with just hard hitting guys never works out. The smaller guys who can put up some points while playing solid defense is good. If Carle is gone, Gustafsson can hopefully replace him and Gustafsson getting time right now I think is important. Its a shame. Right before he got injured, I truly felt he was going to solidify himself on the roster.

I still go with Gustafsson as #6. Before he was injured he was playing 18+ minutes a night and was starting to get time on the PP.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

That's fine but i have a feeling Gus could very well get exposed in front of the net. I've seen him get mugged in corners. His puck moving is good. I like it a lot. He is a smooth skater but he isn't on the Kimmo level of positioning. Both players have pros and cons. I just don't think we need any more offensive defenseman. We need some that have shutdown ability.

I really wouldn't mind either player getting the 6th spot. MAB or Gus. Just get Lilja and Walker the hell out the way.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:55 PM
healthyscratch

Maybe it's just me, but since they both were put in the lineup, I don't ever remember saying "oh man, Marshall again" or "jesus Bourdon". If anything they go unnoticed. And I mean that as a compliment. Nothing flashy, nothing terrible. Both have been fairly steady, if unspectacular. IMO. And that's good enough for me.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 07:57 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, obviously I disagree. Dont get me wrong, I like MAB, but I feel like Gustafsson's positioning and puck moving can be essential, especially when guys like Timonen might retire and Carle might not be back. Having a defense with just hard hitting guys never works out. The smaller guys who can put up some points while playing solid defense is good. If Carle is gone, Gustafsson can hopefully replace him and Gustafsson getting time right now I think is important. Its a shame. Right before he got injured, I truly felt he was going to solidify himself on the roster.

I still go with Gustafsson as #6. Before he was injured he was playing 18+ minutes a night and was starting to get time on the PP.
I agree. If I'm playing for the future, I'd go w/ Gus.

But realistically, we're going to make the playoffs this year and next year and beyond that. 82 games next year is plenty of time to prepare Gus (if Timonen does retire after this year... but most signs, including Kimmo's own comments, point to him staying 1 more year).

I'm playing for this year though. I think this team has as good a chance @ the cup as any in the Eastern Conference. And with the defense as it is currently constructed, I want MAB as my 6th. Having a good stay at home guy as your 6th that you can put out there in the playoffs can be essential. The PMD guys are usually in the top-4.

But I understand where you're coming from. And TBH, I won't be mad either way.

Just think how lucky we are to even be able to have this conversation right now... before the season MAB was considered a total bust by most and many people doubted he'd ever make an impact and Gus was a huge question mark too. Now we're arguing over which one we want to be the 6th defenseman on a contending team... and we're arguing over which one is better... not which one has been worse .

Old
12-13-2011, 08:50 PM
BringBackStevens

The play of gustaffson and bourdon make the lilja signing look even more retarded

Did the flyers really not have any clue of the capabilities of the guys in their own system?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Maybe it's just me ...... If anything they go unnoticed. And I mean that as a compliment. Nothing flashy, nothing terrible. Both have been fairly steady, if unspectacular. IMO. And that's good enough for me.
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY .. I DON'T fear them being out there .. seem solid enough to me .. experience will only make them better

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 08:59 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
The play of gustaffson and bourdon make the lilja signing look even more retarded

Did the flyers really not have any clue of the capabilities of the guys in their own system?
This, in part.

Homer has consistently illustrated that he is more knowledgeable about forwards instead of defensemen, in terms of prospects.

The last defensive pairing has been an issue since Homer took over. Like everything else, if you throw enough things at the wall, something has got to stick. We just pick up 35+ contracts.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:59 PM
lancer247

I always read that MAB's skating was horrible and couldn't play in the NHL. I know it's a small sampling but were the scouts overly critical or has his partners and Bryz really covered his short comings. Both Marshall and MAB appear mpre sound defensively then Bartulis was when he was called up.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:09 AM
bryzgalovsky*

I hope they keep both Gustafsson and Bourdon up.

Who says you have to replace one with the other, just change up pairings during the game to keep people fresh.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:33 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
I hope they keep both Gustafsson and Bourdon up.

Who says you have to replace one with the other, just change up pairings during the game to keep people fresh.
I guess people mean when/if we're fully healthy on d. Pronger-Carle, Timonen-Coburn, Meszaros-Gustafsson/Bourdon and Lilja as 7th d. No need to have one of the young guys in the press box.

When Gustafsson returns (assuming that is before Pronger will), he'll take Marshall's spot and when Lilja returns he'll take Walker's as our 7th d (I hope).

When it becomes time for Pronger to return, I guess we'll have a little more to evaluate Gustafsson and Bourdon from, seeing them on the team for a while together.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:44 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.com/

Very high praise from Kimmo and Lavvy

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:43 AM
kicksave27

The best thing you can say about them is that you don't really notice them doing anything negative. When you think of the horrible veteran Dmen that homer had to have around, vandemeer or modry. These kids are doing fine, really the only vet 6th guy who played decent for us was OD. I think homer actually chastised the fans for continually booing vandemeer and complaining till he "had" to trade him.

Marshall isn't that big of a guy for being a "physical" dman. MAB being from the Q i thought would have been more offensive, but he's mean, I like it.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:47 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Maybe it's just me, but since they both were put in the lineup, I don't ever remember saying "oh man, Marshall again" or "jesus Bourdon". If anything they go unnoticed. And I mean that as a compliment. Nothing flashy, nothing terrible. Both have been fairly steady, if unspectacular. IMO. And that's good enough for me.
unfortunately "wtf Carle?" is still one of my commonly used phrases

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:48 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I always read that MAB's skating was horrible and couldn't play in the NHL. I know it's a small sampling but were the scouts overly critical or has his partners and Bryz really covered his short comings. Both Marshall and MAB appear mpre sound defensively then Bartulis was when he was called up.
the problem with Bartulis is he isnt physical or strong

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:53 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.com/

Very high praise from Kimmo and Lavvy
Wow..thanks for finding that. I respect Timonen and his opinion so this is great to hear. To me Bourdon seems like a really confident guy. His demeanor gives off that vibe. Like how Snider shook his hand last night while he was being interviewed by Coatsey. Snider's gestures reminded me of Vito Corleone...

Quote:
"Over the last few games I think he's played like an NHL player, not a rookie," Kimmo Timonen said. "He's made some really good choices with the puck and without the puck. As an older guy I watch a lot of younger guys coming into the league and these are some of the things you watch. If they can't do them, it's going to be hard for them to have a long career. BUt once guys start making good plays, every time almost, and position-wise be in the right place all the time - these are things you cannot teach. It's hockey sense. He has it. He's going to have a long career."

That's high praise for Bourdon from one of the better defensemen of the past decade - and Timonen wasn't alone in his thinking and assessment.

"He's been rock solid," coach Peter Laviolette said. "His head is up. He makes a good first pass. He's physical. He looks really comfortable out there. His opportunity (to play in the NHL) has gone from some minutes, to increased minutes to someone that we count on and rely on. That's good for him and I'm happy for him... He's played terrific. He gets his first goal. There are a lot of positives."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote