HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Jeff Hackett

Old
12-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Dont Hinder Jinder

vCash: 307
Jeff Hackett

With the emergence of Matt Hackett on the Wild (nephew of Jeff), I was just wondering, what was the general HF consensus on Jeff Hackett. Apparently he had some health issues later on in his career (?) but otherwise, was he a skilled goaltender in his prime?

Dont Hinder Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:05 PM
MS

vCash: 500
A pretty average goalie.

He played fairly well in his three years as a starter (1997-2000) but I don't think anyone would have listed him as one of the top 10 goalies in the league. He did do very well in Montreal in probably the lowest ebb in team history before injuries caught up with him after 2000.

He suffered by comparison to the guys he replaced - Belfour in Chicago and got to Montreal only two years after Roy had been traded.

Probably a similar goalie in terms of impact to a guy like Chris Mason or Martin Biron ... if he's your starter he'll do a decent job and you won't be bottom-5 in the league in terms of goaltending, but is always sort of a temporary solution who isn't going to carry you to greater things, either.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:05 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Marchands Nose View Post
With the emergence of Matt Hackett on the Wild (nephew of Jeff), I was just wondering, what was the general HF consensus on Jeff Hackett. Apparently he had some health issues later on in his career (?) but otherwise, was he a skilled goaltender in his prime?
Decent goalie, should never have been more than a backup.

Distinct pattern of having one good/decent season, then getting outperformed and wearing out its welcome. Something of a bad team goalie.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:23 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Decent goalie, should never have been more than a backup.

Distinct pattern of having one good/decent season, then getting outperformed and wearing out its welcome. Something of a bad team goalie.
Would disagree with that - he was pretty clearly a legitimate starting goalie. Not an elite one, but at least an average one.

His numbers are actually much better relative to his peers than I remember :

1996-97 - 3rd of 28 goalies to play more than 40 games in save %
1997-98 - 5th of 32 goales
1998-99 - 16th of 26 goalies (dragged down by an awful start with Chicago, numbers in Montreal again in the top half of the league)
1999-00 - 7th of 28 goalies

Aside from his poor start with Chicago in 1998 before being traded, he was a consistently solid netminder from 1995-2000, until injuries completely derailed his career. Was never the same player after that.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:38 PM
MadLuke

from what I remember he was at one moment our biggest star and maybe best player on the Habs (that say a lot from the Habs of that time).

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Marchands Nose View Post
Retired due to vertigo, which still persists.

He currently coaches a minor hockey team, and my team actually faces them tomorrow afternoon.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Hoser

Looking back I wondered how Jeff Hackett would have faired, career-wise, if he hadn't been thrown into the proverbial lion's den as the Sharks starting goalie in their first season. Probably a lot more pressure than there should have been on a 23-year-old.

Post-'94-lockout he was one of the better backups in the league, and was actually a pretty good starting goalie in Montreal. He just wasn't the same after he hit his early 30s and injuries cut him down.

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:16 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

I remember watching Hackett get shelled playing for Chicago against the leafs then the next day was traded to Montreal. He actually surpassed my expectations in Montreal but he was a fairly hot/cold goalie.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:43 PM
mco543

I liked Hackett but I'll always remember him for having what I'd consider the worst season of any starting goalie ever playing for those 92-93 Sharks.

2-30-1 5.28 GAA .856 S%

It's amazing he went on to have as much success as he did after enduring that season.

mco543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:18 PM
CaptBrannigan

I'll always remember Hackett for the following dumb reason: He has a card listing he's on the Flyers, depicting him in a Boston jersey wearing his red and blue Montreal pads.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:39 PM
MakeTheGoalsLarger

His lateral movements were the fastest in the league at some point when he played with montreal. He made some spectacular saves. But he wasn't reliable.

He did not want anyone to talk to him on game day. Not a good team player as far as i know.

He was more or less the 10th best goalie in the league at his peak.

MakeTheGoalsLarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:15 PM
robsenz

He couldn't really hackett in the NHL

robsenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:33 PM
pdd

In 1997 he finished 5th in postseason all-star voting, and in 2000 he finished 10th in Vezina voting. He did not receive Vezina votes in 97 or AS votes in 2000.

At he was good enough to make Chicago willing to trade an aging Ed Belfour. Unfortunately he couldn't maintain his top-end performance due to his health issues. Maybe that's a thread we could have.

Make up a team of guys like Hackett, Jiri Fischer, Alexei Cherepanov, etc. who had their performance affected and/or retired because of health issues not related to injury.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Jeff Hackett's career started to come undone during the 99/00 season in my mind. He wasn't winning any games, and then Jose Theodore burst onto the scene and brought the team into playoff contention, but Alain Vigneault decided to start the veteran down the stretch even though Theodore was quite obviously superior. Hackett did not play very well down the stretch (I believe he started the last 14 in a row) and Montreal faded, losing to some questionable teams in the process. That was Hackett's chance to really establish himself, but didn't take advantage of it. The next year a combination of injury and Theodore continuing his stellar play reduced him to the role of seldom used backup, and the year after that if I remember correctly he suffered a broken collar bone while Theodore won the Hart.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:47 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Would disagree with that - he was pretty clearly a legitimate starting goalie. Not an elite one, but at least an average one.

His numbers are actually much better relative to his peers than I remember :

1996-97 - 3rd of 28 goalies to play more than 40 games in save %
1997-98 - 5th of 32 goales
1998-99 - 16th of 26 goalies (dragged down by an awful start with Chicago, numbers in Montreal again in the top half of the league)
1999-00 - 7th of 28 goalies

Aside from his poor start with Chicago in 1998 before being traded, he was a consistently solid netminder from 1995-2000, until injuries completely derailed his career. Was never the same player after that.
He was never a Vezina threat in any one individual season, but in the cumulative sense, he kept good company in his prime:

1995-2000

1. Hasek - .929
2. Hackett - .916
3. Roy - .915

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...er_by=save_pct

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:15 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
I'll always remember Hackett for the following dumb reason: He has a card listing he's on the Flyers, depicting him in a Boston jersey wearing his red and blue Montreal pads.

Check out the mask as well!

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheGoalsLarger View Post
His lateral movements were the fastest in the league at some point when he played with montreal. He made some spectacular saves. But he wasn't reliable.

He did not want anyone to talk to him on game day. Not a good team player as far as i know.

He was more or less the 10th best goalie in the league at his peak.
Interesting that Jeff's lateral movement was so quick; Matt's lateral movement was the fastest I've seen of any Wild goaltender. First thing that stood out to me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote