HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Milan Michalek- **Update** Out with Concussion

Old
12-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD19 View Post
They're playing with the same helmets as here... dont know what could be the difference except maybe the bigger ice
Bigger ice = less collisions

SEL = Less savage physicality

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:42 AM
starling

Isn't Zbynek also out with concussion?

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Minister of Offence

I've always argued they could make the rinks bigger, not Olympic sized.

But think about it...the rink hasn't changed size ever, that I'm aware of, but the speed of the game, the size of the players....all much faster/bigger.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:46 AM
DG

This is really bad for the NHL... (all of the concussions, not just MM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post

But think about it...the rink hasn't changed size ever, that I'm aware of, but the speed of the game, the size of the players....all much faster/bigger.
I agree that it would help, but I think it risks changing the way the game is played substantially.

That said, if the choice is between that and rashes of concussions, I think they'll have to strongly consider it...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:
Bigger ice = less collisions

SEL = Less savage physicality
i'd rather see this in NA than watch all the players put their long term health at serious risk every time they step on the ice.

i've been wishing for the move to the bigger ice for a while now, but get why it's so unlikely. less serious injuries is only one of the major benefits.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

I figure Michalek will be out for 2 games at the most.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:48 AM
SensFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
I figure Michalek will be out for 2 games at the most.
There's no timetable on concussions. Crosby was considered day to day in January.

SensFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:49 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan26 View Post
There's no timetable on concussions. Crosby was considered day to day in January.
Did I say there was a timetable? This is just what I figure.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
wouldn't more cushion, more air (pockets?) between the outer shell and head lessen the impact and severity of the concussion?
epp foam doesn't do much as far as i know.

just yesterday, before the game i was looking at messier's helmets, looking for a better solution to this. otherwise the game is too dangerous to play as is imo.
http://themessierproject.com/

If I was a pro hockey player and my livelihood depended on it, I'd be looking for the best equipment possible.

How often do pros change their helmets? After a certain number of 'collisions' don't they start to lose their integrity?

Players could start wearing them properly too.

Decent helmets wont prevent every concussion, but each one it does prevent has to be a good thing.

Sometimes you get the feeling that the NHLPA maybe doesn't really care? All just lip service.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:51 AM
topshelfie

not a fan of full cages but a helmet with a chin guard would help quite a bit, also mouthguards

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:

it only makes sense that the bigger, faster, stronger the players on the ice get the less room there is to move around. as the mass of the 12 players on the ice grows, so should their arena. otherwise you get what we have now.

on larger ice you get more creativity, more skating, more passing plays, and less crashing into each other. the hits are still there, but they take more skill and timing.
the bigger ice wouldn't solve the problem of concussions 100%, but it would definitely help as well as make the game better in every other way imo.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Minister of Offence

There's stuff they can probably do with the helmets.

But putting balloon sized helmets on NHL players isn't cool, and would never fly.

The reason it'll take so long, if ever, to change the helmet standard is that the only way to do it right now is to make the players look goofy.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD19 View Post
They're playing with the same helmets as here... dont know what could be the difference except maybe the bigger ice
Bigger ice surface, different game. My bet would be there are still concussions there, though probably less of them.

The NHL is the most duplicitous professional league in the world. On the one hand they sell violence, on the other claim they are looking after the players health.

Example 1, the NHL not only tolerates but encourages players crashing the net, all in an attempt to have increased scoring. At the same time say they won't tolerate players running over goaltenders. How exactly can they achieve both?

Example 2, the NHL says it is going to remove blows to the head, yet makes up reasons why some blows to the head can be tolerated.

There is obviously a strong voice in the NHL community that believes violent collisions, fights, and goal crease scrums sell tickets.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
http://themessierproject.com/

If I was a pro hockey player and my livelihood depended on it, I'd be looking for the best equipment possible.

How often do pros change their helmets? After a certain number of 'collisions' don't they start to lose their integrity?

Players could start wearing them properly too.

Decent helmets wont prevent every concussion, but each one it does prevent has to be a good thing.

Sometimes you get the feeling that the NHLPA maybe doesn't really care? All just lip service.
exactly. i don't get why everyone doesn't just wear the best available technology. it seems like those cascades are it right now.
i watched some youtube videos and some of the reviewers and people commenting underneath were complaining about how they looked. ?? i guess that's more important.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:56 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
Did I say there was a timetable? This is just what I figure.
I think the standard at this point is 2 games is a starting point for every concussion. No one is going to take it that lightly anymore. I seriously doubt he comes back this month.

I'd love to be wrong.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

The NHL definitely could make the rink larger in many buildings in the US, reemoving seats that are never used isn't a problem.

However for those teams that are selling out it is a non-starter.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:59 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

I am actually a fan of the bigger ice option, but NOT european size, I don't see why it has to be one or the other, just make the ice slightly bigger for some room and that's it. Of course I know what the problem is, "logistics." Aka teams don't want to take out 1-2 rows of seats to make the ice a little bigger. If they were serious about the whole concussion thing then they should take it into consideration.

1. Slightly bigger ice
2. Soft padding on shoulders and elbows (would you rather have a hurt elbow or a hurt brain?)
3. Invest in more helmet technology

Those would be my 3 main points to get started with in regards to concussions, personally.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

Good timing from le brun.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-head-injuries

Apparently there are a dozen players this year trying out new shoulder pads.

The more you know.

Old
12-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
it only makes sense that the bigger, faster, stronger the players on the ice get the less room there is to move around. as the mass of the 12 players on the ice grows, so should their arena. otherwise you get what we have now.

on larger ice you get more creativity, more skating, more passing plays, and less crashing into each other. the hits are still there, but they take more skill and timing.
the bigger ice wouldn't solve the problem of concussions 100%, but it would definitely help as well as make the game better in every other way imo.
Well said.

There just isn't enough room out there. It's either make the rinks larger or take a skater off the ice (and the NHLPA definitely wouldn't agree to that one).

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:02 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I think the standard at this point is 2 games is a starting point for every concussion. No one is going to take it that lightly anymore. I seriously doubt he comes back this month.
I'd love to be wrong.
but there is no timetable

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
There's stuff they can probably do with the helmets.

But putting balloon sized helmets on NHL players isn't cool, and would never fly.

The reason it'll take so long, if ever, to change the helmet standard is that the only way to do it right now is to make the players look goofy.
It isn't just a helmet issue, many of these players are suffering concussions from the whiplash action.

Wearing a helmet makes the head heavier, so it is possible the helmet adds to the force (Newton's II Law).

Old
12-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I am actually a fan of the bigger ice option, but NOT european size, I don't see why it has to be one or the other, just make the ice slightly bigger for some room and that's it. Of course I know what the problem is, "logistics." Aka teams don't want to take out 1-2 rows of seats to make the ice a little bigger. If they were serious about the whole concussion thing then they should take it into consideration.

1. Slightly bigger ice
2. Soft padding on shoulders and elbows (would you rather have a hurt elbow or a hurt brain?)
3. Invest in more helmet technology

Those would be my 3 main points to get started with in regards to concussions, personally.
And don't forget more flexible boards. Damn, I miss watching a good hit along the boards and seeing the boards flex like they're about to fall right off.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

SensChirp @SensChirp
Some good news on Michalek. MacLean indicated that he feels much better today than he did last night. Just have to be cautious. #Sens

Old
12-14-2011, 12:10 PM
MatthewT

a helmet just protects the outside of your head. The cause of a concussion is your brain bouncing off the inside of your skull.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

i think the most dangerous thing is the head hitting the hard ice surface, and the only protection players have against that is the helmet, so the priority should be to work on the helmets as much as possible. and better helmets would of course help in all other situations too.
the bigger ice would help decrease the frequency or chance of dangerous contact resulting in a crash to the ice, so that should be another high priority.