HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hal-lelujah! Gill the scoring machine!..Habs win 5-3 over Islanders

Old
12-14-2011, 11:39 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Do our sports psychologist suck?
We don't have any employed.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelsLike93 View Post
Kaberle-Gorges
Emelin-Campoli
Gill-Subban

Most balanced defensive pairings?
i like that, especially that everybody plays on their natural side. but there are many conundrums that comes with these defense pairings.

gill-subban: solid. they're gonna be good. not worried.
kaberle-gorges: kaberle is weak as in his own zone. gorges is probably our best defensive guy. pairing these two means kabs is gonna get lots of ice time. that worries me...
emelin-campoli: works as a bottom pairing.

you can switch kabs and emelin. it'll mean a stronger second pairing but a probably suicidal third pairing...

AAAA MY HEAD! being a coach is supposed to be easy!!!

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i like that, especially that everybody plays on their natural side. but there are many conundrums that comes with these defense pairings.

gill-subban: solid. they're gonna be good. not worried.
kaberle-gorges: kaberle is weak as in his own zone. gorges is probably our best defensive guy. pairing these two means kabs is gonna get lots of ice time. that worries me...
emelin-campoli: works as a bottom pairing.

you can switch kabs and emelin. it'll mean a stronger second pairing but a probably suicidal third pairing...

AAAA MY HEAD! being a coach is supposed to be easy!!!
I think Martin really doesn't want to break up Subban-Gorges. He was calling them one of the best shutdown pairs in the NHL last night.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Subban made one very bad play. Otherwise, he's been a top-pairing shutdown D with the occasional offensive pinching or first passes that were outstanding.
Are you kidding? He handled the puck like it was a hand grenade. It's like he's second guessing himself on every decision.

I love PK, but it's time for him to have a seat in the press box for a game or two.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:58 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
It's not the coaches fault. It is mental. They are scared to loose.

Nah. If a coach sees his team falling back on its heels and not being aggressive, a simple time out and some yelling will get them back on the right path.

If........a coach really wanted his players to do that though.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:14 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=606459

Quote:
“My first thought was ‘Gorgie [Josh Gorges] is going to kill me’ because that’s the cardinal sin in hockey – you never ice it with the goalie out,” explained Gill with a laugh. “My second thought was, ‘Oh man, now P.K. [Subban] is going to think it’s great to shoot it down the ice!’”
I loled

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Leading the league in OT losses really helps the point totals. Although 7 wins would have been nicer.
Its the shootout losses that are the big factor. Going 1-5 isn't helping at all. At playing actual hockey this season Montreal is 12 wins, 13 losses and 6 ties which isn't all that bad all things considered

The shootout is largely a glorified coin toss so I'm not particularly concerned about a bunch of loser points there. The real scandal isn't the loser points that so many people hyperventilate about, its the SO wins. At playing actual hockey Montreal's record is a lot better than New Jersey who has 9 actual wins but has gone 7-1 in the SO.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:21 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
That is funny because he went straight to Gorges on the bench after the goal and said something.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I could see Gill being some type of coach one day, the guy is very well liked by the players. I wonder if he calls it quits, if he would be intesesting in coaching and helping the D

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I could see Gill being some type of coach one day, the guy is very well liked by the players. I wonder if he calls it quits, if he would be intesesting in coaching and helping the D
I can see that but in Hamilton first.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Gotta love Gill.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Marc Denis said that after the second period, when the team was entering the dressing room, Gill pulled P.K aside and had a talk with him.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:03 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
maybe next season

doug weight did the same

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Marc Denis said that after the second period, when the team was entering the dressing room, Gill pulled P.K aside and had a talk with him.
"See what I just did there, that sealed the deal for us. Never do that!"

Agreed with the posters above. Gill has future coach written all over him. If not he'd be a great color commentator or hockey broadcast analyst.

Old
12-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Gotta love Gill.
“My first thought was ‘Gorgie [Josh Gorges] is going to kill me’ because that’s the cardinal sin in hockey – you never ice it with the goalie out,” explained Gill with a laugh. “My second thought was, ‘Oh man, now P.K. [Subban] is going to think it’s great to shoot it down the ice!’”

Priceless

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
maybe next season

doug weight did the same
Something like that would be awesome, the guy is slowing down, not sure anyone offers him a contract around the league and you know the guys get really along with him so I hope if he isn't playing anymore the Habs offer him some kind of job

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:29 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
i was listening to TSN habs and heard that there was a new guy that replaced mike johnson

anyone know who is the guy that replaced him

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I can't tell at this point anymore whether the players are just scared, or Martin is telling them to sit back.

I know for a fact he doesn't tell them to lose board battles, or get beat to the puck in their own zone, they do that part on their own. The lack of forecheck however, I'm not sure.
Its something Muller was talking about about last season. He said it drives coaches crazy when they see their players sitting back like that. I conclude that its mainly mental, and with all the bad things that have happened to montreal in the 3rd period and OT/shootout, its easy to see that the club is very fragile mentally while playing with the lead.

I dont think martin or many other coaches ask their players to change the gameplan that has worked for them in the first 40 mins.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:19 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Its something Muller was talking about about last season. He said it drives coaches crazy when they see their players sitting back like that. I conclude that its mainly mental, and with all the bad things that have happened to montreal in the 3rd period and OT/shootout, its easy to see that the club is very fragile mentally while playing with the lead.

I dont think martin or many other coaches ask their players to change the gameplan that has worked for them in the first 40 mins.
I guess the whole team doesn't listen to JM and just dumps the puck with no intention of chasing becuase that is what they want to do. JM wants them to forecheck but the players decide against it. Don't blame JM, his "system" is all offense all the time if any of his players would listen to him.

Why do we even have a coach? It is obvious he is a genius no one is listening to, might aswell have Mr. Bean coaching this team.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I guess the whole team doesn't listen to JM and just dumps the puck with no intention of chasing becuase that is what they want to do. JM wants them to forecheck but the players decide against it. Don't blame JM, his "system" is all offense all the time if any of his players would listen to him.

Why do we even have a coach? It is obvious he is a genius no one is listening to, might aswell have Mr. Bean coaching this team.
I do notice that the team dumps the puck in alot. But they do that all game. It seems like martin loves the puck to go deep when he wants a change, and he loves short shifts... but is that really any different than what they do in the first two periods? That strategy has been a staple since martin got here but they've never been blowing leads at this rate.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Gally11

JM has said on record that he's never ever asked his players to sit on a lead, was in same article he said best defense is offense a few weeks ago haha which is hilarious

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

He wants the puck in deep to make the defensemen have to turn and make a play. But this is where I start to agree with you. You need to follow that up with some kind of pressure. Trouble is when you do, you risk getting caught in deep so players, not wanting to make any mistakes tend to sit back instead of doing what they were doing for the first 40 minutes.

The part where I fundamentally disagree is that the coach is telling them to do this. Also this doesn't only happen in the offensive zone. Guys stop pressuring the puck carrier all over the ice and tend to want to sit back and block lanes more. They don't rush the puck carrier as much and the end result is the other team has a lot more time to make a play and it looks like the Habs are letting them do it. You try and not make mistakes and be in the right position at all costs instead of playing aggressive hockey and using your speed to create mistakes and turnovers on the other side. The more this happens, the more it gets in your head collectively late in games and it turns into a vicious cycle.

At least that's my theory.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:39 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I do notice that the team dumps the puck in alot. But they do that all game. It seems like martin loves the puck to go deep when he wants a change, and he loves short shifts... but is that really any different than what they do in the first two periods? That strategy has been a staple since martin got here but they've never been blowing leads at this rate.
I think they allow teams to hem them in all game long and hope for rebounds. This works initially because legs are fresh and can defend. As the game progresses this strategy is dangerous and generally bites us in the ass. So maybe it is the same gameplan that is used all game with these consequences. It certainly doesn't help us allowing long amounts of puck possesion to the opposition, it tires out our defense and suffocates our offense.

Nothing has changed so JM must be quite happy with his "cling to a lead" gameplan reguardless of if he planned it or not.

Quote:
He wants the puck in deep to make the defensemen have to turn and make a play. But this is where I start to agree with you. You need to follow that up with some kind of pressure. Trouble is when you do, you risk getting caught in deep so players, not wanting to make any mistakes tend to sit back instead of doing what they were doing for the first 40 minutes.

The part where I fundamentally disagree is that the coach is telling them to do this. Also this doesn't only happen in the offensive zone. Guys stop pressuring the puck carrier all over the ice and tend to want to sit back and block lanes more. They don't rush the puck carrier as much and the end result is the other team has a lot more time to make a play and it looks like the Habs are letting them do it. You try and not make mistakes and be in the right position at all costs instead of playing aggressive hockey and using your speed to create mistakes and turnovers on the other side. The more this happens, the more it gets in your head collectively late in games and it turns into a vicious cycle.

I agree no one rushes the puck carrier and they are allowed to set up after easily gaining our zone. We have 5 guys trying to get in the way and waiting for a rebound/mistake. This style is what JM has done since he got here and it can work if your goalie is standing on his head but wont really take you anywhere by itself.

In the end the play style always comes back to JM, we have seen zero change so you can't blame the players. Our team is almost entirely veterens, JM has zero excuse as to their play style.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:27 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

I agree with you. (what I highlighted in your post)

Conversely, I dont think that Martin is telling them NOT to sit back.

Which is worse? If Martin cannot get them to stop sitting back, then of what use is the coach?

Which flies in the face of reality if you really think about it. Martin is a control freak. How does he get his players to play his system for most of the game and then not get his players to continue to do it in the 3rd?

Again, one must suspend all beliefs in rational human behavior.......or come to the conclusion that they are doing what they are doing with the blessing of the coach.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
I think they allow teams to hem them in all game long and hope for rebounds. This works initially because legs are fresh and can defend. As the game progresses this strategy is dangerous and generally bites us in the ass. So maybe it is the same gameplan that is used all game with these consequences. It certainly doesn't help us allowing long amounts of puck possesion to the opposition, it tires out our defense and suffocates our offense.

Nothing has changed so JM must be quite happy with his "cling to a lead" gameplan reguardless of if he planned it or not.

I agree no one rushes the puck carrier and they are allowed to set up after easily gaining our zone. We have 5 guys trying to get in the way and waiting for a rebound/mistake. This style is what JM has done since he got here and it can work if your goalie is standing on his head but wont really take you anywhere by itself.

In the end the play style always comes back to JM, we have seen zero change so you can't blame the players. Our team is almost entirely veterens, JM has zero excuse as to their play style.
It's the other way around. Especially with all the injuries. We have rookies and young players playing important roles at almost every single position.

I don't think there's a team in the NHL that had a defense with fewer man games experience in the league until we added Kaberle.