HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Stralman good?

Old
12-14-2011, 01:57 PM
MESSY11

vCash: 500
Is Stralman good?

I am a huge hockey fan and have seen many players ,but, is it just me or does Stralman look like a stud offensively? Im not saying he is Leetch, dont get me wrong, but among our deffensive corp he is the only one with "legit" offensive skills. Very smooth skater with the puck, with excelent hands and I dont even want to hear about his deffensive abilities because we dont need him to be Stevens (he is not Gilroy and remeber Zubov wasnt a rock defensively either). I dont mind seeing him with MDZ or Sauer when Staal comes back. I think given the oportunity and power play time this guy can really put an end to our search for a legit offensive defensemen.

MESSY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Seriously?

This is a guy that couldnt get an NHL job out of training camp. He shows flashes offensively but its nothing brilliant, and his defense leaves A LOT to be desired.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:05 PM
ruckus*

He's shown some good passing ability the past few games. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the PP but I don't recall seeing him shoot yet, so that could be a problem. He is below average defensively and extremely soft. Not a huge fan of his but if he can just take care of his own end first he's not the worst. Would still prefer him not in the lineup though.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:09 PM
coogz13

Send a message via AIM to coogz13
The jury is out on Stralman at the moment, but only for the reason that we haven't seen a large enough sample of play within the Rangers' system.

That being said, he has shown some offensive flair and creativity in the games i have seen him in. He is willing to join the rush and take a few chances that that Tort's other boys aren't. This alone can be an exciting and potentially helpful part of his game. I am hoping that he can find a niche where he can confidently maintain his offensive flow in balance with the way Torts wants to run his system.

As far as his defense is concerned, you can tell he is still adjusting to the flow of the game but is otherwise fairly intelligent with the puck and seems to have good instincts with him. He is a bit soft physically, but that has always been his knock.

Overall I am reserved in my excitement at this point, but he could potentially be a very good 5 or 6.

coogz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:10 PM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

I seriously hope this is a troll attempt.

No, he is not good. He's a 6/7/AHL fodder dman that's playing sheltered minutes. In that role and that role alone he can be serviceable. If he plays anything more that 12-14 minutes against weaker competition, he's going to be exposed. When Staal and Sauer are healthy, he is gone.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSY11 View Post
I am a huge hockey fan and have seen many players ,but, is it just me or does Stralman look like a stud offensively? Im not saying he is Leetch, dont get me wrong, but among our deffensive corp he is the only one with "legit" offensive skills. Very smooth skater with the puck, with excelent hands and I dont even want to hear about his deffensive abilities because we dont need him to be Stevens (he is not Gilroy and remeber Zubov wasnt a rock defensively either). I dont mind seeing him with MDZ or Sauer when Staal comes back. I think given the oportunity and power play time this guy can really put an end to our search for a legit offensive defensemen.
A stud offensively?

No.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:12 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
He's looked solid out there. Adding to the offense, has been stable defensively...he'll probably sit once Sauer/Staal come back, but I cannot complain about his game thus fart.

12-14-2011, 02:14 PM
SauceCheese91

Looks like all the haters are out.

Stralman is not "good", but hes not an awful AHL D-man like people are saying. If you watched the past 2 or 3 games you can see that Stralman has confidence in his offensive game. His skating is very smooth and fluid when he is carrying the puck. He has shown an ability to shoot the puck (and hit the net) and make the pass when it needs to be made.
Now defensively is where he needs to work on. It almost seems as if he sometimes mentally gets lost on the ice or is not strong enough to get some guys off the puck. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I have been pleased with his play so far and was expecting much worse.

SauceCheese91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
He's looked solid out there. Adding to the offense, has been stable defensively...he'll probably sit once Sauer/Staal come back, but I cannot complain about his game thus fart.
Freudian slip?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:19 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

He's been a serviceable fill in. Let's leave it at that.

Stud offensively? lol no.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:22 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Freudian slip?
LOL. R & T are right next to each other on the keyboard, not my fault.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:28 PM
MESSY11

I am not saying he is an all star but he is not a bad 5-6th D especially when Sauer comes back and even Staal. if Erixon isnt ready that is. I like the way he carries the puck (looks smooth) and he passes with vision and confidence. Some players need time to develop (look at our own Girardi who would have been out job as well if someone hadn't given him a chance) some players need some pressure and some playing time to succeed. I am not saying he is great defensively but you cannot always have both and we cannot get on a player for making some mistakes (most of the good-great offensive def. have been very crapy defensively by the way). But when we have both Sauer and Staal back we can have a very decent mix of offense and defense with this guy.

MESSY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:30 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I'd get excited over Stralman about as much as I would Matt Gilroy.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

The next Niklas Lidstrom for sure!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:25 PM
HAPPY HOUR

I think Stralman has looked fine so far in a Ranger sweater.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He's okay. Has done a decent job thus far.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Giacomin

I predict a "C" on Stralman,s jersey in the future except it may be in Europe!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Jxmarts

Leetch > Park > Stralman > Howell > Zubov > Poti

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Faxius

I think he has been solid in his own end, shown some offensive ability, and he has exceeded my expectations.

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:57 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Bet he makes a "woywitka" mistake (could be even in the next game) and this board turns on him in a second demanding the Rangers send him bach to Sweden.

These guys we brought in this year (and Eminger from last year) are all the same - they are going to be just fine and stay in the line-up in the limited role/ice time, they can even step up and be fine in a bigger role for a short period of time, however the more time they spend on ice - the more exposed they are going to be and prone to more errors and defensive lapses, i.e. what separates top 4 defensemen from the bottom pair/spare.

To sum, we should appreciate them for what they are because there are plenty players and prospects out there who don't even get to this level (hello, Sangs) and not expect too much out of them so that there is no disappointment when they don't get there.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:10 PM
redrubberhorse

Hes not a winner.. he lacks mental and physical strength.. hes a d-man who cant play defence.. hes allways been "promising" but enough is enough.. get him on the boat back to sweden now pls.

I remember him whining in the papers back in sweden about how other players made more money than him when he was like 18... he had a paid rental car.. a paid for apartment.. and a salary of 5k a month to squander on whatever he felt like.. saying "some months it gets tough and I have to eat noodles"
Christ time to hit the perspective button and smell the morning coffee.. cant stand him

redrubberhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:23 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrubberhorse View Post
Hes not a winner.. he lacks mental and physical strength.. hes a d-man who cant play defence.. hes allways been "promising" but enough is enough.. get him on the boat back to sweden now pls.

I remember him whining in the papers back in sweden about how other players made more money than him when he was like 18... he had a paid rental car.. a paid for apartment.. and a salary of 5k a month to squander on whatever he felt like.. saying "some months it gets tough and I have to eat noodles"
Christ time to hit the perspective button and smell the morning coffee.. cant stand him
Neither is anybody else who has ever played for the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Hate that line of thought. Guy's been solid after one bad first game and he should go back to Sweden because he's "not a winner"?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Freudian slip?
Damnit, beat me to it.

I like stralmans approach so far. He reminds me of a more comfortable and decisive Gilroy. It remains to be seen if he can be significantly better in either zone, but so far he's been quietly solid in a very small sample size. I like that he looks to rush the puck and head-man the puck, though. Something that Eminger is often incapable of doing, even when he has options (the Eminger-dump-off-the-boards-into-the-neutral-zone is becoming the standard). And this coming from a guy who has been quite pleased with Eminger both this year and last.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Cmox

I bet he's scratched next game.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Vitto79

had Stralman on my fantasy team a few yrs ago and he had a great spurt of offense, we can only hope for the same

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote