HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dec. 20 update: Giroux (concussion) could return Dec. 21; medically cleared to play

Old
12-14-2011, 02:50 AM
Flyersfan139

vCash: 500
Is sounds like he is actually going to try to play Thursday after reading that...??

I feel like they should at least shut him down for the rest of the week, seems silly not to. I don't think they will let him play until at least next Monday but who knows.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:00 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
Is sounds like he is actually going to try to play Thursday after reading that...??

I feel like they should at least shut him down for the rest of the week, seems silly not to. I don't think they will let him play until at least next Monday but who knows.
Absolutely... at LEAST a week. And I hate saying that, because I wanna see him play, but if he gets a second concussion when he isn't fully healed he could be out the entire season. So, I say shut him down till the winter classic.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:54 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Absolutely... at LEAST a week. And I hate saying that, because I wanna see him play, but if he gets a second concussion when he isn't fully healed he could be out the entire season. So, I say shut him down till the winter classic.
I believe he should stay out but can we honestly blame the guy? He works so hard and he has a chance to cement his name this season and win things. I guess he doesn't want to throw that away. That alone would want me to get myself back on the ice if i were him.

Maybe everything will be fine if he comes back that soon. First of all I mean he just said he didn't feel well and then they shut him down with a "concussion" did they really test that to make sure he had one? Hes also played every game the last two seasons and it took his own teammate to get him out of the lineup. So if he comes back early we can be optimistic as he isn't the person to get put into that situation a lot and there aren't many people who has played all 82 games in back to back seasons in a top 6 role. Every situation hes been close to this year have all been his doing.

He should stay out another game even if hes ready (but then again having to come back against Boston would be tough) but if hes really determined to make this a career season for him, I don't want to stop him from coming back .

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:26 AM
G Money

Get well soon G

Pronger and Schenn too

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
What is the quickest he could possibly back do you think?
If I had to guess, Giroux will probably miss around 5 maybe even 7 games. He is improving and his symptoms went away as soon as he stopped skating so looks like he just needs some rest after taking a shot to the back of his head.

I am not that optimistic about Pronger but he is out with knee injury anyway.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:35 AM
dats81

Let him rest now that it has been diagnosed a real concussion! I'd be shocked to see him back in game action before Xmas.

You don't put his health at risk while the team is still rolling and winning games. We are not even half through the regular season!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:13 PM
nyr199435

Give him as much time as he needs. Again, I'm a Rangers fan, and if there's one positive to Claude Giroux's performance it's the fact that he shows that players in the league not named Crosby deserve some attention too. Ryan Miller suffered a concussion and only missed about two weeks, and the fact that Claude is feeling better already is a great sign. I'd give him two weeks just to be safe...concussions are NOT injuries you want to mess with.

Anyway, Atlantic division is getting hit hard. Pronger, Schenn, Giroux, Crosby, and even on the Rangers Staal and Sauer. You guys are not alone. We'd love to get our franchise d-man back, but I wouldn't rush Staal even if it were April. Much more important to have a healthy player for years to come rather than take a short-sighted approach. The Rangers are winning in spite of the absence of Staal and Sauer, and the Flyers are winning despite all their injured players too. As long as the team's doing fine, give him as much time as he needs to feel 100%.

Sincerely wishing him a speedy recovery. I want both our rosters at 100% for the Winter Classic...no excuses when somebody loses!

nyr199435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:39 PM
MsWoof

He's a hockey player so of course he wants to play. Homer has to keep him out for a while, don't let him come back fast and then have him injured again.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Devastate

Gotta love the passion.

Plus, this makes me a lot more optimistic, may not be as serious as we all thought. I'd still sit him out until at least the Colorado game. I wouldn't play him against boston.

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Broad Street Elite

Simply put, you should NEVER have a timeline for an injury like this. I thought the Penguins did a tremendous job waiting on Crosby and they are still getting bit in the ass. The worst case scenario for us is him coming back too early, getting another concussion and being down for the year.... or worse. I hate when people say even if he feels good, give him 2 weeks or maybe he only needs 2 games. The question really is how does he feel today? Anything other than that is silly.

If he feels good today, you let him skate a little more tomorrow. If he feels good tomorrow, you let him do SLIGHTLY more the next day and each subsequent day until you feel comfortable that he can handle 1 GAME. After that game, you re-evaluate. Just because he comes back for a game doesn't mean he's fully off the program.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

coming back this quick would not be smart. his symptoms went away as soon as he stopped skating? no kidding. I know the guy wants to play. we all do, but hasnt there been any lessons learned about coming back to quickly?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I'm wondering if every team in the NHL learned an important lesson from Crosby last year. Crosby came back too soon last year, took a second hit, and is now a high profile posterboy for concussion awareness. I assume that Holmgren and the Flyers watched all of that and decided that they weren't going to have the same thing happen to them ever again.

12-14-2011, 02:34 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

More players gone because of concussions....

HURRICANES LOSE SKINNER, PITKANEN TO CONCUSSIONS

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382737

This is getting serious now when more players get them......

One thing that would cut down on concussions is slowing down the game. Allowing clutching and grabbing may not be what the NHL wants for popularity, but neither is losing star players on a regular basis.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Devastate

it seems like there were less concussions before the NHL became obsessed with head hits...

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:42 PM

One thing I'm wondering is whether there's really ever a cas of 'too early' or whether it's just going to happen regardless. The Pens were so patient with Crosby but he's still out quickly. Do players really get over concussions by sitting out time?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
it seems like there were less concussions before the NHL became obsessed with head hits...
I'd bet my house that A LOT more players just played through them... at risk/detriment to their longterm health obviously.

Old
12-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
One thing I'm wondering is whether there's really ever a cas of 'too early' or whether it's just going to happen regardless. The Pens were so patient with Crosby but he's still out quickly. Do players really get over concussions by sitting out time?
I think that the medical science behind concussions just isn't good enough to predict what's going to happen. The "give it more time" approach appears to me to be a back-handed way of saying... we can't do much to treat this, so we're hoping the body can repair itself given sufficient* time.

* sufficient in this circumstance is undetermined and equates to a toss at a dartboard atm.

Old
12-14-2011, 02:58 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
I heard the numbers are down overall, it just seems like more due to the high profile of the concussed players this year.

The fact of the matter is, you can't have players starting to clutch and grab because it is blatant interference. When you see an opposing player speeding towards your player with the puck you should be allowed to block them? I don't see how it could work.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:02 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

They made the game faster with the new rules so now we are seeing the results of this concussions and other injuries.It was much better when hockey policed it self .Back then u didnt see half the cheap shots u see now cause players knew they would have to answer for what they did...

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
They made the game faster with the new rules so now we are seeing the results of this concussions and other injuries.It was much better when hockey policed it self .Back then u didnt see half the cheap shots u see now cause players knew they would have to answer for what they did...
That's another issue, to be honest. Just off the top of my head, Giroux, Skinner, maybe Crosby (not sure what set him off) were hit by their own players. Are you going to sick Jody Shelley on Wayne Simmonds?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Flyersfan139

Quote:
Pronger or Giroux's injuries had nothing to do with cheap shots so I don't even see how that is relevant in this thread.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
That's another issue, to be honest. Just off the top of my head, Giroux, Skinner, maybe Crosby (not sure what set him off) were hit by their own players. Are you going to sick Jody Shelley on Wayne Simmonds?
Well, I guess Simmonds could just punch himself in the face.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:35 PM
MCAKES

Quote:
dude many of the concussions seen here have been complete accidents. it has nothing to do with crazy hitting or self policing. the game is a fast paced sport and **** like this is bound to happen

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:20 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Do players really get over concussions by sitting out time?
In short, yes. There are schools of thought on how long to keep a player out after he's asymptomatic. There isn't really a set time, since some players like primeau never got better, but gagne after sitting out a year is now ok. Though it's a generally accepted fact that continuing to play while you have symptoms is definitely a bad idea. Brett lindros comes to mind.

You can't play through a concussion, period.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:21 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
It only seems like it's up because players now really how ****ed they could be if they try to play through it and get hit again. This is probably the normal level of NHL concussions, guys just "fought through it" before.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote