HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2011, 10:38 AM
  #26
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,148
vCash: 500
will be very tough to re-sign him.

if he doesn't get extended before the end of the season (and really, it would have to be relatively soon in the new year), then no reason to think he won't test the market.

if he does, I can't see him being in our lineup next year. If he stays healthy, he'll challenge for 30 goals this year, and with a pretty think UFA crop of forwards (that's including Parise & Doan whom I'm betting get signed before the summer), I wouldn't be surprised to see some team give him close to 5M$/per on July 1st... we can't/won't match that kind of offer.

adding Kaberle made it that much more difficult, and with Price/Subban/Gorges all due for hefty raises & Diaz/Emelin/Eller to re-sign as well, we may not even have the cap space to give him the ~4.5M$ he'll likely be looking for at the minimum.

of course, we could see Gomez and/or Cammalleri getting moved, which would free up the needed space to re-sign Kost, but I won't be holding my breath.

if they do get close to the deadline, and can't work out an extension by then, I hope PG has the balls/smarts to move him to the highest bidder instead of losing him for nothing in the summer...

if the team doesn't start aggressive negotiations with him (and Gorges) well before the deadline...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:40 AM
  #27
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,233
vCash: 500
plz re-sign, plzzz

but we won't, and he will leave, and we will lose significant firepower.

Still people say he only shows up sometime. Not this season and if you can get him to play contract season hockey, he's a powerforward/sniper that you just can't lose. Defensive game has improved dramatically.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:48 AM
  #28
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,650
vCash: 500
Gomez won't be on this team next year.

If we are trading AK at the deadline, it means we are tanking. Kostitsyn has easily been a top 6 forward this year, and is the only winger to have chemistry with Pleks.

He's also the 3rd longest serving player on this team, so despite the constant accusations that he's unhappy, he seems to be doing all right to me.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:18 AM
  #29
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 500
If JM is still coaching this team in July, he's gone for sure. He's been JM's whipping boy for the past three years. Yes, he's become a better player but another team will reap the rewards.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:23 AM
  #30
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,042
vCash: 500
Cue the "if he isn't signed before the deadline he is as good as gone" crowd, even though the last hab to sign during the season was like Saku Koivu.

We heard that same line with Plekanec, Gorges of last year, Price etc etc etc.

I'll be shocked if the habs sign someone during the season. I won't be shocked if they get signed during the off-season.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:40 AM
  #31
KadrüH
Registered User
 
KadrüH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAvtsin View Post
Here are our options

1. Trade Cammy
2. AHL for Gomez/Trade Gomez
3. Trade AK for a good return with his value being so high
4. Don't resign AK or Gorges.

I think the most realistic option and the best one would be to trade Cammy to a team who needs skill on the wings for a blue chip prospect and a 1rst.
Why would we trade Cammy? He's a playoffs top performer. Right now he isn't playing good because of confidence or something like that. (I'm sure he's tired of playing for Martin). Let's KEEP Cammalleri for sure or we'll regret it in the future.

KadrüH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:42 AM
  #32
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Cue the "if he isn't signed before the deadline he is as good as gone" crowd, even though the last hab to sign during the season was like Saku Koivu.

We heard that same line with Plekanec, Gorges of last year, Price etc etc etc.

I'll be shocked if the habs sign someone during the season. I won't be shocked if they get signed during the off-season.
?

did I miss the sarcasm intended in your post?

in case you didn't know it, Price and Gorges were both RFA's when they signed their last deals, i don't recall anyone suggesting they wouldn't be re-signed. (and Price is an RFA this time around as well).


and by the way, we also heard it about Komisarek & Koivu before they left town, and go figure, we also saw similar "foot-in-the-mouth" post arguing that anyone who thought the habs wouldn't re-sign them just because they waited till the off-season were "crazy" "management bashers" "idiots" etc etc.



I guess we can find common ground in that we'd both be shocked if the habs signed someone during the season... just b/c other teams/GM's are smart enough to figure out that team favorable contracts are far more likely BEFORE the UFA period, doesn't mean our team will follow suit.

why commit to a player in exchange for a team/cap friendly deal when you can wait for the UFA period and overpay for some other teams unwanted assets

it's that kind of brilliant approach that landed us
Spacek @ 3.8M$
Cammalleri @ 6M$
Gionta @ 5M$

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:43 AM
  #33
gifted88
Dante the poet
 
gifted88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,337
vCash: 500
Cap is not an issue, lots of room to sign him next year when we bury Gomez in the A.

Management would be stupid to let a bad contract like Gomez's hinder the teams future....I hope.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
  #34
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
?

did I miss the sarcasm intended in your post?
Relax bro. I hadn't read the thread yet...I just posted right after I read the OP.

Turns out I wasn't wrong with people saying "if he isn't signed by x, he's gone".

If the habs truly want to keep a player, they will do what they can to do so. If not then he's gone. We'll see when we get there since it's pretty obvious no one will get signed during the season.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:58 AM
  #35
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
?

did I miss the sarcasm intended in your post?

in case you didn't know it, Price and Gorges were both RFA's when they signed their last deals, i don't recall anyone suggesting they wouldn't be re-signed. (and Price is an RFA this time around as well).


and by the way, we also heard it about Komisarek & Koivu before they left town, and go figure, we also saw similar "foot-in-the-mouth" post arguing that anyone who thought the habs wouldn't re-sign them just because they waited till the off-season were "crazy" "management bashers" "idiots" etc etc.



I guess we can find common ground in that we'd both be shocked if the habs signed someone during the season... just b/c other teams/GM's are smart enough to figure out that team favorable contracts are far more likely BEFORE the UFA period, doesn't mean our team will follow suit.

why commit to a player in exchange for a team/cap friendly deal when you can wait for the UFA period and overpay for some other teams unwanted assets

it's that kind of brilliant approach that landed us
Spacek @ 3.8M$
Cammalleri @ 6M$
Gionta @ 5M$
Never offered Koivu a contract

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:16 PM
  #36
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Never offered Koivu a contract
and that has hurt for a while now

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:50 PM
  #37
PKarey Plekoretty
Registered User
 
PKarey Plekoretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
With a trade or two I think we can make room for him (assuming his agent isn't asking for crazy money)

I mean, the reality is, other than AK and Georges, the bulk of our free agents that we need to re-sign are RFAs, which obviously helps us sign guys at a "relative" discount.

Add to that, that PK won't be getting the money the he (and probably a lot of us) thought he would at seasons end. I expected more from him this year (not that I am hating on him, because there aren't many other Dmen in the league that logs the kind of minutes he does at his age), so that could work in MGMT's favor in trying to sign him for a little less

I think with a few tweaks we could re-sign him, but it's definitely up in the air. AK is night in and night out one of our best guys up front this year, so I feel like it would be hard not to put some effort into keeping him

PKarey Plekoretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:52 PM
  #38
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
So was Jesus Price.
Not really. People were ready to burn his house down so he'd leave.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:55 PM
  #39
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKarey Plekoretty View Post
With a trade or two I think we can make room for him (assuming his agent isn't asking for crazy money)

I mean, the reality is, other than AK and Georges, the bulk of our free agents that we need to re-sign are RFAs, which obviously helps us sign guys at a "relative" discount.

Add to that, that PK won't be getting the money the he (and probably a lot of us) thought he would at seasons end. I expected more from him this year (not that I am hating on him, because there aren't many other Dmen in the league that logs the kind of minutes he does at his age), so that could work in MGMT's favor in trying to sign him for a little less

I think with a few tweaks we could re-sign him, but it's definitely up in the air. AK is night in and night out one of our best guys up front this year, so I feel like it would be hard not to put some effort into keeping him
He has the same offensive numbers while playing better defensively. Hard to ask for more.. Hopefully he signs a Hedman type of contract where in 2 years he'll be a steal.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
  #40
Harry Kakalovich
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
With our managements lack of balls, Gomez is going nowhere. We no longer have the cap space to sign AK46 with the deal for Kaberle, as he's finally hit his prime. So where does he end up? Do we deal him at the deadline or let him walk for nothing at the end of the year?
Nonsense - this is definitely Gomez's last season as a Canadien, he might not even finish the year with the Habs, but he certainly won't be back next season. The Habs management is not lacking in decisiveness one bit.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:38 PM
  #41
PKarey Plekoretty
Registered User
 
PKarey Plekoretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
He has the same offensive numbers while playing better defensively. Hard to ask for more.. Hopefully he signs a Hedman type of contract where in 2 years he'll be a steal.
I know offensively his stats are the same, but I find it hard to agree he is playing better defensively. Stats may say one thing, but watching him game in and game out every night, he seems to make a lot more mistakes and turnovers this year. I also feel like every time I blink, he's falling on his ass as well

Don't get me wrong, I'm a PK fan, but I don't think he lived up to his expecations so far this year, even if they are comparable to last year.

PKarey Plekoretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:40 PM
  #42
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'll be shocked if the habs sign someone during the season.
If Gainey was still GM, I would be shocked but with PG I am not so sure.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:43 PM
  #43
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKarey Plekoretty View Post
I know offensively his stats are the same, but I find it hard to agree he is playing better defensively. Stats may say one thing, but watching him game in and game out every night, he seems to make a lot more mistakes and turnovers this year. I also feel like every time I blink, he's falling on his ass as well
I have to agree with this assessment of PK. Martin may say one thing but PK is not rock solid defensively as he would have you believe. Luckily, he has been playing with Gorges this year who is second in the league in blocked shots. Coincidence?

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:17 PM
  #44
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKarey Plekoretty View Post
I know offensively his stats are the same, but I find it hard to agree he is playing better defensively. Stats may say one thing, but watching him game in and game out every night, he seems to make a lot more mistakes and turnovers this year. I also feel like every time I blink, he's falling on his ass as well

Don't get me wrong, I'm a PK fan, but I don't think he lived up to his expecations so far this year, even if they are comparable to last year.
I would think that he's playing tougher minutes than ever before is a big factor on this. When Subban played the kind of minutes Diaz or Weber played last season (the first few months) he was so absurdly dominant the other team basically had the puck only a tiny fraction of the time. Matchups can be a huge factor in how good a player looks.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:30 PM
  #45
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
AK has a lot higher cahnce at being here next year than Gomez. Not sure what planet you are on, they made an 8 mil/year offer to Richards so they were tready to ship Gomez somewhere.
Still spewing this ****.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:00 PM
  #46
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Gomez will be bought out this summer unless he has a crazy come back.. Cammalleri could be moved too if he keeps struggling like this..

Its useless trying to speculate on who is back who isnt at this point..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:01 PM
  #47
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Gomez will be bought out this summer unless he has a crazy come back.. Cammalleri could be moved too if he keeps struggling like this..

Its useless trying to speculate on who is back who isnt at this point..
A buyout wouldn't free up enough cap to do all the moves we need. We need his cap hit straight up gone.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:07 PM
  #48
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Gomez will be bought out this summer unless he has a crazy come back.. Cammalleri could be moved too if he keeps struggling like this..

Its useless trying to speculate on who is back who isnt at this point..
Buying out Gomez is arguably worse than sucking up his contract for two more years. The first two years of the buyout save less than 4M$ per year, and then you have 100% dead money in the next two years. It won't save 7.3M$ per year, and it will cost cap space in the future.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:10 PM
  #49
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Still spewing this ****.
What am I spewing, there were actually reports from credible journalists os this happening, unlike your conspiracy theories.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:18 PM
  #50
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Gomez will be bought out this summer unless he has a crazy come back.. Cammalleri could be moved too if he keeps struggling like this..

Its useless trying to speculate on who is back who isnt at this point..
There is no way in hell they buy him out.

It would cost 6.67 mil to buy him out and still have 11.38 mil cap hit

For 10 mil cost they can get ZERO cap hit

So they would waste 11.4 mil in cap room over 4 years just to save 3.33 mil...umm no!

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.