HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spacek expected to be moved AND Montreal looking for a top six forward

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2011, 02:48 PM
  #1
WestIslander
Registered User
 
WestIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,347
vCash: 500
Spacek expected to be moved AND Montreal looking for a top six forward

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl111213.html

Quote:
December 13, 2011 | 10:50am ET

Spacek expected to be moved

TheFourthPeriod.com

Being traded by the Canadiens last week didn't exactly surprise veteran defenseman Jaroslav Spacek, the Montreal Gazette reports.

Late last week, the Habs dealt Spacek to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for fellow blueliner Tomas Kaberle.

"To be honest, I'd say I knew I'd be traded by the end of the year," Spacek told the Gazette. "Maybe a little before the trade deadline, but not right now."
Spacek, who missed 12 games rehabbing an upper-body injury, was preparing for Friday morning practice when he found out about the move.

"I walked by the (dressing-room) board and there was the lineup for practice," he explained. "My number was outside the lineup and I thought, 'Ah, here we go, something's going on for sure.'"

After being told by Canadiens assistant coach Randy Ladouceur to see head coach Jacques Martin in his office, Martin proceeded to make a phone call to GM Pierre Gauthier.

"Pierre told me I was traded, but the strange thing was, he didn't tell me where because it hadn't been approved by the league. He told me: 'It's not fair to the other team if I tell you where you're going,' and I said: 'What the hell are you talking about? You've just traded me.'"

Spacek returned to the dressing room, shook hands with his now-former teammates, took a shower and then found out he headed to Carolina.

The Canadiens, meanwhile, will get defenseman Chris Campoli back in the lineup tonight.

Gauthier is still in the market for a scoring, top-six forward, though it's uncertain if a trade will occur before the holiday roster freeze.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:50 PM
  #2
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,012
vCash: 500
I thought Gauthier was to be fired and was on thin ice.

I trust Eklund more than FTP.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:52 PM
  #3
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,442
vCash: 500
The Gazette reported Spacek's interview the day it happened and they're just speculating. This is pure 200% speculation bull ****.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:18 PM
  #4
WestIslander
Registered User
 
WestIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,347
vCash: 500
Who cares??? I am more interested in Montreal looking for a top six forward and in hopes that we can land a Semin to play with Plekanec or possibly Eller.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:23 PM
  #5
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Who cares??? I am more interested in Montreal looking for a top six forward and in hopes that we can land a Semin to play with Plekanec or possibly Eller.
What should we pay for Semin?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:29 PM
  #6
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Who cares??? I am more interested in Montreal looking for a top six forward and in hopes that we can land a Semin to play with Plekanec or possibly Eller.
His price tag would be ridiculously high

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:30 PM
  #7
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I thought Gauthier was to be fired and was on thin ice.

I trust Eklund more than FTP.
You trust Eklund more? This is what he had to say regarding the habs today: "While the pick up of Kaberle was a start, I keep hearing Montreal is not finished looking for another puck moving D-man..."

Why would we need ANOTHER defenceman???

I believe TFP's report about PG looking for a top-6 but it's not really a big stretch. Everyones been speculating this for awhile now.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:34 PM
  #8
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
What should we pay for Semin?
I don't think he would be a good fit here anyway.

Martin would have him benched in two games, and we'd turn him into a 15 goal 45 point player.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:37 PM
  #9
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,025
vCash: 500
How many top-6 forwards does Montreal need, anyway? They have between 7 and 9 by my count, depending on your opinions on Gomez, DD and Eller (they all are in my mind). I could see wanting to upgrade, but other than that...

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:40 PM
  #10
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,769
vCash: 500
If Gauthier trades for another top 6 forward, Akost + a good prospect is going to be in the package.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:43 PM
  #11
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
I expect PG to try and trade one of our smaller top-6 forwards like Gionta or Cammy in exchange for somebody with more size. Considering we may have Gallagher joining the team in the next yr or two we need to start shedding some of the older smaller players.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:45 PM
  #12
Paul Dipietro
Registered User
 
Paul Dipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
If Gauthier trades for another top 6 forward, Akost + a good prospect is going to be in the package.
Replace AK with Cammalleri and I'd say you're on to something

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:48 PM
  #13
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
How many top-6 forwards does Montreal need, anyway? They have between 7 and 9 by my count, depending on your opinions on Gomez, DD and Eller (they all are in my mind). I could see wanting to upgrade, but other than that...
At what point in time will you scratch off Gomez from your ''top 6'' ... 100 gp without a goal? 200?

When he retires???

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:53 PM
  #14
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I expect PG to try and trade one of our smaller top-6 forwards like Gionta or Cammy in exchange for somebody with more size. Considering we may have Gallagher joining the team in the next yr or two we need to start shedding some of the older smaller players.
Agreed. Cammy is the big ticket to me

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:57 PM
  #15
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,087
vCash: 500
Tired of all the mtl hot rumors that never come to be

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:57 PM
  #16
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
You trust Eklund more? This is what he had to say regarding the habs today: "While the pick up of Kaberle was a start, I keep hearing Montreal is not finished looking for another puck moving D-man..."

Why would we need ANOTHER defenceman???

I believe TFP's report about PG looking for a top-6 but it's not really a big stretch. Everyones been speculating this for awhile now.
If that top 6 forward is a centreman and it doesn't involve giving up any pieces of the future, it would upgrade my dim view of Gauthier considerably.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
  #17
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
If that top 6 forward is a centreman and it doesn't involve giving up any pieces of the future, it would upgrade my dim view of Gauthier considerably.
Agreed this team needs a big #1 centre. I know hard to find but if they spend the resources it has to be this

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:05 PM
  #18
PATCHESx67
Registered User
 
PATCHESx67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Island MTL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
put cammy on the trading block,he will fetch a good return due to hes playoff perfomances

PATCHESx67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:10 PM
  #19
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I expect PG to try and trade one of our smaller top-6 forwards like Gionta or Cammy in exchange for somebody with more size. Considering we may have Gallagher joining the team in the next yr or two we need to start shedding some of the older smaller players.
Probably someone like that lazy ass Penner..

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:11 PM
  #20
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,781
vCash: 500
The thing with centres is our best forward prospects are all Cs, not high end ones but Leblanc, Bournival and Eller are all two way Cs with second line potential. The only winger prospect we have is Gallagher, and I'd be very surprised if Gionta and Cammalleri finish their contracts in Montreal.

We could definitely use a big scoring C but good luck trading for one of those. We don't have the assets to trade for a Getzlaf or Mike Richards without giving up everything.

I'd much rather roll with Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller and try to flip Cammalleri for a guy with a better contract who actually contributes during the regular season than trade Pleks + AK + a ton of prospects for a center just because he's a 6'3" Canadian.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:13 PM
  #21
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
put cammy on the trading block,he will fetch a good return due to hes playoff perfomances

I like him as a player and all but we're half way through his contract and his production is just not there. Gionta has actually outscored him in their time here which would seem like a crazy notion when both were signed.

Now, with Kaberle feeding him his one-timer he should really have no more excuse to produce, at least on the PP. Not like he's not getting any looks either. Just isn't cashing those chances as often as he should.

m00ks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:17 PM
  #22
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,362
vCash: 500
Get Semin, sign him afterwards as well. Trade Gionta in off-season. Re-sign Kostitsyn. Bury Gomez in minors. Sign a 2nd line center like Stoll or Ruutu. Done. A little irrelevant but whatever:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Semin ($7.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.800m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.750m) / Lars Eller ($1.450m) / Louis Leblanc ($1.170m)
Ryan White ($0.700m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Travis Moen ($1.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($3.750m)
Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Josh Gorges ($3.250m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.500m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.500m)
Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($4.500m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,095,000; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $205,000

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:20 PM
  #23
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go
 
canadiensnation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,296
vCash: 500
Cammy to Detroit for something?

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:21 PM
  #24
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Get Semin, sign him afterwards as well. Trade Gionta in off-season. Re-sign Kostitsyn. Bury Gomez in minors. Sign a 2nd line center like Stoll or Ruutu. Done. A little irrelevant but whatever:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Semin ($7.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.800m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.750m) / Lars Eller ($1.450m) / Louis Leblanc ($1.170m)
Ryan White ($0.700m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Travis Moen ($1.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($3.750m)
Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Josh Gorges ($3.250m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.500m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.500m)
Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($4.500m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,095,000; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $205,000
Semin + Martin = December 21st 2012?

Also, poor DD. He has been great, but like you I don't see a long-term role here. I could be totally wrong(obviously we all can), we 'll see what happens.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:23 PM
  #25
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Semin + Martin = December 21st 2012?

Also, poor DD. He has been great, but like you I don't see a long-term role here. I could be totally wrong(obviously we all can), we 'll see what happens.
Well, it's more of a trick. You get guys like Semin to torture JM. He'll quit, win-win situation!

Actually, I love DD. He's been good. I left leblanc there incase haters come out, but DD should be 3rd line guy winger and a guy like noke on 4th or perhaps a more physical 4th line center. DD will provide a fill in for center injuries and add some vision to the PP. Good player, I like him and want him to stay.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.