HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers recall Tim Erixon from CT (12/29: Returned to CT)

Old
12-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475148 Erixon plays on the left side. He is being called up to take Woywitkas place there. Like it or not...
He's actually versatile enough to play either side, and he has played the right side with great success, at least in the SEL. He is a lefty, so the left side is his natural side, but I've always been a proponent of having at least one offensive d-man play the off-side so that he can take one-timers more naturally even at even strength. I also think it gives the opposing team a bit of a different look to deal with rather than always seeing a righty on the right and a lefty on the left. Since he's played it before with success, I think it may be worth another look t some point down the road, maybe paired with McDonagh or Del Zotto, or maybe even with Staal depending on how the other pairings shake out.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Does everyone seriously want Woywitka out instead of Stralman just because of last night? Woywitka has been solid for the most part. Stralman has looked better the past two games but that's mostly because he finally started getting involved offensively. Stralman is not good defensively. Also, why take out Woywitka and force Erixon to play the left side? I understand that they think he can do it and he's done it, but what's the point? Let him play his natural side and replace the lesser of the two defeseman. Woywitka made a bad play last night that resulted in the only goal. He has been solid for pretty much the entire season. Stralman looks lost in his own end and talk about soft.

Dead on.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
eh, not a fan of Erixon. I probably would have preferred Bell.
The kid has a chance to pull a McDonaugh........Woywitka cost the team a win and now hits the bench likely until he hits the waiver wire

Erixon will play LD not RD

McD, Girardi
Del Zotto, Eminger
Erixon, Stralman

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
eh, not a fan of Erixon. I probably would have preferred Bell.
Sarcasm?

Nice callup, play him over Woywitka...and PLEASE, use him on the PP with Richards. Need that shot from the point.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:28 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd be surprised if they recalled Erixon just to ride the pine on the roadtrip. I'm sure he'll see at least one game. I don't anticipate him sticking, but then again, I said the same thing about McDonagh last season.
The kid is definitely coming up to play, that means they've got him at or about Woywitka/Stralman. He was decent before, if he's better now, then the only thing that sends him back to Hartford is a healthy Sauer and a healthy Staal coming back to this lineup and I'd welcome that any day!

Erixon can play both sides, Left handed, he'll play the left side. He's gotten his time in the AHL and played extremely well down there.

Stralman is a far better skater then Woywitka and therefore fits the Rangers system better then the lumbering Woywitka. The past two games has shown that Stralman has gone through his break-in period and is coming through what has essentially been his preseason.

Erixon is naturally a defensive defenseman and Stralman an offensive one, both Swedes, one righty the other lefty, for a 3rd pairing, you really can't go wrong at this point. Woywitka at a cheap cap hit, becomes the spare and can continue to work on taking off the pounds and getting quicker.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:29 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Erixon paired with Staal during drills while other defensive pairs remain intact at #NYR practice
https://twitter.com/#!/thenyrangers/...49992073379840

The Rangers are practicing in St.Louis

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

im amazed that staal is doing DRILLS already. he was just cleared for light workouts like a week ago. he must be feeling good.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Erixon will get some playing time I would think...

But let's be honest, Woywitka didn't cost the team a win... a pt. maybe but if it went to OT or shootout would we have scored even a goal? I doubt it.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
im amazed that staal is doing DRILLS already. he was just cleared for light workouts like a week ago. he must be feeling good.
I would bet he is eager to get back but even when that happens, his shape still likely wont be good for more than 3rd pairing for at least a month.

12-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Levitate

kind of doubt he's doing them full speed yet but what do I know

Maybe the Rangers are hoping to roll out a 3rd pairing of Staal/Erixon as soon as Staal gets healthy

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Woywitka cost the team a win and now hits the bench likely until he hits the waiver wire
I think people are getting a little carried away now. Other than a weak clearing attempt on a change, I'm not sure I see the egregious error that should earn him a demotion. Woywitka stayed with Ott as he should have. Daly should have been covered by either Callahan or Richards, both of whom went into spectator mode when Daly set up for on a one-timer. There's plently of blame to go around.....if people feel like they need to lay blame on a fairly nifty passing play by the Stars.

Woywitka has proven himself to be a capable reserve d-man. No one's looking to lose a player like that with 2 of the top 4 blueliners out indefinitely. AFAIK, the jury's still out as to whether Stralman and Erixon can even hit a Woywitka level of consistency for an extended period of time.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:58 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Tortorella says Eminger took a shot off the arm vs Stars, so #NYR recalled Erixon just in case as they go out west
https://twitter.com/#!/NYDNRangers/s...70057661480960

Old
12-14-2011, 04:04 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers scrimmaged today. It gives Torts another look at Erixon. The Rangers could get a feel of where Erixon is in his development. Or as Torts calls it "the process".

Old
12-14-2011, 04:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Has there been any feedback from Bruce Barlett or Mitch Beck or any of the individuals who cover the Whale as to how Erixon has played in his stint there?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:49 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I hope he steps in this time and plays well. And gives our Power Play a boost. Its been better overall the last handful of games except for last night. But it could stand to be better. Hope Erixon can help there.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:56 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/thenyrangers/...49992073379840

The Rangers are practicing in St.Louis
I said it a month ago, if Erixon sticks that is going to be our 3rd pair for 10-15 games until Staal is ready for more minutes. Book it.

McDonagh-Girardi
MDZ-Sauer
Staal-Erixon

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:58 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I said it a month ago, if Erixon sticks that is going to be our 3rd pair for 10-15 games until Staal is ready for more minutes. Book it.

McDonagh-Girardi
MDZ-Sauer
Staal-Erixon
can he play right side? if so, lovelies! also, any Whale watchers want to chime in on his play in CT? he was injured for some time recently wasn't he?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:05 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
can he play right side? if so, lovelies! also, any Whale watchers want to chime in on his play in CT? he was injured for some time recently wasn't he?
Lol, I probably should start doing it, but I never really think about sides and handedness when I make D-pairs.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:08 PM
outlaw52
"what i do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Woywitka earned himself a ticket to Hartford last night. Not surprised.

Maybe Erixon pulls a McDonagh and stays the whole season...
woywitka made a weak pass off the boards that is taken by dallas and hes going down?in a game where the stars played a helluva defensive game and there goalie was on fire?in my opinion woywitka has done nothing since hes been here that would warrant him going anywhere. nevermind a weak pass? erixon pulls a mcdonagh?

outlaw52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:25 PM
outlaw52
"what i do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I think people are getting a little carried away now. Other than a weak clearing attempt on a change, I'm not sure I see the egregious error that should earn him a demotion. Woywitka stayed with Ott as he should have. Daly should have been covered by either Callahan or Richards, both of whom went into spectator mode when Daly set up for on a one-timer. There's plently of blame to go around.....if people feel like they need to lay blame on a fairly nifty passing play by the Stars.

Woywitka has proven himself to be a capable reserve d-man. No one's looking to lose a player like that with 2 of the top 4 blueliners out indefinitely. AFAIK, the jury's still out as to whether Stralman and Erixon can even hit a Woywitka level of consistency for an extended period of time.
best post of this thread..period.

Old
12-14-2011, 05:29 PM
outlaw52
"what i do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

best post on this thread ...period.

Old
12-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Elever
Hth

Roster freeze comes into effect on the 19th so I think Erixon will stick up there and get at least a few games (roster freeze ends on the 27th).

Someone is probably gonna have to go down before the 19th then if Staal is coming back and if Eminger is fine.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:51 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
He was on the right when he was here earlier in the season.

Said he felt "comfortable" there.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:15 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts discussed the Erixon move

Quote:
Following a practice in St. Louis Wednesday afternoon, Rangers head coach John Tortorella explained that Erixon was called up as a precaution since Steve Eminger was a bit banged up during Tuesday's contest against the Dallas Stars. However Eminger was able to practice Wednesday and will be able to play Thursday. Still, Tortorella believes it is important to have Erixon with the team as insurance as the team heads further west, and that the rookie can benefit from some time spent with the big league club. "This is part of the process for a young kid: up, maybe not play, maybe we'll see him in another month, who knows," explained the head coach. "But the more that happens the more he gets information and learns from both teams. It's a good thing for him because he knows he is close, and if he continues to work at his game maybe he'll get a whack at it. It's all good."
http://blueshirtsunited.com/photos/270

The "process". The Torts buzzword.

Old
12-14-2011, 07:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Torts discussed the Erixon move

http://blueshirtsunited.com/photos/270

The "process". The Torts buzzword.
Interesting. I have honestly never seen the Rangers do this.....

Normally they wouldn't pull up a young player like Erixon unless they want to give him a couple of games.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote