HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Langenbrunner

Old
12-10-2011, 11:14 PM
sh724

vCash: 500
Langenbrunner

He really does not fit on this team. Any time the lines are mixed up between games it is always 1 random player and Langs that get switched. He has played with pretty much every body one the team and has not developed chemistry with any one. Hitch puts him out there in every situation as well and whether it is 5 on 5, PP, PK, shoot out, or any other situation he does not produce. Hitch continuously changing the lines to help Langs is not helping the team at all the rest of the lines constantly being changed messes up everybody's timing. Stewert had points in 4 out of the last 5 games coming into tonight there was he should not have started the game playing with Reaves while Langs played on the second line where he does not deserve to be.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:19 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
I agree, but on the Stewart situation, neither one has been impressive.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:21 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I agree, but on the Stewart situation, neither one has been impressive.
True Stewart has not been, but he has been getting better where langs has not done anything and is not showing any sign of that changing

Old
12-10-2011, 11:43 PM
tfriede2

I actually disagree (and sort of agree). I agree that he doesn't fit very well on any line in particular, in that there's no real offensive chemistry. On the other hand, he doesn't look out of place on those lines either, and he's still great defensively and gives 110%. While he may not have much chemistry with anyone in particular, I still think he fits the team great. I've never been a huge Langenbrunner fan, but I've been happy with his play. If you're expecting him to produce points, you will be disappointed. If you expect him to play hard, be a leader, be a smart player, and be one of your best defensive forwards, you should be happy with him. I'm happy with him.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:51 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
I actually disagree (and sort of agree). I agree that he doesn't fit very well on any line in particular, in that there's no real offensive chemistry. On the other hand, he doesn't look out of place on those lines either, and he's still great defensively and gives 110%. While he may not have much chemistry with anyone in particular, I still think he fits the team great. I've never been a huge Langenbrunner fan, but I've been happy with his play. If you're expecting him to produce points, you will be disappointed. If you expect him to play hard, be a leader, be a smart player, and be one of your best defensive forwards, you should be happy with him. I'm happy with him.
I dont expect him to put up points and neither do the Blues with that said they should not be playing him on our 'second line' which is suppose to be out top offensive line and he should not be out there on the PP. He needs to be put on a line and left there instead of moving him every couple of games and screwing up everybody else. Also if he is such a great defensive forward then why does he not play on the PK that much?

He dumps the puck pretty much every time he is in the neutral zone instead of passing it or trying to make a play and he rarely goes after it, instead he expects his line mates to go get it. While he either takes his time going to the bench or hangs out at the blue line.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:46 AM
ejoshie

He fits just fine

Warrior

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
At this point is his career, Langenbrunner is basically a "fill-in" player, who can bring experience, poise, consistency to almost any line or role. He hasn't had much time on any one line to develop chemistry. At this point in his career, he should play no more than 14-15 mpg, and maybe be rested every 4th game. He should probably play mainly on Lines 3 & 4, and some on the PK. He should score 10-14 goals and get 17-20 assists, or so. So far, he's done about what is expected.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:19 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
At this point is his career, Langenbrunner is basically a "fill-in" player, who can bring experience, poise, consistency to almost any line or role. He hasn't had much time on any one line to develop chemistry. At this point in his career, he should play no more than 14-15 mpg, and maybe be rested every 4th game. He should probably play mainly on Lines 3 & 4, and some on the PK. He should score 10-14 goals and get 17-20 assists, or so. So far, he's done about what is expected.
exactly! no one should expect him to be the 28 years old Langs. He is a depth forward and still a good leader, nothing wrong with him

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:40 PM
SteenMachine

It was him or Winchester... it's not like we have something better to toss into the line up or a decent free agent option that was overlooked.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:29 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton724 View Post
He needs to be put on a line and left there instead of moving him every couple of games and screwing up everybody else.
They're treating him just like Steen...as a piece you can comfortably plug in pretty much anywhere to try and get other people going. Both play very sound structured hockey, and can be reliably counted on to do what they should be doing even strength, which helps them "blend in" to new lines rather seamlessly. The difference between them is that Steen can actually help create offense while that ability has pretty much left Langenbrunner. The best Langenbrunner can do is reliably keep the offensive play alive. With that in mind, they've been putting Steen on lines that needed to get their offense going. In Langenbrunner's case, they were using him to replace players who needed to get their offense going so they could drop/move them someplace else.

If Stewart was playing better, Langenbrunner wouldn't be sniffing the top two lines...but since Stewart's really struggling, they're hoping that a different situation might help spark him a bit. Can't move him up because he's playing so poorly...that just leaves moving him down. With D'Agostini getting time on the left side due to Sobotka being moved back to center, Langenbrunner's really the only guy you can replace him with.

Quote:
Also if he is such a great defensive forward then why does he not play on the PK that much?
Being a strong 5 on 5 defensive forward is about structure/positioning, responsibility, decision making, and effort. Being a strong PKer requires additional skills that age has dulled somewhat in Langenbrunner (quickness, foot-speed, reaction time, etc.). Arnott is still a very strong 5 on 5 defensive player as well, but no there are much better candidates for PK duty on this team than either of those two players at the moment.

Quote:
He dumps the puck pretty much every time he is in the neutral zone instead of passing it or trying to make a play and he rarely goes after it, instead he expects his line mates to go get it. While he either takes his time going to the bench or hangs out at the blue line.
I don't see that at all. I think he distributes the puck very in the neutral zone, and only dumps it when there's no play (or when there's a line change being conducted). It's true that he's rarely the first man in after the puck when he dumps it...but that's hardly exclusive to him. Hard dumps aren't designed to be retrieved by the guy who's dumping it in. It's his job to read the play to see whether the puck is going to be reversed along the boards, or to take up a defensive position in the middle (while his fellow forwards crashing the far boards recover) should the other team collect and control the dump. I certainly wouldn't describe his play on the ice as every being lazy.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
They're treating him just like Steen...as a piece you can comfortably plug in pretty much anywhere to try and get other people going. Both play very sound structured hockey, and can be reliably counted on to do what they should be doing even strength, which helps them "blend in" to new lines rather seamlessly. The difference between them is that Steen can actually help create offense while that ability has pretty much left Langenbrunner. The best Langenbrunner can do is reliably keep the offensive play alive. With that in mind, they've been putting Steen on lines that needed to get their offense going. In Langenbrunner's case, they were using him to replace players who needed to get their offense going so they could drop/move them someplace else.

If Stewart was playing better, Langenbrunner wouldn't be sniffing the top two lines...but since Stewart's really struggling, they're hoping that a different situation might help spark him a bit. Can't move him up because he's playing so poorly...that just leaves moving him down. With D'Agostini getting time on the left side due to Sobotka being moved back to center, Langenbrunner's really the only guy you can replace him with.

Being a strong 5 on 5 defensive forward is about structure/positioning, responsibility, decision making, and effort. Being a strong PKer requires additional skills that age has dulled somewhat in Langenbrunner (quickness, foot-speed, reaction time, etc.). Arnott is still a very strong 5 on 5 defensive player as well, but no there are much better candidates for PK duty on this team than either of those two players at the moment.

I don't see that at all. I think he distributes the puck very in the neutral zone, and only dumps it when there's no play (or when there's a line change being conducted). It's true that he's rarely the first man in after the puck when he dumps it...but that's hardly exclusive to him. Hard dumps aren't designed to be retrieved by the guy who's dumping it in. It's his job to read the play to see whether the puck is going to be reversed along the boards, or to take up a defensive position in the middle (while his fellow forwards crashing the far boards recover) should the other team collect and control the dump. I certainly wouldn't describe his play on the ice as every being lazy.
We tend to see Langs in a similar light.

I think you are acurately portraying how the coaching staff are employing Langs. He isn't the guy you use to try to spark an offensive surge from players, rather he is the utility man who you use when there is a spot to plug. Normally these sports occur as a result of injury or slump. Langs isn't the kind of player that gets bumped up to a top line as a result of finding another gear. Thats not to say he is bad or his play hasen't warrented playing time. Instead, the coach uses him for his versatiliy. They also (likely) lean on Langs for stability and leadership.

I am no way a big fan of Langs, but I do see his usefullness to the team. In a year or so, we will need fewer of his type, but this season is a different story.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:03 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
It was him or Winchester... it's not like we have something better to toss into the line up or a decent free agent option that was overlooked.
Well, when you put it that way....

I'm glad we have Langs. He also helps fill the Daryl Sydor role.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:35 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Still a nice player to have, but his offensive ability is gone. He is still smart with and without the puck, but I cringe when I see him on the power play. I dont mind seeing him on the 2nd/3rd line because he brings smart play, but he needs to be going to the net to be effective on those lines. Putting him with Perron and Berglund really helps that line defensively. We really need to find the best combination of Sobotka, Perron, Berglund, Stewart, Langs, Dags and Arnott for our 2nd and 3rd lines, we cant rely on Backes-Steen-Oshie and our defense for all of our scoring.

Hitch has used him well though; averages about 15 minutes which is what most 3rd liners are getting. I think its doubtful we bring him back after this season with Tarasenko and McRae knocking on the door.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:00 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

I like Langenbrunner. Love his effort and his responsibility. But I get frustrated seeing play after play in the offensive zone die on his stick. I think sometimes he tries to do a little too much or hold onto the puck too long because he hasn't quite realized how much his game has waned.

Sometimes I feel like he's getting more minutes than he deserves, especially on the powerplay some nights, but other times he sparks a line late in the game because he gets shuffled up. But it sure is better to be discussing this than which of Hensick, Cracknell, Porter, Reaves, Crombeen, and Winchester will be on scoring lines.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:35 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I think we're going to be glad to have both Arnott and Langenbrunner on the team when the playoffs start. I think people also underestimate what a steadying influence they have had. This team hasn't allowed any excuse (injuries, officiating, illness) to affect their determination to win each game. That's what I think of when I think of veteran leadership.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:58 PM
BluesRiver

To the OP: I disagree with just about everything you assert about Langenbrunner. His defense has been pretty darn good, if not excellent, he makes smart decisions and is finishing most of his hits. The Blues don't need him to score goals. They need his experience.

BluesRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Jamie Langenbrunner was not brought here because of what will show up on the stat line at the end of the game. I don't think that's a good way to describe what he brings to the Blues.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:52 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

Well I think we can all agree that he hasn't been the cancer that Dallas and NJD fans all said he'd be.

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:57 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

He's basically a less productive version of Steen. He can go on any line and not be out of place, but he won't really get a lot of points like Steen would.

Old
12-14-2011, 12:07 AM
sh724

But the problem is he cant go on any line, he should either be on the 3rd or 4th line and left there instead he plays on every line. Obviously he is not expected to produce points so he should not be put on a line that is expected to produce points and he should not be on the PP. I would not have a problem with him if the team would quit changing the lines every few games to try to accommodation langs and they need to quit putting him on PP.

Old
12-14-2011, 07:46 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
But the problem is he cant go on any line, he should either be on the 3rd or 4th line and left there instead he plays on every line. Obviously he is not expected to produce points so he should not be put on a line that is expected to produce points and he should not be on the PP. I would not have a problem with him if the team would quit changing the lines every few games to try to accommodation langs and they need to quit putting him on PP.
He's able to get by in the short term though. He allows Hitch to send a message to Stewart, which he wouldn't have been able to do in the past. If Langenbrunner is in our top 6 for an extended period of time, then we are in trouble, but for a few games, we would be ok.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Renard

I think he's been solid. He isn't scoring much, but his overall game is sound.

If you credit Pang's comments, he was the best Blues player against Anaheim last week.

Renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:37 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
I think the Blues are expecting everyone in their top 9 to get on the score-sheet on at least a semi-regular basis. Our 3rd line is no longer simply a "checking line" the way it used to be. It's probably more accurate to believe that they threw Stewart on that line because there's actually less defensive responsibility and better offensive opportunities (with more favorable matchups against other teams' lines). The same goes for Langenbrunner...they're expecting him to chip in offensively no matter where he's playing.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote