HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2011-2012 Prospect Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2011, 04:10 PM
bluechipbonzo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
No probably about it. We could likely send two teams and they'd both be competitive for a medal every year.

For example, phenom Nathan MacKinnon (who scored 5 goals in a Q game a couple weeks ago playing against kids older than him) didn't even get invited to tryout camp.
Nevermind that...the leading scorer in the OHL and the dub didn't even make the team...

Old
12-14-2011, 04:10 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
What an incredible rookie year he's having.
This guy was supposed to replace parenteau on the top line, score 25 goals and help tavares score 40.

Turns out pap is our second best forward this year, arguably.

Nino should be in junior. I hope he manages to get in 9 games, injury notwithstanding, and then goes back. He's just not good enough for the nhl this year. So let him play and develop.

Last edited by redbull: 12-14-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old
12-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Nevermind that...the leading scorer in the OHL and the dub didn't even make the team...

What? Both Tanner Pearson (OHL leading scorer) and Mark Stone (WHL leading scorer) made the team.

Old
12-14-2011, 05:32 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
What? Both Tanner Pearson (OHL leading scorer) and Mark Stone (WHL leading scorer) made the team.
I think he meant goal scorers in their respective leagues. Toffoli (OHL) and Rattie (WHL).

Old
12-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Ok, injuries do happen. I cannot and will not argue that. His handling has been atrocious otherwise. Wasn't it Nino who tweeted how he had no idea why he was scratched for the 3rd game or so? I can't recall exactly, but that shows me the lack of communication with management and him. This was also after his conditioning stint in Bridgeport ended and he was ready to go.

I know I am overreacting, but I'm just not happy with the whole situation. I guess I am venting, but the handling of our most prized prospect is substandard in my opinion. I do not want to see Bailey 2.0 with him, but it's going down that road so far. What an incredible rookie year he's having.
I do agree that he could have been handled better. Also, it was Nino who tweeted about not knowing why he was sitting.

12-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

Quote:
I think he meant goal scorers in their respective leagues. Toffoli (OHL) and Rattie (WHL).
I wondered that after I'd posted. Usually though when one says "leading scorer", it implies leading in points. For instance, if someone asks "who lead the Isles in scoring last season?", I'd guess most replies would be Tavares, not Grabner. Which is why I wondered if the person I quoted wasn't aware that both Pearson and Stone made the WJC.

Old
12-14-2011, 08:12 PM
OpAck

Quote:
@Dmitry Chesnokov

One of the most notable (or not) absentees from Russian WJHC team is #Isles Kirill Kabanov. I was told team didn't want a "problem player."
Tough break for the kid...though I can't really be all that surprised the Russian team would snub him. They just won't believe in giving this kid another chance.

He has also cooled down a bit for the Cataractes. Cooled down from his first 10 games from when he was averaging 2 points a game. With 13 goals in 18 games...I'm happy with his progress.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:01 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Tough break for the kid...though I can't really be all that surprised the Russian team would snub him. They just won't believe in giving this kid another chance.

He has also cooled down a bit for the Cataractes. Cooled down from his first 10 games from when he was averaging 2 points a game. With 13 goals in 18 games...I'm happy with his progress.
Yeah, that bridge was burned long ago. It's too bad.

Old
12-15-2011, 11:16 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Is Kabanov even eligible to play anymore?

Old
12-15-2011, 11:29 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Is Kabanov even eligible to play anymore?
Yes, just turned 19 in July I believe. I think he's only 2 months older than Niederreiter.

Old
12-16-2011, 12:06 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Yes, just turned 19 in July I believe. I think he's only 2 months older than Niederreiter.
Okay, thanks. I guess it just seems like we've been talking about him for 10 years.

Old
12-16-2011, 12:37 PM
bluechipbonzo

Charlie Coyle just left Boston U, apparently in protest of the handling of the Tivino incident...looks like a good sign, to me...

Old
12-16-2011, 04:17 PM
StuDog

Quote:
Charlie Coyle just left Boston U, apparently in protest of the handling of the Tivino incident...looks like a good sign, to me...
this link says he's leaving because of academic issues. maybe you have a different link to share?
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=606794

Old
12-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDog View Post
this link says he's leaving because of academic issues. maybe you have a different link to share?
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=606794
I think Bonzo was referring to this statement. Sorry, if I am assuming incorrectly.

The USHR article also says that some BU players are unhappy with how Trivino's dismissal was handled, specifically with how openly head coach Jack Parker discussed Trivino's alleged history of alcohol problems in the media.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...yle_leaves.php

Old
12-17-2011, 10:38 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

I'm watching the Guelph/London game from last night on the NHL Network right now. I like what I'm seeing from Pedan.

Big boy, shows good wheels and has snarl.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
This is how rumors get started. It's academic, not free-will. Although, it's his free will that chooses not to do well in school

Old
12-17-2011, 12:46 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
This is how rumors get started. It's academic, not free-will. Although, it's his free will that chooses not to do well in school
Your opinion. Do a little DD and you might come around to my way of thinking.

It is academic though that players stick up for each other in the dark face of bureaucracy...

Old
12-18-2011, 11:09 AM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

Didnt want to make a thread about this but am salivating at a line combo of

Kabanov-Grigorenko- Petrov

I still want Nail though

Old
12-18-2011, 11:40 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI94wasaFLUKE9 View Post
Didnt want to make a thread about this but am salivating at a line combo of

Kabanov-Grigorenko- Petrov

I still want Nail though
After seeing Malkin absolutely DOMINANT last night, Grigorenko on the Isles would definitely offer some solace to yet another long season. Yakupov would be great too, but you've got to take a really long look at a big, skilled, potential franchise centerman. Especially one that can switch over to the wing just as adeptly.

I'd rather see a Moulson-JT-Grigorenko line if he is indeed drafted - Moulson is never going to be separated from his best buddy as long as he keeps potting 30 goals a year. I think Grigorenko's game would mesh much better with Tavares than Yakupov would. Factor in that he could always be moved back to center if a suitable replacement is found on the top line (we have a lot of potential talented options - Nino, Strome, Kabanov, Petrov, etc.). That would give us a fantastic duo down the middle for a long time.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

Canada versus Finland is on TSN2 (for those who get it) in a WJC exhibition game. 1-0 Finland after 1 period.

I think I've only heard Ryan Strome's name once the entire period. Then again, Canada looks rather average so far, in general. The forwards, especially, don't look all that skilled or creative. Hopefully it's a case of first night jitters.

Old
12-19-2011, 09:25 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Canada versus Finland is on TSN2 (for those who get it) in a WJC exhibition game. 1-0 Finland after 1 period.

I think I've only heard Ryan Strome's name once the entire period. Then again, Canada looks rather average so far, in general. The forwards, especially, don't look all that skilled or creative. Hopefully it's a case of first night jitters.
strome looks terrible out there. like he doesn't belong with this class of players.

Michael Granlund looks great, what vision.

It's very very early though and the whole team looks awful...but this is always true of this tournament, especially in the beginning.

Old
12-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
strome looks terrible out there. like he doesn't belong with this class of players.

Michael Granlund looks great, what vision.

It's very very early though and the whole team looks awful...but this is always true of this tournament, especially in the beginning.
I noticed Strome more that period ... maybe had to do with Canada getting more powerplays that period, and Strome being on one of the two PP units. He still didn't do anything noteworthy. Like you touched on, he seems a step behind right now.

In general, Canada looked better in the second period. Schwartz looks good, and I think Scheifele is going to be a prominent player for Canada. Smith-Pelly looks like a man amongst boys out there. Of the two NHL players up front (DSP and Connolly), he looks much better.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:34 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Didn't see the 3rd, but thought Strome had a better second. Created some plays, broke up some plays in the D zone, seems to be more of a checking line center in this context. He's not as slow as JT was, so he's got a quicker base and better stride to work with. Would like see him do more though, considering he's one of Canada's more skilled players.

That said, it may take him a few games to get his confidence going, however, by that time he could be buried in the depth charts as other players emerge/get healthy.

On another note, Schwartz was the best player on the ice, has Parise in his style. Just the kind of complement I'd love to see on JT's wing.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:42 AM
islandermaniac

schwartz was great. strome was terrible. he looked weak on the puck and slow. people have said that strome is lucky to have made it considering he did very little at the camp. seems to me that he's still doing very little.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:00 PM
IslandersFan17

Since drafting Strome seems like the kid has not been able to rise like the rest of his draft class. I was saying in another thread the Islanders have seemed like they like the boom or bust prospects and while we watch most of Strome's top ten drafted company excel you have to be hard pressed to imagine the kid really panning out.

I know we are still early in the stages of Strome's development but I am getting nervous.

Closed Thread