HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Ovechkin

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Nemchinov13

vCash: 500
OT: Ovechkin

Did anyone notice how smart Ovechkin is? Do you remember the previous game at home vs Capitals when Orts had a breakaway on PK and Ovechkin backchecking, diving to the ice and sweeping the puck away before taking down Orts? Is this kid the Next Messier? In last night's game he delivers the 1st huge hit on Roszie where he just cleanly splatters him. Then he scores and has 3 PRIMARY assists. On the 3rd Caps goal, he stickhandles/powers through 3 Rangers, draws Henke out of position and dishes a perfect feed to Eminger for an open net slam dunk. On the 4th goal, Big O loses the puck near Rangers goal, goes to the boards, retrieves the puck and feeds Halpern. Then he blocks the slap shot from our hardest shot, Kondratiev and limps to the bench. Does this kid has Messier written all over him or what? Except that he has better Messier skills. Sasha is already showing his leadership qualities on ice by playing a committed team game and once his English picks up, he'll be probably be a great locker room leader as well. And I'd take a Messier over a Gretzky. (reference to my preference for Ovechkin over Sid the Kid). Discuss! Kick my ***!

Old
12-04-2005, 06:16 PM
BigE

I'd take Gretzky.

Ovechkin looked tremendous out there, but I really hate all these SC and AO comparisons. There is a full two years between them! That's a tremendous amount of time and still the "who's better" comparisons continue into the early morning.

We've yet to see how he can manage being just another member of the team, and we've also yet to see how he performs in the playoffs. I have a sneaking suspicion that he might turn out to be less of a team guy than many think. Especially considering how he played in the finals of the WJC last year. Imagine the kind of punishment he'll take in a 7 game series.

I will give him credit though, he's been respectful so far and that bodes well for him. He's also an incredible athlete, absolutely unbelievable how fit he is at 20.

I cringe at the thought of seeing this guy four times a year for another 7 years.

Old
12-04-2005, 08:40 PM
in the hall

I've seen Crosby 6 times now, think Ovechkin has the better package

Crosby has the hockey sense right? Ovechkin seems to have it too

Old
12-04-2005, 08:41 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
I'd take Gretzky.

Ovechkin looked tremendous out there, but I really hate all these SC and AO comparisons. There is a full two years between them! That's a tremendous amount of time and still the "who's better" comparisons continue into the early morning.

We've yet to see how he can manage being just another member of the team, and we've also yet to see how he performs in the playoffs. I have a sneaking suspicion that he might turn out to be less of a team guy than many think. Especially considering how he played in the finals of the WJC last year. Imagine the kind of punishment he'll take in a 7 game series.

I will give him credit though, he's been respectful so far and that bodes well for him. He's also an incredible athlete, absolutely unbelievable how fit he is at 20.

I cringe at the thought of seeing this guy four times a year for another 7 years.
I have to agree.. that dude is pretty strong and physically developed, has stamina and strength

Old
12-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Fletch

Crosby is the younger guy...

having said that, as of now, I like Ovechkin. He's big, strong, smart and a great goal scorer. Crosby will get strong and smart, and will likely be a great playmaker, which is exactly what Ovechkin's missing - imagine if he had someone to set him up? He's doing it offensively by himself - Crosby has a little help out there, but he's still doing a heck of a job for an 18 year old, and even if he was a 10 year vet in his prime.`

Old
12-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
having said that, as of now, I like Ovechkin. He's big, strong, smart and a great goal scorer. Crosby will get strong and smart, and will likely be a great playmaker, which is exactly what Ovechkin's missing - imagine if he had someone to set him up? He's doing it offensively by himself - Crosby has a little help out there, but he's still doing a heck of a job for an 18 year old, and even if he was a 10 year vet in his prime.`
That's why I prefer Ovechkin over Crosby - Ovechkin creates offense all by himself. He creates chances and capitalizes on them. Yesterday, he demolished us single-handedly. I don't care how bad we were, fact is that one man was directly responsible for 4 goals against us. And when he does not have a puck, he does other things - blocks shots, running over people, creating turnovers, in other words, wreaking havoc with his bull-like physique and nature. I actually think that Ovechkin is the best Russian all-around hockey player since Fetisov. Although the two played different positions and had different roles, they are very similar in their skating talent (if not style), physicality and leadership qualities.

Old
12-04-2005, 10:04 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
You know, Ovechkin really impressed me so much last night. He is the most complete rookie i've seen since Forsberg. His hockey IQ is through the roof, and he plays both ends of the ice as hard as anyone. I still can't believe all the Crosby fans, and Canadians who would bash this guy citing untrue things like he doesn't have heart. From what i've seen right now he is a lot more impressive than Sid.

Old
12-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Bretzky*

I thought for sure Crosby would have the edge, playing with such good players, especially on the PP. But Ovechkin is clearly more exciting to watch so far and seems to give more effort than Crosby does. Ovechkin is working at 100% every shift he's out there. Crosby can sometimes seem invisible for a few shifts, but still scores / sets up a great play. I don't think the age difference is a reason that we shouldn't compare them. They both seem like the real deal and are both going to be franchise players in this league and hopefully have wonderful careers.

It's fun and great for this league to have such great rookies with potential like this. And there are others too, Richards, Carter, Lundqvist, Phaneuf, Svatos etc. It's a great time for hockey. I enjoy the comparisons. And while, I think it's too early to even mention Gretzky, Messier, or Lemieux in the same sentence as Sid or Alex, nobody ever made the argument that Gretzky was a few years older when they played together.

Old
12-04-2005, 11:41 PM
True Blue

How much better than Kovulchuk will Ovechkin be? To me, they are a very similar player. I think Crosby is the man here becuase, like Gretz, he also does things to involve teammates and make them better. Off course I am not comparing him to TGO, I am just mentioning how they play.
All three are very, very impressive. Heatly is another I would mention with them. Crosby has all the hype and hope of an entire country, but we'll see how much better than them he will be.
The point that he is the youngest and at least, IMO, every bit as good or a little below (as is in the case of Heatly). He has way more to go. But that foursome could dominate that top scoring spots for quite some time.

Old
12-04-2005, 11:48 PM
heywood*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan
You know, Ovechkin really impressed me so much last night. He is the most complete rookie i've seen since Forsberg. His hockey IQ is through the roof, and he plays both ends of the ice as hard as anyone. I still can't believe all the Crosby fans, and Canadians who would bash this guy citing untrue things like he doesn't have heart. From what i've seen right now he is a lot more impressive than Sid.
my first thought on seeing him his frst game was (also) "forsberg"- he put the puck in his skates and simply blew around an entire D and got on net- breathtaking stuff

Old
12-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Nemchinov13

IMO, Messier is the best comparison. Same energy, emotion, total committment to the team (Messier in the first stint with us). The 2 plays that impressed me the most in the last 2 games vs WSH, despite his assists, hits and a goal, was 1: When he stopped Ortmeyer's breakaway and 2: When he threw his body under Kondratiev's slapper. I wouldn't expect that from Crosby, certainly not from Kovalchuk and maybe from Heatley. Out of the 4, I think that Kovalchuk has the best offensive talent, Heatley is an all around great offensive player, Sidney is more of a faster Gretzky and Ovechkin is scary in a way that he can stickhandle around 2 players and just run over the 3rd player, fake the goaltender out of position and either dish the puck out to an open teammate or score the goal himself. He is a power forward with the power forward mentality and finnesse of Pavel Bure. Yeah, a Forsberg comparison is very appropriate too.

Old
12-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Fletch

Tb...

I think Ovechkin's going to be a more complete player than Kovalchuk. He may not be a better goal scorer, but I think he'll bring other things to the table that may make him more desirable.

Old
12-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Davisian

Ovechkin, Crosby, Spezza, Kovalchuck, Nash, and Staal..

And a slew of others right near them.

The young, high end talent in the game these days is astounding..

Old
12-05-2005, 02:01 PM
in the hall

i read kovalev in another thread and i like that except kovalchuk is the best since they are equal in skill.. ovechkin can burn kovalev and is much more explosive

Old
12-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Fletch

can Burn Kovalev?

I guess you're talking speed...Kovalev's a playmaker with an owesome wrist shot - and a very hard slap shot. But he's a playmaker first and foremost, much to everybody's disdain, since he does have such great shooting assets.

Old
12-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Refuse
Mr. Hockey

I was thinking 'Bure'

Closed Thread