HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Why did Esposito hate New York so much?

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2005, 02:17 AM
Canadarocks

vCash: 500
Why did Esposito hate New York so much?

I've heard from a few sources that Phil Esposito was very depressed at being traded from the Bruins, especially because it ws to New York. On the Legends of Hockey segment he says that when Don Cherry told him he was traded he said "Okay but if you tell me New York, I'm jumping out that window!" To which Don Cherry replied "Bobby, Open the window!" Another place (I can't remember where) I heard he said something like: "Not New York! I hate New York." Does anyone know why he hated New York so much? I read a bit about him and it seemed he went on to work with the Rangers after retirement so maybe he changed his mind though.

Last edited by Canadarocks: 12-03-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old
12-03-2005, 02:43 AM
Frightened Inmate #2

I think it is like having steak with the Bruins over all those years playing on a team with the tallent and the winning streak that the Bruins had, to having hamburger with the Rangers. Not bad but boy it isn't steak by a longshot.

Old
12-03-2005, 02:49 AM
KOVALEV10*

I think it's because he thought he would spend his whole career with the B-s and then not only was he traded but traded to one of the bottom tier teams in the league.

Old
12-03-2005, 03:37 AM
Pizza

I think you guys are confusing recent and ancient history. At the time Espo was traded to the Rangers they most certainly were not a bottom tier team. Essentially you had two organizations that really wanted to shake things up. Basically it was a trade that got the Rangers Espo, but they had to give up Brad Park and Jean Ratelle. The Rangers missed the playoffs a couple of years then went to the finals with Espo in '79. Espo had some really good years in New York, but most fans thought him a bit mercurial. Funny that both franchises are going through a similar stage now. The Rangers having dumped all their "stars", seemed to have turned a corner, the B's may have a ways to go.

Old
12-03-2005, 07:57 AM
brianscot

Also remember that in the early 70's, NY and Boston had a sometimes violent rivalry and the dislike between the two teams was still rather strong, even in 75.

The Rangers had knocked Boston out of the playoffs in the first round in 72-73, winning no less than 3 games in Boston.

I'm sure Brad Park felt awkward going to Boston as well, especially since he toasted a few Bruin's in his book a few years earlier.

Old
12-03-2005, 08:20 AM
shoothepuck

As stated above, Espo wanted to stay a bruin, and to have to go to rival NY did not sit well with him. He did sorta take to NY after 79, but Boston was where his heart was.

Old
12-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Ogopogo*

Espo was a fierce competitor. That means, when he was in Boston, naturally he hated the arch-rivals in New York. Thus his distaste for being traded to the Big Apple.

Hockey used to be about winning and passion. It wasn't all about money.

Old
12-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

It would be the modern equivalent to Joe Sakic being traded to the Wings.

Old
12-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Chili

I agree that it probably had alot to do with the rivalry at that time.

I've been re-reading a book called 'The Brothers Esposito' from ~1971. I don't believe Phil wanted to ever be traded from the Hawks either. He was centering Bobby Hull at that time.

He got into with management though (i.e. Billy Reay) a few times though and got dealt to the B's in a memorable deal.

He benefitted alot from playing with guys like Hull and Orr but he was a great player himself. I'll never forget the way he played in the Summit Series.

Old
12-05-2005, 08:46 AM
missK

If you haven't already read Phil's book, it's a must read. He writes about his life and hockey, both his playing days and broadcaster/GM jobs and the stories are incredible.

Thunder and Lightning: A No-B.S. Hockey Memoir

Old
12-05-2005, 09:17 AM
+73*

one could substantiate the theory of Espo hating NY with the craptacularly lousy job he did years later as GM for NYR... some of the most lopsided, addle-brained trades in league history occurred on his watch (like dealing Ridley AND Kelly Miller for Bob Carpenter, then turning around a few mins later and trading Carpenter for a washed-up 40+ yr. old Marcel Dionne; then Mark Pavelich for Tony McKegney).
please don't anybody try to sell anyone on how this guy was great for NY, as a player or GM.
Espo was a shell of his former self, too and I could not believe they gave up so much for him. Jean Ratelle, thought to be a relic from the Gilbert era, had a 100-pt. season after going to Boston and Brad Park was consistently productive and rock solid.

Old
12-05-2005, 09:20 AM
+73*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadarocks
"Okay but if you tell me New York, I'm jumping out that window!" To which Don Cherry replied "Bobby, Open the window!"
true story, Orr was in the room when the news was issued...

Old
12-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by +73
one could substantiate the theory of Espo hating NY with the craptacularly lousy job he did years later as GM for NYR... some of the most lopsided, addle-brained trades in league history occurred on his watch (like dealing Ridley AND Kelly Miller for Bob Carpenter, then turning around a few mins later and trading Carpenter for a washed-up 40+ yr. old Marcel Dionne; then Mark Pavelich for Tony McKegney).
please don't anybody try to sell anyone on how this guy was great for NY, as a player or GM.
Espo was a shell of his former self, too and I could not believe they gave up so much for him. Jean Ratelle, thought to be a relic from the Gilbert era, had a 100-pt. season after going to Boston and Brad Park was consistently productive and rock solid.
That "shell" averaged a point per game over 5 seasons with the Rangers. He wasn't the sniper he had been, but he had a lot less talent to play with, and he was the leader of the 1979 Cup Finalists. Ratelle was a great player and a class act all the way, but Espo was a solid player for the Blueshirts.

Also, after combining for 100 points with the Rangers and Bruinsduring the trade season, Ratelle never hit the century mark again.

Closed Thread