HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gm #30 : Kings @ Bruins, 12/13/11, Postgame LOSS Drunken Idiots edition

Old
12-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

vCash: 500
Could someone tell me the PP units? Need it for something! Thanks

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:32 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430 View Post
cant wait for the embarassment that awaits us against "the worst team in the NHL"(how we dont have that moniker yet is beyond me) blue jackets
If rumours become facts, Sutter will be coaching that game. Will be a very interesting game to watch, even if we lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Our breakout is a steaming pile of ****.
That's the worst part of our game by far. I don't care about bot to dot and all that. We have virtually nothing in terms of an offense off the rush. We skate through the neutral zone like we are in quicksand at times. You don't counter-attack quickly, you can't back the defense off at the blueline and you don't have the momentum to go hard after loose pucks on dump ins. We can have the best offensive zone system out there, but if we can't get possession of pucks in the offensive zone, it doesn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Attack the middle is damned hard to do when there are 5 guys there,

Do you remember, 2nd period, Westgarth of all people, took the puck from behind the net and tried to "attack the middle" remember what happened?

There is a reason players don't "attack" the middle head on and move the puck around waiting for a seam to open up, that is what the Kings were doing, and they were doing it well, at least for the time period I watched them in,

The 2nd and 3rd goals were absolute garbage goals, **** goals that shouldn't have happened. 1.) You NEVER lose a faceoff that clean, PLUS if you are going out to block a shot, keep your damn legs together, there is a reason why Westgarth was pissed, the 3rd goal, was piss poor play in their own zone, I don't remember who was out there, but 2 guys in the corner, and the 3rd guy high up on the hashmarks, that's just brutal.
Who said attack the middle head on? To me, attack the middle means get someone to the centre of the ice and get them the puck. Simple as that. Hard to do? You bet, but every other team does that and either by design or by players desire we don't go there nearly often enough. I figured Sydor would have posted his scoring chances list by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleman30 View Post
even with rask in net we still couldn't get a puck past him, this is starting to tick me off, quick is busting his ass out there every night and the kings can't score beans and the thing about it is they probably have the best talent in the nhl, something better be done, and quick, no way in hell I'm letting my team be compared to the blue jackets
Rask is a pretty damn good goalie as well. Two years back he forced Tim Thomas to be his back up by the end of the season. That's no easy task. The Bruins probably have the best 1-2 punch in the league, even better than us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
So players like Penner, Brown, Williams, and Gagne (30 goal scorers all) have suddenly forgot how to finish? Give me a break.
Agreed. And while those guys are all a year or more removed from their last 30 goal season, they are all capable of 15-25 goals. Ziggy noted it has been a while since they scored 30 goals in a season, but all of them scored at least 20 goals last year, except for Gagne, who would have scored 20 over a full season.

Those four scored 90 goals in 299 combined games last year, or a pace of .301 goals per game last year. This year they have 18 goals in 107 games, or a pace of .168 goals per game. That's just above half of the goals per game production they had last year. If they were scoring at the same pace as last year, .301, they would have 14 more goals this year.

No one is expecting miracles out of them, but how can you fault DL for assuming those four guys, the oldest being 31, would equal last years totals? How is that a personal problem from his stand point? No one on here would have figured those four would be on pace to score 55 goals total for the full season, so don't act like DL should have had some crystal ball that would forecast this level of suckitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bral View Post
DL did make personnel errors but the most damaging decision made in the long run will be ownership once again getting involved in day to day hockey decisions. If that continues there is no hope for us.
The thing I think that is perhaps the most interesting fact of DL's current (possible) demise) is that if he hadn't hired Crawford, this situation probably wouldn't be going on now. In hindsight, he should have hired TM first and used him as the coach to build up a defensively responsible team and then gone and got whoever he felt was best for the job. It would have been two years earlier into his reign and given him more leeway with ownership. instead, he burned two years off his clock with Crawford and, outside of some high draft picks (Doughty) he gained little out of it.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:45 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

Who said attack the middle head on? To me, attack the middle means get someone to the centre of the ice and get them the puck. Simple as that. Hard to do? You bet, but every other team does that and either by design or by players desire we don't go there nearly often enough. I figured Sydor would have posted his scoring chances list by now.
LOL Sydor probably doesn't know a scoring chance from an icing ffs,

Anyways, attacking the middle, doesn't mean getting someone there and then getting them the puck, it typically means, driving the middle with the puck on your stick, which in today's game, rarely happens, it will happen with the highly skilled players, but typically when it's so bottled up, it's the outside play and passes that try and create seams so that you can open up the middle of the ice.

What you are suggesting is just that, that they do have to get someone to the middle then get the the puck, that is simply done by moving the puck quickly, and well enough where it pulls a defender out of position, and opens up a seam.

Kings have two problems with that, A.) their puck movement is horrible at times, and B.) their read and react is absolutely brutal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sutter's first dozen practices were simply 3 on 3 read and react drills and bag skates....

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:50 PM
jbuntman
not your boyfriend!

yeah...kings just dont play the way they should/could these days..but why? And how can kings get to the better future?

maybe she knows the answer:

jbuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Agreed 100%. Now is the time to begin to look at trades to get ......
I edited this to make my point. Apologies in advance....

Anyway, absolutely wrong time to start changing players, imho. All that's going to do is reinforce confusion and disarray. We already have an abundance of both. Don't need more change right now because that will do more damage than good in this situation. DL will not do that.

I watched a coach who knew he was filling in and therefore would not do anything. I watched a team that was waiting for the skates to drop (to coin a phrase). We will determine what this group will be after the new coach arrives. This group has a lot left to give. They just need something new to focus on.

The new coach will get these guys thinking and focusing on a completely different area of the game. And that will break them out of this offense jinx. If it's Coach Sutter then we will have a hard forecheck, attack the puck, kind of hockey. The big guys will be ordered to hit and pin. The skill guys will be ordered to concentrate on stripping the puck. Simple, straightforward hockey where guys work in pairs, big guy hits and skill guy steals - everyone on the same page in both zones. This team is hungry. This team can win. A change in direction, a change in focus, a couple of bounces and they'll go off on a tear.

Still a little early to put that crow pie in the oven.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:54 PM
NastyNate17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleman30 View Post
even with rask in net we still couldn't get a puck past him, this is starting to tick me off, quick is busting his ass out there every night and the kings can't score beans and the thing about it is they probably have the best talent in the nhl, something better be done, and quick, no way in hell I'm letting my team be compared to the blue jackets
Oh, you mean the bum who is 2nd in the NHL in GAA and Save %?

On a serious note, your team is loaded to the gills with talent and it's obvious that a coaching change is in order as the team is playing very uninspired right now. I'm a bit of a closet Kings fan myself (especially Quick who is a New England native) and I'd love to see your team turn things around and make a playoff push. Remember the Bruins 3-7 start this year? Well if you spent any time on our boards you would've been preparing for armageddon. I can certainly empathize with the mounting frustration, but there's no doubt in my mind that you guys will heat it up and get back on track. Best of luck the rest of the way!

NastyNate17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:26 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
This team is hungry. This team can win. A change in direction, a change in focus, a couple of bounces and they'll go off on a tear.

Still a little early to put that crow pie in the oven.
Purple Kool-Aid hangover?

I saw a team that (with few exceptions) was listless, unmotivated, and needed a cattle prod more than a couple of bounces to do ANYTHING...

IMO, Terry Murray was clearly not the right coach for this group of players.

Who was responsible for that? DL

Were the players responsible for not performing for TM? Absolutely - but was that because they weren't trying or not the right style of players for TM's system or just because they just aren't that good anymore?

Who was responsible for assembling the team? DL

The pressure better be on DL right now to find a coach who can get the most out of the roster that he has assembled, otherwise the last 5+ seasons have been wasted - the Kings are back to Square 1. All of the wishing and hoping and gushing over every DL move will have been a sham.

I wish that most of you would go back and look at some of your posts of the last few years and see in hindsight just how ludicrous your lofty expectations were. Take a look at how many of the things that the dark side warned about and tried to impart a little reality about only to get screamed down and villified. It turns out that we were pretty much right straight across the board.

Will this make a difference? Probably not - but think about next time you are treating potential the same as actual accomplishment. It's fine to wish and dream, but don't let that blind reality.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Purple Kool-Aid hangover?

I saw a team that (with few exceptions) was listless, unmotivated, and needed a cattle prod more than a couple of bounces to do ANYTHING...

IMO, Terry Murray was clearly not the right coach for this group of players.

Who was responsible for that? DL

Were the players responsible for not performing for TM? Absolutely - but was that because they weren't trying or not the right style of players for TM's system or just because they just aren't that good anymore?

Who was responsible for assembling the team? DL

The pressure better be on DL right now to find a coach who can get the most out of the roster that he has assembled, otherwise the last 5+ seasons have been wasted - the Kings are back to Square 1. All of the wishing and hoping and gushing over every DL move will have been a sham.
A bit chippy to hit on your team after what's happened to them, isn't it? It's ok. We all realize that it's easier to criticize. NHL reality is only two teams of roughly thirty players (including callups and trades) get to the finals. Sixty players out of the entire world of Pro Hockey. So. It's pretty easy to predict and enjoy failure since the odds are you'll be right. Enjoy it.

I'm still predicting playoffs for this team.

Quote:
I wish that most of you would go back and look at some of your posts of the last few years and see in hindsight just how ludicrous your lofty expectations were. Take a look at how many of the things that the dark side warned about and tried to impart a little reality about only to get screamed down and villified. It turns out that we were pretty much right straight across the board.
Vilified? just disagree with your constant negativity. That's all. What is right today will not be right in the future. We still have the rest of the season... what (?) 50 games? Still believe in this team and in DL. A new year is almost upon us. We can add up the score at the end of the season instead of at halftime.

Quote:
Will this make a difference? Probably not - but think about next time you are treating potential the same as actual accomplishment. It's fine to wish and dream, but don't let that blind reality.
And don't be purposefully blind to the actual accomplishments of this franchise in the last 5 years. Find me some real hockey people who don't rate our prospects, our development, our D, goalies, and our core. Y'know, other than Button. Find me some winners who believe the Kings are doomed like "the dark side". A couple of years from now this is going to be seen as a bump in the road.

Ok. A real nasty bump. But, still....

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:02 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

I'm not hitting on my team - I'm hitting on the fans who have allowed someone to come in and dazzle them with smoke, mirrors, charts, and buzz words while accomplishing very little in 5+ seasons other than raise prices about 40%.

WILL not be right in the future? Isn't that what the happy faces have been saying for years?

I don't think it is too unreasonable considering the bluster coming from the GM's office to expect ONE playoff round victory - after all, 8 teams do that every season.

...just not the Kings.

Is it really too much to expect a little tangible success after 5+ seasons of bluster?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote