HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Locke Get a Chance?

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Pothier

vCash: 500
Will Locke Get a Chance?

Hey Habs fans,

I was just wondering if you guys think that Corey Locke will get a chance with the big club in the near future. He is playing very well to start the season with Hamilton. And size does not really matter like it did last time there was an NHL.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Old
12-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

I would like to think that someday he would but the other knock against him is his foot speed.

Old
12-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Form and Substance

Is that still a big concern? My hope is that he develops like Wellwood.

Old
12-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Lepidus

I was a bit surprised that they didn't bring him up over Murray or Kostitsyn. If Ribeiro ever goes down with an injury, he might be a more complimentry line-up fill in.

Old
12-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Montrealer

Honestly, even if he's brought up he'll play 1 or 2 shifts and then sit on the bench to think about what he did.

Old
12-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Artyukhin*

maybe if he is lucky he would get 29 to 40 seconds a game . you best make the most of that time jullien gives out

Old
12-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Habbadasher

I was at the game in Toronto aainst the Marlies. He was the best two-way player on the team. I was really disappointed in Pouliot, he never left the offensive blue-line on the power-play when the puck was in the defensive zone.

He will get his chance, just give him more time.

Old
12-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Scotia_Vees
I would like to think that someday he would but the other knock against him is his foot speed.
Is there any kind of speed? If a guy has bad hands, it's not his hands we determine to be slow as opposed to fast. But I wonder why the term foot speed is used. I've always wondered about this one and I now realize it's one of those uneccessary secondary words like the term "fall down" (well duh, do you fall up?)

Old
12-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Habbadasher

Yes, I know he is not Canadiens property. But people go on about him, and he wasn't all that.

Old
12-06-2005, 01:44 AM
Lepidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
maybe if he is lucky he would get 29 to 40 seconds a game . you best make the most of that time jullien gives out
Bitter much?

Old
12-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
Is that still a big concern? My hope is that he develops like Wellwood.
Honestly, I don't think foot speed is a concern at all anymore. Unless you're thinking you want to develop him into some kind of 3rd line checker who has no physical game but relies on pure speed. He can't do that. But for 2nd line duty, he's every bit as shifty-quick as Wellwood, as fast as Ribeiro, etc.

Strangely enough, the knock that he seems to have earned so far this year is more for inconsistency, for sometimes kind of vanishing from the game. Although (as we've seen ourselves with Ribeiro too) his type of player normally won't be noticeable when the team isn't doing much offensively. Still, in junior Locke always impressed me as a guy who was always going all-out pretty much all the time, and I used to think it was his hustle and character that would allow him to overcome his size and speed issues. Instead, that hustle and character hasn't been on display all that much that I can tell this year, and when he shines, it's on pure skill and vision alone.

Old
12-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Darz

i doubt we would see Locke anytime soon in Montreal. I recall reading some comments from Don Lever (Hamilton coach) a little while back, and he seemed pretty disappionted with Locke's work ethic when the team was playing 5 on 5. I would assume Locke work ethic would have to imrpove for quite awhile before Montreal would consider bring him up. In fact I would be really surprised if we saw him in Montreal at all this year.

12-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Capitano

I like guys like Locke. Pretty much his whole career he's had to hear about not being big enough or fast enough, but he gets his points and he's usually leading every team he plays for.

Brian Kilrea is a good coach and he loves Corey Locke, so that has to count for something in my book.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Locke up if we lose one of our centers. I hope it doesn't happen though

Cap

Old
12-06-2005, 12:42 PM
eddy

I think Locke will atleast get a call up between now and sometime next season. He's been producing in the AHL since he joined the Bulldogs. At best I see him turning into somthing like what Wellwood is doing for the Leafs right now. A lot of people doughted him for his size and speed but he's doing just fine in TO.

Old
12-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Habsaku

Corey Locke has grown on me personnally but honestly, can he Habs really rely on players like Plekanec, Locke and Ribeiro as their future centers? I understand size isnt as much a factor but honestly, that might be too small. we'll see i think. Right now we're looking at an interesting battle for the future as those three are very skilled and any of them could surprise.

Closed Thread