HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Former Jr Coach Graham James Sentenced to 2 Years - UPD: Crown Appeals - Post #85

Old
12-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Former Jr Coach Graham James Sentenced to 2 Years - UPD: Appeal 5 Years - Post #93

Graham James pleaded guilty to the charges involving Fleury and another unnamed player. Charges were stayed against a third victim. A sentencing hearing is scheduled for Feb. 22, 2012.

Hopefully this will give Theoren Fleury some closure.
Disgraced former hockey coach Graham James pleaded guilty Wednesday afternoon to charges related to repeated sexual assaults against former NHL star Theoren Fleury and another unnamed victim.

Appearing via video link to a Winnipeg court room, James admitted he repeatedly molested Fleury between Sept. 1, 1983 and Aug. 31, 1985 in both Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

He also admitted he repeatedly molested the other victim, who cannot be named under a publication ban, between May 1, 1989 and April 30, 1994 in Winnipeg.
http://www.canada.com/news/Former+ju...#ixzz1ftC533o7

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 02-15-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Send that dirty SOB to jail and leave him there.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Send that dirty SOB to jail and leave him there.
Preferably in the "general prison population". He'll have a greater chance than any of the kids he assaulted.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:38 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

He needs a Dangerous Offender status slapped on him. I have zero doubt there were victims before and victims after.

Women organize, share, and advocate. Men kill themselves, either literally or through self-destructive behaviour. I hope this case helps change that.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:14 PM
vadim sharifijanov

wait, so does he go to jail until sentencing, or is he still out on bail until then? couldn't be the second one, right? (but after all that has happened since the original sheldon kennedy charges, nothing would truly surprise me. effing canadian legal system.)

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
wait, so does he go to jail until sentencing, or is he still out on bail until then? couldn't be the second one, right? (but after all that has happened since the original sheldon kennedy charges, nothing would truly surprise me. effing canadian legal system.)
As reported he was not in court today but on video link from Montreal where he is out on bail.

The court sat in Winnipeg. James blandly delivered his lines via video link from Montreal, where he is free on bail. He will remain free until his Feb. 22 sentencing. http://www.thestar.com/article/10987...of-child-abuse

Old
12-07-2011, 09:41 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
As reported he was not in court today but on video link from Montreal where he is out on bail.

The court sat in Winnipeg. James blandly delivered his lines via video link from Montreal, where he is free on bail. He will remain free until his Feb. 22 sentencing. http://www.thestar.com/article/10987...of-child-abuse
not sure why i didn't put two and two together that him videolinking in to plead means he was still out on bail.

but wow.

theo fleury is right not to accept the symbolic victory of james's admission of guilt, as extremely important as these kinds of symbolic victories are, without the material victory of keeping these monsters off the streets and for sufficient terms. this country's child abuse laws remain ridiculous.

it's ridiculous enough that being charged with the sexual abuse of multiple minors isn't enough to keep you from getting bail. but there being no provisions in place to make it so that someone who has pleaded guilty to multiple charges of child abuse isn't immediately incarcerated... wow.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:57 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
He needs a Dangerous Offender status slapped on him. I have zero doubt there were victims before and victims after.

Women organize, share, and advocate. Men kill themselves, either literally or through self-destructive behaviour. I hope this case helps change that.
Say what?

And hope he goes through whatever the worst possible thing could be...

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:16 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Say what?

And hope he goes through whatever the worst possible thing could be...
Male victims of sexual abuse and **** are nowhere near as loud in organizing and advocacy for services and support as women are. We're decades behind, but it IS slowly changing. It's a guy thing to suffer alone. We all think we should have physically fought back, even if we were mere children at the time.
Predators know this, and exploit it by telling boys that it was THEIR behaviour that prompted the predators to act.

The fact we let these offenders remain on bail when they are charged with crimes against the most vulnerable is sick. Legally, I get it, but these guys are a risk EVERY DAY.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:25 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Male victims of sexual abuse and **** are nowhere near as loud in organizing and advocacy for services and support as women are. We're decades behind, but it IS slowly changing. It's a guy thing to suffer alone. We all think we should have physically fought back, even if we were mere children at the time.
Predators know this, and exploit it by telling boys that it was THEIR behaviour that prompted the predators to act.

The fact we let these offenders remain on bail when they are charged with crimes against the most vulnerable is sick. Legally, I get it, but these guys are a risk EVERY DAY.
Ah, understood.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Sex offenders should just be castrated and sent to Guantanamo Bay.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:30 AM
CallMeJerry

Quote:
Graham James pleaded guilty to the charges involving Fleury and another unnamed player. Charges were stayed against a third victim. A sentencing hearing is scheduled for Feb. 22, 2012.

Hopefully this will give Theoren Fleury some closure.
Disgraced former hockey coach Graham James pleaded guilty Wednesday afternoon to charges related to repeated sexual assaults against former NHL star Theoren Fleury and another unnamed victim.

Appearing via video link to a Winnipeg court room, James admitted he repeatedly molested Fleury between Sept. 1, 1983 and Aug. 31, 1985 in both Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

He also admitted he repeatedly molested the other victim, who cannot be named under a publication ban, between May 1, 1989 and April 30, 1994 in Winnipeg.
http://www.canada.com/news/Former+ju...#ixzz1ftC533o7
Legal question for Wetcoaster: Will James' pardon mean that he will get a softer sentence?

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:02 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
Legal question for Wetcoaster: Will James' pardon mean that he will get a softer sentence?
No effect.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:50 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
I don't know where to put this but it's related.

According to Theo Fleury TSN only covered the Graham James trial for ratings

Even though all CTV stations showed the same segment TSN did.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^News is news, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was at least partially true. But I don't think you can tar everyone at the network with one brush.

The important thing is that, regardless of the motivation, the spotlight has been shined on this piece of dirt so everyone can see what a creep he is.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:24 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
^News is news, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was at least partially true. But I don't think you can tar everyone at the network with one brush.

The important thing is that, regardless of the motivation, the spotlight has been shined on this piece of dirt so everyone can see what a creep he is.
I watched Winnipeg, Toronto's and Vancouver's story on the trial and it was basically the same report with different reporters.

Theo Fleury shouldn't single out one station. Why on earth would TSN put a story like that on the air for ratings? Frankly, I think they did that so perhaps more males that have unfortunately experienced the same thing as Fleury won't kill themselves or go for addictions and get help instead. More young people watch TSN than the regular news. It's about getting rid of the faux-pas associated with men getting sexually abused; not ****ing ratings.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:37 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
I watched Winnipeg, Toronto's and Vancouver's story on the trial and it was basically the same report with different reporters.

Theo Fleury shouldn't single out one station. Why on earth would TSN put a story like that on the air for ratings? Frankly, I think they did that so perhaps more males that have unfortunately experienced the same thing as Fleury won't kill themselves or go for addictions and get help instead. More young people watch TSN than the regular news. It's about getting rid of the faux-pas associated with men getting sexually abused; not ****ing ratings.
Exactly. I read Theo Fleury's book. He went through a nightmare, and when you come out the other side you sometimes want justice without attention. That's a big part of why he stayed quiet for so long. He still strikes me as wanting people to focus on what James did, without wanting the focus on what James did to HIM. You end up wanting to get on with your life without the judicial processl, which you want JUST AS BADLY, bringing back the horrible memories.

Psychologically, that's totally normal. Not sure why he condemned TSN specifically, but it sounds personal rather than everyone there.

Believe me, it is tough to relive it all, even with the promise of some justice. James plead guilty, which spares Fleury and the other victim having to testify.

Old
12-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

As disgusting as this guy is, at least he's man enough to admit he did it.

Sometimes, one wonders if men like that are "born" with these abnormal tendencies. Imagine you were born that way. Sometimes I don't feel angry at child sex offenders, but more so sorry for them. It's a type of behaviour that none of us will ever fully understand.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:

of all the disgusting associations and ****ed up attitudes that society holds towards victims, "that guy should have fought back when he was ***** as a boy" is far less pervasive than "she deserved it" and it's variations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
As disgusting as this guy is, at least he's man enough to admit he did it.

Sometimes, one wonders if men like that are "born" with these abnormal tendencies. Imagine you were born that way. Sometimes I don't feel angry at child sex offenders, but more so sorry for them. It's a type of behaviour that none of us will ever fully understand.
there are plenty of men and women in the world that have non-destructive sexual appetites that do not force themselves upon others. i might feel sorry for someone who has an inability to enjoy sex unless they cut off one of their fingers, but someone who requires children to get off? sorry, learn not to destroy other people's lives just so you can get off

if someone admitted to me that they had a sexual preference for children, but had never acted upon it, i'd do my best to get them help. this man is not disgusting because he has a problem, he's disgusting because he chose to ruin other people's lives than deal with it like a responsible person

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 09:37 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

[QUOTE=Verviticus;40683569]of all the disgusting associations and ****ed up attitudes that society holds towards victims, "that guy should have fought back when he was ***** as a boy" is far less pervasive than "she deserved it" and it's variations

I totally agree.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Put him in a cell with a Flames fan.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Wetcoaster

Ed Willes of the Vancouver Province on how the Graham James case has haunted him for years. He says he was told about what was going on 20 years ago but never wrote about it.
The conversation happened over 20 years ago and it still sticks to me.

Oh, how it sticks to me.

Bernie Lynch, then the coach of the WHL Regina Pats, and I were chatting when the conversation turned to the Swift Current Broncos.

The Broncos, to that point in the 1988-89 season, had written a remarkable story. Two years after a bus crash had killed four of their players, they'd built a powerhouse under head coach Graham James and star forward Sheldon Kennedy.

That season they went 55-16-1 and swept all three playoff series before winning the Memorial Cup in Saskatoon. Playing a dazzling speed-and-skill game, they were the talk of the league and that summer, I would write a story for The Hockey News heralding Graham James as hockey's man of the year.

Suffice to say that team and James is now remembered for other reasons.

“Do you know what's going on with Graham and Sheldon?” Lynch asked, before describing the pattern of abuse that Kennedy would make public some eight years later.

I've since asked myself five hundred times why I didn't do more to expose James; why I didn't ask more questions; why I didn't dig deeper. Lynch was hardly a WHL insider – it would be his only year coaching the Pats – and if he knew, it stood to reason others knew.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ke...#ixzz1gaK13rXk

Old
12-15-2011, 01:42 AM
CallMeJerry

Quote:
Ed Willes of the Vancouver Province on how the Graham James case has haunted him for years. He says he was told about what was going on 20 years ago but never wrote about it.
The conversation happened over 20 years ago and it still sticks to me.

Oh, how it sticks to me.

Bernie Lynch, then the coach of the WHL Regina Pats, and I were chatting when the conversation turned to the Swift Current Broncos.

The Broncos, to that point in the 1988-89 season, had written a remarkable story. Two years after a bus crash had killed four of their players, they'd built a powerhouse under head coach Graham James and star forward Sheldon Kennedy.

That season they went 55-16-1 and swept all three playoff series before winning the Memorial Cup in Saskatoon. Playing a dazzling speed-and-skill game, they were the talk of the league and that summer, I would write a story for The Hockey News heralding Graham James as hockey's man of the year.

Suffice to say that team and James is now remembered for other reasons.

“Do you know what's going on with Graham and Sheldon?” Lynch asked, before describing the pattern of abuse that Kennedy would make public some eight years later.

I've since asked myself five hundred times why I didn't do more to expose James; why I didn't ask more questions; why I didn't dig deeper. Lynch was hardly a WHL insider – it would be his only year coaching the Pats – and if he knew, it stood to reason others knew.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ke...#ixzz1gaK13rXk
Wow. That was an impactful article.

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Bougieman

Great article. I'm glad he wrote that.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:10 AM
vadim sharifijanov

another good one, re: that awful gazette column--

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...-doesnt-get-it

an extremely thorough point-by-point rebuttal.