HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators VS Bruins | TSN, RDS | 7:30pm | Filatov don't do lineups when needed Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 500
Anybody else want the bingo line back together? i love neilers but he just lacks the skill that daugs has.

Old
12-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Manny*

Anderson has been bad all season. Anybody who disagrees doesn't understand hockey.

Old
12-15-2011, 01:17 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Anderson has been bad all season. Anybody who disagrees doesn't understand hockey.
It's a team game. He's been only part of the problem. He could most certainly be better, more consistent, make a few more game savers. But the team in front of him shouldn't give up two breakaways in 30 seconds. Fact is this team's defensive play has underachieved as a whole this season. It's particularly bad now that we're missing two of our minute-eating vets, and it was particularly bad at the beginning of the year when Macstache's system hadn't yet synced with the players and Andy was struggling to find his groove.

12-15-2011, 01:28 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

The kinds of goals we give up is the real evidence.

Not the pointless save percentage stat.

You give a team that many odd-man rushes, breakaways, defensive zone giveaways, intercepted passes, and then blame the goalie?

Bad goaltending was when we'd shut everything down except for 4 or 5 shots in a period, and our goalie would let a deflating one from way past the circles. Back when we didn't give a team much, but they would still manage to win.

Nowadays, there are so many problems out there with the counter-attack that it's almost pointless to focus on the goaltending.

He's had some softies, but he's had to make some pretty insane recoveries as well.

That being said, if you've got to change things up, just for the sake of doing it, I have no problem with that.

Old
12-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans View Post
I said he was average at best and that Lehner was better than him.

I do agree that Lehner needed some more development but its the truth.
Well, I hope that we'll pay Lehner more than 3.187 on his UFA years... I wish that he'll be so good that we'll have to pay him 8.0 a year... Anderson is paid like an average starter... Reality anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
.828 tonight... His average save % is .897... he is useless at $4mill per. You can't be a star one night and then stink the living **** out of a game the next night. He is in the NHL and has been for a long time... some consistency and perhaps a save or two off a break away and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Otherwise, the equipment is outclassing the tender.
3.187 is far from 4.0, it's about a 20% exageration

Changing facts to prove a point is weak and pathetic, I suggest you don't.

And a big if you really think that Anderson "stunk the living **** out of the game" tonight... Hardly any goal was easy to save. Bruins have the best offense in the NHL (or 2nd), they just have more finish than most teams.

Quote:
I wasn't on this forum a couple of years ago, so who's on with the narrative now?

Anderson is not the goalie we signed... once he removes his head from his ass, we'll start talking about him as being a good tender. Right now he is playing like a back-up. Rask and Thomas are both better than Anderson.

Of course, you're talking about a HOFer and a future Top-5 goalie (who also happens to play in front of the best team on the earth actually). lol, some people expectations are off the charts.

Anyway, let's go ahead and ruin another goalie in Ottawa! Robin Lehner is next!

Quote:
Anderson is making 4, his cap hit is likely a little over 3. I recall the numbers when they signed him. He is a great goalie... just not right now, not even close. You can compare him to Rask also... like I said, both Boston tenders are better than Anderson.
lol you should stop posting, it's bad, really bad. You know that in 2012 (almost), it's very easy to verify FACTS. Just go to capgeek it takes 3 seconds. You don't need to "recall the numbers when they signed him". Instead, you could know the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
See, this is where your expectations are too high. Anderson is an average NHL starting goaltender. Hence why is being paid an average salary of $3 million over 4 years. He is prone to greatness at times, but as shown in his time in Colorado, he's not a world beater every night.
Simply THIS.

Old
12-15-2011, 01:41 AM
jordan7hm

Hey people are coming around.

Anderson is a fine goalie. He's having a bad start to the year. His game is not together. There is no harm in bringing Lehner up and playing him for some games. The worst that can happen is that he can be as bad as Anderson, in which case we send him back down to the minors.

The worst that can happen without us trying Lehner is that Anderson will completely lose the confidence of his teammates. I'm sure it's already happening. Once it's lost, he's not getting it back. This would be a bad thing.

Quote:
And a big if you really think that Anderson "stunk the living **** out of the game" tonight... Hardly any goal was easy to save. Bruins have the best offense in the NHL (or 2nd), they just have more finish than most teams.
It's never Anderson's fault. They're always hard to save. But once in a while a goalie make some saves he doesn't have any place making - that's why he's in the NHL, because he has the ability to do that. Shutouts are in fact a part of NHL seasons. They involve goalies stopping shots that are hard to stop, sometimes almost impossible to stop.

Quote:
Sens have been scoring at a pace of almost 3 goals per game, that's top-10 in the NHL. Problem is more the team defense.
And goaltending. Ottawa isn't being constantly outchanced in these games. Their goalies just don't stop as many as the opposition on too many nights.

Quote:
See, this is where your expectations are too high. Anderson is an average NHL starting goaltender. Hence why is being paid an average salary of $3 million over 4 years. He is prone to greatness at times, but as shown in his time in Colorado, he's not a world beater every night.
I know this isn't you xspirit. But Anderson isn't playing like an average NHL starter. He's playing like a below average NHL starter. Average is one thing. These subpar performances game after game are another.

This year Ottawa needs to score 3 goals to win games, because their goalies consistently let in 2+ goals (usually more). That is a ridiculous amount of pressure on the offense. They can't hold leads because a lead of 1 goal isn't enough - their goalie will let it slip even when they do tighten up and play well in their own end. They ALWAYS need to be focused on scoring. It's only going to get more obvious / worse as the season rolls on if Anderson / Auld (obviously not Auld, because he is not NHL caliber) don't start showing up to games.

It's like a reverse Gerber. Ottawa had to play ridiculously tight D because of Gerber's rebounds. Now they need to score at a ridiculous pace because these guys let in terrible goals from all angles.

Old
12-15-2011, 01:54 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Post game thread

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1055359

Old
12-15-2011, 02:16 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
It's never Anderson's fault. They're always hard to save. But once in a while a goalie make some saves he doesn't have any place making - that's why he's in the NHL, because he has the ability to do that. Shutouts are in fact a part of NHL seasons. They involve goalies stopping shots that are hard to stop, sometimes almost impossible to stop.
Anderson has been making tons of great saves, it's just that on some nights we gave up too many quality scoring chances or prime scoring chances that he has not much chance to stop. I'm not talking of the number of shots but the ratio of scoring chances we give up, sometimes it's too high compared to more experienced teams (players, coaching staff, structure...)

Quote:
And goaltending. Ottawa isn't being constantly outchanced in these games. Their goalies just don't stop as many as the opposition on too many nights.
We don't have a Tim Thomas, a Ryan Miller, a Carey Price or a Lundqvist, that's for sure. We have an average goalie paid like an average goalie. He is a stop gap while Lehner develops. Once Lehner is ready, Andy could still be here as a calming veteran presence. Even if he makes 3M$, it's not a big deal since Lehner will be cheap. Perfect situation for a rebuilding team but we need to draft or sign more goalie prospects though. Can't put all our eggs in Lehner's basket.

I know this isn't you xspirit. But Anderson isn't playing like an average NHL starter. He's playing like a below average NHL starter. Average is one thing. These subpar performances game after game are another.

Based on? Oh, based on stats? Well, I had seasons in amateur leagues with SV% over 920 and seasons where I wasn't even at 900 but let me tell you that I had to make a lot more difficult saves in those "sucky stats" seasons... There's just so much you can do against prime scoring chances from the slot, tons of breakaways, 2 on 1s or 3 on 1s...

Quote:
This year Ottawa needs to score 3 goals to win games, because their goalies consistently let in 2+ goals (usually more). That is a ridiculous amount of pressure on the offense. They can't hold leads because a lead of 1 goal isn't enough - their goalie will let it slip even when they do tighten up and play well in their own end. They ALWAYS need to be focused on scoring. It's only going to get more obvious / worse as the season rolls on if Anderson / Auld (obviously not Auld, because he is not NHL caliber) don't start showing up to games.
Realize that it has a lot to do with the Sens style of play. We don't to play a boring trap style and we don't have the offensive weapons to win regulary in that scenario. We'd lose a ton of games 2-1 or 3-2.

Sens play an open style game where they exchange scoring chances with the other team. We win when we have more finish than the other team or when our defense/goaltending play very good games.

This current Sens team was not built to be world beaters. Rebuild people, rebuild. Year 1. I'm very encouraged by the results so far. We have a lot of good pieces in place and a lot more coming up.

Quote:
It's like a reverse Gerber. Ottawa had to play ridiculously tight D because of Gerber's rebounds. Now they need to score at a ridiculous pace because these guys let in terrible goals from all angles.
What? Anderson doesn't give up a lot of bad goals, it's not in the same stratosphere as Gerber or Elliott...

Closed Thread