HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators 2 - 5 Bruins | Blah game...

View Poll Results: Pick 3 stars
Cowen 14 50.00%
Phillips 2 7.14%
Alfredsson 23 82.14%
Lee 3 10.71%
Butler 2 7.14%
Greening 6 21.43%
Smith 3 10.71%
Spezza 21 75.00%
Neil 3 10.71%
Konopka 2 7.14%
Carkner 8 28.57%
Karlsson 4 14.29%
Foligno 5 17.86%
Anderson 1 3.57%
Other *NAME WHO* 3 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-15-2011, 01:52 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Senators 2 - 5 Bruins | Blah game...

Sens lost 5-2 tonight, lots of shot, no results. Crowd was dead!

Vote for 3 stars!

I'll make mine

Alfie
Spezza
Neil

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:29 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

vCash: 500
Alfie was the best skater on the ice. He would have had a 4 point night if not for Thomas.
About Anderson we don't need him to be perfect but it's time for him to hit a hot streak. Even the average goalies in the NHL get into a groove at some point and teams ride them for a while. Without 10-15 games out of the world from Andy we ain't going anywhere

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Spezza was our best player.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:13 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Man does Thomas ever have abad game "in" ottawa?

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:10 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold
Coming In Hot

vCash: 50
Who is this Chris Kelly and where have I seen him on the goal scoring column before?

I wasn't expecting a win so not overly disappointed. Good to see Spezza get back at a PPG pace and good to see Alfie picking up a couple.

Pretty much outplayed them in the 1st and 3rd, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

12-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Suiteness

Kelly is so damn ugly it disturbs me. I'm glad I don't have to see this mug 3x a week anymore, especially now in this era of 50+ inch tvs in HD and what not.

I haven't felt this way since Patrick Ewing's ugly mug was shown all over the place in the early to mid 90's.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Marble

Meh, not mad at all. Good to see the team work hard, but not many people expected to win. When you're cheering for a team without a lot of top-end goal-scorers, there are going to be games like this.

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Minister of Offence

Thought Cowen was a bright spot again tonight. His reach continues to disrupt opponents all over the ice...even uses it will in the offensive zone and when he rushes.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Kelly is so damn ugly it disturbs me. I'm glad I don't have to see this mug 3x a week anymore, especially now in this era of 50+ inch tvs in HD and what not.

I haven't felt this way since Patrick Ewing's ugly mug was shown all over the place in the early to mid 90's.
Just for you, Suiteness

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1055507

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Anaxagoras
Futbol Fan

Those back-to-back goals just kill us, and I can just tell when they're going to happen. When the B's got the puck in their zone and I could see Rundblad and Karlsson completely out of position, my brother was calling me over and I just told him, "Hold on a sec, we're about to get scored on."

Needless to say, we did.

Also, weren't people asking us to keep the score out of the title?

Anaxagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:05 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 1425
It's funny how Karlsson, Rundblad and the D gets all the Garrioch of this world on their butt. While you see Anderson getting almost no heat for his below than average performances. I'm not saying he's at fault on any goals but at some point, he has to bail out this team.

People are saying our D sucks that's why he doesn't have a good save percentage blah blah blah. But look at Lehner in the AHL, he's playing for the worst team in the standings and manages to keep a .914 save% while maintaining a GAA lower than 3. I know it's not the same league but it shows you that you can't blame the team for having a crappy Save%. Anderson has a .894 save% (good for 40th in the league) while having a 3.42 GAA.

That means that on average every time Anderson is in net, the sens will have to score 4 goals if they want a chance to win. That's unacceptable. I know andy is not a superstar, but he needs to at least put up average numbers.

Last edited by mat_sens: 12-15-2011 at 10:15 AM.
mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
It's funny how Karlsson, Rundblad and the D gets all the Garrioch of this world on their butt. While you see Anderson getting almost no heat for his below than average performances. I'm not saying he's at fault on any goals but at some point, he has to bail out this team.

People are saying our D sucks that's why he doesn't have a good save percentage blah blah blah. But look at Lehner in the AHL, he's playing for the worst team in the standings and manages to keep a .914 save% while maintaining a GAA lower than 3. I know it's not the same league but it shows you that you can't blame the team for having a crappy Save%. Anderson has a 8.94 save% (good for 40th in the league) while having a 3.42 GAA.

That means that on average every time Anderson is in net, the sens will have to score 4 goals if they want a chance to win. That's unacceptable. I know andy is not a superstar, but he needs to at least put up average numbers.
Again, average goaltenders put up average numbers in front of an average defence. Lehner's an above average goaltender (for the AHL) and is putting up average numbers on a below average team. Anderson's an average/slightly below average goaltender and is putting up below average numbers in front of a terrible defence.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:38 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 1425
On another note, I saw couple of Bruins players at Pier 21 yesterday. Chara, Lucic, etc. I was a bit drunk and went up to Lucic and talked to him a bit while he was serving himself a drink behind the bar lmao

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:40 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:

People are saying our D sucks that's why he doesn't have a good save percentage blah blah blah. But look at Lehner in the AHL, he's playing for the worst team in the standings and manages to keep a .914 save% while maintaining a GAA lower than 3. I know it's not the same league but it shows you that you can't blame the team for having a crappy Save%. Anderson has a .894 save% (good for 40th in the league) while having a 3.42 GAA.

SERIOUSLY?

Did you not read the last 12 pages of the GDT!?! It was an Anderson hate-fest.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:48 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:

Well, I'll put down my reasoning as to why he gets no heat from me. I see him make 2-3 "bail out" type saves per game, then I see him give up goals on the most ridiculous scoring opportunities, we have the worst defence in the league when it comes to playing in our own zone, so why bother even yelling at Anderson?

If Anderson had these numbers playing on a St. Louis Blues team or something like that, then yup he should take tons of heat, its just hard to evaluate a goalie when he's playing behind a joke of a defense corp. right now when it comes to them, you know, playing actual defense. Kelly left ALL ALONE in the front of the net was one of the most ridiculous things Ive seen this year, and the funny thing is, this isn't the first time we leave guys all alone in front of the net, it happens probably more than any other team in the league.

Also, I guess I have lower expectations than most people. Going into this season, I wasn't going to be surprised if we got lit up all year, so why should I act surprised and mad right now? It's what I expected, and actually our offense has been unexpected and a surprise, helping us do a lot better than I thought we would do.

And yes, we have to score 4 goals per game to win games, because we can't play D. Stick Crawford, Theodore, Niemi, hell even someone like Bryzgalov in front of this Sens D and were still going to have to score 4 goals per game to win hockey teams. Were an uptempo let it all hang out style team right now, probably because its the ONLY style where we have a shot at being successful to cover up our inefficiencies on team defense.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:03 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Well, I'll put down my reasoning as to why he gets no heat from me. I see him make 2-3 "bail out" type saves per game, then I see him give up goals on the most ridiculous scoring opportunities, we have the worst defence in the league when it comes to playing in our own zone, so why bother even yelling at Anderson?

If Anderson had these numbers playing on a St. Louis Blues team or something like that, then yup he should take tons of heat, its just hard to evaluate a goalie when he's playing behind a joke of a defense corp. right now when it comes to them, you know, playing actual defense. Kelly left ALL ALONE in the front of the net was one of the most ridiculous things Ive seen this year, and the funny thing is, this isn't the first time we leave guys all alone in front of the net, it happens probably more than any other team in the league.

Also, I guess I have lower expectations than most people. Going into this season, I wasn't going to be surprised if we got lit up all year, so why should I act surprised and mad right now? It's what I expected, and actually our offense has been unexpected and a surprise, helping us do a lot better than I thought we would do.

And yes, we have to score 4 goals per game to win games, because we can't play D. Stick Crawford, Theodore, Niemi, hell even someone like Bryzgalov in front of this Sens D and were still going to have to score 4 goals per game to win hockey teams. Were an uptempo let it all hang out style team right now, probably because its the ONLY style where we have a shot at being successful to cover up our inefficiencies on team defense.
I guess that's where you and I are similar in thoughts Pete...

Some people here believe Anderson is in the "Elite" category of goaltenders - Thomas, Price, Lundqvist, etc. That's just not right. He'll never be that good over the stretch of a whole season. That's why his salary cap hit is $3million a year and not $7 to 9 million.

Rational people slot him more along the goalies you mentioned. Good, not great, but capable of great games. He's two years removed from a Vezina-like performance from the Avalanche, followed by a great end to the year last year. However, even in the great year with Colorado, he had slumps where he struggled.

It's really hard to evaluate him behind a team that features this much youth on their offense. It's too bad "Genuine Goal Scoring Opportunities" isn't a stat. People would then see we probably lead the league in that category.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:09 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

This is for Xspirit... I made a mistake on Anderson's cap hit. That mean's F-all in the grand scheme of his playing ability. Whether or not he is making 3 or $4 mill, he isn't living up to the expectations he set for himself last season. When you are a goalie who can steal games and he did it regularly a season ago, yet he can't make a save for the life of the team the next season... questions need to be asked. Peverly's shot was stoppable, Thomas, Rask and about 80% of the other starting goalies in the NHL would have stopped it. Anderson is letting in some awful goals, whether or not our defensive coverage has been putrid.

When I debate, I debate about the team and the players. I don't make it personal. If you feel the need to make it personal, then take that up with the moderators.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:11 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Thought Cowen was a bright spot again tonight. His reach continues to disrupt opponents all over the ice...even uses it will in the offensive zone and when he rushes.
Yep... wish Rundblad would take a page from Cowen's book.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ View Post
Those back-to-back goals just kill us, and I can just tell when they're going to happen. When the B's got the puck in their zone and I could see Rundblad and Karlsson completely out of position, my brother was calling me over and I just told him, "Hold on a sec, we're about to get scored on."

Needless to say, we did.

Also, weren't people asking us to keep the score out of the title?

I still really don't understand the arguement for not having the score in the title. Don't get me wrong I don't care either way if it is there or not, but why are you coming onto a hockey message board before you've seen that night's game? The main point of this forum is to discuss current events afterall, and what is more current then the game happening that night?

Say Ottawa has a hugely disappointing game you're going to have topics like "How bad can our defense really get?" "Why Can't Anderson make key saves?".

Or if Ottawa has a huge win "Erik Karlsson/Jared Cowen emerging stars!" "That's why we shouldn't trade Spezza!".

So I mean either way the game is mostly going to be ruined for you, so go watch the game and resist the urge to visit HFBoards if you are worried about seeing the score.

The same type of people complain when a movie/game/book is ruined when they continually visit message boards, all the while knowing full well some random always posts spoilers.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:18 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
This is for Xspirit... I made a mistake on Anderson's cap hit. That mean's F-all in the grand scheme of his playing ability. Whether or not he is making 3 or $4 mill, he isn't living up to the expectations he set for himself last season. When you are a goalie who can steal games and he did it regularly a season ago, yet he can't make a save for the life of the team the next season... questions need to be asked. Peverly's shot was stoppable, Thomas, Rask and about 80% of the other starting goalies in the NHL would have stopped it. Anderson is letting in some awful goals, whether or not our defensive coverage has been putrid.

When I debate, I debate about the team and the players. I don't make it personal. If you feel the need to make it personal, then take that up with the moderators.
To Leclaire, I agree 100% and yes I picked those goalies for a reason.

To this post, you know how there's the adage where teams gain and lose confidence from their goalie? Well I see the opposite, Anderson has no confidence in his defense, and why should he?

I just don't understand that people don't realise, We have the worst defense in the league at actually playing defense and making mistakes that have no place on an NHL roster and I shutter to think if we somehow made the playoffs and nothing changes in that regard from now to the end of the season, and the forechecking intensity on us is brought up 200%, how we would react, it would probably be a slaughter.

I'll just bring it up again and it is not directed at you but reading GDT's, Andersons leash seems to be about 1 GA per 30 shots, anything more and he's a sieve on this board, and a lot of those shots are quality scoring chances.

edit: And I will add, yes Anderson could be better than he is playing right now, but for me personally, do I expect he will be? No. If he does, it will be a nice surprise.

Last edited by PeterSidorkiewicz: 12-15-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old
12-15-2011, 11:29 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Meh, ill throw another point out there, Alex Auld. Career GAA and save pct of 2.77 and .905, this season? 3.43 and .875. Auld, we all know him as a pretty solid backup who wont make spectacular saves, but make the saves you're expected to make and give you a chance to win right?

Auld this year doesn't look so hot in the games he's played either, gee, I wonder why.

Old
12-15-2011, 11:41 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
Who is this Chris Kelly and where have I seen him on the goal scoring column before?

I wasn't expecting a win so not overly disappointed. Good to see Spezza get back at a PPG pace and good to see Alfie picking up a couple.

Pretty much outplayed them in the 1st and 3rd, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
In all fairness anyone human that can hold a hockey stick could have scored that one. One defensman inexplicably skated to the corner for no reason at all and the other one dropped his stick. Thus leaving a player alone in front of the net for absolutely no reason.

bert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:48 AM
KarlSen

Just repeat the mantra, "I'ts a Rebuilding Year".

I don' t really care if the Sens end up 8th or 12h overall. What I am seeing is a ton of talent, and games being lossed recently due to bad positioning, give aways, and mental errors that inexperienced players do.

Gonchar and Kuba leaves the kids to have to cover a lot more situations and they are learning. It won't always be pretty.

KarlSen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:55 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post

You couldnt be more right, now a big save could have helped this team last night but he usually makes a couple. The team defense going on here is so out of control bad right now you cannot blame the goaltender.

It seems like it is getting worse..... Now its not the system its quite obvious its individuals making terrible decisions. However I believe it has shot through the lineup because arguably the two best players on the team make those aweful decisions with zero punishment on a regular basis. I think there maybe a trickle down effect, its a tough spot for the management and coaching staff to be in because both Karlsson and Spezza are better players when they are making mistakes.

bert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Stay classy Sens fans... For real

You guys are like a beacon of hope, probably the most level headed fan base out there

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote