HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

All-Purpose Sports Talk I (NFL, MLB, CFL, NCAA, Etc.) *NFL WEEK 9 DISCUSSION HERE*

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

vCash: 500
According to Buster Olney, who I trust, the Jays are in hard on Yu Darvish.

My response, why the **** not?

It's only money.

Old
12-14-2011, 06:00 PM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

vCash: 611
It's not your money. Why do Yu care?

Oh God, the pun potential…

Old
12-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Chris Paul a CLIPPER?

lol. Good luck with that.

Hornets did OK. Kaman is beast. Amini has upside, Gordon is an elite level scorer and the 1st is unprotected. Not bad.

Now find a taker for Kaman, get more youth.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

not really a big NBA fan, but with Billups, Griffin, and now Paul....The Clippers are a force to be reckoned with finally.

Old
12-14-2011, 10:29 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Eugene View Post
According to Buster Olney, who I trust, the Jays are in hard on Yu Darvish.

My response, why the **** not?

It's only money.
Oh man, I would seriously have to re-think my complete apathy towards the Jays if they could sign Darvish.

He'd be their #1 starter almost immediately, IMO. I'm a huge fan of the kid... I actually never expected him to come play MLB.

If Toronto can actually sign him, I'll actually pay attention to the Jays this year. For real.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:17 PM
HebrewHammer
Pimpin' Puempel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Oh man, I would seriously have to re-think my complete apathy towards the Jays if they could sign Darvish.

He'd be their #1 starter almost immediately, IMO. I'm a huge fan of the kid... I actually never expected him to come play MLB.

If Toronto can actually sign him, I'll actually pay attention to the Jays this year. For real.
Take it from a die-hard Sox fan...don't get your hopes up. #DiceK

Old
12-14-2011, 11:36 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Wow. I feel sorry for chris Paul. The curse is alive and well and that's the end of his career haha. And Brandon Roy retired. Like I almost went into tears and I don't even mind admitting it. 26 is too young for anybody especially a rising superstar from my home state where we don't have a lot of pro athletes

Old
12-15-2011, 06:38 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
Take it from a die-hard Sox fan...don't get your hopes up. #DiceK
Ehh... I never really liked the way Matsuzaka pitched, for some reason. It seemed like once major league hitters got a book on him, he'd really struggle. Just nothing overpowering about him, and he doesn't have the precise control to compensate for it.

If anything, I'm worried about the Japanese posting system of bidding on their players: you pay a huge sum just for the right to NEGOTIATE with them, then you actually have to pay the player.
It's not my money, but it still automatically eliminates the lower half of teams in revenue from bidding on a potential star.

Oh, and I'm ALSO worried that he's spent his entire career playing for a team that calls itself the "Ham Fighters". There's some serious psychological damage right there that someone's going to have to deal with...

Old
12-15-2011, 06:46 AM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
not really a big NBA fan, but with Billups, Griffin, and now Paul....The Clippers are a force to be reckoned with finally.
Paul and Griffin together... :drool:

Can you just imagine the highlight montage of Paul feeding Griffin alley-oops that seem increasingly more absurd?

They've also still got some really athletic guys: Bledsoe, Butler, Foye, Gomes and if they can re-sign Jordan, Moon and Diogu they're going to have the NBA All-Slam Dunk team.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:09 AM
HebrewHammer
Pimpin' Puempel

Quote:
Ehh... I never really liked the way Matsuzaka pitched, for some reason. It seemed like once major league hitters got a book on him, he'd really struggle. Just nothing overpowering about him, and he doesn't have the precise control to compensate for it.

If anything, I'm worried about the Japanese posting system of bidding on their players: you pay a huge sum just for the right to NEGOTIATE with them, then you actually have to pay the player.
It's not my money, but it still automatically eliminates the lower half of teams in revenue from bidding on a potential star.

Oh, and I'm ALSO worried that he's spent his entire career playing for a team that calls itself the "Ham Fighters". There's some serious psychological damage right there that someone's going to have to deal with...
Haha but yeah, there's so many flaws. For example, there's absolutely nothing stopping the Red Sox from bidding $1 billion with ZERO intention of negotiating with Darvish, just to block the other teams. That loophole's gotta be fixed.

And there's just something about the Japanese...Darvish is a "surefire #1 ace", yeah okay, but recall, so was Dice-K. He also came with a gyroball and a consistent upper-90s fastball. Didn't see either. Be wary. Darvish may be an ace...he may a AAA pitcher.

Old
12-15-2011, 09:51 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
Haha but yeah, there's so many flaws. For example, there's absolutely nothing stopping the Red Sox from bidding $1 billion with ZERO intention of negotiating with Darvish, just to block the other teams. That loophole's gotta be fixed.

And there's just something about the Japanese...Darvish is a "surefire #1 ace", yeah okay, but recall, so was Dice-K. He also came with a gyroball and a consistent upper-90s fastball. Didn't see either. Be wary. Darvish may be an ace...he may a AAA pitcher.
Ugh, the "gyroball". A curveball that doesn't curve. A fastball that spins the laces around instead of back. No movement. Total trick pitch.

Anyways, I agree that Japanese pitchers are dicey, there's been no real consistency in what you're buying. I do think Darvish might be different, though... and considering the DiceK price and subsequent poor performance the past few years, I think that whoever gets Darvish won't pay NEAR what the Sox did to get Matsuzaka.

I will totally admit I've been high on Darvish for a while. He's a high-strikeout pitcher, which plays well in the AL East (if the Jays were in fact heavy bidders).

He absolutely could be the next Key Igawa, too. It's high-risk, high-reward to be sure. Regardless of how it turns out, I would definitely WATCH the games to find out.

Old
12-15-2011, 10:17 AM
HebrewHammer
Pimpin' Puempel

Quote:
Ugh, the "gyroball". A curveball that doesn't curve. A fastball that spins the laces around instead of back. No movement. Total trick pitch.

Anyways, I agree that Japanese pitchers are dicey, there's been no real consistency in what you're buying. I do think Darvish might be different, though... and considering the DiceK price and subsequent poor performance the past few years, I think that whoever gets Darvish won't pay NEAR what the Sox did to get Matsuzaka.

I will totally admit I've been high on Darvish for a while. He's a high-strikeout pitcher, which plays well in the AL East (if the Jays were in fact heavy bidders).

He absolutely could be the next Key Igawa, too. It's high-risk, high-reward to be sure. Regardless of how it turns out, I would definitely WATCH the games to find out.
I believe it was Buster Olney who was reporting that combined posting fee with contract, it should be right around $100M. Dice-K was $103M.

But yeah, as long as it brings intrigue and more fans, I guess Rogers would be happy

Old
12-15-2011, 11:13 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Apparently the Jays are the highest bidder for Darvish offering up 40 to 50 million dollars to NEGOTIATE with him. Good news for the Jays but baseball is insane. I love the sport but have 0 respect for what its become off the field.

Quote:
The Toronto Blue Jays may be in position to win the Yu Darvish sweepstakes.

According to the New York Post, the Blue Jays have made the highest bid for the negotiating rights to the Japanese starting pitcher.
http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=382856

Old
12-16-2011, 12:50 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Apparently the Jays are the highest bidder for Darvish offering up 40 to 50 million dollars to NEGOTIATE with him. Good news for the Jays but baseball is insane. I love the sport but have 0 respect for what its become off the field.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=382856
Pretty much my opinion.

That being said, I'll watch Jays games just to see how Darvish-to-MLB plays out. Something I wouldn't have done otherwise.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:51 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

My Chiefs are about to pull off the ultimate troll job.

Could the Colts win and Packers loose... lolwut?

Old
12-18-2011, 03:11 PM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

vCash: 611
Wow. That's all that can be said. Wow.

12-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Madskillz65

Well Yu Darvish is probably a bust anyways....

Old
12-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Madskillz65

Whats basketball

Old
12-19-2011, 11:36 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Blah blah blah..

I wanna hear about the Jays.. Don't Yu?

Who the hell is Brandon Roy and why is he retiring so early? I don't even care actually.

Old
12-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

aside from the MLB playoffs, baseball is for the most part really boring.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:05 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
If you'd like to discuss all other sports, you are more than welcome to post here. If you just want to complain, then don't post here (or anywhere for that matter). Those are your options.

Any further complaints of this thread (or quoting those posts) will earn you a thread ban and an infraction.

Old
12-20-2011, 02:21 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
aside from the MLB playoffs, baseball is for the most part really boring.
I never really liked it until I saw my first game live. Now I love it.

Old
12-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
I never really liked it until I saw my first game live. Now I love it.
Went to an Expos game 7 years ago......twas quite boring, saw a Mets game at Shea stadium 3 summers ago....wasn't impressed, ballpark food is pretty awesome though.

Old
12-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

So how about Yu Darvish? Not going to lie, I was hugely let down.

Last edited by Fugu: 12-20-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: will PM
Old
12-20-2011, 06:07 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

I wasn't really expecting him to sign here, but I was holding out hope. Would have been nice if they could have snagged him.

Closed Thread