HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Kruger handle a second line center role?

Old
12-14-2011, 02:44 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
Since Krüger is on the 2nd Line, we have won games. No, not because of Krüger. I repeat, Krüger isn't the reason.

But why change it while we are winning? We Win games AND can develop him. It's not that he is bad, but he just needs to adjust to the new role. He needed some time to be the good 4th Liner that deserves a promotion to the Top9, now he needs time to learn this role. As long as we are winning we can develop him here. And against the Sharks, he was "only" the #3 Center in the 3rd Period for most of the time

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:02 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
So far this season, Toews, Kane, and Sharp have all done really well when lined up next to Hossa. I think the reason is because Hossa is so strong on the puck- he stick handles better than almost anyone, and it's impossible to push him off the puck. He creates alot of space for our other scorers by doing so.

I'm not saying that Kruger is anywhere near, or ever will be, as good as Hossa, because that's lunacy. However some aspects of his game are strikingly similar, and the results are as well. What's been the biggest difference so far is the degree of his results- Hossa can fight off 3 opponents and then set up the goal. Kruger will never be able to do that. What he can and sometimes does do is shake off one guy and make some space, or win a board battle against much bigger and stronger guys. He's not strong like Hoss is, but he's fights almost as hard, and he has created chances by doing so.

Like I said, it's a role he still needs to finish growing into, and ideally, yes I'd like a legit 2C right now. He's our best option with where we are right now, and I see 2C as his ceiling. He's never a 1C on any team, and most 2Cs around the league will probably be a better option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
If Hossa's strength on the puck is his biggest asset, then kruger is the exact opposite of him. I've never seen a guy weaker with the puck than kruger. He gets touched and he falls over...
For the most part, I agree with these statements. Kruger has been given a cherry centering assignment with two top 20 NHL wingers, and he has no assists. He's a second line center on the Hawks right now because we don't have another option besides Sharp or Kane.

Kruger is defensively responsible, but has shown little offensive pop at this time.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:01 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
This post could not be further from the truth. All Kruger does is come out of corners with the puck and use his body to sheild the puck from opponents. I'm not saying he doesn't get overmatched, because he does, but "he gets touched and falls over"? Lawl.

When this kid puts on 10 pounds, he's going to be a special player.
I have yet to see Kruger walk off the wall with the puck. I've seen him make a couple of passes from a scrum but walk off the wall, really?

Last edited by Marotte Marauder: 12-14-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:19 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPHawksFan View Post
Kane should still be 2nd line center with Hossa at RW, IMO.
This. Or if Q feels it is too much for Kane, then Bolland or Sharp would be better choices for now.

I'm not going to keep repeating the same stuff about Kruger. It is there for all to see. He is still young, and is decent defensively and that is his upside; but as far as I'm concerned he cannot play on a 4th line, and he certainly is not ready for a 2nd line role. So if he is to remain with the Hawks, the 3rd line is where he should be, and on the wing would be preferred.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:39 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
If Hossa's strength on the puck is his biggest asset, then kruger is the exact opposite of him. I've never seen a guy weaker with the puck than kruger. He gets touched and he falls over...
I guess we'll just have to disagree then- because I think Krugers ability to hold onto the puck is a big reason why he earned the 2C job.

I mostly agree with HossTheBoss, except the bit about becoming a special player. I think he will be a solid 2C, but not special.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I guess we'll just have to disagree then- because I think Krugers ability to hold onto the puck is a big reason why he earned the 2C job.

I mostly agree with HossTheBoss, except the bit about becoming a special player. I think he will be a solid 2C, but not special.
Honestly, I think his EFFORT at a time where the team was mailing in losses, was why he was given the #2C job, and it's his until the team starts losing games again and Q jumbles things up.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:58 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
I have yet to see Kruger walk off the wall with the puck. I've seen him make a couple of passes from a scrum but walk off the wall, really?
I didn't say he "walks off the wall", I said all he does is come out of corners with the puck. I guess, what I was trying to say was he manages to win alot of 50/50 pucks in the corners and around the wall, unfortunately, he either pins himself or gets pinned once he gets the puck.

Like I said, when Kruger puts on a bit of weight, he's going to be very good.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Recoil

I've seen him win his share of puck battles along the boards for sure. He just doesn't much with it afterwards.

To the original post, CAN he "handle" a 2nd line Center role? Sure, I guess. If we don't have other options and have our expectations in line for what he brings to the offensive zone. But SHOULD we use him in a 2nd line Center role? The answer to that is No. It should be Kane, Sharp, Bolland before him.

As others and I have said. He is looking like a 3rd line player at this point, and I agree with BobbyJet. I'd rather see him on Bolland's wing down there.

If we are going to be a cup contending team, we need 3 scoring lines. Our 3rd line has been VERY quiet the last couple months. Bolland has been hurt (what else is new), Frolik and Bickell have disappeared. Kruger doesn't bring that offensive punch to the third line either, so if he is to be there, wing is the best bet for now.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:49 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Kruger's problem along the boards is the only thing he knows how to do after winning the puck is try and cycle. He's decent offensively off the rush and he does go to the net, but the longer the puck is in the offensive zone the less effective he becomes.

He's an emergency top six player at this point. I wouldn't mind seeing a third line of
Kruger - Bolland - Frolik, even though it only has one shooter and would get overmatched physically.

This team is in dire need of either a bonafide second line center or a very solid two way third line forward.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Eh, its not like the Sharp/Kruger/Hossa line wasn't getting chances or maintaining puck possession, I thought they were really strong in the Coyotes game. I see the skill in Kruger, he just needs to play more and get stronger. Both those things will come, he's going to be a Blackhawk for a long time.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
This team is in dire need of either a bonafide second line center or a very solid two way third line forward.
Agreed. With $7 mil they can afford both if Bowman can find the right guys.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote